Spinning Album Tracks

Guest andyrattigan

knuckle dragger? I'm losing my english. aren't we back to the same old argument about legitimate first time UK releases being acceptable or not? One of my favourite sounds ever is don gardner's cheatin' kind. Am I ever going to own a US original? Am I buggery. I'm seriously thinking of buying the grapevine 2000 release for a tenner. No should I play it out or do I reserve it for behind-closed-doors intimate moments? My spanish friends have the right to hear it, I say...

Edited by macca
Social source share

• Replies 87
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"i have a feeling if i have to explain it , then you wouldn't get it ...and that's fine . i know what i mean and as i say most of the people i dj with do too"

"personal preferences , don't worry about it"

Dunedeedavie, I would like to know what you have you explain ? There is Nothing to Explain, as many well respected people have already said on the thead, there are several tracks that you would not be able to play on any other format apart from the original album. Because of this you are closing the door to many many very good soul tracks, unless you have a Boot made! Surely this is more of a No No than playing an album. With regard to Mik Parry's rare single, every time you play it out on your album, surely you are doing a service for Mik Parry and his single. Because it is getting a lot more exposure by you also playing it, because it must be pushing up the demand and also the price!

By the Way Dundeedavie, what is the track?

Would really like to know!

Bully

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Ah!

So a person who invests the time, energy and money in finding a rare 45 not only owns the 45 but he (or she) also obtains an exclusive license to the track, prohibiting anyone else in the world from playing it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Fascinating.

As per your last comment, Apologies.

I thought we were referring to soul venues.

:thumbsup:

you didn't need an explanation of what is something I feel ...i'm not asking you to agree with my personal preferences sean .

is there much early 60's played at those venues ?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

"i have a feeling if i have to explain it , then you wouldn't get it ...and that's fine . i know what i mean and as i say most of the people i dj with do too"

"personal preferences , don't worry about it"

Dunedeedavie, I would like to know what you have you explain ? There is Nothing to Explain, as many well respected people have already said on the thead, there are several tracks that you would not be able to play on any other format apart from the original album. Because of this you are closing the door to many many very good soul tracks, unless you have a Boot made! Surely this is more of a No No than playing an album. With regard to Mik Parry's rare single, every time you play it out on your album, surely you are doing a service for Mik Parry and his single. Because it is getting a lot more exposure by you also playing it, because it must be pushing up the demand and also the price!

By the Way Dundeedavie, what is the track?

Would really like to know!

Bully

for god's sake read the answers ...i play albums tracks of things that are album only .maybe if you read that on my previous answers before repied you could have saved yourself the time

Social source share

"you didn't need an explanation of what is something I feel ...i'm not asking you to agree with my personal preferences sean ".

"is there much early 60's played at those venues" ?

Yes there is Dundeedavie, but you wouldn't like it there, they only use albums!

Bully :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

"you didn't need an explanation of what is something I feel ...i'm not asking you to agree with my personal preferences sean ".

"is there much early 60's played at those venues" ?

Yes there is Dundeedavie, but you wouldn't like it there, they only use albums!

Bully :thumbsup:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: the level of comprehension is astonishing

Social source share

you didn't need an explanation of what is something I feel ...i'm not asking you to agree with my personal preferences sean .

is there much early 60's played at those venues ?

OK Mate, to each his own I guess.

Neither one of us should be on a personal crusade for one school of thought or the other.

We should agree to disagee on this occasion. I just happen to come from the school of thought that a Soul DJ should actually 'Promote' Soul music. Its what I've always tried to do and am quite wedded to that cause.

This debate has emanated from Andy's original LP question. I think it would be totally unreasonable to exclude LP's from his sets, because of what other people might think. I'm pretty sure that the greater majority in any venue would much prefer to hear the record, in any format, rather than have it excluded because of some exclusive DJ pact (of sorts).

Early 80's, Richard Searling had his 'Sandy Linzer' cover up and Pat Brady had his "Brother Louis Brown' cover up. Both were on 45's. I was DJ'ing with these guys at the time and discerned that one was Reuben Howell and the other Wilson Pickett. I had both albums and played both tracks, as did other DJ's at the time (Poke, Steve Croft etc.).

Result... two of the biggest tunes on the scene for several months, nationwide... because they were promoted by more than one DJ. Of course the 45's weren't really that 'hard' either... but I'd picked up both LP's at Fox's Sale in Doncaster for only 50p each... so why not play 'em. It benefitted everyone... and never a cross word from eith Richard or Pat.

I think this "if I've got it, you can't play it' thing is a fairly recent phenomena (hence my 'Johhny Come Lately' comment earlier). I find it a particularly unattractive evolution as I feel it implies that the DJ is bigger than the music itself.

But we beg to differ.

Regarding venues, to be fair, no there's not much early 60's played at the places I mentioned. More mid to late 60's onwards. But they have been responsible for breaking some of the best and biggest tracks on the UK Soul scene in the past 15 years - from all eras (on all formats).

Sean

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

OK Mate, to each his own I guess.

I think this "if I've got it, you can't play it' thing is a fairly recent phenomena (hence my 'Johhny Come Lately' comment earlier). I find it a particularly unattractive evolution as I feel it implies that the DJ is bigger than the music itself.

But we beg to differ.

Regarding venues, to be fair, no there's not much early 60's played at the places I mentioned. More mid to late 60's onwards. But they have been responsible for breaking some of the best and biggest tracks on the UK Soul scene in the past 15 years - from all eras (on all formats).

Sean

:lol: i wouldn't expect anyone to think like me hahaha

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Ah Right!

So this '45 only fetish' is a 'fashion' thing is it Simon?

Sort of a 'HotBox' thing huh?

That explains it.

Thought it must be a new 'fad' thing... cos it's never been a feature of any Soul Scene I've ever been involved in.

Firstly, Andy, I'd never work for a promoter that had such a small minded approach and if any punter thought he could dictate to me what format I choose to play during my alloted 60 minutes he or she would get my full 12" where the sun don't shine.

Thank F#CK I'm not influenced by other people's stupid fashions and that there's other sane folk on this thread, cos if LP tracks are no longer allowed to be played without being 'guilty' then the lunatics are finally in charge of the asylum.

What Idiotic nonsense!

I'm Guilty as Charged!

:lol:

Sean

Hi Sean

I agree with everything you say. I think a lot of this "45 only thing has to do with peoples egos more so than anything else. Most punters just want to hear good tracks and they don't care if it's off a "45 or an album as long as it is an original release. I also dont see anything wrong with spinning of legitimate UK released vinyl, although I prefer to have the U.S. releases.

I don't DJ that often, but, if I did I wouldn't want to spin at a club that was overrun with folk obsessed whether I was playing from an album or "45. It's not because I would care what they thought, but rather that I would probably end up very angry if I had the soul police hanging over my shoulder, checking whether I was playin an album or a "45. I would probably end up punching someone! :lol:

Thank God, most people I have met don't subscribe to this nonsense. I started this thread as I was trying to get an overall feel for people's feelings on this topic. It would seem sense prevails through most of the UK scene.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

personal preference ... also however the preference of most of the people i know and Dj with and the club i co-run :thumbsup:

i'll give an example .... there is a track mik parry plays that i love at the mo , i could get it on album but it is available on what seems to be a very rare 45, i won't buy the album because that would be dis-respectful to mik who put in the effort to find it .

Davie

Not wanting to own a legitimately released record on the original label so as not to piss off someone who has the rarer "45, seems to be more about egos than music. If anyone told me they felt that I had disrespected them for buying an original album because they had the rarer 45, I would ask them what gives them the exclusive ownership over the tune? Surely, the artists who recorded this music of ours wanted the widest possible audience for their art. 12" or 7" is irrelevant as long as it's an original release.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Not wanting to own a legitimately released record on the original label so as not to piss off someone who has the rarer "45, seems to be more about egos than music. If anyone told me they felt that I had disrespected them for buying an original album because they had the rarer 45, I would ask them what gives them the exclusive ownership over the tune? Surely, the artists who recorded this music of ours wanted the widest possible audience for their art. 12" or 7" is irrelevant as long as it's an original release.

i'm talking about playing them out not buying them ..... :thumbsup:

this is laughable now

Social source share

Spot on Paul.....

Not playing album tracks? Crazy!!!

Dysons Faces - welcome to all this love & til I get this feeling of love........

Smoke - so glad u came along - you will always be a part of me - now you're gone.....

Clyde Mcphatter - give me 1 more chance & anyone can tell

ohio players - love slipped through my fingers

sidney joe qualls - i don't do this

Rhetta Hughes - i cry myself to sleep

Gene Townsel

etc etc etc etc .............

Bejaysus!! Without album tracks that's half my playbox gone!! Still, many would say that's a good thing............ :lol:

Mr,Levine,Had the Clyde Mcphatter,track transferred to a 45,if I remember right.

And Bobby Hutton was LP,only.

Kev :thumbsup:

Social source share

for god's sake read the answers ...i play albums tracks of things that are album only .maybe if you read that on my previous answers before repied you could have saved yourself the time

But Davie, as I said earlier in the thread , in many cases the LP IS rarer than the 45 !!! eg Alex Brown , The Topics etc

And what about the collectors who spend "time, money and effort" obtaining those rare LPs ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

i'm talking about playing them out not buying them ..... :thumbsup:

this is laughable now

Hi Davie

I didn't articulate myself very well in my last post. I mean owning the record and playing it out.

Social source share

Mr,Levine,Had the Clyde Mcphatter,track transferred to a 45,if I remember right.

And Bobby Hutton was LP,only.

Kev :thumbsup:

You can put yer`LP away,now on a Aussie anniversary 45,with big man on t`other side. :lol:

Social source share

Decent Soul DJ's in the UK have always used LP tracks.

I don't know where the thinking comes from regarding 45's only (unless its a Johnny Come Lately thing!).

It's laughable.

Going back to the embryonic 'Northern' scene, tracks such as Stevie Wonders "Love A GoGo" and "Angel Baby" - Temptations "I Gotta Find a Way" - Marvelettes "Your Love Can Save Me" - Monitors "Share A Little Love With Me" - Miracles "More, More, More Of Your Love" and "Soulful Shack" were staple dancefloor album only monsters.

In more recent years (74 onwards) who would deny these gems a worthy place on anyones playlist (or for that matter, deny any dancefloor):-

Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance" & "Anyone Can Tell"

Willie Hutch "Lucky To Be Loved By You" and "Lets Try It Over"

Isley Brothers "My Love Is Your Love Forever"

David Ruffin "What You Gave Me"

Marvin Gaye "Tear It On Down"

Maxine Brown "Don't Leave Me Baby"

Carla Thomas "I Play For Keeps"

Freddie Butler "You Better Get Hip Girl"

Chuck Jackson "That's Me Loving You"

Originals "Don't Stop Now"

Dells "Don't Trick Me Treat Me"

Darell Banks "Forgive Me"

Stairsteps "I'm The One Who Loves You"

James Conwell "LOVE"

Sandra Wright "I'll Come Running Back"

Willie Tee "Bring On The Heartaches"

Rufus Lumley "Stronger Than Me"

Spyder Turner "I Can't Wait"

Metros "I'll Never Forget You"

All obvious LP only Classics... and I could go on all night. There are hundreds of fabulous records on LP only so why any DJ would want to narrow his spot down and not play such incredible records is beyond me.

Too lazy to carry 'em? :thumbsup:

Can't cue 'em? :lol:

Or just scared of what other people might think? :lol:

Get with the program!

Say NO to Format Facism.

You have nothing to lose but your hang ups!

Sean

BRAVO ! BRAVO !

Well said Sean ......

The statement of it has to be only 45s that are used is total and utter bollocks ......

Obviously another plot by the SP to impliment aparteid within the scene ......

" Thou shall not play big records , for thou shalt be struck down " ......

Give it a rest , for God's sake .....

Let's get on with enjoying , and savouring , the music : life is too short , and there are so many records - whatever the format they are on - out there ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I was seriously asked the other week how to identify members of the SP, if they dressed/behaved in a particular way, any tell tale sings that gave them away etc; the person in question is about to attend his first event in the UK, the 100 Club 28th anniversary. he's genuinely nervous about it, poor sod.

Social source share

I realised the other day when I looked at my edge cracked copy of The Spinners that I can cut the LP down to 7" with pair of tin snips and still retain 'I'll Be Around'. Is this acceptable? Same with the Voices Of East Harlem. I reckon I could fashion 'Rare, So Rare' down to a 7". I find this a very feasable and credible answer to the problem of playing LPs when DJing.

I tried it with my copy of 'Free Angela', but realised halfway through that Dickie Wonder was too far out in the grooves. If anyone wants a pretty Free Angela spiral window decoration I can send you the ebay link.

While we're at it. 5 or 3 inch CD's? Which would you rather hear at your favourite allnighter?

Social source share

I realised the other day when I looked at my edge cracked copy of The Spinners that I can cut the LP down to 7" with pair of tin snips and still retain 'I'll Be Around'. Is this acceptable? Same with the Voices Of East Harlem. I reckon I could fashion 'Rare, So Rare' down to a 7". I find this a very feasable and credible answer to the problem of playing LPs when DJing.

I tried it with my copy of 'Free Angela', but realised halfway through that Dickie Wonder was too far out in the grooves. If anyone wants a pretty Free Angela spiral window decoration I can send you the ebay link.

While we're at it. 5 or 3 inch CD's? Which would you rather hear at your favourite allnighter?

When we were very young a mate of mine actually did that with the Lord Sitar LP.

But he used a red hot stanley knife and a turntable at 78rpm :ohmy:

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Yes he did Steve.

A strong nomination for the best set I've ever heard too!

Quality throughout.... and a dagger through the heart of any silly '45 only' nonsense.

:ohmy:

Sean

Wow!

Just stumbled onto this thread late - first of all, many many thanks for your kind words Sean (and also Steve G too!) Yep, it was great fun doing that 'LP only' set at Yarmouth and I was over the moon with the reception to it too, particularly as it was at a crucial moment in the night with a rammed house looking to be entertained!!!!! The round of applause at the end was possibly the best thing I've EVER experienced on the soul scene!!!!!!!!

I didn't realise there was any resistance to any DJ using original LP's to DJ with as I've never come across it before? I simply apply the same rules to LP's as I would to playing of original 45. I also play tracks from original LP's that have come out on 45 too, without feeling at all guilty! (Luther on Cotillion for example).

Low sound needn't be an issue, as long as your playing on a quality system, you just need to tweak a couple of the right buttons and you're away (as long as you remember to put them back after though!!!!)

There's stil loads and loads of great LP tracks waiting to be re-discovered. The 'LP only' CD swap that about 30 of us from soul-source did a few months ago is testament to that!!!

LP tracks are the new black :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

:D:lol:laugh.gif
Wittiest thing I"ve read on here for ages, nice one mattbolton
:rolleyes:

Puts all this 45/33 nonsense into perspective if you ask me

Cheers Paul

Social source share

No problem at all with Lp only tracks, some brilliant Motown stuff as mentioned on here many times.

And how else are you gonna get to play the Fantastic Spyder Turner-I'm Alive with a lovin' Feeling ???

ATB

Tony

Wey Hey !! Terra Shirma at its best ! - always always played it out - before the "45" appeared

Social source share

Just spotted this thread back in1969 I used to play a cut down LP with a lot of love - Taj Mahal on the inside track at the Wheel, I used a lot of LP tracks not available as singles such as You can count on me and somebody up there likes you of the Higher and Higher album other tracks from The Artistics,The Dynatones,Earl Van Dyke,The MIracles,Stevie Wonder etc etc.I must confess I had them put on EMI discs for ease of carrying didnt know any better then.LP tracks should always have apart to play the late great Roger Eagle used them regularly, I just thought DJs couln't be arsed carrying them cheers Brian

Social source share

wasnt that one of those CBS sampler lps where the Taj Mahal track happened to be the last track on one side?......Bri Carthy told me about that.........

Yes that's right a guy called Jim Halliday cut it down he use to come down with Dickie Watt from Carlisle always looking for something new and that went down pretty good so why not. cheers Brian

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

"somethin' bout cha" by latimore is a wonderful modern choon i really love...it is sooo deeeep...and full o' soul...i guess it is just a lp track, was never released on 45, wasnt it? why should this choon not be played for e.g. a radio audience??? wonderful choons out there never issued as 45. i got loads of these superb LP choons that makes you smile all day long...cheers. matt

Social source share

"somethin' bout cha" by latimore is a wonderful modern choon i really love...it is sooo deeeep...and full o' soul...i guess it is just a lp track, was never released on 45, wasnt it? why should this choon not be played for e.g. a radio audience??? wonderful choons out there never issued as 45. i got loads of these superb LP choons that makes you smile all day long...cheers. matt

Great record and did come out on a 45. Got a UK 45 release as well. Dig the other side "sweet vibrations" as well.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert