Spinning Album Tracks

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

Just wondering what are people's views on tracks being spun from original album releases, even when the track is available on 45?

I collect both 45's and original albums. If I can pick up a 45 release off an original album, then I prefer to do so. It makes much more sense in that you get extra tunes some of which are album only tracks.

Have never DJed in the UK just in Ireland. If I was ever lucky enough to get a spot here in Britain, would I be hoisted from the decks by the soul police for playing off albums, even though they are original releases?

Slightly off topic but I've spotted a couple of crafty DJ's in my day playing very obvious pressings. I even did it myself once :rolleyes:blush.gif a few years ago in Dublin, but have since learned the error of my ways.

Social source share

• Replies 87
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just wondering what are people's views on tracks being spun from original album releases, even when the track is available on 45?

I collect both 45's and original albums. If I can pick up a 45 release off an original album, then I prefer to do so. It makes much more sense in that you get extra tunes some of which are album only tracks.

Have never DJed in the UK just in Ireland. If I was ever lucky enough to get a spot here in Britain, would I be hoisted from the decks by the soul police for playing off albums, even though they are original releases?

Slightly off topic but I've spotted a couple of crafty DJ's in my day playing very obvious pressings. I even did it myself once :rolleyes:blush.gif a few years ago in Dublin, but have since learned the error of my ways.

Of course you can play off albums - no problem whatsoever, and I have seen several promiment members of the Soul Police do so regularly themselves. The only problems with albums are

1) the sound is often quieter than on a 45

2) you need to lug around a 12" box

In fact Mr Plumb from Op Norf did an hour of album tracks at "Essence" last year to a raptuous reception

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Slightly off topic but I've spotted a couple of crafty DJ's in my day playing very obvious pressings. I even did it myself once :thumbsup::lol: a few years ago in Dublin, but have since learned the error of my ways.

The scene should positively encourage the playing of LP's , and as a show of support for LP enthusiasts I'll often play the LP ahead of a DJ that has the rare 45 off the same LP , eg Alex Brown, Terry Callier, New Sounds, Delilah Moore , Emory & the Dynamics , Topics , Clarence Hill , Gloria Barnes , Ultimates , Free Angela ...

Soul LP's still remain a hugely untapped source of great undiscovered/underappreciated dancefloor sounds in northern soul terms, including LP only tracks from the likes of The Directions, Step By Step , Heaven Sent & Ecstacy , H Andrews Congregation, Odyssey 5 , Quinn Harris , Ginji James , Swiss Movement etc etc

Social source share

It's no big deal, been going on for over 35 years, Isley Bros - Tell me rumour came from an

album track, although I do seem to remember an Indian Tamla Motown issue 45 and maybe

even a West German 45 release. Sometimes they can be different takes like D banks - Someone

Somewhere.

Chris L

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

i wouldn't feel comfortable playing a track that had had a 45 release, however rare, off an LP, especially as a guest, Johnny Taylor for example. not cool is it?. And LP only tracks now, I'd rather get 45s made, mastered nice and loud.

I agree Mik...Got most of my album only tracks vinyl carvered...It's bad enough keeping yer eye on 45's without lugging lp's around.

Social source share

I don't see a problem with this. I bought the bobby bland 'touch of the blues' for 'sweet lips of joy', a wonderful track. it deserves plays. wouldn't know where to go for carvers (?). a recent addition to my LP collection is jimmy hughes 'why not tonight?' on ATCO. slippin' around, neighbor, neighbor & others. it makes sense to me.

Social source share

Decent Soul DJ's in the UK have always used LP tracks.

I don't know where the thinking comes from regarding 45's only (unless its a Johnny Come Lately thing!).

It's laughable.

Going back to the embryonic 'Northern' scene, tracks such as Stevie Wonders "Love A GoGo" and "Angel Baby" - Temptations "I Gotta Find a Way" - Marvelettes "Your Love Can Save Me" - Monitors "Share A Little Love With Me" - Miracles "More, More, More Of Your Love" and "Soulful Shack" were staple dancefloor album only monsters.

In more recent years (74 onwards) who would deny these gems a worthy place on anyones playlist (or for that matter, deny any dancefloor):-

Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance" & "Anyone Can Tell"

Willie Hutch "Lucky To Be Loved By You" and "Lets Try It Over"

Isley Brothers "My Love Is Your Love Forever"

David Ruffin "What You Gave Me"

Marvin Gaye "Tear It On Down"

Maxine Brown "Don't Leave Me Baby"

Carla Thomas "I Play For Keeps"

Freddie Butler "You Better Get Hip Girl"

Chuck Jackson "That's Me Loving You"

Originals "Don't Stop Now"

Dells "Don't Trick Me Treat Me"

Darell Banks "Forgive Me"

Stairsteps "I'm The One Who Loves You"

James Conwell "LOVE"

Sandra Wright "I'll Come Running Back"

Willie Tee "Bring On The Heartaches"

Rufus Lumley "Stronger Than Me"

Spyder Turner "I Can't Wait"

Metros "I'll Never Forget You"

All obvious LP only Classics... and I could go on all night. There are hundreds of fabulous records on LP only so why any DJ would want to narrow his spot down and not play such incredible records is beyond me.

Too lazy to carry 'em? :thumbsup:

Can't cue 'em? :lol:

Or just scared of what other people might think? :lol:

Get with the program!

Say NO to Format Facism.

You have nothing to lose but your hang ups!

Sean

Social source share

I don't know where the thinking comes from regarding 45's only (unless its a Johnny Come Lately thing!).

It's laughable.

Going back to the embryonic 'Northern' scene, tracks such as Stevie Wonders "Love A GoGo" and "Angel Baby" - Temptations "I Gotta Find a Way" - Marvelettes "Your Love Can Save Me" - Monitors "Share A Little Love With Me" - Miracles "More, More, More Of Your Love" and "Soulful Shack" were staple dancefloor album only monsters.

In more recent years (74 onwards) who would deny these gems a worthy place on anyones playlist (or for that matter, deny any dancefloor):-

James Conwell "LOVE"

All obvious LP only Classics... and I could go on all night. There are hundreds of fabulous records on LP only so why any DJ would want to narrow his spot down and not play such incredible records is beyond me.

Too lazy to carry 'em? :thumbsup:

Or just scared of what other people might think? :lol:

Get with the program!

Say NO to Format Facism.

Sean

What an excellent post!!!!

As an LP fan I agree 100%!!!!

By the way is the Marvin Gaye track Tear it on down the same as the Originals Version?

Edited by Reg
Social source share

What an excellent post!!!!

As an LP fan I agree 100%!!!!

By the way is the Marvin Gaye track Tear it on down the same as the Originals Version?

Thank you.

I rarely get 100% agreement from anyone!

:lol:

Regarding "Tear It On Down", yes, its an Ashford & Simpson song, also done by Martha Reeves (ON LP ONLY :lol: ).

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Thank you.

I rarely get 100% agreement from anyone!

Regarding "Tear It On Down", yes, its an Ashford & Simpson song, also done by Martha Reeves (ON LP ONLY :yes: ).

Sean

Hiya Sean! I've always been a great advocate of LP tracks & tried to highlight them in Soulin'.

They may be awkward to cue....but Thelma Houston "Nothing Left To Give", Smoke "Sunshine Roses...", Geoffrey Stoner "Brand New Woman", Gladys/Pips "It Takes A Whole Lotta Woman...", Michael Henderson "Ask The Lonely", Leon Haywood "They Just Don't Make 'Em...", Womack "Something For My Head" etc etc etc are worth wearing a head torch for!!!

(P.S. - say hello to John for me!)

Social source share

Hiya Sean! I've always been a great advocate of LP tracks & tried to highlight them in Soulin'.

They may be awkward to cue....but Thelma Houston "Nothing Left To Give", Smoke "Sunshine Roses...", Geoffrey Stoner "Brand New Woman", Gladys/Pips "It Takes A Whole Lotta Woman...", Michael Henderson "Ask The Lonely", Leon Haywood "They Just Don't Make 'Em...", Womack "Something For My Head" etc etc etc are worth wearing a head torch for!!!

Fully agree with all those choices. Didn't think anyone else rated Michael Henderson's waxing of "Ask The Lonely" as much as I do.

A Beautiful version.

Will certainly say hello to John for you (but he's been keeping a low profile lately). Wonder if he'll make one in the car for tomorrow night at the Bass Museum. I promise a feast of LP only delights.... including the sublime rendition of "I'll Try Something New" by Kiki Dee (A Music For Pleasure LP only track... but I'm certain you'll not hear a better crossover tune, anywhere, this weekend!).

Sean

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

It's laughable.

James Conwell "LOVE"

Too lazy to carry 'em? :lol:

Or just scared of what other people might think? :yes:

Get with the program!

Say NO to Format Facism.

Sean

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup: . Glad to know there are plenty of folk that aren't biased against albums out there, as I've come across a few of the "it has to be played off a 45" brigade in my time. As long as it's an original release the format doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned.

Social source share

Fully agree with all those choices. Didn't think anyone else rated Michael Henderson's waxing of "Ask The Lonely" as much as I do.

A Beautiful version.

Will certainly say hello to John for you (but he's been keeping a low profile lately). Wonder if he'll make one in the car for tomorrow night at the Bass Museum. I promise a feast of LP only delights.... including the sublime rendition of "I'll Try Something New" by Kiki Dee (A Music For Pleasure LP only track... but I'm certain you'll not hear a better crossover tune, anywhere, this weekend!).

Sean

That's two of us mate! Michael henderson is a Supreme version! Kiki Dee?? Saw an LP down my local dump just today and left it. Better go back tomorrow..........!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

if it's album only hunky dory fine and dandy ..... if it's available on 45 ... play it on 45 .

i was guilty of playing the Johnnie Taylor off album as it is the only US issue , but then of course i succumbed and bought the french ep about 18 months ago

Social source share

Oh Bugger. That's me told innit :yes:

"Believe half of what you see,

And none of what you hear" :thumbsup:

Lonely Town --3 Degrees ????

Yours Very Contritely

Tony

Dead right on that one Tony.

3 Degrees "Lonely Town" is LP only an old Bradford Queens Hall spin of mine circa 83 (yup, we were even playing LP tracks back in the 80's :lol: ).

Sean

Social source share

if it's album only hunky dory fine and dandy ..... if it's available on 45 ... play it on 45 .

i was guilty of playing the Johnnie Taylor off album as it is the only US issue , but then of course i succumbed and bought the french ep about 18 months ago

Sorry, I really don't follow.

Why is playing a French EP more 'legitimate' than playing a track off the original US LP?

I've got the original UK LP "Wanted One Soul Singer".

Its part of my complete Johnnie Taylor collection and I've had it for about 30 years.

It's a Mint copy of a world class / classic Soul album.

Do I need to get a French EP before I can play it out?

That's just Sheer Lunacy.

Just who is responsible for these ascenine and totally childish 'rules'?

Sean

Social source share

It does seem very in to go out with just a little 50 box of 7'' these days . :lol:

but I think DJ's are doing the public a disservice by not digging out LP tracks !!

Simon

Ah Right!

So this '45 only fetish' is a 'fashion' thing is it Simon?

Sort of a 'HotBox' thing huh?

That explains it.

Thought it must be a new 'fad' thing... cos it's never been a feature of any Soul Scene I've ever been involved in.

Firstly, Andy, I'd never work for a promoter that had such a small minded approach and if any punter thought he could dictate to me what format I choose to play during my alloted 60 minutes he or she would get my full 12" where the sun don't shine.

Thank F#CK I'm not influenced by other people's stupid fashions and that there's other sane folk on this thread, cos if LP tracks are no longer allowed to be played without being 'guilty' then the lunatics are finally in charge of the asylum.

What Idiotic nonsense!

I'm Guilty as Charged!

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

and as for Vinyl Carvers of LP tracks and 12'' edits ..Dear me?! :thumbsup: maybe its your mate Martin Sean ?

He does whatever he does Simon... as you well know.... but I don't think we'll be catching him taking his laptop out to a gig, this side of 2020!

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

i have always played album, tracks when dj'ng normally when only lp only but if i could not get the 45 it would not bother me to play the track from an lp. i think it is just laziness pople cant be mithered carring another bag along with the box.

i have a bout 20 albums that i carry with me that i play tracks off.

mark

Social source share

Ah Right!

So this '45 only fetish' is a 'fashion' thing is it Simon?

Sort of a 'HotBox' thing huh?

That explains it.

Thought it must be a new 'fad' thing... cos it's never been a feature of any Soul Scene I've ever been involved in.

Firstly, Andy, I'd never work for a promoter that had such a small minded approach and if any punter thought he could dictate to me what format I choose to play during my alloted 60 minutes he or she would get my full 12" where the sun don't shine.

Thank F#CK I'm not influenced by other people's stupid fashions and that there's other sane folk on this thread, cos if LP tracks are no longer allowed to be played without being 'guilty' then the lunatics are finally in charge of the asylum.

What Idiotic nonsense!

I'm Guilty as Charged!

:yes:

Sean

110% in agreement with you Sean on everything ... are the "45 police" also gonna tell us that we cant play 12'' issues of Lew Kirton or Skip Mahoney or Greg Perry as well ??? !!!!

And in the nicest possible way I totally disagree with Dundee Davie and Mik Parry , in that I will continue to proudly (and defiantly) play LPs in front of DJ's that have the 45 off the LP ...

In some cases the LP is RARER than the 45 , such as the Alex Brown LP on Sundi or the Topics or the Ultimates both on TSG ...

I always love to see the faces of broad minded soul fans (thankfully the majority!) when they see the brilliant covers of many of these LP's ...

Although it's somewhat of a myth that LP's have less "fidelity in sound" than 45's , in fact the opposite applies in many cases ...

And I have no problem at all lugging a full LP carry case around to gigs ... :lol:

Social source share

BOBBY WOMMACK SO MANY SIDES OF YOU BEVERLY GLENN PLAYED OF THE LP FIRST!

ULLANDA MCGULLOCH WARM AND GENTLE FEELING

LEON BRYANT MIGHTY BODY

WILLIAMS AND WATSON TAKIN NO CHANCES VOCAL TO SOUTH LIKE WEST

NOT FORGETTING TAMI TERRELL TEARS AT THE END OF A LOVE AFFAIR MOTOWN

MUST BE A RETRO MOD THING NOT TO PLAY LPS :thumbsup:

Social source share

He does whatever he does Simon... as you well know.... but I don't think we'll be catching him taking his laptop out to a gig, this side of 2020!

Well if you talking about something thats easy to carry" , plus increasing fidelity of low quality tracks its perfectly logical to use a nice Sony laptop and some Re-mastering software like Adobe Audition . There we go problem solved with just logic :thumbsup::lol::yes:

Social source share

At DKOF tonight I will be playing

I aint going Nowhere - Thelma Houston

Seek and you shall find - Marvin Gaye

Baby don't waste my time - GladysKnight

all album tracks...nowt wrong with em.

Spot on Paul.....

Not playing album tracks? Crazy!!!

Dysons Faces - welcome to all this love & til I get this feeling of love........

Smoke - so glad u came along - you will always be a part of me - now you're gone.....

Clyde Mcphatter - give me 1 more chance & anyone can tell

ohio players - love slipped through my fingers

sidney joe qualls - i don't do this

Rhetta Hughes - i cry myself to sleep

Gene Townsel

etc etc etc etc .............

Bejaysus!! Without album tracks that's half my playbox gone!! Still, many would say that's a good thing............ :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I agree Mik...Got most of my album only tracks vinyl carvered...It's bad enough keeping yer eye on 45's without lugging lp's around.

Same here. Got my album only stuff like Rhetta Hughes cut to 45 a long time ago.

Social source share

is it 'legit' to play 'this thing called love', but not 'I lost a true love' off the Danny Wagner LP. Cheap & cheerful. I bought a sealed copy a few months back for $10. cost more to ship the bugger!

& who thinks the imperial 45 of ILATL is overpriced lately? Is it that rare?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Sorry, I really don't follow.

Why is playing a French EP more 'legitimate' than playing a track off the original US LP?

:rolleyes:

I've got the original UK LP "Wanted One Soul Singer".

Its part of my complete Johnnie Taylor collection and I've had it for about 30 years.

It's a Mint copy of a world class / classic Soul album.

Do I need to get a French EP before I can play it out?

That's just Sheer Lunacy.

Just who is responsible for these ascenine and totally childish 'rules'?

Sean

i think the rules are in your head mate .... as a person you have your own beliefs and your own preferences , they are mine . easy as that .

you can believe there are "rules" if you wanna believe conspiricies , thats up to you .

and as for the comment about being lazy in not carrying another box , i spend a fair bit of time in airports and there is no way the 7" box is coming on as hand luggage and the albums going in the hold , whats the sense in that ??? so album tracks get carvered

Social source share

i think the rules are in your head mate .... as a person you have your own beliefs and your own preferences , they are mine . easy as that .

you can believe there are "rules" if you wanna believe conspiricies , thats up to you .

and as for the comment about being lazy in not carrying another box , i spend a fair bit of time in airports and there is no way the 7" box is coming on as hand luggage and the albums going in the hold , whats the sense in that ??? so album tracks get carvered

The Airport 7" box thing sounds very practical but the comment I replied to was that you said that you were 'guilty' of playing off an LP.

Why would you be guilty if there were no 'rules'?

What you're saying now though is that there are or should be no 'rules'.

In which case, I'm pleased to say that we agree.

Sean

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

The Airport 7" box thing sounds very practical but the comment I replied to was that you said that you were 'guilty' of playing off an LP.

Why would you be guilty if there were no 'rules'?

What you're saying now though is that there are or should be no 'rules'.

In which case, I'm pleased to say that we agree.

Sean

personal preference ... also however the preference of most of the people i know and Dj with and the club i co-run :rolleyes:

i'll give an example .... there is a track mik parry plays that i love at the mo , i could get it on album but it is available on what seems to be a very rare 45, i won't buy the album because that would be dis-respectful to mik who put in the effort to find it .

Davie

Social source share

personal preference ... also however the preference of most of the people i know and Dj with and the club i co-run :thumbsup:

i'll give an example .... there is a track mik parry plays that i love at the mo , i could get it on album but it is available on what seems to be a very rare 45, i won't buy the album because that would be dis-respectful to mik who put in the effort to find it .

Davie

Interesting.

In what way would it be disrespectful to anyone to play a more readily available track off an album that's in the public domain? Would it not be advantageous to own it anyway and DJ with it, at least when Mik Parry is not on at the same venue?

Aren't Soul DJ's supposed to promote Soul Music?

If the record's good, why not play it?

Surely it would benefit everyone if you were to play it, regardless of format (the punters, the artist... and even the DJ with the 45).

After all, Mik Parry still has his seemingly rare 45.

What's the track, by the way?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Interesting.

In what way would it be disrespectful to anyone to play a more readily available track off an album that's in the public domain? Would it not be advantageous to own it anyway and DJ with it, at least when Mik Parry is not on at the same venue?

Aren't Soul DJ's supposed to promote Soul Music?

If the record's good, why not play it?

Surely it would benefit everyone if you were to play it, regardless of format (the punters, the artist... and even the DJ with the 45).

After all, Mik Parry still has his seemingly rare 45.

What's the track, by the way?

i have a feeling if i have to explain it , then you wouldn't get it ...and that's fine . i know what i mean and as i say most of the people i dj with do too

personal preferences , don't worry about it

Social source share

i have a feeling if i have to explain it , then you wouldn't get it ...and that's fine . i know what i mean and as i say most of the people i dj with do too

personal preferences , don't worry about it

Well, I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent and also quite a patient person, so I'd be willing to try and grapple with the complexities of this scenario if someone would be gracious enough to attempt to explain the thinking behind the non-promotion of a good Soul record to me.

I'd ask the people that I tend to DJ with (at Soul Essence, Without Boundaries etc)... although I feel that they might also find it difficult to grasp the concept.

But, I certainly won't lose sleep over it, that's for sure. It merely confirms to me how strange (and totally banal) some segments of the UK Soul scene have become in recent times.

What was the track by the way?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Well, I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent and also quite a patient person, so I'd be willing to try and grapple with the complexities of this scenario if someone would be gracious enough to attempt to explain the thinking behind the non-promotion of a good Soul record to me.

I'd ask the people that I tend to DJ with (at Soul Essence, Without Boundaries etc)... although I feel that they might also find it difficult to grasp the concept.

But, I certainly won't lose sleep over it, that's for sure. It merely confirms to me how strange (and totally banal) some segments of the UK Soul scene have become in recent times.

What was the track by the way?

someone takes time and energy and a significant amount of money on a 45 and someone else on a small scene takes little time or money and buys an album to play out .....thats just plain insulting to the person who has spent the time , energy amd money .

not that tough a concept to grapple with , it's a matter of respect and principles

can't comment on the venues mentioned , not the kind of event i attend :thumbsup:

Social source share

wasn't bobby hutton first played off an album? 'a piece of the action'... I had that album. woe is me...

Yes, there was no US 45 of "Lend A Hand".

Would be interested to know what some might think of a DJ playing the UK 45... or would a DJ be 'obliged' to play the original US LP?

Curious.

Sean

Social source share

Blimey, there I was sitting on the lavvy reading an old issue of Soulin only yesterday, Tank is this really you, can you get me Lord Lucan's autograph when you next see him......Sorry chaps I digress, for the past 37 yrs Iv collected albums and have played them out on more occasions than I would care to remember, only twice have I been taken to task by the type of knuckle dragger you just know wouldnt understand.Personaly I couldnt do without them.

cheers

Gouch

Social source share

someone takes time and energy and a significant amount of money on a 45 and someone else on a small scene takes little time or money and buys an album to play out .....thats just plain insulting to the person who has spent the time , energy amd money .

not that tough a concept to grapple with , it's a matter of respect and principles

can't comment on the venues mentioned , not the kind of event i attend :thumbsup:

Ah!

So a person who invests the time, energy and money in finding a rare 45 not only owns the 45 but he (or she) also obtains an exclusive license to the track, prohibiting anyone else in the world from playing it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Fascinating.

As per your last comment, Apologies.

I thought we were referring to soul venues.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert