So Angry Is This The End Of An Allnighter Career?

Guest Scarborosoul

i for one don't want uptempo all nite.Let's have some amount of the unpredictable in a set.Uptempo all nite?.Some of the top dj's don't do that.

Hasn't the scene evolved from just "uptempo dance music"??

Midtempo for 8/9 records one after the other??.Surely it depends on where you are,and at what time of the nite?

Social source share

• Replies 175
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I love my mid-tempo stuff, but a good DJ spot has to vary the tempo within that set. Startoff with uptempo, take it down a bit, bring it back up so it's cookin for the following DJ. Got to have some mid-tempo in a set, IMHO. How can you deny the likes of Monique, Cynthia & Imaginary Three, Robert Tanner etc? Any DJ that knows his craft can play a good cross-section AND keep the floor moving!

Yep your right, no doubt...if a DJ can't do this then maybe he should not be spinnin em at all :lol: , must be able to read the floor...not as easy as some think...I know I could not do it.....just dont have the skills

Bazza

Social source share

I love my mid-tempo stuff, but a good DJ spot has to vary the tempo within that set. Startoff with uptempo, take it down a bit, bring it back up so it's cookin for the following DJ. Got to have some mid-tempo in a set, IMHO. How can you deny the likes of Monique, Cynthia & Imaginary Three, Robert Tanner etc? Any DJ that knows his craft can play a good cross-section AND keep the floor moving!

:lol:

Social source share

Robert Tanner :lol: ,you would say that tune now Trev after you spent your dinner money on it the other week...

Yes a mix of tempo for me,done with skill and timing from a good dj...More mid tempo in a soul club and faster stuff at all niters for the folk who never sleep...

Don't dwell on the tempo thing too long though..I danced to a fast tune at Barnsley all niter the other week and the dj said its mid tempo over the mic :lol: ...Maybe we have

Slow beat ballads

Mid tempo floaters

upper mid tempo

fast

and then Towanda Barnes and the like for the folk on big medication ph34r.gif ...

Put this topic to bed now sleep3.gif..

Sorry to mention good dj :ohmy: ,now thats open for debate too :D ..Like the song says "we go round in circles"..

Love and peace x

Social source share

Seems to me there's a few who don't know their craft then.

I've seen one or two acclaimed DJs play an hour of lovely crossover to an empty dance-floor that they pay no attention to. On the monday you read on here what a good set it was... so why don't the admirers dance then? :wicked:

Social source share

Could not agree more. I would even say, go to the bar or sit down if you need a breather rather than have a the DJ put a mid tempo track on so you can shuffle around holding your knees and having a "breather".

Dave Rimmer nearly killed me with his first 8 tracks at Rugby but I crawled off the floor when I could not take it anymore to leave others to enjoy themselves. If he had slowed it all down so the likes of me could have a breather that would mean everyone would have to slow down.

All too often I've seen mid tempo sets kill a floor and eventually the whole night. Once the tumble weed starts to roll across the floor people just start to chat, have a cigarette and eventually grab their bags and run.

Leave the "mid tempo madness" for in the car on the way home, not at a nighter.

ATB

Doc

Amen to that! :wicked:

Social source share

Seems to me there's a few who don't know their craft then.

I've seen one or two acclaimed DJs play an hour of lovely crossover to an empty dance-floor that they pay no attention to. On the monday you read on here what a good set it was... so why don't the admirers dance then? :wicked:

I know many folk who are happy with mid tempo /crossover but don't dance,maybe its not always the floor that dictates the soul event??? the floor dictates more at a niter for sure thatn a smaller club with small dancefloor and mid tempo/crossover tunes a plenty..Many folk too who will only dance to the faster northern stuff and don't feel confident dancing to slower stuff but love it all the same...Its been said before Dave,we have a such a cross section of folk now that its not as easy as it was many moons ago to please all in one venue with one room....We are gonna have more and more folk going venues who don't dance anymore because of age etc,all this will take the toll on venues with large dancefloors looking half empty..I have promoted and played at clubs that can go both ways,have a larger dancefloor for some events and smaller one with more seating for others too...

Like i said,this thread was started with regards to niters and i and others are talking about all formats of club...Yes all niters with 80% or more of faster tunes for most....

Social source share

Yep your right, no doubt...if a DJ can't do this then maybe he should not be spinnin em at all :lol: , must be able to read the floor...not as easy as some think...I know I could not do it.....just dont have the skills

Bazza

i think the problem with that is that some audiences can be fickle. what they dance to one weekend they won't to another..how many records would you have to carry around..It has to be a reflection of the dj's taste..today's empty dancefloor, 10 years times biggest record..

:wicked:ohmy.gif

Social source share

I know many folk who are happy with mid tempo /crossover but don't dance,maybe its not always the floor that dictates the soul event??? the floor dictates more at a niter for sure thatn a smaller club with small dancefloor and mid tempo/crossover tunes a plenty..Many folk too who will only dance to the faster northern stuff and don't feel confident dancing to slower stuff but love it all the same...Its been said before Dave,we have a such a cross section of folk now that its not as easy as it was many moons ago to please all in one venue with one room....We are gonna have more and more folk going venues who don't dance anymore because of age etc,all this will take the toll on venues with large dancefloors looking half empty..I have promoted and played at clubs that can go both ways,have a larger dancefloor for some events and smaller one with more seating for others too...

Like i said,this thread was started with regards to niters and i and others are talking about all formats of club...Yes all niters with 80% or more of faster tunes for most....

Yes, I know what you mean Steve, and I was talking about nighters.

For me, whether I'm dancing or not, there's always more of a buzz if the music has some urgency and folks are on the floor.

Social source share

I've never played a set without playing Monique - that tempo is great - I'm talking about your George Freeman "Down And Out" type records which a snail could keep up with

Social source share

Yes, I know what you mean Steve, and I was talking about nighters.

For me, whether I'm dancing or not, there's always more of a buzz if the music has some urgency and folks are on the floor.

Good point Dave..I know what kind of urgency you require shades.gif ...Like you say,its a niter thread really...Hope to see you for some urgency quite soon.. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

100 mph All night you must be Joking...I would be well peed off..why is it then if thats the case, do the 2 and 3 room nighters do so well.....could it be some folk dont want 100mph all night :wicked: get a grip some of ya, if the DJ knows his stuff he will keep the place moving..playing tunes to suit everybody's taste

Bazza

looks to me like some folks are stuck in a time loop 35 years ago....

I agree.

If you can't sit and abide one set that may not be to your taste with the promise of other djs to come then thats a pretty poor show in my opinion.

(Hell I have to put up with these 6ts records whenever I venture out laugh.gif )

I'm not a big allnighter or uptempo person but I find djs that play 100mph records when the cleaner is still putting her mop away frankly a bit comical, and djs that do try something different early doors are lambasted for it.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I agree.

If you can't sit and abide one set that may not be to your taste with the promise of other djs to come then thats a pretty poor show in my opinion.

(Hell I have to put up with these 6ts records whenever I venture out laugh.gif )

I'm not a big allnighter or northern person but I find djs that play 100mph records when the cleaner is still putting her mop away frankly a bit comical, and djs that do try something different early doors are lambasted for it.

Very diplomatic post Richard :wicked: Good point with regards to djs who play early doors :lol:

Social source share

I agree.

(Hell I have to put up with these 6ts records whenever I venture out :wicked: )

I'm not a big allnighter or northern person but I find djs that play 100mph records when the cleaner is still putting her mop away frankly a bit comical, and djs that do try something different early doors are lambasted for it.

Well said sir, so we should conclude that the likes of 'The Attic' - Mansfield, 'Different Kettle Of Fish' - Peterborough, 'Silks' - Wellingborough, 'DDA' - Lowton, 'The Orwell' - Wigan, 'Lifeline' etc. etc. and several other venues who cater for and encourage a broader music policy to keep doing what they are doing because there is an audience out there for such venues.

We have to have outlets for the obscure and different records to be played what ever the tempo, keeps it intersting I think.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Could not agree more. I would even say, go to the bar or sit down if you need a breather rather than have a the DJ put a mid tempo track on so you can shuffle around holding your knees and having a "breather".

Dave Rimmer nearly killed me with his first 8 tracks at Rugby but I crawled off the floor when I could not take it anymore to leave others to enjoy themselves. If he had slowed it all down so the likes of me could have a breather that would mean everyone would have to slow down.

All too often I've seen mid tempo sets kill a floor and eventually the whole night. Once the tumble weed starts to roll across the floor people just start to chat, have a cigarette and eventually grab their bags and run.

Leave the "mid tempo madness" for in the car on the way home, not at a nighter.

ATB

Doc

I promise I'll try harder next time :wicked:laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Its time some DJs realised its dance music,that they should play be it 60s or newies,some DJs play records that are good soul sounds but not dancers,this is when they land on their arses.

Kev :P

Spot on thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Well said sir, so we should conclude that the likes of 'The Attic' - Mansfield, 'Different Kettle Of Fish' - Peterborough, 'Silks' - Wellingborough, 'DDA' - Lowton, 'The Orwell' - Wigan, 'Lifeline' etc. etc. and several other venues who cater for and encourage a broader music policy to keep doing what they are doing because there is an audience out there for such venues.

We have to have outlets for the obscure and different records to be played what ever the tempo, keeps it intersting I think.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Don't really get that.

Several of those are not all-nighters.

Just because they have a "broader music policy", does that mean they are clogged up with mid-tempo background music?

Any reason for singling out those particular venues? whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Do you think its better if the DJs are dancers or have been dancers at one time,and not chin strokers,and have the feel for a good dance tune,I like R&B,60s and newies as long as its Dance Music,and not this Soul lullaby music that kills the night.

Kev wicked.gif

In a word YES

Social source share

Looked at the playlists on events lookback & get the impression it was another Northern oldies night.

To single out Paul Metcalfe for playing Spiral Starecase & Johnny Moore (which also got played by someone else) is a tad harsh.

Would the people who criticised care to list what they wanted to hear instead of telling us vaguely what they didn't.

Better still how about getting yourselves behind a pair of 1210s & showing us how it should be done.

Social source share

After reading through this and other threads, I'm starting to lose the will to live - by the way, what's this thread about, or are people chipping in to justify their own core values about the music, coz if you are ...............DON'T, you don't need to, the great thing about this "scene" is that the rules are there to be broken, that's what's kept it underground, and exciting, play what you F***ing believe in, do some digging for tunes that give you a buzz beyond belief, push 'em, play 'em and let's bring some more passion & fun back into the scene! I'm getting tired of these "Hot Topics" of "Dancing D.J.'s", "OVO", "Across The Boards", "Connoisseurs Nights", etc etc etc etc etc and any other "jargon" you wish to tag onto this wonderful music. God help us if we all started looking at the scene with "Half Full" glasses.I don't want to offend anyone contributing to this and other similar threads, coz you've all got something to offer, but ALL THIS NEGATIVITY IS GETTING TIRESOME!

Des Parker

Edited by SOUL.INC
Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

After reading through this and other threads, I'm starting to lose the will to live -

Des Parker

desmond

don't do it oh alright come around mine tomorrow i've got something to help do :tongue:

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

After reading through this and other threads, I'm starting to lose the will to live - by the way, what's this thread about, or are people chipping in to justify their own core values about the music, coz if you are ...............DON'T, you don't need to, the great thing about this "scene" is that the rules are there to be broken, that's what's kept it underground, and exciting, play what you F***ing believe in, do some digging for tunes that give you a buzz beyond belief, push 'em, play 'em and let's bring some more passion & fun back into the scene! I'm getting tired of these "Hot Topics" of "Dancing D.J.'s", "OVO", "Across The Boards", "Connoisseurs Nights", etc etc etc etc etc and any other "jargon" you wish to tag onto this wonderful music. God help us if we all started looking at the scene with "Half Full" glasses.I don't want to offend anyone contributing to this and other similar threads, coz you've all got something to offer, but ALL THIS NEGATIVITY IS GETTING TIRESOME!

Des Parker

But it's fun :wicked:

Social source share

Don't really get that.

Several of those are not all-nighters.

Just because they have a "broader music policy", does that mean they are clogged up with mid-tempo background music?

Any reason for singling out those particular venues? whistling.gif

hi DAVE ,me again.MUST STOP MEETING LIKE THIS!!.True ,not all niters on the list,but at those venues maybe Mark means they may be a little braver than some others.

One venue in particular has wannabee's with no reputation to lose!!!

CAN YOU GUESS WHO IT IS YET? :D ,clogged up???.Don't think so!!.

Till next time,,your friendly adversary,,KEV. :P

Social source share

Looked at the playlists on events lookback & get the impression it was another Northern oldies night.

To single out Paul Metcalfe for playing Spiral Starecase & Johnny Moore (which also got played by someone else) is a tad harsh.

Would the people who criticised care to list what they wanted to hear instead of telling us vaguely what they didn't.

Better still how about getting yourselves behind a pair of 1210s & showing us how it should be done.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

FFS i was not singling out PM for playing the said sounds, i singled him out for playing slow not mid tempo!!!!! and then trying to up the tempo with pop fecking music!!!! I have never been a dj or promoter but if yr offering the loan of yr sounds and a venue i will gladly get up and do a spot and everyone of them mid tempo or not would be a dancer but most would be up tempo if not 1oomph

Social source share

hi DAVE ,me again.MUST STOP MEETING LIKE THIS!!.True ,not all niters on the list,but at those venues maybe Mark means they may be a little braver than some others.

One venue in particular has wannabee's with no reputation to lose!!!

CAN YOU GUESS WHO IT IS YET? :P ,clogged up???.Don't think so!!.

Till next time,,your friendly adversary,,KEV. thumbsup.gif

Hello Kev, fancy seeing you here! :D

Yep, maybe he does. Braver? In dress sense? Sexuality? Playlists? Who knows?

Sorry, can't guess mate.. you'll have to slap a bit more paint on the canvas.

A'dieu

Social source share

I'm amazed that this thread has had over 130 replies and more than 6,400 views.

One person wasn't very happy with the music played by a certain DJ at a certain event.

No disrespect but this isn't exactly world news. We all have different tastes so it must happen to quite a few people every week.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

This is a quite outrageous remark young man (or woman) how dare you demand to be entertained,

this is not what rare soul is about. DJ's are here, and I quote, "to educate the public". If this was

my list I'd kick you off right away, you troublemaker............................................................

PS I've informed the Soul Police, expecta summons anytime now !!!!

Chris L

YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE HITSVILLE WEEKENDER

DJ

Social source share

One person wasn't very happy with the music played by a certain DJ at a certain event.

No disrespect but this isn't exactly world news. We all have different tastes so it must happen to quite a few people every week.

Paul Mooney

amazing isn't it. who in their right minds would post on this thread?... :thumbup:

well apart from me and you they must be all mad :thumbup:

on a serious note...you cant' please everyone

shane

Social source share

amazing isn't it. who in their right minds would post on this thread?... :thumbup:

well apart from me and you they must be all mad :lol:

on a serious note...you cant' please everyone

shane

:lol:

Now that you've poured your particularly vitriolic oil on these troubled waters Shane, expect the above figures to double.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Hello Kev, fancy seeing you here! :lol:

Yep, maybe he does. Braver? In dress sense? Sexuality? Playlists? Who knows?

Sorry, can't guess mate.. you'll have to slap a bit more paint on the canvas.

A'dieu

sorry Dave ,going thru my minimalist period atm.Now,what was the question? :lol: .

Oh yes ,Mark's dress sense,,,,very brave.

His sexuality,,,well that's another thread :yes: (only joking Mark).

Playlists???...aaah maybe that's what i was waffling on about.

Stick to painting by numbers Dave :thumbup: ...KEV. :thumbup:

Social source share

i admit to clearing the floor but i dont carry on in the same vein...i slap a tried and tested oldie on to bring em back ....i can honestly say i have never had an empty dance floor for a whole spot...nige browns spot was cracking but he cleared the floor once during the spot but being a top man he got em back......

ps i never smile ive got a reputation to uphold :thumbup:

Dont women clear the floor with a broom :thumbup:

Pedro

Social source share

Can scarboro soul put up a list of his favourite records he would like to hear

say a top twenty?

i believe this may clarify things

=================

Pretty sure Scarboro is on about the tempo of records played at nighters, rather than asking for someone to play his favourite records. Personally I think if you play a whole spot of anything, stompers, newies, crossover etc you risk losing the floor, particularly if it's early on. Didn't go to the do, so can't comment on Paul's spot, just giving an overall view from my perspective.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

well said

if hes coming to middleton this saturday will have the rope ready if he needs one :D

Wish someone had offered me that option when I went to Middleton back last September and heard Sam's spot. Never been back since. For £24 for the two of us I wanna hear something a bit better than "house/garage" or whatever it's called plus mainly oldies that I used to pay a couple of quid to hear.

Realise Im in a minority of one here so I hope the promoter doesn't take this criticism too seriously but it does illustrate that there's always some awkward bugger somewhere that you can't please

ROD

Social source share

Wish someone had offered me that option when I went to Middleton back last September and heard Sam's spot. Never been back since. For £24 for the two of us I wanna hear something a bit better than "house/garage" or whatever it's called plus mainly oldies that I used to pay a couple of quid to hear.

Realise Im in a minority of one here so I hope the promoter doesn't take this criticism too seriously but it does illustrate that there's always some awkward bugger somewhere that you can't please

ROD

You always looked happy listening to things like "Mighty Body Hotsy Totsy at Clifton Hall Rod :D

Social source share

You always looked happy listening to things like "Mighty Body Hotsy Totsy at Clifton Hall Rod :D

I've never even heard of Leon Bryant nor the De-Lite label!! Actually I don't remember going to the Clifton Hall. Is that Rotherham?

Are you sure it was me? Happy is not an adjective used to describe me by that many people I know.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

100 mph All night you must be Joking...I would be well peed off..why is it then if thats the case, do the 2 and 3 room nighters do so well.....could it be some folk dont want 100mph all night :D get a grip some of ya, if the DJ knows his stuff he will keep the place moving..playing tunes to suit everybody's taste

Bazza

looks to me like some folks are stuck in a time loop 35 years ago....

I don't think anyone says 100mph all night do they, I'm talking dancers, be they uptempo or mid tempo dancers/moovers. I've played many mid-tempo records but I'd like to think they were dancers with the right tempo. I go to venues and hear many a plodder, no better than walking pace some of them.....they should be left for the chill out lounge or home IMHO.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I've never even heard of Leon Bryant nor the De-Lite label!! Actually I don't remember going to the Clifton Hall. Is that Rotherham?

Are you sure it was me? Happy is not an adjective used to describe me by that many people I know.

ROD

Deffo you Rod. Thought you went a few times. Remember you at Rebels as well when Dave W dj'd there for Richard. (everytime Dave came to South Yorks to dj the poor sod ended up with a graveyard spot)

Perhaps I should have put "happy" :D

Social source share

Deffo you Rod. Thought you went a few times. Remember you at Rebels as well when Dave W dj'd there for Richard. (everytime Dave came to South Yorks to dj the poor sod ended up with a graveyard spot)

Perhaps I should have put "happy" :lol:

I would love to do a graveyard shift , before I end up in one ...... :D

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert