Comin Home Mel Torme Or Not

Peter

Today while walking around Asda in Farnworth shopping, Asda Fm was playing, the Dj played what seemed like a new production of the Mel Torme "I'm Coming Home" backing track, but with a different vocal and a jazzy mix in the middle. Does anyone know what the track is ?

Peter.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

Today while walking around Asda in Farnworth shopping, Asda Fm was playing, the Dj played what seemed like a new production of the Mel Torme "I'm Coming Home" backing track, but with a different vocal and a jazzy mix in the middle. Does anyone know what the track is ?

Peter.

Dunno, but it can't be any worse than the original! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dunno, but it can't be any worse than the original! :lol:

It must be a totally supercallifragillistacllyexpiallydocious sort of record then :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes he did re-record it a couple of years later, with the jazzy breaks and trumpets in the middle. Its a smoother production. It was played a bit at Jazz venues in the 80s.

Ill dig it out when I get home from work, If I remember!

And it is worse than the original IMO ! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Mack Rice 45 is nice but it´s a different tune

Different from Mel Torme? No it's not. Slightly different lyrics, same tune.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Mack Rice and Mel torme...........

2 totally different choons.

Hmm you're right, just put Mack Rice on... why did i think they were similar? My ears are going... :thumbup:

Apologies all round. Mack Rice one of my favourites as well... :thumbup:

Social source share

i love this tune, so many great versions. earliest one i have is on Herbie Mann 'Live At the Village Gate', (with the composer, Ben Tucker on bass) - is there an earlier version, or is that technically the original? couldn't find out for certain, which seems odd for such a well-known tune.

Social source share

Different from Mel Torme? No it's not. Slightly different lyrics, same tune.

On Michael Parkinson's Radio 2 show last Sunday he played a new release that used the Mel Torme riff but had different ltrics. I suspect this is the record you heard. I looked at the playlist just now and I think it was Peter Grant - Traditional. Not as good as Mel Torme (or even worse, depending on your point of view) and nothing to do with soul/R&B.

Alan

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

On Michael Parkinson's Radio 2 show last Sunday he played a new release that used the Mel Torme riff but had different ltrics. I suspect this is the record you heard.

Alan

Er no, i already said in post 11 i'd made a mistake. In my brain somewhere Mel Torme sounded like Mack Rice, but having now listened to both i realise i was mistaken. Haven't heard this new one at all.

Social source share

On Michael Parkinson's Radio 2 show last Sunday he played a new release that used the Mel Torme riff but had different ltrics. I suspect this is the record you heard. I looked at the playlist just now and I think it was Peter Grant - Traditional. Not as good as Mel Torme (or even worse, depending on your point of view) and nothing to do with soul/R&B.

Alan

I suspect it's the recent release by Michael Buble (sp?) as mentioned in post #3 getting a bit of airplay at present, taken from his latest album, of which i don't know the title, don't wanna know it, and not really interested in it, but there you go!

Bedtime, jim jams and up the wooden hill to bedfordshire for me,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert