• Replies 5
  • Views 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Any info on this LP?

Obviously by the ubiquitous Big Dee Erwin. UK only.

What is the source of the tracks? Label & session info?

Any some refosoul clips would be nice :(

I don't have this album any more but it's not 'UK only' as far as I'm aware, as I'm pretty sure that the copy I used to have was on US Signpost, rather than the UK imprint.

Signpost was a short-lived label, distributed by Atlantic. It was founded by Artie Mogull, who had previously been head of some big label, from memory United Artists Records. The only big record on Signpost was the gorgeous country soul 45 "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" by Danny O'Keefe, which made the US Top 30.

EMI distributed the label here and as well as putting out the LP, they also put out a single of "Darling Please Take Me Back" and "Willie Pass The Water", neither of which are particularly good examples of Dee's work.

Dee's album was one of the last to be released on the label, which only ran for about a year from start to finish. When it folded, O'Keefe moved over to Atlantic itself, while all of the other acts were let go.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

EMI distributed the label here and as well as putting out the LP, they also put out a single of "Darling Please Take Me Back" and "Willie Pass The Water", neither of which are particularly good examples of Dee's work.

To give you an idea of timing, the 45 was released in the UK on 24/11/72.

Social source share

I don't have this album any more but it's not 'UK only' as far as I'm aware, as I'm pretty sure that the copy I used to have was on US Signpost, rather than the UK imprint.

Signpost was a short-lived label, distributed by Atlantic. It was founded by Artie Mogull, who had previously been head of some big label, from memory United Artists Records. The only big record on Signpost was the gorgeous country soul 45 "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" by Danny O'Keefe, which made the US Top 30.

Dee's album was one of the last to be released on the label, which only ran for about a year from start to finish. When it folded, O'Keefe moved over to Atlantic itself, while all of the other acts were let go.

Interesting that the track "Willie Pass The Water" appeared on the Ripple LP on GRC which Dee had a hand in. He seemed to have a varied career after his early 60's hit making days on Dimension. I seem to recall some song writing credits with Sugar Pie de Santo ... and then his own "I Only Get This Feeling " ...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

To give you an idea of timing, the 45 was released in the UK on 24/11/72.

...and the same month in the USA on Signpost 70009, the penultimate release on the label.

Dee was a big hero of mine. I never met him, but I'm friends with his partner Peggy, and she loves the fact that he's remembered among the soul fraternity for so many more things than "Swinging On A Star". I'm still very proud of the CD that I helped facilitate the release of when I was at Westside, "Another Night With Big Dee Irwin", and I think it's a shame that he's not more highly regarded as a songwriter outside of soul circles...

I'm still trying to establish for you whether or not there was a full US release of the album. As I said, I don't have it anymore, but I could swear that my copy was US, albeit a demo, so it may never have achieved a full release given that the label shut up shop only a matter of weeks after it came out in the UK.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert