Records Upon First Hearing That Blow You Away

Records upon first hearing that blow you away .....

I have just heard a record for the first time that has simply blown me away .....

That record was " This Is My Song " by Ray Pollard ....

A simply blinding version of the Harry Secombe / Petula Clarke standard ; I just cannot believe what I have heard .....

So soulful , so heart wrenching , so brilliant ; words cannot do it justice .....

What record you have heard recently that has this affect of you ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have just heard a record for the first time that has simply blown me away .....

A simply blinding version of the Harry Secombe / Petula Clarke standard ; I just cannot believe what I have heard .....

So soulful , so heart wrenching , so brilliant ; words cannot do it justice .....

Malc Burton

Quite a few...that unfortunately I dont know the titles off...Delxxx

Social source share

Malc Burton

can you put a sound bite up, so we can hear it, I have not heard that version, cant think of a tune recently thats had that effect on me, the most recent, was for me, when john Weston played the Ventura's, heart of love, quite some time ago , its a dancer, and blew me away, I think its a most brilliant track, but not to everybody's taste though!

and my husband does not share my enthusiasm for this particular tune :rolleyes:

Social source share

can you put a sound bite up, so we can hear it, I have not heard that version, cant think of a tune recently thats had that effect on me, the most recent, was for me, when john Weston played the Ventura's, heart of love, quite some time ago , its a dancer, and blew me away, I think its a most brilliant track, but not to everybody's taste though!

and my husband does not share my enthusiasm for this particular tune :unsure:

well he is tone deaf :rolleyes:

Social source share

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but .....

NOEL McKOY - SKATING ON THIN ICE is one of the best tracks that I've heard recently.

This is one of the tracks off Levine's Northernsoul 2007 album.

It is absolutely fantastic, uptempo proper stomping soul to my ears, right from the first bar.

Love it.

Phil

Social source share

and my husband does not share my enthusiasm for this particular tune :rolleyes:

I have a copy of this (Ventura's) for sale if anyone's interested?

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but .....

NOEL McKOY - SKATING ON THIN ICE is one of the best tracks that I've heard recently.

This is one of the tracks off Levine's Northernsoul 2007 album.

It is absolutely fantastic, uptempo proper stomping soul to my ears, right from the first bar.

Love it.

Phil

and there is spanner thinking Woody is tone deaf :):lol: sorry you was expecting something :D

Social source share

What don't you like about this particular track? To my ears it's got everything.

Have you heard it?

No i aint heard it to be honest but would like to hear it after you reccomendation,

you got a sound file Phil

Social source share

Many records have blown me away over the years when I first heard them but one that sticks in my mind is Freddie Houston - If I Had Known - Old Town, first heard 'Keb Darge' play this back in the early 80's around Stafford Top Of The World time covered up as 'Herb Ward' I think? wow hairs on the back of the kneck time or what, just had to find out what it was, just had to get one and it took me about 6 months to locate a copy which I got from the late 'Pete Lawson', still have that same white demo in my collection today and it still does it for me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

No i aint heard it to be honest but would like to hear it after you reccomendation,

you got a sound file Phil

I think he has a blinding voice - I played "Diplomats of Soul feat Noel McKoy" "Someday" the old Donny hatherway track..at the IOW this year..

For Me it would have to be "I walked Away" Bobby Paris.. I remember hearing that song for the first time 23 years ago.. going out and buying it on SOS..

Real Soul.... even now I get goosebumps and the funny thing is I have only just got round to buying it.. I never wanted it as I always knew if I had it it would loose its ooommph for me but have managed to only play it 3 or 4 times indoors since the end of July.

and here it canadian issue

post-970-1189691411_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I think he has a blinding voice - I played "Diplomats of Soul feat Noel McKoy" "Someday" the old Donny hatherway track..at the IOW this year..

For Me it would have to be "I walked Away" Bobby Paris.. I remember hearing that song for the first time 23 years ago.. going out and buying it on SOS..

Real Soul.... even now I get goosebumps and the funny thing is I have only just got round to buying it.. I never wanted it as I always knew if I had it it would loose its ooommph for me but have managed to only play it 3 or 4 times indoors since the end of July.

and here it canadian issue

Bobby Paris....ahh...I remember hearing this for the first time, going up the stairs and my younger brother blasting it out of the speakers! I knew then and there that I would prise it out of his hands with the temptation of a few marbles.... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Bobby Paris....ahh...I remember hearing this for the first time, going up the stairs and my younger brother blasting it out of the speakers! I knew then and there that I would prise it out of his hands with the temptation of a few marbles.... biggrin.gif

:thumbsup::cheese1: Marbles well spent... has he still got them or has he lost them now? :rolleyes:

If he hasn't he Will do when you tell him how much it costs now. :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

For Me it would have to be "I walked Away" Bobby Paris..

Great shout. Same for me. Reminds me of when I heard Northern Soul for the first time.

This is the end - is another.

But remembering Suspision's first play at Stafford still makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

More recently, my brother bought me the DVD box set of the Paul Smith play and documentary. On the Cd the Harry Deal track nearly knocked me to the floor. Paul Mac told me on here i'd been hearing it for ages at Soul in the City, but until I heard it at home it hadnt registered.

Few things in Northern Soul land come close hearing a really great tune for the first time.

Social source share

Jackie Wilson - Because of you, that was the tune theat made me sit up and listen to what i now know as The Northern Soul scene about 4 years ago :unsure:

his vocals in them first few lines is bloody awsome :thumbsup:

Social source share

Frankie Crocker - Ton Of Dynamite

Honey & The Bees - Dynamite Exploded

The Exciters - Blowing Up My Mind

Bob Relf - Blowing My Mind To Pieces

Ahaaar.

The question was "What record you have heard recently that has this affect of you ? "

Surely you heard these a bit longer ago than recently?

That's why I mentioned the Noel McKoy track.

Phil

Social source share

The question was "What record you have heard recently that has this affect of you ? "

Surely you heard these a bit longer ago than recently?

That's why I mentioned the Noel McKoy track.

Phil

Has Ian got you on his payroll? :P

Derek

Social source share

Four Temples - All of my life

Maqueraders - Rainy day

Luther Ingram - Oh baby dont you weep

Boss Men (title escapes me)

Jonathan Capree - Gonna build me a mountain

Magicians - Love lets try it again

and the list goes on

One that i wanted to blow my self away with a sawn off shot gun King Moses...............

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Malc Burton

Quite recently for me it has to be STAR-TREKS---Gonna need magic just blew me away had to get me one

ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS.

Steve.A

Social source share

Malc Burton

Sam Dees - After All

heard it at an alldayer in Hull in late 80's, stood up against wall with pint in hand and didn't touch a drop from start to finish ;-) totally blew me away.

steve

Social source share

I had stated on another post that its only a few months ago I heard Ann Robinson's vocal to Bird Walking, World of happiness, and was really into it.

Also just heard another vocal to Clarance Carters If it dont fit dont force it, for the first time, but not sure artist, title, label etc (although its on DJ Honkey freebie CD). Still its nice to still get a buzz from 'newies' or at least newies to me.

Ed

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

as Mark says there have been many records that have blown me away over the years. Most recently it was Ward Burtons "Sweet Temptation" it sounds pretty good at home but played out WOW you just have to hit the floor :( and no i don't own a copy :no: but i can dream :huh:

have you heard MARTHA STAR'S version......absolutely brill......someone play it

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

THE GIRL GROUP SOUND COVERED AS BELITA WOODS.......FOOLISH GIRL....WHAT A FU*KER THAT IS...ROBERT TANNER SWEET MEMORIES.....ARTHUR WILLIS.....and lastly THE LIBERATION STREET SINGERS what a pounding uptempo tune that is....you just gotta hear that

Social source share

Malc Burton

aways wondered if there was a soul version of this song Petula Clarke is good but please, please, please , lets hear Ray Pollards version please!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Way back in 1975 ish. first blown away when i heard ---Edward Hamilton--Baby Don,t you weep--Mary JANE--still ave a soft spot for it---many others stopped me in my tracks (on first hearing) Star treks,already mentioned--Blues time in Birmingham--Frankie Saunders---but in the last year

Let the fool kiss you--Velvets--Monument 961

Best thing 4 years

Regards

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Has Ian got you on his payroll? :ohmy:

Derek

What? If I state an opinion or express a liking for a record that you don't agree with or like I'm on Levine's payroll?

Anyone who really knows me would tell you that just is not the way I work.

If Ian was paying me (not that I would take his or anyone elses money) I still wouldn't pretend to like something that I didn't.

You're raving up the wrong tree my friend.

Social source share

What? If I state an opinion or express a liking for a record that you don't agree with or like I'm on Levine's payroll?

Anyone who really knows me would tell you that just is not the way I work.

If Ian was paying me (not that I would take his or anyone elses money) I still wouldn't pretend to like something that I didn't.

You're raving up the wrong tree my friend.

I was only kidding Phil :ohmy:

Derek

Social source share

since joining this website and following leads to others im finding and listening to so many tunes that id never heard in the mid to late 70s-early 80s that i cannot believe the same old oldies get churned over time after time dont get me wrong i love the oldies and used to attend the oldies nighters at wigan mostly in Ms but stuff im hearing now like nita rossi ronnie walker brenda byers sharon soul ect ect the list is endless i just wish the djs who must have brilliant collections would just delve a little deeper and play some of the brilliant danceable lesser known tracks

Social source share

If you didn't know it was a Levine track would it still stink?

I think it's really good. A good dancers track.

Without a doubt - the intro is soooooo High Energy.

The backing is far too electronic sounding.

And it goes on for about a minute too long.

On the plus side the blokes got a decent set of pipes, shame the backing spoils it.

Maybe Ian ought to drop the production side and concentrate on the writing, passing the lyrics onto someone who can do the singers justice?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert