Records Upon First Hearing That Blow You Away

Records upon first hearing that blow you away .....

I have just heard a record for the first time that has simply blown me away .....

That record was " This Is My Song " by Ray Pollard ....

A simply blinding version of the Harry Secombe / Petula Clarke standard ; I just cannot believe what I have heard .....

So soulful , so heart wrenching , so brilliant ; words cannot do it justice .....

What record you have heard recently that has this affect of you ?

Nathan Williams - What Price

Never get tired of hearing it

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Without a doubt - the intro is soooooo High Energy.

The backing is far too electronic sounding.

And it goes on for about a minute too long.

On the plus side the blokes got a decent set of pipes, shame the backing spoils it.

Maybe Ian ought to drop the production side and concentrate on the writing, passing the lyrics onto someone who can do the singers justice?

It was made in 2007, not 1967. The backing doesn't sound electronic to me, sounds like real instruments. Some of it sampled maybe but real instruments nonetheless.

But why dissect it like this. it's a damn good northern dance track IMO, and I'm sure plenty would get up and dance to it, were it played out.

Phil

Social source share

You asked why I thought it was poor - how could I tell you without dissecting it?

Next time I'll just say "because it's shit"...

Very sorry Chief Inspector Pikeys Dog of the Soul Police. I obviously haven't got a clue about soul, northern soul or even music in general.

I will in future stop posting and bothering you soul gurus and just watch on in wonder, with a forlorn hope of maybe learning something.

Once again, my apologies.

Social source share

Very sorry Chief Inspector Pikeys Dog of the Soul Police. I obviously haven't got a clue about soul, northern soul or even music in general.

I will in future stop posting and bothering you soul gurus and just watch on in wonder, with a forlorn hope of maybe learning something.

Once again, my apologies.

Don't get the arse just because I think one track is shite - it's all about personal opinions.

Soul Police - you're avvin a tin baff aincha?

I'd have been banged up for crimes against Northern Soul years ago for even liking R&B that borders on Rock n' Roll.

Social source share

Don't get the arse just because I think one track is shite - it's all about personal opinions.

Soul Police - you're avvin a tin baff aincha?

I'd have been banged up for crimes against Northern Soul years ago for even liking R&B that borders on Rock n' Roll.

Liking R n B? I agree you deffo should be banged up for that :hypo:

Social source share

It would appear that we do - amazing. However my finding RnB for the most part tedious and distasteful obviously still doesn't qualify me to have an opinion on anything :hypo:

I must stress it is the Rockabilly, Danny & The Junior, greasy quiff waving type of RnB that i don't like. There ain't nothing wrong with a little bump n grind however :lol:

Social source share

I must stress it is the Rockabilly, Danny & The Junior, greasy quiff waving type of RnB that i don't like. There ain't nothing wrong with a little bump n grind however :no:

Bump N Grind :hypo::lol:

Johnny Copeland. Little Milton Chuck Jackson, Etta James etc all R&B and all fabulous. Agree with you on the rockabilly stuff tho'

Social source share

Bump N Grind :hypo::lol:

Johnny Copeland. Little Milton Chuck Jackson, Etta James etc all R&B and all fabulous. Agree with you on the rockabilly stuff tho'

tony clark - wrong man, blew me away first time i heard it THEN.....

did the same thing when i heard it played by chris forrest at newark because it was soooo long since i first heard it i'd all but forgotten it.

in another 30 years (when i'm 79 yrs old i hope it does it to me again) :no:

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

as Mark says there have been many records that have blown me away over the years. Most recently it was Ward Burtons "Sweet Temptation" it sounds pretty good at home but played out WOW you just have to hit the floor :lol: and no i don't own a copy :) but i can dream :lol:
Allright Phil,have to agree the Ward Burton 45 is gorgeous.Soul-Sam was playing it early nineties.

Regards-Soul-Sid :)

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

Franki Karl-You should a held on-Philtown,Four Perfections-Im not strong enough-Partytime

Malibus-Gee Baby-Shureshot,Nomads-somethins bad-Mogrove,agents-Trouble-Liberty Bell

Awesome northern soul from the halcyon days. :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert