Soul What Is Your Prefered Genre

Guest Bearsy

Guest Pete Griffin

Your up there with the fairys you ! :lol: I have PMd Mike and he is going to mail you some instructions!

But thanks for helping me put on my new "Mark Broadhurst" kit on my Lambretta !!

Your not totally useless :unsure:

Do it yourself next time :(:lol: see ya later :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 90
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not sure if this is in the correct section so mods please feel free to move if need be :lol:

Just out of interest and that i seem to be getting mocked about my personal preference to taste in soul (Simom M :( king of disco) I am just a tad interested in knowing what genre of the scene is your music preference ie- oldies, 60s, crossover, 70s, ultra modern, R&B etc etc, and why

I hear so many people saying that other people only like certain genres of soul if its from a certain era.

Me i do prefer 60s but am also liking a bit of everything else too, you see its not the decade or date of the tune for me but the quality of the tune itself that counts,

And please no silly handbag debates about baggy trousers, patches or chin stroking cos that really is getting boring on here now,

also if you have nothing good to say DONT bother posting :unsure:

Bearsy

As we have said in other posts,tatse does change for a lot of folk over the years..I like different stuff at different times,in the main its everything from 64 to 73 covereing deep soul ballads,stompers,Cross over RnB and then some...Always nice to hear/play some underplayed/new(to my ears anyway)..Plus we all have certain oldies that never fail to move you....

Social source share

As Darrow Fletcher sang 'Changing by the minute'.

I like variety, and a good mix of all the genre's.

When something crops up thats new to me (probably played out to most!!) like Ann Robinsons vocal of Bird Walkin that I only heard a few months ago, I get a real buzz.

At the moment, I am working my way through a Sony boy Williamson cd, and although more R&B, its great to sing along to.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

OVER THE YEARS THE WHOLE SPECTRUM OF SOUL MUSIC AS GRABBED ME IN SOME WAY.STARTING WITH THE VERY FIRST TIME NORTHERN SOUL ENTERED MY LIFE AS A TWELVE YEAR OLD AT THE SCHOOL DISCO.TUNES LIKE,COMPARED TO WHAT,CHANGE YOUR WAYS,BLOWIN` UP MY MIND,&I`LL TRY(STILL A GREAT TUNE TODAY).AROUNG THE HOUSE I PLAY ALSORTS THESE DAYS...R&B,70TS,DEEP FUNK,NORTHERN.BUT MY PASSION IS FOR UPTEMPO 6TS SOUL,BIG PRODUCTION & GRITTY MALE/FEMALE VOCALS THAT CUT YOU IN TWO .I LOVE HEARING NEW THINGS WHEN I`M OUT, OF A 6TS NATURE.BUT GET BORED QUITE EASILY OF OVER PLAYED,RAMMED DOWN YOUR THROAT OLDIES NORTHERN SOUL.EACH TO THEIR OWN I SUPPOSE,THE MARKET FOR SOUL NIGHTS IS HUGE AND EVERYONE IS CATERED FOR.......LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Social source share

have read through this thread and started to reply a few times stating my preferred genre of soul music...however when I really think about it I can't choose! My favourite artists span different eras-eg Il love music recorded in the 60s and 70s by Darrow Fletcher, Maxine Brown, Curtis Mayfield and Bobby Womack. I love uptempo soul...a bit of latin, boogaloo soul,RnB , Disco and stompin northern but also enjoy deep soul, crossover and modern soul.

If I had to say....I think I would go for DISCO!!!!

Social source share

I always say I collect anything and everything but in reality I generally always end up buying 6ts and 7ts records, Ballads, Deep, Mid Tempo, some Funk with lots of classic Stafford Northern stuff. Used to collect nothing but new releases at one time but I find now other than 20 tracks say it just does not hit the spot so to speak..too weak

I do like allot of early house though, all that Trax / DJ International stuff including 10 City etc with as spluttering of the better Italian releases from 89 through 91, they made a class track for every 10 releases back then, Voices of Africa, Izit - Stories, Psycho Team, acts of Madmen the list is endless

And then of course there is the Grid and Renegade Sound wave from the uk !!!! F*** solid!! laughs

You gotta keep an open mind though haven't you...

Mal.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I just love REAL Soul music.... don't care when it was made... or how rare it is... all tempo's... all formats...

On older 'danceable' material, if pushed I prefer Chicago (Mayfield / Chandler / W. Jackson etc) over Detroit :lol: and yet I'm seriously wedded to the old Temps & Tops stuff.... cos it was just magnificent.....! :lol:

On the 'Modern' side.... I guess I was amongst the pioneers at the time in that particular genre... but I'm not a great fan of zingy pop 'disco' soul... it's gotta be Soulful if its Modern (Post 80) and I just can't be doing with a lot of this 'Euro Housey stylee' Bouncy Castle stuff that masquerades as soul these days....

I still buy 20+ new US released CD's every single month and am still finding Quality Soul from 2006 / 2007 that rocks my boat... just as it always has done.... and yet I still pick up dozens of 45's and LP's every month from previous decades (Crossover.... 60's.... the whole 9 yards).

Generally prefer Deep Soul over Uptempo material and it tends to be Southern stuff that does it for me, because that's the door I came in on (if that makes sense).... discovered Southern Soul years before I'd heard of 'Northern'..... I'm a Muscle Shoals.... Malaco man.... and I just adore.... and really love.... the New Orleans sound from Willie Tee through to Inell Young... but if I have a real preference its Memphis... most of the Hi stuff.... that's the epitome of Soul for me.... Syl Johnson "Any Way The Wind Blows".... Quiet Elegance "You've Got My Mind Messed Up"..... Otis Clay "Holding On To A Dying Love" .... Ann Peebles "Give Me Some Credit"..... Bobby McClure "To Get What You Got"...... I'd die without a blast of each of those (and hundreds like 'em) each and every week!

How do you categorise Bobby Womack.... on any tempo.... Sam Dees.... on vocals or on lyrics only..... James Carr..... (could sing the phone book).... in any other way than just SOUL.

Either way you cut it, we are very, very lucky... to have such a fantastic spectrum to choose from.

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i am into it all as times i find certain tracks i like but my fav very fav are 60's Northern and Motown and 70's stuff again Northern or Modern. I ain't much 80's modern and 90's to now is good cause i hear stuff like Kenny Thomas who is a fav of mine but wouldn't have thought he would do any modern stuff. same with Lisa Stansfield and Kirk Franklin

Social source share

On the 'Modern' side.... I guess I was amongst the pioneers at the time in that particular genre...

Sean

And does that really make you proud? :lol:

"Propper" Northern for me :lol:

That means: 90% 60s uptempo (mainly Detroit, and the rougher the better), 7%mid tempo & R&B and 3% good Crossover...

For example, my faves of the genres:

Gloria Jones

The Tomangoes , etc...

Dena Barnes

Ace Spectrum

Albert Jones - I Do Love You

Cheers from Mexico :thumbsup:

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Guest stromberg

Not sure if this is in the correct section so mods please feel free to move if need be :lol:

Just out of interest and that i seem to be getting mocked about my personal preference to taste in soul (Simom M :thumbsup: king of disco) I am just a tad interested in knowing what genre of the scene is your music preference ie- oldies, 60s, crossover, 70s, ultra modern, R&B etc etc, and why

I hear so many people saying that other people only like certain genres of soul if its from a certain era.

Me i do prefer 60s but am also liking a bit of everything else too, you see its not the decade or date of the tune for me but the quality of the tune itself that counts,

And please no silly handbag debates about baggy trousers, patches or chin stroking cos that really is getting boring on here now,

also if you have nothing good to say DONT bother posting :lol:

Bearsy

I like everything from late 5t's R'n'B to soulful house, but if you are asking for the prefered genre(or years) it will definately be the late sixties/early seventies. I love the more down/mid-tempo sounds with a sparse backing, that means not too overproduced. A big production can be nice with a good arrangement, good vocals are important to me, of course. I love a lot of the TK labels stuff, also Philly/ Chicago. I heavily enjoy 7t's ballads with a good singer.

But it's all very subjective, isn't it, people should simply judge for themselves and listen and enjoy the music that means something to them, for whatever reason.

I am just amazed over and over again how fantastic these recordings often are, sometimes everything just seems so right, vocals, production, arrangement, lyrics etc. bla bla, they sound so fresh and creative after all those years being recorded, letting the creative output/effort of many todays music pale in comparison. err, I am getting a bit carried away, I guess.

You get the picture..

best,

Stefan

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I don't know what year any records are from :thumbsup: whatever year The Yum Yums -Big Thing was! So probably 60ts in fact it must be sixties for me. Actually my Top Ten is in Soul Survivors.

Social source share

Like anything and everything really but the stuff that really gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up is male voice mid-tempo.

Some examples:

Jimmy Soul Clarke - I'll be your Champion

Freddie Houston - If I Had Known (listening whilst typing and still after a copy)

Volumes - Same Old Feeling

Compliments - Beware Beware

Players - Why Did I Lie

Emmanuel Laskey - Sweet Lies

etc etc

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I DONT HAVE A PREFERRED GENRE. I LOVE ALL STYLES OF SOUL. IF IM IN A MELLOW MOOD AT HOME I LIKE LOTS OF DEEP SOUL AND MELLOW 7T'S. IF I'M OUT AT A NIGHTER I LIKE STORMING 6TS STOMPERS AND 7TS DANCERS AND A BIT OF MIDTEMPO STUFF AS WELL.

I ALSO LIKE R&B AND BLUES, I LOVE ANYYTHING PRODUCED BY WILLIE DIXON. I EVEN LIKE SOME JAZZ AND YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH A FEW FUNK TUNES NOW AND AGAIN.

8T'S THROUGHT TO NEW SOUL DOES IT FOR ME AS WELL. SOME SOULFUL HOUSE IS GOOD, MORE THE STUFF THAT SOUNDS SIMILAR TO 7T'S SOUL/DISCO. MOST OF IT IS PANTS THOUGH.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So am i right in saying the majority like a bit of everything but 60s is the big love if push came to shove,

pretty much how i see it thumbup.gif

Social source share

Not sure if this is in the correct section so mods please feel free to move if need be biggrin.gif

Just out of interest and that i seem to be getting mocked about my personal preference to taste in soul (Simom M laugh.gif king of disco) I am just a tad interested in knowing what genre of the scene is your music preference ie- oldies, 60s, crossover, 70s, ultra modern, R&B etc etc, and why

also if you have nothing good to say DONT bother posting :D

Bearsy

I tend to like high qualiy productions and arrangements. Van McCoy, H-D-H, Tom Bell-Jackson-

Wisner, Renzetti-Linzer-Ross, that kind of stuff. How would you pigeon-hole it, Motown and their

soundalikes I guess. Of course a nice back beat to make things swing-a-long. Uptemo and floaters,

some ballads, don't care if it's 60/70/80/90/2007T's.

:P

Social source share

Guest bill storey

I like soul miusic, I find it difficult to segregate and difficult to understand the difference between Northern, Crossover, and Modern. The way I see it, if a record like Independant Woman, or The Bottle had been released ten years earler it would be in the Northern but some of these tracks that miss the timeline have to be shuttered off from that particular genre. I agree that djs play to a genre and that they also play to the crowd but I like soul across the board personally and I think that great tunes from all the decades in question are all just as good as each other and certainly as dancable. IMHO

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

So am i right in saying the majority like a bit of everything but 60s is the big love if push came to shove,

Its defo the 60s sound for me :P

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Hi there matey XXX Still in sunny Spain but there´s no escaping me.........

Yeah 60s all the way if I could only pick 1 and despite all the banter re disco/modern etc on here it seems most agree...

See you in the Crown,

Helen

XXXXXXX

PS there´s no point trying to hide as i will hunt you down .......LOL XXXXXX

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

Bearsy, given that we've already established that I consider lancing my own piles as being preferable to listening to "Modern" you can take it that I am firmly in the underplayed and rarely heard 6ts soul camp.

Just chilling and listening to this little ditty right now - "Long Ago" think he means the 6ts !

Taff

24___Long_Ago.mp3

Edited by Saxafone
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hi there matey XXX Still in sunny Spain but there´s no escaping me.........

Yeah 60s all the way if I could only pick 1 and despite all the banter re disco/modern etc on here it seems most agree...

See you in the Crown,

Helen

XXXXXXX

PS there´s no point trying to hide as i will hunt you down .......LOL XXXXXX

:D:lol: Hi Helen hope your having a great time in the sun while were all here getting wet in the cold :D

im off to Blackpool in the morning with the family for a few days so you wont be able to find me there :P

Anyway i got told you had no taste in soul :lol:

See you on Friday at the crown :(

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy, given that we've already established that I consider lancing my own piles as being preferable to listening to "Modern" you can take it that I am firmly in the underplayed and rarely heard 6ts soul camp.

Just chilling and listening to this little ditty right now - "Long Ago" think he means the 6ts !

Taff

Yeah i kind of guessed that Taff :P

nice tune too :(

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

:shades::( Hi Helen hope your having a great time in the sun while were all here getting wet in the cold tongue.gif

im off to Blackpool in the morning with the family for a few days so you wont be able to find me there :lol:Don´t count on it!!!!

Anyway i got told you had no taste in soul :)That may be true Bearsy as i always enjoy your sets!

See you on Friday at the crown :lol:

Bearsy

Social source share

My self do preffere midtempo, crossover and underplayed records.

Don't know that last soul music genre :thumbsup:

Can you describe it to me????

Social source share

Mainly 60's floats my boat.

But music is a very personal thing, so I've always been careful not put down someone else's taste, whatever the genre, just because I don't happen to like it (except C**ntry & W*st**n which is truly awful of course :lol::unsure:wink.gif ).

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Don't know that last soul music genre :thumbsup:

Can you describe it to me????

its the stuff we aint heard yet but what genre it is i dont know cos we aint heard it yet :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

There ain't nothing wrong with quality modern soul.

:thumbsup:

i have heard them 2 words together before by SimonM but i think he was drunk, do they go together Peter :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Oh here we go Bearsy , at least theres still lots of mint- Modern soul around ph34r.gif

nothing to do with the fact no one wants to play or listen or even buy it :lol::lol: your words ive just twisted them :P

Social source share

nothing to do with the fact no one wants to play or listen or even buy it :lol::lol: your words ive just twisted them :P

Twisting my words hey , you should of been round in the mafia days of soul Bearsy . ph34r.gif however I have found that the plastic on modern soul releases is better , esp' west coast plastic !!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

love midtempo and beat ballads - just speaking to Val Palmer on the very same topic and both of us are midtempo girlies at heart. Val said that it was the Stafford influence for her and I put my interest down to Mark Bicknell & Alan Handscombe and their midtempo selections that they've played to me over the years. There's always the question as to whether it's 'fashionable' to play this genre out....listen, if I feel a Sam Fletcher moment coming on - you're going to get Sam Fletcher!

and a lot of latin and jazzy influenced stuff from assorted eras. Yep, the same for me as well as RnB. Again I blame Mark Bicknell and Alan Handscombe but the West Hampstead djs have a lot to answer for laugh.gif

Why? I've no idea.. a song either does it for you or it doesn't! Exactly :D

I am also a COMPLETE sucker for big hair, chiffon, high drama and slingbacks....but that's just me :ohmy: ..Sapphires 'Got to have your love', Orlons 'Envy', Kim Weston 'I'm still loving you' Linda Jones 'Just Can't Live my life'....you get the picture.

And last, but no means least - DETROIT.....my first and true love - anything that Mike Terry and Jack Ashford collaborated on, Thelma, Motown and all it's offshoots, Golden World - all of it....Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Like anything and everything really but the stuff that really gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up is male voice mid-tempo.

Some examples:

Jimmy Soul Clarke - I'll be your Champion

Freddie Houston - If I Had Known (listening whilst typing and still after a copy)

Volumes - Same Old Feeling

Compliments - Beware Beware

Players - Why Did I Lie

Emmanuel Laskey - Sweet Lies

etc etc

That's hanging round dingy basements on a Thursday night that got you into all that old tosh :ohmy::D An excellent selection and not a BLOKEY tune in sight tongue.gif Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert