Selling Pressings

Blake H

I have a couple of hundred pressings to get rid of and I'm slightly confused :thumbup: having looked at dealers web sites & Ebay it seems OK to call them reissues or old skool pressings but they are still bootlegs, ie illegal copies of genuine records.

Have we turned a blind eye to boots these days? I guess I'm just trying to test the water of opinion on this as I feel a bit of a hypocrite, but with boots like Mikki Farrow and Rufus Woods commanding upwards of £50 my consience is wavering.

I just wondered what you think where boots are concerned, I dont buy them myself (well not for 25 years) but have come into possesion of quite a few.

Thanks for looking

Blake

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have a couple of hundred pressings to get rid of and I'm slightly confused :thumbup: having looked at dealers web sites & Ebay it seems OK to call them reissues or old skool pressings but they are still bootlegs, ie illegal copies of genuine records.

Have we turned a blind eye to boots these days? I guess I'm just trying to test the water of opinion on this as I feel a bit of a hypocrite, but with boots like Mikki Farrow and Rufus Woods commanding upwards of £50 my consience is wavering.

I just wondered what you think where boots are concerned, I dont buy them myself (well not for 25 years) but have come into possesion of quite a few.

Thanks for looking

Blake

Supply & demand Blake. If you advertise them completely honestly (which we all know you would) then it's the buyer who will pay what they are worth to him/her. It's the people who mislead or try to sneak them out when they know the score that are out of order. Who's to say what the market rate is for anything from a pressing to a tin of beans? Plus I've got to admit to being a bit p**sed off at having taken the 'moral' standpoint (like you are wavering with) in the past only to see pressings/boots/(or whatever people want to call them nowadays) I've let go for a couple of spondoolicks literally re-banged in a sales box at daft quid (with the buyer looking at me thinking 'MUG'!!!!).

Go for it m8. Get what you can for them, while you can.

Steve (p.s. good to see you last week!)

Social source share

Supply & demand Blake. If you advertise them completely honestly (which we all know you would) then it's the buyer who will pay what they are worth to him/her. It's the people who mislead or try to sneak them out when they know the score that are out of order. Who's to say what the market rate is for anything from a pressing to a tin of beans? Plus I've got to admit to being a bit p**sed off at having taken the 'moral' standpoint (like you are wavering with) in the past only to see pressings/boots/(or whatever people want to call them nowadays) I've let go for a couple of spondoolicks literally re-banged in a sales box at daft quid (with the buyer looking at me thinking 'MUG'!!!!).

Go for it m8. Get what you can for them, while you can.

Steve (p.s. good to see you last week!)

Agree 100% as long as your honest then it's the buyers who decide what they are willing to pay. Call them pressings on eBay as if you call them bootlegs then eBay might pull the auctions.

Or for a fair price just flog them all to me :thumbup:

Social source share

most of them are worth £2/£5 at best in my book but some are starting to command decent money !

I recently bought the WDJ boot of baby don't you weep for a fiver at a soul night, on ebay the next morning it fetched £32, boots of Eddie Parker - I,m gone i bet will fetch good money on ebay now that an original has sold in public view for a decent amount !!!

Supply and demand still in force on bootlegs even today !!

Ian.

Social source share

most of them are worth £2/£5 at best in my book but some are starting to command decent money !

I recently bought the WDJ boot of baby don't you weep for a fiver at a soul night, on ebay the next morning it fetched £32, boots of Eddie Parker - I,m gone i bet will fetch good money on ebay now that an original has sold in public view for a decent amount !!!

Ian.

Social source share

Ian.

OOPS A little to eager on the last post

Agree with last post,certainly a demand there, collecting is worldwide now, and if people either cannot obtain originals or there budget doesnt stretch to some of the more pricey choons, then the old 70ts boots are to them, the next best thing

I dont have prblem flogging the old pressings, in there own sort of way they have helped with increasing the amount of collectors out there

And when I started collecting at 15, I couldnt afford much mor than yer 25p or 50p pressings, it was the only way I could be able to hear my fave choons at that time, till i started work, then began obtaining the originals of all the boots I had bought, being honest on what your selling, is very important, as previously stated

no need to try and fool anyone, the more desireable boots should on most occasions reach there fairly high prices, and thats not any one fault if people want to pay those prices, its there choice

Edited by moggy
Social source share

anyone paying more than the cost of a vinyl carvers for a bootleg needs their head checking out

if you use bootleg then ebay usually pull the auction though thats why 2nd issue reissue etc are used

if you want to make more put a link to soulclub for the files so people can here them and also hype up the info with things like classic stomper or original is worth £300 etc and watch them go silly

sold 2 barbar mcnairs for 30 each and once got 42 pounds for a judy street lookalike.

if peolpe are too tight to buy a guide for a tenner or ask on here then its not sellers fault

Social source share

Remember bootlegs cover every aspect of vinyl collecting not just Northern Soul. Some Doo-Wop boots now also command reasonable prices as do Rockabilly etc. Some boots are rare.

The old school classic ones where a little care was taken with the mastering and the labels look good or are copies of the original are all £10+ now.

The 70s boots are becoming collectable.. and Soul Sounds 60s bootlegs are highly sought after. I find them fascinating..

Those £10 new bootlegs that sound like crap.. need throwing in the bin or reducing to a price that reflects the quality..ie Laura Green - Moonlight music in you - with NO slow intro..

Social source share

Thanks for looking

Blake

A re-issue, bootleg, pressing call it what you will, went for £200 this week, guy advertised it as such

and there were people enough to bid and buy. Those 70T's Alexander Pattons were going for 30 - 40 quid

a few years ago, so yes it's part of the scene, besides who would you report it to ?

Social source share

Thanks for looking

Blake

hi blake longy here how you doin i think some buy em to dj with especially at oldies events any way ive seen em at it but i think thats why they'll pay so much for em :thumbup:

Social source share

was told recently a guy paid £200 for the WDJ End boot of Lenny Curtis, anyone else hear this ??

what is it really worth as a 70's bootleg and when did you last see one ? (didn't they play with hiss all through ?)

Ian.

I've never heard one with a hiss and I've had loads of them. Wouldn't pay more than £10 or ask more than £15 for it though.

Social source share

Saw a Salvadors pressing clearly described as such go for £102 last week :ph34r:

It takes all sorts I suppose - was tempted to put mine on ebay, I think I would if I could guarantee getting that for it!

Was that the really good lookalike one though with the greenish label? I've never seen that come up for sale before and it looks just like the original (unless examined close up) so in this instance I can understand the price, but I don't think anyone should be paying more than £20 bfor the dark blue Salvadors pressing, however great a record it is

Social source share

Was that the really good lookalike one though with the greenish label? I've never seen that come up for sale before and it looks just like the original (unless examined close up) so in this instance I can understand the price, but I don't think anyone should be paying more than £20 bfor the dark blue Salvadors pressing, however great a record it is

Yes it was Pete, still as much of a bootleg as the dark blue one though?

Social source share

I sold most of my vinyl last year, and it consited of records mainly bought from the early to late 70s. Some pressing went to silly prices, like my dark blue Salvadors for £62. which was more than an original Moses smith, or UK demo of the Tiffanies. very strange at times.

In answer to your question, If your morals deplore the selling of bootlegs then destroy them. If you think they are only worth a couple of quid, then as 2nd issues put them on ebay as buy it now. IF you need cash and want to offer them to people who may want to buy them, just ebay them with a picture and describe them as 2nd issues. generally punters will then knbow what they are buying.

I sold a Youngblood Smith "Walk On Baby"(sic) on Soulworld for £11.50. The guy asked if I had a scan of the original for when he was DJing huh.gif

There is a market for them.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

personally i wouldnt call it a re-issue cos it aint its clearly a boot but i would say in my description to get around the issue so ebay dont pull it off auction is, It is not an original,

Social source share

Just be realistic with the prices - I just sold 100 of them for 200 quid - who buys Dave Mitchell, Mark Johnson, Rain etc etc for more than a fiver?
Agree 100% as long as your honest then it's the buyers who decide what they are willing to pay. Call them pressings on eBay as if you call them bootlegs then eBay might pull the auctions.

Or for a fair price just flog them all to me shades.gif

personally i wouldnt call it a re-issue cos it aint its clearly a boot but i would say in my description to get around the issue so ebay dont pull it off auction is, It is not an original,

This is a difficult area, if we are to call them pressings then we would or should know.

If we call them Boots then ebay pulls the listing.

The Set Sale idea sounds good, no attempt to have a Boot spiraling out of control up to the Value of a Genuine Original.

The 70's Soul Sounds as John mentions, have become collectable over the years.

I wonder if Other repro's come under the same scrutiny on ebay.

i.e. Someone saying "Don't Buy That Mate, it ain't an Antique"

Much in the way of Retro Fashion has been produced over the years Antique looking or 50's Style etc

I suppose it comes down to the description.

We do need a term used to let all know that they are Boot's without ebay pulling the plug.

"Pressing" is as good as any term to my way of thinking.

There is a Market, if the buyer knows exactly what is on offer then ......

and In the case of the the Soul Sounds Label etc it might be exactly what the buyer is looking for.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

This is a difficult area, if we are to call them pressings then we would or should know.

If we call them Boots then ebay pulls the listing.

I suppose it comes down to the description.

We do need a term used to let all know that they are Boot's without ebay pulling the plug.

"Pressing" is as good as any term to my way of thinking.

Despite the rights or wrongs in it, when you buy collections, many boots come with these collections. I never put them in my sales boxes or web site so i opt to sell them on eBay because there is a worldwide demand for certain titles.

I've sold a few 70's 'pressings' on eBay over the years and on EVERY one of them i've described them as being a '70's boot' (rather than 'bootleg') and eBay haven't ever pulled any of them from their auctions! Hope this helps Blake?

Cheers

steve

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

The Set Sale idea sounds good, no attempt to have a Boot spiraling out of control up to the Value of a Genuine Original. Surely the market should dictate this. if someone wants to pay whatever they want for it that's there choice. As long as it's not stated as an original, you are not out to con people then the choice what they pay is down to them. Let's face it some BOOTs are rarer than some of the originals, so the day of a boot actually beating the original price may not be too far away on certain items, wonder what we would do then??????????????

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Surely the market should dictate this. if someone wants to pay whatever they want for it that's there choice. As long as it's not stated as an original, you are not out to con people then the choice what they pay is down to them. Let's face it some BOOTs are rarer than some of the originals, so the day of a boot actually beating the original price may not be too far away on certain items, wonder what we would do then??????????????

Again, I agree with this...it's the buyers who decide what they are willing to pay and as long as it is made clear that they are bidding on a boot then it's down to them how much they want to pay.

Actually I do the same as Steve Plumb, always put boots on eBay as I don't want them on my website.

Interesting point about some boots being rarer than the originals, just not sure they will ever be as collectable? Having said that if anyone has (and wants to sell me) the three Modern label pressings with instrumental flip sides (Mary Love, Vernon Garrett & Jackie Day) then drop me a PM :wicked:

Adam.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The Set Sale idea sounds good, no attempt to have a Boot spiraling out of control up to the Value of a Genuine Original. Surely the market should dictate this. if someone wants to pay whatever they want for it that's there choice. As long as it's not stated as an original, you are not out to con people then the choice what they pay is down to them. Let's face it some BOOTs are rarer than some of the originals, so the day of a boot actually beating the original price may not be too far away on certain items, wonder what we would do then??????????????

Hi

I understand what you are saying, If describing an Item as a Boot as Steve mentions avoids the listing being pulled

and the seller has done all that they can regards the description then it is Indeed up to the buyer.

Also I didn't realise that some Boots were Valued so high, as to Eclipse the Original pricewise.

As I said it is a difficult area.

Social source share

Nothing to do with the fact that you can get much higher prices for boots on eBay due to the amount of numbskulls out there that don't look at websites then? laugh.gif

:)

I can't sell them on my website OR ebay, which is surprising considering I have two bootlegs apparently worth £125 each and despite offering them at £50 each yesterday there were no takers!

I REST MY CASE

Social source share

:)

I can't sell them on my website OR ebay, which is surprising considering I have two bootlegs apparently worth £125 each and despite offering them at £50 each yesterday there were no takers!

I REST MY CASE

It's prpbably cos you're the Asda of record sellers Pete. Because you're always so reasonable I bet some people must think your boots are boots of boots!

whistling.gif

Social source share

Again, I agree with this...it's the buyers who decide what they are willing to pay and as long as it is made clear that they are bidding on a boot then it's down to them how much they want to pay.

Actually I do the same as Steve Plumb, always put boots on eBay as I don't want them on my website.

Interesting point about some boots being rarer than the originals, just not sure they will ever be as collectable? Having said that if anyone has (and wants to sell me) the three Modern label pressings with instrumental flip sides (Mary Love, Vernon Garrett & Jackie Day) then drop me a PM :)

Adam.

Hi Adam

Now you've hit on another reason why people collect some of the early 70's pressings! Those three Modern boots have great instrumentals on them that aren't on the originals. I have all three of these meself and wouldn't sell them even tho' i have the originals. I have quite a few other pressings i wouldn't part with either - in particular the Soul Fox 45 of Belles/Jackie Lee and i'm sure there's others!

Plus, it's nice to have a Green vinyl Salvadores or a Green Gwen Owens until an original comes along laugh.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Nothing to do with the fact that you can get much higher prices for boots on eBay due to the amount of numbskulls out there that don't look at websites then? laugh.gif

:):P:P:D

Social source share

Hi Adam

Now you've hit on another reason why people collect some of the early 70's pressings! Those three Modern boots have great instrumentals on them that aren't on the originals. I have all three of these meself and wouldn't sell them even tho' i have the originals. I have quite a few other pressings i wouldn't part with either - in particular the Soul Fox 45 of Belles/Jackie Lee and i'm sure there's others!

Plus, it's nice to have a Green vinyl Salvadores or a Green Gwen Owens until an original comes along laugh.gif

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes those instrumental sides are superb. Don't see them for sale very often either, I guess because of that. Same old story with me: had them, sold them, would like them back!

Adam.

Social source share

Hi Adam

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

These 3 MODERN classics with the instrumental flips were all Arthur Wright productions. I always had them down as "special issues" that came through SS cause I'm still at a loss to try and understand how the hell Soussan got the backing tracks to Mirwood, Audio Arts, and the Arthur Wright stuff on Modern, did he bribe someone?

They are genuine backing tracks, not Simon on his organ. So how the hell did he do it??

Perhaps his ruse was, he required them to do versions of the songs and asked for the backing tracks..maybe that's how, but I'm guessing again.

PS send the LUTHER back, you fussy bar steward! What's wrong with a stack of pennys over the stylus???

John

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Just out of curiosity, what would the Mary Love Modern boot go for? I picked one up at a car boot not too long back with a few Tamla/Motown things and assumed it was about right for the price I paid, £1 IIRC. Having said that I'd say it was only G+/VG at best but it plays OK... couldn't refuse at that price.

Social source share

Steve,

These 3 MODERN classics with the instrumental flips were all Arthur Wright productions. I always had them down as "special issues" that came through SS cause I'm still at a loss to try and understand how the hell Soussan got the backing tracks to Mirwood, Audio Arts, and the Arthur Wright stuff on Modern, did he bribe someone?

They are genuine backing tracks, not Simon on his organ. So how the hell did he do it??

Perhaps his ruse was, he required them to do versions of the songs and asked for the backing tracks..maybe that's how, but I'm guessing again.

PS send the LUTHER back, you fussy bar steward! What's wrong with a stack of pennys over the stylus???

John

If anyone can access the original tapes there's a good chance that the vocals are on a separate track,easy peasy, that's how Kent put out insts of Tightrope, Hand It Over etc

Social source share

If anyone can access the original tapes there's a good chance that the vocals are on a separate track,easy peasy, that's how Kent put out insts of Tightrope, Hand It Over etc

That's usually how master tapes are arranged, however to ease editing they may be on a different tape.

The hiss where present is because of the pile of pennies on the stylus cutting into the vinyl. :rolleyes:

Rob

Social source share

Steve,

John

Hi John

Oh yes, the Audio Arts & Mirwood instrumentals too! Wouldn't part with them either!

Definitely worth keeping - especially if you are planning on a karaoke Northern Soul night at your next cocktail party :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert