Promoters, Whats Going On ?

Guest Timothy

No a promoter should not tell a dj what format to play on or what to play in my opinion but then again im not a promoter, but in my honest opinion Mark a promoter should be thinking of what DJs he wants at his venue and if the promoter chooses a dj that plays boots CDs etc then that is his choice and the paying punter will make their own mind up and choose wether to come back or not, if a promoter only hires DJs that play original vynil only there will never be this situation as those that dont care wont care but those that do care then wont care cos they know that the DJs on at the event only play original vynil, if i was a promoter i would only want DJs that play on original vynil only but that would be my choice and something i believe is the best way to put an event on in my opinion,

cheeky git you are, i wouldnt mind being a £ behind you in the bank you high flying legal eagle you :P:thumbup:

Mark i know you and i know you are a promoter that cares and try to put the best night on possible all the time and that is more important to you than playing a set if need be and that is why your events will only get better and better, its not about a profit its about putting on a great night first for everyone coming to an event and if it does work the DJs hopefully get looked after and the promoter makes a few quid for all their hard work and the paying punters go home bloody happy until next time.

Bearsy

Thought that would get you off that fence :(:thumbup: . Honest truth is that I don't care if I don't make a penny as long as people enjoy themselves and go home happy. You never know sometimes they may even look back and say nice one - I enjoyed that night. If I am really lucky and they open a shopping mall on the end of the Pier - aahh well its all pipe dreams anyway. :unsure:

Mark.

Social source share

• Replies 175
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It depends on where you want to be in the strange world of Northern Soul. as suggested many times on this forum there are two scenes running side by side, if you want to be in the inner sanctum, you have to play by the rules. If you are happy with 'anything goes' do what you like but dont expect to be taken seriously.

Brilliant. :thumbup: spot on. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Said it b4 and I'll say it again - "DJ's" can play what the f*** they like for whatever reason but I believe there is a code of conduct within those that "truly care".

Its so easy and blase for me to say that I started DJing (for Toddy in Southampton) in 1980 - but truthfully we (Molly) and I were DJing on a Thursday nite as 16/17 year olds with a box of pressings (realise and admit your past evil ways). You grow up and learn though and now those spots could not - in my eyes - be percieved as DJing spots.

Joking aside I know Dave Abbott and I wanted to get away from the habit that occupied certain events down south of playing non-originals. What happened - small crowds, loss of money, regardless of the standard of DJ's we had down (Dave Rimmer, Irish Gregg, Martin Thompson, Eddie Engel, Jon Mills, John Weston, Mark Bicknell and many more) simply coz we stuck by the rare soul etiquette and refused to budge. Needless to say it all came to an end.

I'm still guilty of breaking the rules (Little Ann - Lean Lanky Daddy on a carvers I've played out once and I played a modern sound out last Sunday by the Dynamic Superiors from an LP which was issued as a 45 - but I was djing to myself :thumbup: ) but I stick to the general unwritten rules which includes playing dubs of lp tracks of which i own.

I had and sold on some of what I percieved was a good DJ's collection - not premiership but a loved 1st/2nd division dance friendly "original" load of vinyl. My pride and joy was Mac Staten which went to a safe and good home in Keith Money. I had the copy Carvered but would never in a million years dream of playing out at a rare soul/NS event. I once read someone question in a thread some time ago whether it was ok to play a carver of a track u once owned. Bloody hell if we all brought expensive records and sold them on 2 days l8r after having them cut with the notion we could legitimately dj with them there would be more dj's than punters (ok slight exaggeration - but you get my drift).

As for money, theres no excuse, I don't spend as much as I used to but still get a thrill and as much interest from punters when finding and playing the likes of Freddie Scott - I'll be gone and Lou Courtney - You can give your love to me to name but two.

I've seen the young continental DJ's adhere/play by the rules without the real need to argue why it is that OVO is right and play some fabulous fresh sets which make your feet dance or/and your ears prick up.

Some time ago I was saddened to see a good friend and well known Italian DJ/personality upset at the last event run by myself, Molly and Jason D because one of the South Coast guests played a boot of an original in his box before he was due on. I vowed never to have that happen again should I ever put an event on - Roccia was so right to be upset. I should have hoofed the said man off str8 away.

In essence folk who DJ should respect the time, effort, money and love of the original format by those that strive for a clean cut set of rules. Unfortunately, like anything else in life there will be loopholes and ambiguity but if you're true to yourself then I think you know the score.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

It depends on where you want to be in the strange world of Northern Soul. as suggested many times on this forum there are two scenes running side by side, if you want to be in the inner sanctum, you have to play by the rules. If you are happy with 'anything goes' do what you like but dont expect to be taken seriously.

Brilliant. :thumbup: spot on. :thumbup:

I second that stright to the point

Social source share

Said it b4 and I'll say it again - "DJ's" can play what the f*** they like for whatever reason but I believe there is a code of conduct within those that "truly care".

Its so easy and blase for me to say that I started DJing (for Toddy in Southampton) in 1980 - but truthfully we (Molly) and I were DJing on a Thursday nite as 16/17 year olds with a box of pressings (realise and admit your past evil ways). You grow up and learn though and now those spots could not - in my eyes - be percieved as DJing spots.

Joking aside I know Dave Abbott and I wanted to get away from the habit that occupied certain events down south of playing non-originals. What happened - small crowds, loss of money, regardless of the standard of DJ's we had down (Dave Rimmer, Irish Gregg, Martin Thompson, Eddie Engel, Jon Mills, John Weston, Mark Bicknell and many more) simply coz we stuck by the rare soul etiquette and refused to budge. Needless to say it all came to an end.

I'm still guilty of breaking the rules (Little Ann - Lean Lanky Daddy on a carvers I've played out once and I played a modern sound out last Sunday by the Dynamic Superiors from an LP which was issued as a 45 - but I was djing to myself :thumbup: ) but I stick to the general unwritten rules which includes playing dubs of lp tracks of which i own.

I had and sold on some of what I percieved was a good DJ's collection - not premiership but a loved 1st/2nd division dance friendly "original" load of vinyl. My pride and joy was Mac Staten which went to a safe and good home in Keith Money. I had the copy Carvered but would never in a million years dream of playing out at a rare soul/NS event. I once read someone question in a thread some time ago whether it was ok to play a carver of a track u once owned. Bloody hell if we all brought expensive records and sold them on 2 days l8r after having them cut with the notion we could legitimately dj with them there would be more dj's than punters (ok slight exaggeration - but you get my drift).

As for money, theres no excuse, I don't spend as much as I used to but still get a thrill and as much interest from punters when finding and playing the likes of Freddie Scott - I'll be gone and Lou Courtney - You can give your love to me to name but two.

I've seen the young continental DJ's adhere/play by the rules without the real need to argue why it is that OVO is right and play some fabulous fresh sets which make your feet dance or/and your ears prick up.

Some time ago I was saddened to see a good friend and well known Italian DJ/personality upset at the last event run by myself, Molly and Jason D because one of the South Coast guests played a boot of an original in his box before he was due on. I vowed never to have that happen again should I ever put an event on - Roccia was so right to be upset. I should have hoofed the said man off str8 away.

In essence folk who DJ should respect the time, effort, money and love of the original format by those that strive for a clean cut set of rules. Unfortunately, like anything else in life there will be loopholes and ambiguity but if you're true to yourself then I think you know the score.

Good post Steve.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Crazy thing to do my opinion, maybe thats why they promote just so they can do a spot and get their name in lights

SPOT ON MATE this is what happens in the northants cambs area all the time

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

GO TO BURNLEY OR LIFELINE NO BOOTS NO WANNA-BE'S REAL TUNES REAL PEOPLE PLAYING THEM :huh:

they are both on my list of must do events thats for sure,

Also for me there is more to it than just saying i own an original of this or that its about finding the record first then finding the money then if they both happen and the purchase is made its then the waiting for the postman and when it finally arrives and you open the package and hold that record you now own for the first time and feel all its history in your finger tips its a bloody awsome buzz i just cant explain,

finding a boot is easy and feelingless and the majority of them sound shite, i should know i bought loads to start off with for my jukebox i never ended getting :lol:

2 years on and im buggered big time by this scene now yes.gif fooking brilliant aint it :(

Social source share

Unaccustomed as I am to making pertinent points I do think some of you have got just a bit hung -up on this boot/VC thing.

If you like the music but would rather not spend vast sums on the originals, I can see nothing wrong with that. I take Bearsy's point about the excitement of obtaining the original and I feel exactly the same way but he admits to buying boots early on in his development and now with hindsight he says it was an empty experience. Im sure Im not the only collector on here who also started off with a mixture of formats and I can remember buying the Eddie Parker boot back when it was massive at the Torch and it was extremely pleasurable to be able to play this at home.

Still looking for a Mint original if anyone can help.

I also buy those 45s issued here that don't have an original US release and get as much pleasure from those as I do some elusive want arriving. I do agree that this is a rare soul scene but I'd contend that it refers to the music and not the format.

As for dj-ing. If someone gets their kicks from playing boots etc as long as they sound OK and the crowd enjoys it what does it matter.

I do dj occasionally Simon and those who've had the misfortune to be there can testify that I take a lot of 45s with me. If I got asked for the Kitchen Sink I'd probably have it with me!! So, someone coming on and playing an hour of boots [say 30 45s] isn't going to affect me. I try to play 45s that aren't booted anyway.

I also take the point made by whoever about repitition during a night as regards Joanne Courcy but can remember in the early days when you'd hear loads of 45s like Sweet Things, Glories,Younghearts,Tempos etc played a few times a night but we didn't mind. Obviously 30-odd years on there's more tracks to go at and there's no excuse if you are boring your audience.

I hope Im not wrong but I didn't think Joanne had been booted/issued. So the problem,if there is one, is not the easy availibility of boots but unimaginative djs who with all the wealth of stuff available are just chasing and playing the same 45s. However I would qualify that by saying if I'd just got a Courcy I might spin it too but I would make sure I'd not heard it on the night being hammered.

So, a pretty chilled outlook there I think.

What I can't fukcing stand , and Im thinking of a dj round here albeit a few years ago, who played a set comprising a mish-mash of Y2k R&B, House, old R&B, 70's, and odd 60's that were obviously all easily available, popular with their respective fan base and he'd just gone out and bought the popular tunes and thrown them altogether. It was horrendous and he went down rather well, which shows how much I know about the art of keeping the floor happy.

ROD

Social source share

Unaccustomed as I am to making pertinent points I do think some of you have got just a bit hung -up on this boot/VC thing.

If you like the music but would rather not spend vast sums on the originals, I can see nothing wrong with that. I take Bearsy's point about the excitement of obtaining the original and I feel exactly the same way but he admits to buying boots early on in his development and now with hindsight he says it was an empty experience. Im sure Im not the only collector on here who also started off with a mixture of formats and I can remember buying the Eddie Parker boot back when it was massive at the Torch and it was extremely pleasurable to be able to play this at home.

Still looking for a Mint original if anyone can help.

I also buy those 45s issued here that don't have an original US release and get as much pleasure from those as I do some elusive want arriving. I do agree that this is a rare soul scene but I'd contend that it refers to the music and not the format.

As for dj-ing. If someone gets their kicks from playing boots etc as long as they sound OK and the crowd enjoys it what does it matter.

I do dj occasionally Simon and those who've had the misfortune to be there can testify that I take a lot of 45s with me. If I got asked for the Kitchen Sink I'd probably have it with me!! So, someone coming on and playing an hour of boots [say 30 45s] isn't going to affect me. I try to play 45s that aren't booted anyway.

I also take the point made by whoever about repitition during a night as regards Joanne Courcy but can remember in the early days when you'd hear loads of 45s like Sweet Things, Glories,Younghearts,Tempos etc played a few times a night but we didn't mind. Obviously 30-odd years on there's more tracks to go at and there's no excuse if you are boring your audience.

I hope Im not wrong but I didn't think Joanne had been booted/issued. So the problem,if there is one, is not the easy availibility of boots but unimaginative djs who with all the wealth of stuff available are just chasing and playing the same 45s. However I would qualify that by saying if I'd just got a Courcy I might spin it too but I would make sure I'd not heard it on the night being hammered.

So, a pretty chilled outlook there I think.

What I can't fukcing stand , and Im thinking of a dj round here albeit a few years ago, who played a set comprising a mish-mash of Y2k R&B, House, old R&B, 70's, and odd 60's that were obviously all easily available, popular with their respective fan base and he'd just gone out and bought the popular tunes and thrown them altogether. It was horrendous and he went down rather well, which shows how much I know about the art of keeping the floor happy.

ROD

===================

You should get accustomed to it then, great post!!

Winnie :-)

Social source share

I think the term your looking for Rod is a "All the Hits By All The Stars" DJ or "Northern Stars on 45"...

I used to co-promote an Allnighter at Sheridans and my co-promotor was in charge of booking DJs, and kept booking a DJ who played the same spot as Roger Banks (but three years later)... couldn't see the point, esp. since we'd got the records between us.

Social source share

========================

What no exceptions?

Doesn't 'all the time' suggest there are exceptions, whereas ' every time' would not.

Hammy

Social source share

And another thing, next time you're stood there with Mr.Boot waiting to go on, don't treat him with disdain or as a social outcast and slap on your rarest 45 to make a point. With all tact it should be possible to maybe spin something worth peanuts in relation to the £30 he's just spent on Salvadores boot to illustrate that there's more to rare soul than just a high price tag and follow my leader.

ROD

Social source share

Rod, I made the point about the "Joanne Courcey" and you're right about discs being repeated in the past, but they were fresh and new at the time, whereas JC has been hammered for what seems like forever. I'm not having a pop at JC or the folks that own it, it IS (in my opinion) a very good Northern Soul record. What I am saying is the philosophy of spending your redundancy/inheritance/proceeds of armed robbery/whatever on 25 played out expensive toons, that you have to play coz there is no depth to your knowledge or collection is in my books on a par with the Bootleg playing D.J. I'm all in favour of creativity, imagination, and passion, and use the "Joanne Courcey incident" as one example, as there were other tunes, even on that night that were played more than once. I don't lose any sleep over this, but would certainly like to go to more venues where a little more imagination was employed.

Des Parker

Social source share

I'm still guilty of breaking the rules (Little Ann - Lean Lanky Daddy on a carvers I've played out once and I played a modern sound out last Sunday by the Dynamic Superiors from an LP which was issued as a 45 - but I was djing to myself :lol: ) but I stick to the general unwritten rules which includes playing dubs of lp tracks of which i own.

Excellent post Mr C.!

Social source share

Des,I thought I'd agreed with you there, my point being that it was OK in the past but no excuse to bore your audience just because you've spent all your money on the same top tunes as others and then find yourself with no back-up to rely on when the same tunes are spun on whatever format. As I said "chasing and playing the same 45s".

If I wanted to dj then I don't think going out and spending vast sums on say Lenny Curtis,Salvadores or whatever and then being caught out when someone else plays a boot or an original first is the best approach. If you can afford to amass a dj spot and classic collector oldies then fine but there is a difference in the two IMO, and if you wanna make it then you gotta be ahead of the game.

ROD

Social source share

I think that DJs should play within there limits. Playing origials and unissued tracks on vinyl is ok even if they do not own big money sounds. So playing good quality cheaper records is alot more proffesional than playing bootlegs. I went to a soul night in burton a couple of weeks back to see two so called DJs playing cds. I asked one if he had a vinyl policy and he pointed to a plastic bag saying we have got some records in there. i promptly drank my pint and left. :lol:

Social source share

Doesn't 'all the time' suggest there are exceptions, whereas ' every time' would not.

Hammy

==================

Not sure, personally I would have thought 'most' or 'some' of the time would have implied exceptions rather than all? Perhaps we can get one of the teachers on SS to give an definition of ALL??

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Been following this thread closely.Reason why is that I've just taken over running a soul night down here in Bournemouth.I've been covering the 1st 30/45 min spot then the last 30min spot.

Do I book dj's who will play originals or dj's who have boots but can get people dancing or go for both and risk upsetting one or the other?

In an ideal world I'd love to have dj's who play originals and get people up but knowing how some of the locals are down here do I carry on with my policy of originals or turn a blind eye.More food for thought.

By the way excellent post Mr C.Spot on.

Dave

Social source share

Been following this thread closely.Reason why is that I've just taken over running a soul night down here in Bournemouth.I've been covering the 1st 30/45 min spot then the last 30min spot.

Do I book dj's who will play originals or dj's who have boots but can get people dancing or go for both and risk upsetting one or the other?

In an ideal world I'd love to have dj's who play originals and get people up but knowing how some of the locals are down here do I carry on with my policy of originals or turn a blind eye.More food for thought.

By the way excellent post Mr C.Spot on.

Dave

I fail to see why this is a problem. I've always taken the view that a DJ's job is to get people up, otherwise why not just have a jukebox. So why is a problem finding DJs who play originals ??? The way your point reads implies that only DJs who play boots are capable of getting people dancing. Just not true.

Social source share

1. NO bootlegs

2. NO pressings

3. NO shitty compilation cd's

4. NO vinyl carvers or whatever they're called nowadays

EVER!! EVER!! EVER!!

And if not sure if it's real or not then don't play the ba$7ard!! (Very genuine mistakes excepted, maybe)

FFS there's enough original vinyl out there, for ANYONE with half a fu*kin brain to do a decent set.

The world's pis*in me off at the mo with letting things go. Everywhere you look, standards are dropping. No-one gives a toss for owt. Stand up for our scene. Stand up for your love rights. Or whatever.

Bejaysus. What a rant! I might even start buying the Daily Mail.......

Steve

Social source share

I fail to see why this is a problem. I've always taken the view that a DJ's job is to get people up, otherwise why not just have a jukebox. So why is a problem finding DJs who play originals ??? The way your point reads implies that only DJs who play boots are capable of getting people dancing. Just not true.

Dave,

I think its some of the crowd we get down here.Unfortunately they're used to the same old stuff.Would dearly love to change their ways and educate them in more recent finds.Yes, sorry my point came across the wrong way.I wasn't implying that.

Dave.

Social source share

Some great points on this thread. It would appear to me that different people have different expectations from DJs. Many people really don't care about the format their music is played on and this is simply a sign of the times. I think another sign of the times is the route that some 'DJs' take on their musical journeys. In Ye Olden Days of Yore, in my experience at least, the soul nights around the country were run by collectors first and foremost. The whole ethos of the 'scene' was built on these people. It's simply not the case anymore at many venues. The "knowledge" is still the attraction for some, but for many it's simply a local UK scene with the likes of Philly, Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit, being of little interest and supplanted by people's (promoter/DJs) little worlds involving their venues and no interest in anything further afield.

I would make one further observation too, in my experience the 'DJs" who rely on bootleg records are usually the laziest in terms of the music. Many of them have no interest in the actual music, it's artists, it's history or it's legacy. They are usually the 'followers' who thrash popular 'available' records after some real collector/DJ has already either reactivated it (Kiss My Love Goodbye) or play releases that are easily obtainable (Sharon Jones, Nicole Willis) AFTER someone elses has sought them out and broken them to the dancefloor. thmbdn.gif

A couple of great examples of this are:

Mick Smith dropping Marvin and Tammi into his set at the 100 club

and

Dave Rimmer championing the Nicole Willis Timmion 45 a couple of years ago.

Instead of searching out similar 45s, the lazier DJs amongst the fraternity simply followed suit with the same records filling their sets.

The playing of bootlegs is often justified by the people who do it by the quote "It's what's in the groove that counts". That's just another lazy cop out by people who probably couldn't tell you where that quote came from!

Mark Bicknell's post earlier made a good point. Collectors who collect original records should be standing tall, not justifying themselves to people who can't be arsed to do it properly. The collectors are the bedrock of both the Rare Soul and Northern Soul scenes. Always have been and always will be. When the bootleg playing DJs have returned to their 'normal' lives once again, which they surely will, it'll be us, the collectors who are still here doing exactly what we've always done. Hunting out the 45s, filing them, DJing with them, cleaning them, taping them, sharing them with other collectors, trading them, etc etc.

Collectors of the world UNITE! Be proud of your crates! Take no prisoners! Long Live the vinyl anorak!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

1. NO bootlegs

2. NO pressings

3. NO shitty compilation cd's

4. NO vinyl carvers or whatever they're called nowadays

EVER!! EVER!! EVER!!

And if not sure if it's real or not then don't play the ba$7ard!! (Very genuine mistakes excepted, maybe)

FFS there's enough original vinyl out there, for ANYONE with half a fu*kin brain to do a decent set.

The world's pis*in me off at the mo with letting things go. Everywhere you look, standards are dropping. No-one gives a toss for owt. Stand up for our scene. Stand up for your love rights. Or whatever.

Bejaysus. What a rant! I might even start buying the Daily Mail.......

Steve

Beat me to it! wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Let's face it there's TWO scenes, end the arguements:

1: Northern Soul Scene - It's what the dancers want, regardless of format, you're not going to change this fact.

2: The Rare Soul Scene - This is where Original 45's/LP's/Acetates are played - now these may be £10K or £10 but it's original, this will always be the smaller of the two scenes.

Occassionally they collide generally at a local level where pressure from the punter is the driving force, let face it as my mate Chico says, punter ask for a record, original only DJ says sorry mate ain't got that wish I had but can't afford the 2k for it, punter walks off saying crap DJ, Johnny boy pressing played it earlier/later he's the best DJ in the world, and the punter hasn't a clue what it was played from.

Social source share

Let's face it there's TWO scenes, end the arguements:

1: Northern Soul Scene - It's what the dancers want, regardless of format, you're not going to change this fact.

2: The Rare Soul Scene - This is where Original 45's/LP's/Acetates are played - now these may be £10K or £10 but it's original, this will always be the smaller of the two scenes.

Occassionally they collide generally at a local level where pressure from the punter is the driving force, let face it as my mate Chico says, punter ask for a record, original only DJ says sorry mate ain't got that wish I had but can't afford the 2k for it, punter walks off saying crap DJ, Johnny boy pressing played it earlier/later he's the best DJ in the world, and the punter hasn't a clue what it was played from.

If ANY DJ didn't have the bottle to say "sorry mate not got that one" then he/she doesn't deserve to be behind the decks. FFS the DJ ain't a juke box. Bo11ocks to the muppets who give it the 'you're a shite DJ aren't you'. The Johnny Boy you refer to should be pulled off the stage and publically horse whipped. And have his record box shoved up his ar5e.

To thine own self be true etc etc.

JUST SAY NO!!!!

Steve

Social source share

If ANY DJ didn't have the bottle to say "sorry mate not got that one" then he/she doesn't deserve to be behind the decks. FFS the DJ ain't a juke box. Bo11ocks to the muppets who give it the 'you're a shite DJ aren't you'. The Johnny Boy you refer to should be pulled off the stage and publically horse whipped. And have his record box shoved up his ar5e.

JUST SAY NO!!!!

Steve

LOL well funny ... hey Womble I'll see you at Skeg laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

JUST SAY NO!!!!

Steve

EXACTLY :huh: You cant have every record in existence with you and i aint got many but even still i always say " no sorry i didnt bring that one with me tonight but if i remember next time i will" wicked.gif or just say " ask the next dj as he carries a load of shite with him" laugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

EXACTLY :lol: You cant have every record in existence with you and i aint got many but even still i always say " no sorry i didnt bring that one with me tonight but if i remember next time i will" wicked.gif or just say " ask the next dj as he carries a load of shite with him" laugh.giflaugh.gif

I think theres a NS gig now where they have a couple of ipods with almost every NS track , and everyone gets their request played .. :P the ipods out doen ya Bearsy .. :huh: btw Its a gig I'd never attend

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I think theres a NS gig now where they have a couple of ipods with almost every NS track , and everyone gets their request played .. :) the ipods out doen ya Bearsy .. :lol: btw Its a gig I'd never attend

I hear laptops have been used before too :(

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

That was Chris King , but he said he was recording his spot , not using deejay software !!

i know they are used at house nights as most stuff that comes out now is only on download but they are water marked or something like that but i suppose thats still original format but does it matter in that scene i dont know

Social source share

Are the punters REALLY that judgmental round your way :( . "No I haven't got it with me, I only bought a 200 box" - does not equal crap DJ. I always try and engage people who ask me for something i don't have with me, example being the other friday someone asked me for a 4 Tops record which I didn't have (obviously got it at home, not in the box) - we ended up agreeing to play something Motown - which I could do - punter happy, dancefloor happy, me happy...As a DJ if you got a personality it's not usually that difficult. We've all had the odd nutty punter, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Steve

Social source share

i know they are used at house nights as most stuff that comes out now is only on download but they are water marked or something like that but i suppose thats still original format but does it matter in that scene i dont know

Of course opinions are split on every scene !

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Are the punters REALLY that judgmental round your way :lol: . "No I haven't got it with me, I only bought a 200 box" - does not equal crap DJ. I always try and engage people who ask me for something i don't have with me, example being the other friday someone asked me for a 4 Tops record which I didn't have (obviously got it at home, not in the box) - we ended up agreeing to play something Motown - which I could do - punter happy, dancefloor happy, me happy...As a DJ if you got a personality it's not usually that difficult. We've all had the odd nutty punter, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Steve

bang on Steve keeping everybody happy is important and they probably walked off saying not only is he a great dj but a bloody nice bloke too :(

Social source share

I think Mr. Moore may well have his rosy-tinted Raybans on!!!

First of all it is patently untrue that someone with a box comprising pressings etc who fancies dj-ing has less interest in the actual music. I seem to remember plenty of original collectors who were around and aren't anymore. So much for their passion and committment!! Also the djs and promoters of "yore" were not all in it with the purpose of expanding their knowledge base if my memories of the Torch are anything to go by. I think it was more to do with having a good time and what was happening in Philly didn't really come into it. History and legacy were extremely hazy and nebulous concepts in those days.

You don't have to own a box full of pressings to be a follower. There are plenty of original only jocks who don't find their own records. Can I just say John Anderson here, or Dave Raistrick or John Manship. I've found a few in my time but only cos I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. A fukcin monkey can do it!! I have no huge knowledge base or interest really beyond do I like the record. What is difficult is then getting some of these "I don't play boots or cheap 45s" brigade to actually buy and have faith in the new discoveries. Nearly had to force Richard to buy Flash McKinney off me a few years back. Im sure John Manship would have tales of being turned down on 45s that have gone on to be monstrous.

No one is asking people with original collections to justify themselves but there's plenty of slagging off on here of guys playing boots. They just might be not as anal-retentive as us collectors and are quite happy spending their money on other things.

I am not defending here guys who puposely set out to VC their way to fame but all those fans around the country who want to do a spot at their local night with their 45s that happen to be pressings.

Finally, dropping Marvin and Tammi IMO is NOT NOT a good example in my book. Pop schmaltz. And that's imaginative - do me a favour!!

"Hey Rod, play me something different or left-field" It ain't gonna feature in my top 30,000!!

I would agree with Dave only in that Bettye Swann, Sharon Jones and Nicle whatever deserved to be broken on the dancefloor. It's nice to see Pete Smith being taken seriously at last.

ROD

PS I feel I am entitled to put my views across cos I know that "....in the groove..." is on one of those Motown thingys.

Social source share

First of all it is patently untrue that someone with a box comprising pressings etc who fancies dj-ing has less interest in the actual music. I seem to remember plenty of original collectors who were around and aren't anymore. So much for their passion and committment!! Also the djs and promoters of "yore" were not all in it with the purpose of expanding their knowledge base if my memories of the Torch are anything to go by. I think it was more to do with having a good time and what was happening in Philly didn't really come into it. History and legacy were extremely hazy and nebulous concepts in those days.

You don't have to own a box full of pressings to be a follower. There are plenty of original only jocks who don't find their own records. Can I just say John Anderson here, or Dave Raistrick or John Manship. I've found a few in my time but only cos I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. A fukcin monkey can do it!! I have no huge knowledge base or interest really beyond do I like the record. What is difficult is then getting some of these "I don't play boots or cheap 45s" brigade to actually buy and have faith in the new discoveries. Nearly had to force Richard to buy Flash McKinney off me a few years back. Im sure John Manship would have tales of being turned down on 45s that have gone on to be monstrous.

No one is asking people with original collections to justify themselves but there's plenty of slagging off on here of guys playing boots. They just might be not as anal-retentive as us collectors and are quite happy spending their money on other things.

I am not defending here guys who puposely set out to VC their way to fame but all those fans around the country who want to do a spot at their local night with their 45s that happen to be pressings.

Finally, dropping Marvin and Tammi IMO is NOT NOT a good example in my book. Pop schmaltz. And that's imaginative - do me a favour!!

"Hey Rod, play me something different or left-field" It ain't gonna feature in my top 30,000!!

I would agree with Dave only in that Bettye Swann, Sharon Jones and Nicle whatever deserved to be broken on the dancefloor. It's nice to see Pete Smith being taken seriously at last.

ROD

PS I feel I am entitled to put my views across cos I know that "....in the groove..." is on one of those Motown thingys.

fantastic post ...the dj's at the Torch gave it everything they had, though occasionly the odd ball shyte track slipped through, why Alan Day persitted with Judy In Disguise by Offenbach will remain one of lifes mysteries. :lol:

And Chris Burton wasn;t into it for the cash.. :(

Social source share

Guest SteveC

I've been covering the 1st 30/45 min spot then the last 30min spot.

Dave,

I think its some of the crowd we get down here.Unfortunately they're used to the same old stuff.Would dearly love to change their ways and educate them in more recent finds.Yes, sorry my point came across the wrong way.I wasn't implying that.

Dave.

I totally understand and sympathise - through experience. Dave, Molly and I did the same knowing damn well that the spots at the beginning and end would be played to near on 3/4 people (no exaggeration) and we would not dream of our guests not DJing at a time when most of the crowd were in.

It really does niggle at you when you know the crowd do not appreciate or care what format the musics on ....I was then going to say "there is a reason why its called Northern Soul but it seems the same attitude exists around the country.

One thing I must say after reading a few recent posts on this thread is sometimes the elitism can go OTT. On a couple of occasions smart arses have asked for records that they know damn well you ain't got to try and embarrass you or attempt to make you feel you're not worthy of being on the same bill as the big boys regardless of the fact that you're sticking to the OVO principles and have been booked on merit (obviously bored). They're as bad as the folk at the other end of the soul principle scale as far as I'm concerned. Sorry - rant over.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Mick, Ray and myself run a small venue in Peterborough that has one simple rule, play what the hell you want but please refrain from playing bootlegs.

As far as promoters taking prime spots with a box full of boots, get on with it. It's their promotion they can do what they like, we at dkof take a back seat and believe a good night out is far more enjoybale than using the evening to say "look at what I got last week" In fact since dkof's conception I have only dj'd twice at the venue and won't be playing again until Decemeber, I even paid a fiver to get into my OWN soul night so as to try and balance the books to cover Thorley and Hennigans agreed fees.

We just love our music, nowt else.

PD

THOUGHT MICK AND RAY RAN THIS DO LOL :(

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

PEOPLE play boots cause they are wanna be's it goes like this oooh I want to be famous cause i have a small willy.how can I do this? I know I'll buy a load of bootlegs,start my own handbag nite then I can be a famous NORMAN SOUL DJ and if I get my pals in the area to start their own hanbag nights we can all dj at one anothers nights and look really important. if people want soul nights run by people with integrity well they can jolly well F**K OFF to another proper do,besides I really just want their cash as well as looking famous,Idon't even like the F**FING music and will be gone soon enough :(

Social source share

ROD

Evening Rod,

Raybans?? Can't afford Raybans Mate, not at the prices of vinyl these days. :(

I wasn't around when this scene started so I shall bow to your knowledge and experience as far as the Torch etc are concerned. I can only relate my experiences as they happened to me.

I don't really care what other people play/do, it's their business and I wouldn't presume to tell someone else how to enjoy their lifestyle. I was simply defending what I do, as it seemed to me that collector/DJs were getting the short end of the stick and, to be honest, I've been for a long run, pulled a hamstring and damn it, somebody was gonna get a slice! :):lol:

M and T = Pop Schmaltz? Maybe but he filled a dancefloor with a not too oft played 45 and received a big round of applause for it. Then lots of "DJs" decided to play it, that's really the point I was making.

Social source share

Dave,at your age the only thing you should run is a bath.

I didn't really get the feeling that collectors were getting stick but the non-original colllectors were. As you say it's their choice and has no effect on what others do.

I think maybe there's two things getting slightly confused on this thread. Those who have boots and in the case of Mr.Darcy's post those who wanna be famous which seems to have got equated with boots.

Im sure there's plenty who wanna be famous who can afford the originals. Again it's nowt to do with the format, just the intention of those playing them.

I see your point re. M&T and it's NOT been booted. So it must be the original guys who are to blame for that then!! It's bland pop and Im amazed that Mick's lapse gave an excuse for others to spin it. I wondered why I kept seeing it on Ebay as Northern Soul. It was everything we didn't like about the way Motown was going when I got into Northern.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert