New And Contemporary Soul

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

Anybody listen to NU Soul? (I dont mean commercial R&cool.gif. There are some genuinely soulful artists recording during the last decade. To name just a few; Leidisi, Angie Stone, Jill Scott, Drizabone, Sounds of Blackness.

Soul Brother Records in London have released some great compilations of New Soul as well as individual artists. Their Organic Soul series as well as This is Soul are exemplary.

Also, some Soulful House is good, although much of it is repetitve IMO. However, producers such as Masters at Work, Dennis Ferrer and Kerri Chandler have released some very soulful tunes.

What the rest of you think?

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest skorpiano

Anybody listen to NU Soul? (I dont mean commercial R&cool.gif. There are some genuinely soulful artists recording during the last decade. To name just a few; Leidisi, Angie Stone, Jill Scott, Drizabone, Sounds of Blackness.

Soul Brother Records in London have released some great compilations of New Soul as well as individual artists. Their Organic Soul series as well as This is Soul are exemplary.

Also, some Soulful House is good, although much of it is repetitve IMO. However, producers such as Masters at Work, Dennis Ferrer and Kerri Chandler have released some very soulful tunes.

Rubish!

Social source share

We had Angie Stone on in the car t'other week. Got the Drizabone, Sounds Of Blackness. Another couple of good ones from around that time are Solo and Jesse Graham.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

...What the rest of you think?

Hello,

There's always something soulful out there somewhere.

I'm obviously biased but I genuinely recommend our Selecta singles by Bobby Hutton, Simone De and Sheba Potts-Wright. All are great songs with a classic soul feel and I'm pleased to say they've all had good support and have sold very well.

For more info go to SELECTA RECORDS LTD

By the way, I just did the sync and master deals to place the Bobby Hutton song "Twenty Years Later" (and others) in a new movie which is now in post-production and will get a cinema release early next year.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Millbrand Music

Social source share

Awesome mate............it's just one big ever evolving soul adventure for me...........has been for years and long may it continue.

Tunes going round in my head this week.................Funk La Planet "Summertime" and......................Richard Anthony "Keep On Living On".....it's all good to these ears!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Ive got all he Organic releases Andy, absolute cracking compilations. I collect soulful house also.

Soul Brother records is my favorite record shop & the guys are great to deal with, nothing is to much trouble.

Soul is a feeling not a date stamp.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Awesome mate............it's just one big ever evolving soul adventure for me...........has been for years and long may it continue.

Tunes going round in my head this week.................Funk La Planet "Summertime" and......................Richard Anthony "Keep On Living On".....it's all good to these ears!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Hi Mark. I really enjoyed your sets at Cleethorpes in the Modern Room. Great vibe in there most of the weekend thumbsup.gif

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

Hi Mark. I really enjoyed your sets at Cleethorpes in the Modern Room. Great vibe in their most of the weekend thumbsup.gif

Cheers Andy............much appreciated. Some of you guys on here should come and say hello at Clegg, I don't know as many of you on here as I do on EMS forum, so help me put some faces to the names. :P

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

There are some genuinely soulful artists recording during the last decade.

Agree Andy,

Fact is, there are some genuinely soulful artists recording in every decade (60's to present day) except that in recent years we've had to search harder to find the real deal.

Worth the effort though when you come across something Soulful... and fresh!

Would certainly reccommend the recent albums from...

Valarie Adams

Ruby Baker

April Hill

Onyx1

Kendra Ross

Anthony Hamilton

Theryl

Sharon Jones

and a real left fielder from 'Fried'... which is superb!

Here these... and more... at Without Boundaries next Sunday!

(A blatant plug for Contemporary Soul!)

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

From those you mentioned the forthcoming Ledisi album Lost and Found is without doubt a contender for album of the year 2007 ..timeless,classic quality from a 'contemporary' soul diva..perfection :-)

Lin

Social source share

The CD by Onyx1 is most definitely one the strongest soul sets this year. You can purchase it from www.cdbaby.com and other places. The group has been around for a long time, first recorded as Onyx, but now as they make their grand comeback they have to call themselves Onyx1, to avoid confusion with brutal hip-hop act Onyx! I think a couple of members of Onyx1 used to be in vocal group Natural Four (ABC, Curtom) back in the day.

However, there are also many other nice soul releases out, many of which have already been mentioned on this forum - and in this thread.

Melismo

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Must give a mention to Butch Williams "Keep on loving me thae way you do" from his new album - Dave Thorley can sell it to you - excellent!

This is Northern Soul 2007 eh!

just for something different might give this a spin on The Juice on Solar next Monday when I'm on.

Social source share

I listened to Roger Williams' last show yesterday on Solar and have to say .....It's been a while since I endured such blandness of music for such a long time. This is not a poke at Roger, I'm sure he's a well respected DJ etc, but the music itself left me cold. One track sounded just like another. Sorry , but if this is the stuff being punted as "modern" then count me out I'm afraid. It might be black....but a lot of it was like listening to a lounge singer in a hotel bar. Sort of there...but inconsequential.

You did ask Andy and at least I've made an effort to listen to it eh?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

If by new and contemporary soul you mean music recorded outside of the 60's, no, not too keen really

:lol:

Just heard a report that the Pope might be a little tiny bit Roman Catholic too ! :lol:

Sorry not my cup of tea either, as Dave said, it all tends to sound the same.

But then that is what my family say about Northern in general, so i guess it's whatever floats your boat.

Social source share

:lol:

Just heard a report that the Pope might be a little tiny bit Roman Catholic too ! :shades:

Sorry not my cup of tea either, as Dave said, it all tends to sound the same.

But then that is what my family say about Northern in general, so i guess it's whatever floats your boat.

I was trying a new tactic Bogue, being diplomatic :lol:

Social source share

Well done Dave Moore for at least taking a listen to it on Rogers show.

I find a lot of so called 'Modern Soul' leaves me cold too.

But there's some awesome REAL soul still being recorded out there... and in 10+ years or so there'll be a helluva lot of 'Northern' fans trying to find 'em.

I've always found it an interesting phenomena - it's as if many Northern fans really struggle to hit a moving target... and can only get their eye (or ear) in once the dust has settled!

Meanwhile... I'm tracking em down, loving 'em... and stockpiling 'em up towards me pension!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Is the 2007 Ian Levine albumn NU SOUL? ------------------Joking.

Whats up with commercial R&B ? If you mean acts like Mary J Blige, I love it.....

As an interesting point, about 15 years ago I started to tape Robbie Vincent on his Sunday night show for a few months. At the time I was not all that keen on about 50% of the records played, but now when I replay them every so often in actual fact there is not much that I dont like.

Maybe as with Northern Soul, a few years have to pass by before the new records get fully appreciated, and by which time the artists have gone back to the day job because they could not sell enough records.

Ed

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I listened to Roger Williams' last show yesterday on Solar and have to say .....It's been a while since I endured such blandness of music for such a long time. This is not a poke at Roger, I'm sure he's a well respected DJ etc, but the music itself left me cold. One track sounded just like another. Sorry , but if this is the stuff being punted as "modern" then count me out I'm afraid. It might be black....but a lot of it was like listening to a lounge singer in a hotel bar. Sort of there...but inconsequential.

You did ask Andy and at least I've made an effort to listen to it eh?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Different strokes for different folks. It would be a boring old world if we all agreed on everything. While there is a lot of quality new soul,I still think the 6t's/7t's produced much more quality records than today. You really have to hunt down the quality stuff that comes out nowadays.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert