Chuck Cockerham

KevH

hi,got CC on UK SOULFOOD 10" from 2003, just wondered if i was contravening any by-law if i was to play this. :thumbup: .The Mala issue is a little out of my reach,so is it ok to play on a UK original label :thumbup: ,,,wot you think??.

Is it no better than playing something on Grapevine?,or indeed any other UK release?

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

hi,got CC on UK SOULFOOD 10" from 2003, just wondered if i was contravening any by-law if i was to play this. :D .The Mala issue is a little out of my reach,so is it ok to play on a UK original label :( ,,,wot you think??.

Is it no better than playing something on Grapevine?,or indeed any other UK release?

:thumbup::thumbup::unsure:

Witch ....., Witch............. :P

Social source share

hi,got CC on UK SOULFOOD 10" from 2003, just wondered if i was contravening any by-law if i was to play this. :thumbup: .The Mala issue is a little out of my reach,so is it ok to play on a UK original label :thumbup: ,,,wot you think??.

You would be contravening Bye Law 8. Section 5.2 para 1.4. where it says

"Disc Jockeys should not play UK first issues, or Uk re-issues unless to be the best of your knowldge and belief, the track being played has been sourced from it's rightful owner, and that royalties have been paid to the owner of the track, and that MCPS have been informed via way of a completed playlist, submitted to their registered office, and that appropriate duties have been paid to the copyright owner. In the event you are unsure of this, best play da next ting in ya box"

Social source share

I thought John said ? :thumbup:

He was a member of the Drifters in 1979

There is a reissue of this record on ripete which is credited to the Nomads but I dont know if this is a legal reissue, does anyone have any more information on this?

Edited by bob
Social source share

You would be contravening Bye Law 8. Section 5.2 para 1.4. where it says

"Disc Jockeys should not play UK first issues, or Uk re-issues unless to be the best of your knowldge and belief, the track being played has been sourced from it's rightful owner, and that royalties have been paid to the owner of the track, and that MCPS have been informed via way of a completed playlist, submitted to their registered office, and that appropriate duties have been paid to the copyright owner. In the event you are unsure of this, best play da next ting in ya box"

That was the by-law i was thinking about.

At least i know he's not white now.Thanks Sean for that photo of CC.

Is it ok to play it at home to the missus,until there's a knock at the door?? :( ,,KEV.(NONE- MEMBER OF THE SOUL PATROL :huh: )

Social source share

Nothing wrong with being a honky, is there?

But it is a good excuse to eject great 45s from your "black" only collection when ya need a little cash. Problem is people do tend to take the piss, when the artist is proved to be Afro American.

Personally I don't care if they are Eskimo or Irish, the music is what counts and the pretty labels, of course.

Social source share

But it is a good excuse to eject great 45s from your "black" only collection when ya need a little cash. Problem is people do tend to take the piss, when the artist is proved to be Afro American.

Personally I don't care if they are Eskimo or Irish, the music is what counts and the pretty labels, of course.

That's the good thing about instrumental soul - you can't tell what colour anyone is!

*** dangles bait***

:lol:

Godz

ps can you provide an answer on the Two People post John?

Social source share

Guest rachel

There is a reissue of this record on ripete which is credited to the Nomads but I dont know if this is a legal reissue, does anyone have any more information on this?

It was either that they wanted to put the Chuck Cockerham on a compilation (Beach Music type thing I think) but could get the licensing, or that they wanted Chuck Cockerham to re-record it but he was tied in to a contract with someone else - I can't remember which - but whichever it was, they couldn't, so decided to get the Nomads to record it instead for the compilation, and also brought it out as a single. Pretty good version IMO, though of course I'd rather have a CC! :lol:

Social source share

No John always said he was black Simon. Tim started this "honky" stuff off when he belatedly reviewed it in Manifesto about 3 years after we all started playing it

I found this in a shop in Asheville,NC around late 80's/early 90's and sold it to Richard for £8 as it kinda fitted in with that Parker's thing he had going. Think I had a couple more too around the time that someone in Manchester area must have got. it was reasonably popular I think so I was surprised to read it's a recent play.

A nice Mint promo and I was wondering why there weren't more oddball promos knocking about until about 5 years later when I went back with Alex Jones and we found the secret room which must have been blocked off previously.

ROD

Social source share

Hi John was being slightly ironic / tongue in cheek

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert