willsy

• Replies 50
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

what is the best previously unissued track they put out???

hmm, i think it depends on what style you prefer, solid uptempo northern, midtempo, ballads, crossover, 70s, etc.

so from a uptempo northern point of view: melba moore - magic touch

played to death i know but putting that aside it's one of the finest examples of what northern soul is about (IMHO)...

Social source share

Blimey, what a question to ask....

I always liked:

Fawns - He's Barbara's Guy

San Francisco TKO's- Make up your Mind

Dean & Jean - Silly little Girl

Forgot art gentry - this is my chance, that came out on that 12" promo Kent put out, anybody got a copy?

mal.C. :thumbup:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Shouldn't really be this one, as my real favourites are usually 100mph 60's stompers or a meaty beat ballad. But i just can't help loving the 'Dean Courtney' track 'Love Is So Wonderful' !

Just love the tempo changes & the sublime instrumentation, or arrangement as i guess they call it, not out & out Northern but a magical midtempo song with real high quality production i think :thumbup: Love it !

Social source share

hmm, i think it depends on what style you prefer, solid uptempo northern, midtempo, ballads, crossover, 70s, etc.

so from a uptempo northern point of view: melba moore - magic touch

played to death i know but putting that aside it's one of the finest examples of what northern soul is about (IMHO)...

I just love that record.....

Social source share

I just love that record.....

I Like it, but still prefer the 'Bobby Fuller Four' version myself ! Great piece of manic blue eyed soul !

Got one for sale in the sales thread if anyone interested :thumbup:

Social source share

I nominate the following, but really there are hundreds of equally worthy contenders:

Carla Thomas "Loneliness"

Garland Green "Come Through Me"

John Edwards "Tin Man"

I've stated before that the discovery and more importantly the release of tunes like "Torture" and "The Magic Touch" had a crucial impact in spreading the rare soul word for people under forty across the globe.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Can you believe that the record company didn't think this was good enough to release at the time??? It's got just about every ingredient the perfect Northern Soul record should have I reckon

:lol: you just know when you hear the intro your gonna get quality.

I'm still looking for an anniversary copy as well....wish I'd never sold mine :D

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Chuck Jackson "What's With This Loneliness" gets a lot of shouts... quite rightly - a magnificent record.

What about:-

Sharon Scott "It's Better" - Just an Incredible and Oh So Soulful Femme Dancer... my absolute favourite by her. If it had ever been issued.... what price this baby on a 45!

Roy Hamilton "Let The Music Play" - I've other versions by the Drifters & Dionne Warwick but this takes the Biccy... by a mile! Love it.

Carla Thomas "I'll Never Stop Loving You" - Ultimate (and still very popular) Crossover monster that blew me away when I first heard it.

All great tunes that would still be dead and buried were it not for Kent.

:D

Social source share

For me its

ben e kings gettin to me

willie kendrick she be leaving you , anyone know the other version of this ?

theres loads i love , ibett i'v read the cd sleeve notes 20 times !

cheers harbro horace !! :rolleyes:

forgot dean courtney today is my day !!!

i remember being at the 100 club when he dropped all the new rca stuff out !! mind blowing!!

Edited by bro
Social source share

Yes, thank you very much Mr Croasdell :rolleyes:

You offering to sell this dave?

Have to add:

Little ann - Deep Shadows

Also How about that Orthea Barnes - Never leave me / Acetate that I was told sold by Ady to Dave Flynn, worth a release on kent? or have I just got the wrong end of the stick.....

Mal.C

Social source share

don't you know a true love when you see one , great track can,t remember who me cd's are boxed away {pesky things!} same as the ojays on uk now or us bell ?

also sharon scott you only live twice ,f*ckin brill , was this a bid for a james bond theme? always meant to ask aidy that. :rolleyes:

Social source share

i can't quite remember if its the same vocal , i think it is ,a bit faster and i think it was a butch spin ?

are you out there aidy

It's Nancy Wilcox that I've been playing from original acetate for a few years. Ginger recently bought one off me too so you might have heard him play it.

My Faves in no order

Carla Thomas

Little Ann Who Are You Trying To Fool

Kenny Carter Finger and You'd better Get Hip Girl

Both Sharon Scotts

Ben E King

Torture (but not Magic Touch though I love it and can see why it's so popular)

Magicians

I'm sure there are another couple i can't think of.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It's Nancy Wilcox that I've been playing from original acetate for a few years. Ginger recently bought one off me too so you might have heard him play it.

My Faves in no order

Carla Thomas

Both Sharon Scotts

Ben E King

Magicians

One of my most vivd memories of the 100, is this playing and dancing just by me are Wendy, Fifties Dave, Karen, Buey, Lenny D, Marco, Rob Holmes and my brother. I was watching their faces and everysingle one of them was totally lost in their own extasy.

Really, if you could bottle that......

And thats why its my choice, along with Peggy Gaines, for the memory of Mark and fiona's 'first dance' at their wedding, and all the non soulie guests asking me afterwards what that great song was.

Social source share

One of my most vivd memories of the 100, is this playing and dancing just by me are Wendy, Fifties Dave, Karen, Buey, Lenny D, Marco, Rob Holmes and my brother. I was watching their faces and everysingle one of them was totally lost in their own extasy.

Really, if you could bottle that......

And thats why its my choice, along with Peggy Gaines, for the memory of Mark and fiona's 'first dance' at their wedding, and all the non soulie guests asking me afterwards what that great song was.

Ha Ha... Cool.

M

Social source share

My Faves in no order

Carla Thomas

Both Sharon Scotts

Ben E King

Magicians

Also the flip too Ady...'I Got Love'...what another Northern stormer!!!

Presume this was unissued too?

Social source share

Bearsy those two aren't unreleased tracks...it was whats your favourite unreleased Kent track.

:thumbsup: must read the title a tad better next time i thinks, sorry :lol:

Social source share

An excellent post that just has to be answered.....but what a choice.

Its torture - Maxine Brown (my fave lady)

Losing my touch - Maxine Brown

Come through me - Garland Green

It gets to me - Ben E King

How can I make it without you - John Edwards

Whats with this loneliness - Chuck Jackson

Millionaire - Chuck Jackson

I know where you are coming from - Sam Dees

Love is gone - Choice of colours

Whats that on your finger - Kenny Carter

You only life twice - Lorraine Chandler

Magic Touch - Melba Moore

The list goes on....and I cant give my fave!

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Loved all the big city soul stuff chuck jackson little by little Tune.

But for me its gotta be the double header Debra Johnson/The Diplomats anniversary 45 CLASS

Al H cool.gif

Social source share

The intro on Melba Moore jeesus dont come much better.

Little Anns who are you trying to fool right up the top for me, The Metros is class to

Imagin playing little ann at a club who've never herd N S befor and the reaction you'd get bet it would go down a storm, proper hard soul

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Another one for Melba Moore here, its got everything. Brilliant vocals, tempo changes.. you know you've danced when thats finished.

That and I was the first scooter rally DJ to play it on the Horace release, Scarborough 198something, Olivers Mount mudbath. It came out on the morning of the rally and i was about first in the queue.

Not much of a claim to fame though as it had been around on the LP for a bit by then :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Chuck Jackson - What's With This Loneliness

YEP,

I AGREE DAVE.......HOWEVER, ID HAVE TO ADD THESE.....

GARLAND GREEN "SINCE YOUVE BEEN GONE"

JOHN EDWARDS "AINT THAT GOOD ENOUGH"

JOHN EDWARDS "THE WALLS THAT SEPERATE US"

TOMMY HUNT "THE PRETTY PART OF YOU"

TED TAYLOR "FAIR WARNING"

CARLA THOMAS "I`LL NEVER STOP LOVING YOU"

JOHN EDWARDS "TIN MAN"

AND THERES MANY MORE

BEST,IVOR

Social source share

what about happiness will cost you one thin dime

look my way

meant to say

happiness will cost you one thin dime by betty lavett thats on living the nightlife cd

and maurice williams look my way on kent lp 089 soul cities

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert