Richard

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi all

Have just come accross You Did It For Me - Al Wilson on Playboy and was thinking its quite a nice tune so picked one up and wondered if there any other decent tracks on Playboy worth picking up

Cheers

thumbsup.gif

Be Concered by Al Wilson is a great tune in MHO, 70's social message, cheap too, infact like all the Al Wilson 7's on Playboy, the Lp which contains most of them is cheap too.

Social source share

Forgot that Weapons of Peace are on Playboy too.

This Lifes About to Get Me Down (Its a b-side to Roots Mural Theme)

Mighty Hard Man (Quite disco, again a b-side to Just Can't Be that Way)

Both nice I think.

Social source share

Think the Weapons of Peace also released an album on the label. Was it the only album issued by Playboy?

Yep Weapons of Peace had an Lp on the label, and no not the only LP, Al Wilson released an lp which contains most of his 45's

Social source share

Fantastic logo - The already mentioned 'Be Concerned' is just sublime - Flip it for his excellent version of 'I've Got A Feeling' and yuo've an essential double sider IMO. Also love Shawne Jacksons excellent slowie 'He May Be Your Man'.

Rich

Impeccable taste as usual Rich shawn jackson ,is a lovely soul record.

BAZ A

Social source share

Yep Weapons of Peace had an Lp on the label, and no not the only LP, Al Wilson released an lp which contains most of his 45's

There are a bunch of LPs on the label, including more than one weapons of peace LP. There just was a thread here about the sharon cash LP.

Social source share

See this nice and illustrated article about Playboy Records, by a great spanish Soul DJ and writer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexs4r/284647096/

Yes, Alex Subinas´ site is great. I always check out his monthly recommendations.

It´s a pity the text is in Spanish, a language I do not master.

Here I also send some opinions, under the nickname of «soulero61»

I also contributed to the Soul Portrait site earlier this year, submitting some record reviews - written in English :thumbup:

Cheers

Melismo

Social source share

• 2 months later...

For the completist...his reworking of 'Um Um Um Um Um Um' also came out on Japanese Playboy.

ph34r.gif

is that the cut that came out on Contempo's first ever release over here? wonder if the current fave Contempo track by major lance his vocal to Fabulous Echoes "Dont You Know I Love You" was a Playboy release?

steve

Social source share

Fantastic logo - The already mentioned 'Be Concerned' is just sublime - Flip it for his excellent version of 'I've Got A Feeling' and yuo've an essential double sider IMO. Also love Shawne Jacksons excellent slowie 'He May Be Your Man'.

Rich

totally agree there Rich thumbsup.gif

"Ive Got A Feeling" had to be gud... Produced by Marc Gordon and Arranged by HB Barnum, I'll send it up

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert