You Turned My Bitter Instrumental?

Ady Croasdell

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I had the "Lay This Burden Down" a couple of Years ago and was stunned at how good and clear, the Instrumental was, complete with "Count Ins" certainly a cut above the Soul Galore "instrumentals" - so what's the story on it, was it legal, is it a remake, or is it from the vaults - I really don't think anybody could possibly tinker around with a vinyl copy to end up with this!

Des Parker

Social source share

Which we don't have it in, it was only ever mono. Even if it was in stereo you'd lose a hell of a lot of the instrumentation. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Not always Ady. I did it on Timi Yuro and it almost wiped the vocal and left everything intact, in fact it sort of bought the strings even further forward in the mix - this was using a $100 karaoke program I got off a dodgy website (it was the bees knees then but that was 5 years ago, there's bound to be a better one out now)

Social source share

Thanks chaps it was a rare occasion where i wish Simon had booted it! Though I wouldn't be surprised if he had the multis away which is why we can't find them.

Only know what i have read about SS but i presume he is still around ? Could you ask him or get someone else to.

There was a very well made boot of 'You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet' wasen't there ? Perhaps that is when the masters disapeared, might be worth delving into the history of who did that ?

Social source share

Not always Ady. I did it on Timi Yuro and it almost wiped the vocal and left everything intact, in fact it sort of bought the strings even further forward in the mix - this was using a $100 karaoke program I got off a dodgy website (it was the bees knees then but that was 5 years ago, there's bound to be a better one out now)

A mate of mine had (& probably still has) a peice of kit that did this, it was a portable multi track recorder in essence & quite an expensive bit of kit, but i remember him doing this to some tracks which we messed about with some vocals over the top. So would have thought it could be done in a studio. Isn't that what SS used to do anyhow ?

Social source share

Only know what i have read about SS but i presume he is still around ? Could you ask him or get someone else to.

There was a very well made boot of 'You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet' wasen't there ? Perhaps that is when the masters disapeared, might be worth delving into the history of who did that ?

Not quite true, the boots of the other Modern label tracks were good but Bitter Into Sweet was dubbed off a very scratchy record and pretty poor in comparison

Social source share

Not quite true, the boots of the other Modern label tracks were good but Bitter Into Sweet was dubbed off a very scratchy record and pretty poor in comparison

Never seen or heard one, but remember reading in JM's boot guide that it was very authentic.

That being the case, it appears that the masters had possibly already disapeared when the others were made then ?

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

I had the "Lay This Burden Down" a couple of Years ago and was stunned at how good and clear, the Instrumental was, complete with "Count Ins" certainly a cut above the Soul Galore "instrumentals" - so what's the story on it, was it legal, is it a remake, or is it from the vaults - I really don't think anybody could possibly tinker around with a vinyl copy to end up with this!

Des Parker

It'll probably be from a 2, 3 or 4 track master tape where one of the tracks is vocal only so you just run the tape with the vocal track completely down.

I'm sure you got a good track out of the Timi Yuro Pete but unless it was completely vocal only on one side of the stereo which is incredibly unlikely (it would need to be a record company error to have it like that), you would lose the instrumentation on that side of the stereo that was at the same frequencies as her voice which is a big band in the middle of the music. I'm sure it sounded great but it would have been appreciably better if it was done from a multi track master as described.

Social source share

Des Parker

Out of all Simon's repress deals I would guess this was one of the more legitimate, Modern still had their studios and pressing plant and I'm sure a cash deal with someone at the company was possible. I bet he didn't pay his extra publishing costs but he could have got a thousand copies for a pretty cheap price back then. That's conjecture we'll probably never know for certain and an interview with Simon certainly wouldn't help.

Social source share

It'll probably be from a 2, 3 or 4 track master tape where one of the tracks is vocal only so you just run the tape with the vocal track completely down.

I'm sure you got a good track out of the Timi Yuro Pete but unless it was completely vocal only on one side of the stereo which is incredibly unlikely (it would need to be a record company error to have it like that), you would lose the instrumentation on that side of the stereo that was at the same frequencies as her voice which is a big band in the middle of the music. I'm sure it sounded great but it would have been appreciably better if it was done from a multi track master as described.

Know what you mean. One of the Charly reissues of Don Varner - Tearstained Face did this, vocal on one channel only, it was easy to make an inst out of it but...it was crap without the vocal. Also did a really nice and absolutely perfect instrumental of When I'm Gone about 15 years ago, again using a version with the vocal in one channel only.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert