Irish Tamla Motown Releases

Craig W

Jusy dug out and played (Loneliness made me realize) I'ts you that I need b/w I want a love I can see on Irish Tamla Motown TMG(I) 633 (great double sider by the way) and just wondered if the whole Motown catalogue was released over there , are they rarer and what is there value compared with the English releases.

Anyone got any info.

Thanks

Edited by craig W
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Jusy dug out and played (Loneliness made me realize) I'ts you that I need b/w I want a love I can see on Irish Tamla Motown TMG(I) 633 (great double sider by the way) and just wondered if the whole Motown catalogue was released over there , are they rarer and what is there value compared with the English releases.

Anyone got any info.

Thanks

Very good question, in the early 70s I had a minor hit of EIRE Tamla Motown's loads of 500s but the real good ones weren't there ie Kim Weston's, Brenda Holloway's etc. It was mostly the Motown major artists titles. I've personally never seen the "goodies" on EIRE which led me to believe maybe EMI pressed the ones that were takin' off in the UK.

I could be proved wrong and I hope I am. But the "hit" was from a Dublin store all MINT, about 150 peices, between 500 and 750 number but none of the real rare ones, maybe they only ordered the ones they "knew".

Has anyone seen or had some of the valuable TMG's on EIRE press. I've not..

Social source share

I could be proved wrong and I hope I am. But the "hit" was from a Dublin store all MINT, about 150 peices, between 500 and 750 number but none of the real rare ones, maybe they only ordered the ones they "knew".

Has anyone seen or had some of the valuable TMG's on EIRE press. I've not..

No never seen the 'valuable' TMGs and suspect - as you say - that they may have been manufactured by EMI in UK

and exported to Ireland, where different import/export regulations were in place.

Here's another Irish/Tamla mystery. An Irish-rebel folk group called The Abbey Tavern singers became a novely hit in Canada, and

signed to Arc, Gordy bought the US rights and according to VIP release sheets brought out an album on the band, which included several republican rebel songs?

Kevin New on Soul Source has tracked down the Canadian releases for me, but I have never seen a VIP copy of the Abbey Tavern Singers. Did it get released? And if so was Berry Gordy inadvertently supporting the IRA?

Social source share

No never seen the 'valuable' TMGs and suspect - as you say - that they may have been manufactured by EMI in UK

and exported to Ireland, where different import/export regulations were in place.

Here's another Irish/Tamla mystery. An Irish-rebel folk group called The Abbey Tavern singers became a novely hit in Canada, and

signed to Arc, Gordy bought the US rights and according to VIP release sheets brought out an album on the band, which included several republican rebel songs?

Kevin New on Soul Source has tracked down the Canadian releases for me, but I have never seen a VIP copy of the Abbey Tavern Singers. Did it get released? And if so was Berry Gordy inadvertently supporting the IRA?

The Abbey Tavern singers on VIP anothner great question, I've never had a copy. But I will start asking..I know a few Motown compleatists.

Social source share

The Abbey Tavern singers on VIP anothner great question, I've never had a copy. But I will start asking..I know a few Motown compleatists.

Saw a copy on eBay about five years ago but didn't bid on it... went for something like $20 in the end.

One of the singles from the album came out on the HBR label.

post-1281-1187529924_thumb.jpg

post-1281-1187530011_thumb.jpg

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Saw a copy on eBay about five years ago but didn't bid on it... went for something like $20 in the end.

I'm going mad!

I've got a copy of this, when I bought the postman's collection from Northampton (what was his name?) he had every wierd thing going, that was related to Motown. Now all I gotta do is find it. Thanks for the scan, I recognise it and now I know what I'm looking for....

Social source share

I've a few Irish TMG's.

Just grabbed these out of the box...

Temptations - Aint To Proud To Beg TMG699

Temptations - Ball Of Confusion TMG749

Temptations - It's Summer TMG783

Temptations - That's The Way Love Is TMG741

Temptations - Smooth Sailing TMG808

Temptations - Superstar TMG800

Temptations - I Could Never Love Another TMG658

Four Tops - So Deep Within You TMG850

Stevie Wonder - Every Time I See You I Go Wild TMG626

Stevie Wonder - If You really Love Me TMG798

Also have The Contours - Just a Little Misunderstanding

Four Tops - Since You've Been Gone and others (that I can't recall)... but can't help thinking there's a Brenda Holloway "Where Were You" in there somewhere.

Agree that EMI (Ireland) Ltd will have cherry picked the best sellers, but I still reckon that there were at least 300 releases... and they won't all have been chart toppers, so I guess there'll be a few juicy items if you look for 'em!

Had loads of great stuff out of Dublin over the years. Apart from scores of unusual Irish releases (Esther Philips on Polydor etc) I once hit a shop full of imports at a quid each with loads of nice US Philly and Epic releases, Anthony White "Hey Baby", Betty Lavette "You Made a Believer" etc.

A wonderful place!

Saoirse!

Social source share

Ha!

My dad bought that album as a new release Joe.

I was brought up with the "Off To Dublin In The Green" tune and know every word of it to this day!

Top Tune!

biggrin.gif

ph34r.gif

Social source share

I was in Dublin this year and found a lot of Irish TMG's but unfotunately not in god condition. I did see a Tony Martin but it really wasnt worth buying. The only one I did buy was Isleys - I Guess Ill Always Love You and also a handful of UK reggae things for a couple of Euro each . If anyone else is there the stall was a market stall in a covered market place linking a couple of main streets in the city centre and there was another store in there with a box of Northern but mainly re-issues.

Tha Abbey Tavern 45 also came out on Arc in Canada with a Pic Sleeve.

Social source share

think I have the lp (I was a prolific Motown LP collector :( ), though I've never played it. The Abbey Tavern is still going strong, and the Singers do their thing on a nightly basis for tourists who can bare an hour long trip north from Dublin.....though when I was there last year we made sure there were no anti Brit songs :P - all their material these days is "boy likes the girl he can't have" Irish folk fare. A couple of the band looked old enough to be on the VIP LP. Big tourist thing the Abbey Tavern but the Guiness they serve is GOOD.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Ireland was never the easiest place to pick up soul 45's. I did pick up MARGIE JOSEPH- I CANT MOVE NO MOUNTAIN- ATLANTIC (US) and ODDS AND ENDS- LET ME TRY (TODAY) for £4 in total a few years back. Nice bargains on two quality tunes. The shop selling them new nothing much about Soul.

That Ray Merell of Tears of Joy was Irish.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert