Overkill A Problem ?

Mike

Last point on this before lunch...

We see many more folk now with a record collection,built up over the years or the other type that have just thrown a sack full of cash at the game over the last couple of years...They all now want to dj at some place...If they don't get an offre then they just start another night and split the crowd some more.....No easy answer though...Maybe its just gonna be like the law of the jungle and survival of the strong mellow.gif ...If thats the case then we are all foooooooooked because some of the strongest are people i would not wish to meet in this life or the next....

The sun is shining and time for lunch...See you all back here later to try and save our soul scene from the devil... :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 293
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

this month's "sneaked-in-under-the-fence-event-advert-award" goes to mr, PD nice one paul wink.gif

didn't sneak it in at all Michael, maybe folk reading my thoughts may have thought 'how refreshing" so why not tell em when the next two are..(bugger I'm sounding more like Stef everyday)

If I've offended anyone or broken ss rules please ffs delete it as I'm don't want to be the weekends target for shyte and ridicule..

I love you all.. :lol:

Social source share

didn't sneak it in at all Michael, maybe folk reading my thoughts may have thought 'how refreshing" so why not tell em when the next two are..(bugger I'm sounding more like Stef everyday)

If I've offended anyone or broken ss rules please ffs delete it as I'm don't want to be the weekends target for shyte and ridicule..

I love you all.. :lol:

and we ALL love you paul thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Heres my penny worth.....the blame lies fairly and squarely at the feet of the wanna-be's....promoters and dj's they either want to be big I am promoters (good example paddy'O greedy, stiff malarky and jembo from the pembo ). these fella's either want to cash in or feed their ego's.....or the dj wanna-be's who set up a do just so they can dj with their often shite records or cd's go away the lot of you

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

heres a good idea why don't promoters put their dj's on two at a time for an hour ....so if their night is mainly an oldies night have one oldies dj with one newies dj playing tunes alternately.second hour one oldies dj with a r&b dj playing tunes alternately and so on so the main vein is oldies,but the differant stuff also gets played ....but more importantly everyone gets to hear what they like.If the night is a more upfront night have every set of an hour with a more upfront dj alternateing with one of the other genre dj's then people might after a while hear something they dont know but start to like....dont keep putting differant styles in differant rooms , you want the atmosphere all in one room....just a thought

Social source share

heres a good idea why don't promoters put their dj's on two at a time for an hour ....so if their night is mainly an oldies night have one oldies dj with one newies dj playing tunes alternately.second hour one oldies dj with a r&b dj playing tunes alternately and so on so the main vein is oldies,but the differant stuff also gets played ....but more importantly everyone gets to hear what they like.If the night is a more upfront night have every set of an hour with a more upfront dj alternateing with one of the other genre dj's then people might after a while hear something they dont know but start to like....dont keep putting differant styles in differant rooms , you want the atmosphere all in one room....just a thought

dont think this would work, you'd have people on off floor every 2nd record as the set wont flow. its upto the dj to lift the night by reading the crowd and know what they have come for and have the ability to drop an oldie, newie or whatever at right time. Particularly in the early sets where the dj is trying hard to build the night.

If dj has a particular style that dont suit venue thats more down to promoters fault.

Social source share

Well i think it is about time we all stopped this nonsense....put on our cardigans....tune the radio to Gardener's time..start behaving like middle agers/near pensioners....and start being more of an good example to the younger generation...I personally

just want to have a good time...but with the amount of judgemental wiseheads about these days....i cant be a###d .....to me,the amount of venues could be due to fellow soulies not feeling welcome at various places..all the constant bitching etc probably has lead to others trying to create an environment which is non judgemental and geared for those who just want to dance ....end off....only in a Tolitarian State,can others dictate to the masses....my tuppence worth cool.gif ...Delxxx

Social source share

Well i think it is about time we all stopped this nonsense....put on our cardigans....tune the radio to Gardener's time..start behaving like middle agers/near pensioners....and start being more of an good example to the younger generation...I personally

just want to have a good time...but with the amount of judgemental wiseheads about these days....i cant be a###d .....to me,the amount of venues could be due to fellow soulies not feeling welcome at various places..all the constant bitching etc probably has lead to others trying to create an environment which is non judgemental and geared for those who just want to dance ....end off....only in a Tolitarian State,can others dictate to the masses....my tuppence worth cool.gif ...Delxxx

well said , agree with you 100%

Social source share

Heres my penny worth.....the blame lies fairly and squarely at the feet of the wanna-be's....promoters and dj's they either want to be big I am promoters (good example paddy'O greedy, stiff malarky and jembo from the pembo ). these fella's either want to cash in or feed their ego's.....or the dj wanna-be's who set up a do just so they can dj with their often shite records or cd's go away the lot of you

dont think its fair to name people as you have , a bit harsh me thinks

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

well these three for sure have done a imense amount of damage in this area ....putting on do's that half what they advertise never comes to fruition.....and some might say they knew it never would...dont mean to be rude have you a short memory in these matters....artists not turning up things advertised not happening on the night ect ect.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

JUST A LITTLE ADD ON TO MY LAST POST.....WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW ANY OF THESE FELLA'S OUT AND ABOUT ENJOYING THEMSELVES AT A SOUL DO THAT THEY WHERN'T INVOLVED IN.....WHY BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT BLOODY INTERESTED :wicked:angry.gif

Social source share

well these three for sure have done a imense amount of damage in this area ....putting on do's that half what they advertise never comes to fruition.....and some might say they knew it never would...dont mean to be rude have you a short memory in these matters....artists not turning up things advertised not happening on the night ect ect.

[/quote

ive got a good memory , i just dont attend any of his soul nights - but i still think its below the belt to name him on here

Social source share

JUST A LITTLE ADD ON TO MY LAST POST.....WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW ANY OF THESE FELLA'S OUT AND ABOUT ENJOYING THEMSELVES AT A SOUL DO THAT THEY WHERN'T INVOLVED IN.....WHY BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT BLOODY INTERESTED :wicked:angry.gif

i cant really give you a truthfull answer to this post,

Social source share

:wicked: absolutely spot on thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

This threads just going round and round in circles now everyones got an opinion and everyone thinks there right.Its friday night again dozens of venues on some will be packed some will be empty,those that are empty will say there are to many venues those that are full will say we are gettin it right thats why we are full.Fact is people go were they want thats why some are full are some arent regardless of what we few on here think,me im off to one of the loads of clubs up here in sunny manchester funny thing is which ever one of the 4 im looking at i go to it will be busy.Maybe this overkill is a myth maybe some clubs dont get the support they feel they deserve for other reasons.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I personally don't give a toss how many nights are are on, i choose a venue purely by who's playing (yeah, i do detective work, then make a decision based on my own tastes) this has always served me well and i am usually happy with my choice of night. An example is that if Sean Hampsey has a new night planned, then i will go out of my way to attend it....period.........

Social source share

This threads just going round and round in circles now everyones got an opinion and everyone thinks there right.Its friday night again dozens of venues on some will be packed some will be empty,those that are empty will say there are to many venues those that are full will say we are gettin it right thats why we are full.Fact is people go were they want thats why some are full are some arent regardless of what we few on here think,me im off to one of the loads of clubs up here in sunny manchester funny thing is which ever one of the 4 im looking at i go to it will be busy.Maybe this overkill is a myth maybe some clubs dont get the support they feel they deserve for other reasons.

I personally don't give a toss how many nights are are on, i choose a venue purely by who's playing (yeah, i do detective work, then make a decision based on my own tastes) this has always served me well and i am usually happy with my choice of night. An example is that if Sean Hampsey has a new night planned, then i will go out of my way to attend it....period.........

Three posts that sum it up for me ! No matter if you think it's overkill or not, nobody is going to be able to diddly squat about it !

That is unless we sign up for the revolution & throw away all of our rights to choose for ourselves.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Three posts that sum it up for me ! No matter if you think it's overkill or not, nobody is going to be able to diddly squat about it !

That is unless we sign up for the revolution & throw away all of our rights to choose for ourselves.

A Soul Revolution, now that does sound like a good idea...

:(

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

OVERKILL ON OVERKILL STOP THROWING YOUR TEDDYS IN THE CORNER AND GET ON WITH SOUL WHATEVER YOUR INTO ENJOY YOUR SOUL WHERE EVER YOU GO TO GET IT .... EVERYBODYS GOT A CHOICE OF WHAT THEY LIKE AND WHERE THEY GO.fOR GET THE POLITICS, RARE OLDIES RNB 60'S 70'S MODERN GET IT WELL YOU CAN.......SOUL CLUBS COME AND GO SOME GOOD SOME NOT TO GOOD .

EVERY DOG HAS ITS DAY....

Social source share

Although we are completely different to all the other venues we still realise that two venues in one area on the same night does no one any good whatsoever, after a turbalant year in Peterborough I'm chuffed that some normaility is just around the corner.

This sentence is right on the money Paul. :thumbup:

The rest of your post is flagrant self-promotion though... you'll be giving away junk-food next! :(:D

Social source share

A Soul Revolution, now that does sound like a good idea...

:(

:D

James for El Presidenti ! Bring back the 80's moustache :D

:thumbup: On second thoughts i would be one of the first for the firing squad ! :D

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James for El Presidenti ! Bring back the 80's moustache :D

:D On second thoughts i would be one of the first for the firing squad ! :D

LOL, nah mate, I'd rather be the Minister For Propaganda. I'll leave the Presidenti role to someone who knows how to DJ and has a bigger and better hot box :D:thumbup:

I wish I could carry an 80's 'tache off though... :(

Social source share

Makes for interesting reading though :(

Social source share

LOL, nah mate, I'd rather be the Minister For Propaganda. I'll leave the Presidenti role to someone who knows how to DJ and has a bigger and better hot box :D:D

I wish I could carry an 80's 'tache off though... :thumbup:

Can't think of a DJ with a Hotter Box than you James ! Can think of a JD with one though !

Jeanne d'Arc :(:D

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Wow....The thing is "politics" has never gone away :( .Dont forget "punters" make soul nites not djs or wannabee djs...The scene has changed "bigtime" in the last 10 years, has a "punter i will pick which club i will go to like many other punters do"but for me its underplayed forgotten oldies so i will go to that club which gives me that "option".But also i will go to a club that gives me out and out oldies "option" which i will go to also.So for me like the world we live in its all about "choice" if you promoters arent getting your folks in thats your problem not everyone elses.

Social source share

Reminds me of mid 70s all this ego fanning/politics/call it what you will :D

Similar arguments when we DIDN'T have lots of nights to chose from, so nowts changed. :D

Enjoy it while you can - maybe knees will go,maybe ears will go- then what? :D

Consider yourself an x-so-lent musical person and enjoy your soul music, whatever it is or wherever it is or whoever's playing it. :D

Far 2 many people splitting hairs, far too opinionated - do your homework and chose the night for you - don't just grace the place with your presence and then MOAN all night. :D

Quote Ecstasy Passion & Pain "Good things, good things don't last forever" :(

End off - put to bed PLEEZ :thumbup:

Social source share

Last point on this before lunch...

We see many more folk now with a record collection,built up over the years or the other type that have just thrown a sack full of cash at the game over the last couple of years...They all now want to dj at some place...If they don't get an offre then they just start another night and split the crowd some more.....No easy answer though...Maybe its just gonna be like the law of the jungle and survival of the strong :( ...If thats the case then we are all foooooooooked because some of the strongest are people i would not wish to meet in this life or the next....

The sun is shining and time for lunch...See you all back here later to try and save our soul scene from the devil... :D

:thumbup::D:D The only ones who will survive this are the ones who play Jamaican 60s RnB! And ride 60s Italian Lambrettas....................and I dont care about any of the others! :D

In fact...If you have no Jamaican tunes, tailor made clothes (and no Lambretta).... you are doomed!!!!! :D

Edited by mossy
Social source share

:(:thumbup::D The only ones who will survive this are the ones who play Jamaican 60s RnB! And ride 60s Italian Lambrettas....................and I dont care about any of the others! :D

In fact...If you have no Jamaican tunes, tailor made clothes (and no Lambretta).... you are doomed!!!!! :D

got me lammie n suit no jamaican tunes yet some r n b not quite doomed more like Souled out!!!!

Social source share

those threads suggest everyones had their fill of this debate. its a discussion board people discuss the most inane things :( we should be encouraging peoples input on whatever "boring to me" subject, someone asked a question, others contribute, til all 9000 odd members think its over it aint, no wonder most just lurk on here

Social source share

those threads suggest everyones had their fill of this debate. its a discussion board people discuss the most inane things :( we should be encouraging peoples input on whatever "boring to me" subject, someone asked a question, others contribute, til all 9000 odd members think its over it aint, no wonder most just lurk on here

Feel free, i have no intention of wanting to stop anyone talking about anything, was more in agreement with their 'you pays your money & takes your choice' ethic.

We know a song about it though, ' The wheels on the bus go ................. :thumbup:

Social source share

Even by your own dull witted standards you have reached a new level of ill informed stupidity. I am not interested in the other two, but Jemco and myself put on the Pembo and have given around £2000 to charity as pictured with various cheques in the local paper. We have put in plenty of our own money with no return to give people what they want. If playing the likes of Betty Lloyd, Skip Jackson,Sam Fletcher, Tobi Lark etc, etc on original vinyl is 'handbag' then guilty as charged. Amazing comments for someone who has never been.

I am not interested in you or your comments but at least get your facts right! The only played out oldie around here is you. Grow up!

All the best, Stevo from the Pembo.

Social source share

My thoughts on the format for a Soul do are this.........you have got to play a few classics....no doubt about it......but you must also play the rare underplayed stuff...does'nt matter if they clear the floor...does'nt mean the punters are not enjoying em...and a some R&B (for me :wicked: ) and a few modern for some you dont need to be a genius to see this...and yet most venues cant seem to grasp it huh.gif its the "must fill the floor same old safe tunes" type DJ's who are doing the most damage

Bazza

Good heavens !! What a bizarre statement..............maybe giving the punters a good kick in the balls

as they come in would help too !!!!! unsure.gif

Chris L

Social source share

yep as few have said, think its a good time to shut this

was a general sort of q, and think its run its course

as always if wanna discuss anything just start up a new thread

myself think was a interesting one and while never expect gonna solve problems via threads like this, think its been a sort of postive thing and say thanks for all who contributed and made it that

will close in 5 mins

Social source share