Dancing Dj's

Paul-s

Having been on this scene for nearay 30 years, I would just like to see what peoples opinions are on dj's and dancing. I myself have often heard tunes and thought 'f--k me' how do you dance to that. Then when i've looked to see who's playing it, it's a non-dancing dj. I, personally, only play tunes that inspire ME to dance and hope that others feel the same way! But, I often look up at the decks to see one or, at some venues, ten! people standing around looking at the record admiringly....BUT it does'nt seem to infiltrate their bodies! Im not saying its a pre-requisite of dj'ing, but its an interesting point! yes.gif

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Having been on this scene for nearay 30 years, I would just like to see what peoples opinions are on dj's and dancing. I myself have often heard tunes and thought 'f--k me' how do you dance to that. Then when i've looked to see who's playing it, it's a non-dancing dj. I, personally, only play tunes that inspire ME to dance and hope that others feel the same way! But, I often look up at the decks to see one or, at some venues, ten! people standing around looking at the record admiringly....BUT it does'nt seem to infiltrate their bodies! Im not saying its a pre-requisite of dj'ing, but its an interesting point! :(

Good point, if you go to Stoke you'll see Sean Chapman actually dancing to his own records

(so do the rest of the punters BTW). I have been to some NS venues (especially in the London

area) where DJ's had their backs to the dancefloor while they trawled thru their ever so rare

and valuable records to play. I guess it's not really that important if the DJ dances, the real

issue is, are the money paying punters out on the floor enjoying themselves?

Chris L

Social source share

I have been known in the past to leave the decks and scoot to dancefloor as i just couldnt stop myself dancing to the track... :D ..bit scary when you realise the track is coming to an end and your fleasing back to the decks through your records and tryin to line one up before the last one ends...

Paul if your lookin tips to dance to any particular tracks just give me a pM! :lol::lol::D:P:(

L

Social source share

I agree, northern is about dancing and the music running through your body, it means you feel the soul. If you don't feel the soul, then its not very soulful is it?? Whether its uptempo, midtempo or beat ballad or tight, lose or messy, the arrangement and rythym has to move you. So if it doesn't, does that mean the disc isn't northern or is the ear just not getting it? I think conessouir types do generally have a well developed ear for northern but as you say, some discs just leave me cold at times! Goes onto another point.. if you got soul, then whether it be a known tune or an unknown tune, shouldn't really make a difference, thats if you get it, that is. Right?

Guess I better run for the hills now and hide!!! :(

Yep i agree, i can listen (prefer to listen) to unknown tunes to myself all night as long as there making me hit the dancefloor...no better feelin...

Social source share

whether a DJ dances or not shouldn't matter as long as the DJ is doing the business.

True, as long as she/he is playing top tunes and the floor is full then all is good... though it may or may not be the case that a dj who likes to dance can get the dancers on the floor and keep them there as they themselves know what they would love to hear when out on the floor so are in a better position to guage which tunes to play next etc........... just a thought...

Social source share

True, as long as she/he is playing top tunes and the floor is full then all is good... though it may or may not be the case that a dj who likes to dance can get the dancers on the floor and keep them there as they themselves know what they would love to hear when out on the floor so are in a better position to guage which tunes to play next etc........... just a thought...

if you can't gauge what the dancers want and adjust your set accordingly then you shouldn't be djing. Thats not to say you have to take the "safe" option either as too many IMHO so called DJ's seem to do.

Social source share

I guess it's not really that important if the DJ dances, the real

issue is, are the money paying punters out on the floor enjoying themselves?

Chris L

That is true Chris...and also that if there's 100 people in and only 10 dancing, it doesn't mean that the other 90 aren't enjoying the music

Social source share

Oooh Paul... not going anywhere at the weekend isn't good for you!

All I can say is I'm glad this isn't in my section :(

One thing that has had me thinking for ages though... is why... as a rule... don't DJ's dance?

Did they dance before they became 'DJ's'?

... and if so... why don't they dance now?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Oooh Paul... not going anywhere at the weekend isn't good for you!

All I can say is I'm glad this isn't in my section :D

One thing that has had me thinking for ages though... is why... as a rule... don't DJ's dance?

Did they dance before they became 'DJ's'?

... and if so... why don't they dance now?

very good points Joan,

its the DJs that show no emotion what so ever when DJing that really baffle me, no smiles no movement no singing along and just standing there :P

Its called SOUL music for a reason aint it, it reaches in and grabs your soul and makes you want to at least smile :lol:

Does this mean that the said DJs aint really soulies but imposters looking for stardom :(

Social source share

At the Hitsville Weekender in 3 weeks, there will be a constant stream of "DJs" leaping between dancefloor and Technics. It what we buy the bleedin' records for innit? :lol::D

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

To right it is Dave. :(

When I've got a few I'm thinking of buying I bundle them together on your Soulclub jukebox and play 'em - the ones I find myself dancin' to are the ones I buy. :lol:

Cheers mate for providing an invaluable service :P

Social source share

Thinking about it, was it more pronounced years ago?. You didn't see the "Top" Jocks at allnighters dancing. By that, I don't include people Like Dave evison, who was a fan that played oldies. The dancing DJs were generally the people who put on Local soul nights in pub back rooms & working mens clubs.

paul

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Having been on this scene for nearay 30 years, I would just like to see what peoples opinions are on dj's and dancing. I myself have often heard tunes and thought 'f--k me' how do you dance to that. Then when i've looked to see who's playing it, it's a non-dancing dj. I, personally, only play tunes that inspire ME to dance and hope that others feel the same way! But, I often look up at the decks to see one or, at some venues, ten! people standing around looking at the record admiringly....BUT it does'nt seem to infiltrate their bodies! Im not saying its a pre-requisite of dj'ing, but its an interesting point! :(

DJ's that dance a lot themselves tend to play the most danceable sets. Two examples that spring to mind: Keb Darge and Eduardo Domingo from Barcelona. Not to mention Irish Pip who plays proper dancefloor Soul.

There is the odd DJ that plays too many beat ballads in a set. I love beat ballads but think they should be reserved only for enders. They can really bring the energy of an allnighter down IMO.

Social source share

From a DJ point just enjoy yourself I always do :no: A DJ I admire and used to love to watch and listen to is the late Derek Allen.

Me too, he always had a huge grin on his face when he did it , sung along to everyone too, with real passion as it should be. Never seen anyone like it since. RIP Derek we still miss ya. x

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

THE BEST DJ`S,ARE DANCERS.AND THE BEST DANCERS, ARE DJ`S...... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. :(

Name some to prove your theory?

Some of my favourite DJs are Cliff Steele, Dave Welding, Carl Fortnum, John Weston and Dave Rimmer. I can't say i've ever seen any of them dance and personally i don't care if they do or not as long as they keep spinning the quality they usually come up with :no:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Some of my favourite DJs are Cliff Steele, Dave Welding, Carl Fortnum, John Weston and Dave Rimmer. I can't say i've ever seen any of them dance and personally i don't care if they do or not as long as they keep spinning the quality they usually come up with :no:

==============

Andy Rix :(

Social source share

You can see Carl F dancing to Bobbie Smith on the Leicester 2nd aniversary video from 1984

Social source share

I have seen Dave Rimmer dance at the Belfast Soul Weekender last year im sure (and he was pretty good as well!!!)

Little plug while im on, Belfast Soul Weekender this October!! Guy Hennigan, Dave Rimmer, Chic, Danny Duggan, Chris Morgan + many more!!! get yourselves over as its a fookin top weeekend... :(

Social source share

Best Two D.J.'s on the scene ever (in my own opinion) Butch & Richard Searling....... can't remember them dancing, didn't care if they did or didn't! D.J.'s that Dance making better D.J.'s, it's F***ing irrelevant, and always has been. D.J.'s - Concentrate on getting some dynamite new tunes, not on your dance moves......that's your job.

Des Parker

Social source share

Thanks Matt,

I do dance occasionally, but in all honesty haven't danced really for years because if I spend the night dancing, I have real trouble walking the next day. :D

Johnny Weston is a regular dancer though, and you must have just not been on the same dancefloors. I'm pretty sure I've seen Cliff and Carl dancing, but not often, and have to admit I don't think I've ever seen Dave Welding dance.

I do think it's essential for a DJ to have a sense of rhythm, and to understand what makes people want to dance, but it's not essential for a DJ to actually be a dancer. Remember being a dancer doesn't bestow anything special except a sweaty shirt, and I've seen some pretty awful dancers who DJ. :(

Social source share

Do dj's who dance behind the decks count :no:

YES they do....my point was, I often see people djing and the record has'nt even entered their own body...they just stand there...not even a foot tap!! Surely a record should MOVE you in some way. Guess they are the internal types! :(

Social source share

Some of my favourite DJs are Cliff Steele, Dave Welding, Carl Fortnum, John Weston and Dave Rimmer. I can't say i've ever seen any of them dance and personally i don't care if they do or not as long as they keep spinning the quality they usually come up with :thumbsup:

JOHN WESTON...Fookin hell mate. He's never off the floor!! Thats why he IS one of my favourite dj's. When you book people like John, they bring more than JUST A BOX OF TUNES to a night. They bring 'soul' and the desire to party and have a good time. Not stand around, pontificating and looking bored!! :yes:

Social source share

Best Two D.J.'s on the scene ever (in my own opinion) Butch & Richard Searling....... can't remember them dancing, didn't care if they did or didn't! D.J.'s that Dance making better D.J.'s, it's F***ing irrelevant, and always has been. D.J.'s - Concentrate on getting some dynamite new tunes, not on your dance moves......that's your job.

Des Parker

Ive seen Butch dance and he's a v good dancer too!! how about getting dynamite tunes and because you dance yourself and those tunes make 'your' feet move...........everyone else will follow!? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have seen Dave Rimmer dance at the Belfast Soul Weekender last year im sure (and he was pretty good as well!!!)

Little plug while im on, Belfast Soul Weekender this October!! Guy Hennigan, Dave Rimmer, Chic, Danny Duggan, Chris Morgan + many more!!! get yourselves over as its a fookin top weeekend... :thumbsup:

Chic and Chris Morgan....great dancers and great dj's!! Mr Hennigan is a good mover aswell! And he's dug up a few tunes... :yes:

Social source share

Who actually cares if a DJ dances or not?

As long as they play boss tunes and whip up a strom.

Not all people like to dance or feel comfatable dancing.

Any examples of non dancing DJs that fit the bill?

Social source share

good point BAZ:::plenty good djs who play great tunes but aint the dancing types,they all get soul in their own little way::plain and simple::::

You would think so wouldn't you.

But could you stand... or sit there... showing absolutely no emotion what so ever for 8 hours?

I very much doubt it my friend.

Some might as well be in a launderette they look that bored!

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

But could you stand... or sit there... showing absolutely no emotion what so ever for 8 hours?

Joan..I'm not great at jumping...so not only do I dance to my tunes...I sing the words and am proficient in pretending to play the saxophone..piano..air guitar..and the whole bloody string section if needed. :thumbsup:

I couldn't play a tune that didn't give me an ear to ear grin.

Linda

Social source share

they all get soul in their own little way::plain and simple::::

ALL.....I dont think so.....some look bored sh....tless with their own spots! :yes:

Some, even leave the event as soon as they have done their spot. That doesn't tell me that they are enjoying the night. :thumbsup:

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

Some of my favourite DJs are Cliff Steele, Dave Welding, Carl Fortnum, John Weston and Dave Rimmer. I can't say i've ever seen any of them dance and personally i don't care if they do or not as long as they keep spinning the quality they usually come up with :huh:

EASY MATE......KARL HEARD,GEOFF RUDD,KEV FEARNHEAD,KEV JOHNSON......AND SO ON,THERE`S FOOKIN`LOADS PAL.

Social source share

no i could not Joan but i know quite a few folk who may look pretty bored but they are having a great time::some just do it their own way;;;

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
Having been on this scene for nearay 30 years, I would just like to see what peoples opinions are on dj's and dancing. I myself have often heard tunes and thought 'f--k me' how do you dance to that. Then when i've looked to see who's playing it, it's a non-dancing dj. I, personally, only play tunes that inspire ME to dance and hope that others feel the same way! But, I often look up at the decks to see one or, at some venues, ten! people standing around looking at the record admiringly....BUT it does'nt seem to infiltrate their bodies! Im not saying its a pre-requisite of dj'ing, but its an interesting point! :huh:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert