Soul What Is Your Prefered Genre

Guest Bearsy

Guest Bearsy

Not sure if this is in the correct section so mods please feel free to move if need be :yes:

Just out of interest and that i seem to be getting mocked about my personal preference to taste in soul (Simom M :wicked: king of disco) I am just a tad interested in knowing what genre of the scene is your music preference ie- oldies, 60s, crossover, 70s, ultra modern, R&B etc etc, and why

I hear so many people saying that other people only like certain genres of soul if its from a certain era.

Me i do prefer 60s but am also liking a bit of everything else too, you see its not the decade or date of the tune for me but the quality of the tune itself that counts,

And please no silly handbag debates about baggy trousers, patches or chin stroking cos that really is getting boring on here now,

also if you have nothing good to say DONT bother posting :wub:

Bearsy

Social source share

• Replies 90
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bearsy

how about putting up 1 tune that explains why,

for me 1 tune i just love to hear and would never tire of hearing is

Salvadors - Stick by me baby

Social source share

Good topic Bearsy & think we might get some interesting answers.

Personally not got a prefered genre as such.

Last thing I look at is the year a record was made.

Couldn't care less if it was made in the 60s or last week.

Still got boxes full of 60s Northern sat next to boxes full of Soulful House & loads of stuff inbetween.

If I like it I buy it (if I can afford it).

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

I do sit in the 60´s camp i´m afraid

although saying that i agree with Bearsy that it´s the tune that counts.

I certainly wouldn´t dismiss anything just because of the release date - that´s just silly,

But as soon as i hear that synth/drum machine intro that so much modern has I must admit i switch off.

Some so called modern is just out and out disco and to me that´s just not soul. Just my opinion.

Also im not too keen on the Latin stuff that sometimes gets played. do like a bit of R n B tho.

Basically if it moves my heart or moves my feet I love it!! :wicked:

Helen

XXXXX

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Not sure if this is in the correct section so mods please feel free to move if need be :yes:

Just out of interest and that i seem to be getting mocked about my personal preference to taste in soul (Simom M :wicked: king of disco) I am just a tad interested in knowing what genre of the scene is your music preference ie- oldies, 60s, crossover, 70s, ultra modern, R&B etc etc, and why

I hear so many people saying that other people only like certain genres of soul if its from a certain era.

Me i do prefer 60s but am also liking a bit of everything else too, you see its not the decade or date of the tune for me but the quality of the tune itself that counts,

And please no silly handbag debates about baggy trousers, patches or chin stroking cos that really is getting boring on here now,

also if you have nothing good to say DONT bother posting :wub:

Bearsy

Love all genres and eras of Soul music mate. For me it started with the voice of Otis Redding and I have always had a soft spot for the 60's southern stuff. Rawer (sp?) vocal and simpler / blusey arrangments always do it for me.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Still got boxes full of 60s Northern sat next to boxes full of Soulful House & loads of stuff inbetween.

Oh yeah i forgot the bit about affording them :wicked:

hopefully the topic will run nicely and the immature squabbling dont start and ruin like you say an interesting topic

Social source share

Good thread Bearsy - Ouch! :wub:

I began my soul career like most - initiated with the 60's sounds - you mention the Salvadors - what a classy tune. I like good soul music. I still like the oldies but these days prefer seventies and anything up to new release stuff.

The best era musically - in terms of what was being played, for me was 1977 - 1984. Richard Searling at the Casion was awesome - his new sixties and modern were phenomenal. 1979 and the oldies/newies debate - I went along with Sam, Arthur, Poke etc.

Having said this I like all sorts.

:wicked:

Social source share

Guest rachel

I like bits of everything from R&B (but not too much of it) to Soulful House (but not too 'housey'), but my heart is really in the late 60s/ early 70s - crossover I suppose, without starting the debate again on 'what that is' :wicked: - love midtempo and beat ballads, and a lot of latin and jazzy influenced stuff from assorted eras. Why? I've no idea.. a song either does it for you or it doesn't!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Good thread Bearsy - Ouch! :yes:did that hurt Peter :wub:

I began my soul career like most - initiated with the 60's sounds - you mention the Salvadors - what a classy tune. I like good soul music. I still like the oldies but these days prefer seventies and anything up to new release stuff.

The best era musically - in terms of what was being played, for me was 1977 - 1984. Richard Searling at the Casion was awesome - his new sixties and modern were phenomenal. 1979 and the oldies/newies debate - I went along with Sam, Arthur, Poke etc.

Having said this I like allsorts. ...... i like them too and i prefer the ones with coconut flakes on but lets not talk sweets this thread is about soul Peter :yes:

:wicked:

Social source share

I am defo an up tempo 60T,s girl, plus a bit of soulful R&B, Latin, as long as not to daft,and a bit off crossover, but I like the underplayed stuff as well as full on biggies.as long as its got the right beat, I love it.was never keen on the funky era that came in the mid 70,Ts

Social source share

Great songs are great songs, but generally i like well produced & arranged R&B in all it's styles, 60s soul with an R&b influence, meloncholy deep, southern and crossover soul and funky 70s to modern soul. Strangely, the majority of 60s uptempo northern doesn't do that much for me, but those that i like i really like. sorry :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Great songs are great songs, but generally i like well produced & arranged R&B in all it's styles, 60s soul with an R&b influence, meloncholy deep, southern and crossover soul and funky 70s to modern soul. Strangely, the majority of 60s uptempo northern doesn't do that much for me, but those that i like i really like. sorry :yes:

No need to be sorry mik, thats what this thread is about mate explaining what you like and why :wicked:

quite a few posts and quite a few differences in taste already so keep them coming boys and girls oh and SSLAAS :wub:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

I love big production..big vocal stuff..the dirtier and raunchier the better, even my beat ballads have to have Bo**ocks....of course there are exceptions, like the bits and bobs that I simply adore for no particular reason....nothing like my style..just love em anyway. Had a quick look at my box and it seems a lot of my tunes come out of 'new york'. :wicked:

Social source share

Used to be just 60ts/seventies for me ,but used to pop to hitsville in newcastle and get big discounts on the new indie stuff,so found myself having alot of releases from the indie era of soul late 80ts early nineties also,quality stuff like bert robinson,james robinson and the brilliant bobby bosemen.Still buying new releases from crazy beat as much as 60/70ts stuff and ive got to say some of the new releases are spot on/MANY OF WHICH ARE MUCH TALKED ABOUT ON HERE.Just love black music that is soulful really any era if its soulful,however if i ever had to choose,it would be almost definetly SIXTIES.

BAZ A

Social source share

95% 6ts Mid to uptempo & the odd beat ballad.

5% 7ts & must admit to sometimes preferring the chart stuff rather than some of the dull rare stuff.

Simon :wicked:

Social source share

Well said Young Martin ......

I am the same ; 30 years or 30 days ; if it is good , who cares when it was recorded - I certainly do not ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I like bits of everything from R&B to Soulful House but my heart is really in the late 60s/ early 70s - crossover I suppose, without starting the debate again on 'what that is' :) - love midtempo and beat ballads,

Snap but with great female vocals taking the lead - Ty Karim, Rozetta Johnson, Carol Anderson, Linda Jones, Lolleatta Holloway, Patti Labelle etc.

Rare helps too, mega-rare really helps. But that's shallow and I'm ashamed of myself.

Social source share

Me too!!Cunnie even have some of that soulfull-house rubbish :thumbup: but 6ts just edge it!! ohmy.gif oh!i dont know!!!!! :) .............record that says it for me is "to the ends of the earth",closely followed by "footsie" yeah!!.

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

60s is really my main soul diet as i got into the music through this but im easy quite like a fair bit of modern theese days , also them nice r&b dancers you know the sort :)

Social source share

My main love is 60's, especially uptempo dancer's - 70's, some modern n crossover track's (which has started to grow on me more n more recently). R & B - northern/funk and certain latin track's. I'm very passionate about deep soul, for me it evoke's depth n emotion like no other.. :)

Karen

Social source share

Guest rachel

Snap but with great female vocals taking the lead - Ty Karim, Rozetta Johnson, Carol Anderson, Linda Jones, Lolleatta Holloway, Patti Labelle etc.

Actually.. snap! I used to buy almost exclusively female vocals, and I reckon my collection is still probably about 65-70% female.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I like pretty much everything, but not that keen on modern. These days i'm starting to slant further and further towards R&B with recent visits to the R&B rooms at Middleton and the Aqua very enjoyable. I even like a bit of Doo Wop now and then. Having said that i danced to pretty much most of Soul Sam's spot... like i said, a bit of everything i suppose.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

My all time favourite Northern too!

Only got the 70s re-press though :thumbup:

What about you? Got the original?

No but i would swap my BMW for a copy :) thanks SimonM tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Lots of sixties soul for me, There are 1000s of tunes out there that i have not heard yet.

Big fan of Ska and Latin and blue eyed soul.

70S? Well, i have a long way befor i get there :)

Social source share

Not sure if this is in the correct section so mods please feel free to move if need be :thumbup:

Just out of interest and that i seem to be getting mocked about my personal preference to taste in soul (Simom M :) king of disco) I am just a tad interested in knowing what genre of the scene is your music preference ie- oldies, 60s, crossover, 70s, ultra modern, R&B etc etc, and why

also if you have nothing good to say DONT bother posting tongue.gif

Bearsy

Mainly 60s........Soul, Latin,Ska,Funk,RnB, for me! But I like allsorts of stuff aswell. 70s Soul, Modern, Funky House if im in Ibiza :) But 60s Detroit would be the first place I would visit if I had a Tardis!!

Visit the 20 grand club..............blah.........blah

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Some titles would be good,dont wanna`finnish up playin`something i didnt particuly wanna`hear.

MMmmm ! I did type all the titles in, dont know what i did wrong :(

Social source share

MMmmm ! I did type all the titles in, dont know what i did wrong :(

Wierd Pete,iyou should type in the title in box provided once you have uploaded your tune,just under where you upload.

Social source share

MMmmm ! I did type all the titles in, dont know what i did wrong :lol:

Your up there with the fairys you ! :unsure: I have PMd Mike and he is going to mail you some instructions!

But thanks for helping me put on my new "Mark Broadhurst" kit on my Lambretta !!

Your not totally useless :(

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest soulful ady

At one time is was Motown only for me,sad i know :( However over the past 10 years my collection has gone crazy anything from the mid 50's, Doo Wop,Big beat ballards,chuck Jackson etc like most anything Dancable,not that i do offen these days normally after a couple beers or so.

One im into at the moment is "You Better Believe it Baby" Chubby Checker Ex sound not heard it out for years.

Ady

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Wierd Pete,iyou should type in the title in box provided once you have uploaded your tune,just under where you upload.
I think ive sussed it Ken, its the first time ive uploaded a song the new way :(

Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert