Lost In The World Of A Dream

Guest MarkP

Apologies if this topic has been posted before, but i am new to the forum and haven`t yet managed to trawl through the thousands of topics already up.

Came across an old wigan tape a few days ago, with this song on it

Lost in a world of a dream - Sharpees? Sharpettes? Dont know the label and cant remember the groups name exactly but its one of these. Played at wigan when i first started going in 78-79 and can only vaguely remember Searling playing it.

Haven`t heard it played out anywhere since i got back into the scene about 95,(it may have been played at places i haven`t been!!) to be fair i had forgotten about it myself until i found this tape, does anyone know anything about it?,( i think its a Detroit record, but i could be wrong, and thats all i know about it, or dont know about it) Does anyone have it?. I think it was bootlegged or 2nd-issued as its quaintly referred to now, but i haven`t seen any of them around either, as i would have remembered it and bought one. Is it so rare that no dj`s have it on original?, and wont play the bootleg, or is just a forgotten tune lurking in the back of only a few collectors boxes or attics?. Or does everyone just think its crap and wont play it?.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Natural Four - I thought you were mine - Boola Boola issue?, its a slower version than the ABC one. Thats my entire knowledge of this particular record.

Thanks

Mark.

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I've got the boot I think. It is the Sharpettes on Lost World.

Mine is either a yellow or a sky blue lable. Its so long since I've seen it I cant really remember.

Happy to let you have it at a fair price if you want it.

Not got JM's essential bootleg guide here, but pretty sure it came in a soul pack with a bunch of other boots.

Social source share

It's The Sharpettes on Sound City from Detroit, fairly hard to find on original.

Cheers for that, thought it was a detroit record and on a "something" city label,( I thought it may have been "angel" city). Any idea on price for an original?. Would like to see one if the label looks like it was hand drawn. Looks like it will go on the wants list. Any more info on this record very welcome.

Mark

Social source share

ive never seen a original copy but it is on the totally northern soul cd gscd106 where there is a label shot but no info worth talking about

Social source share

Des is right about the had drawn label, it's a white label and someone has drawn a sketch of a "cityscape" by hand, I would guess the person who did it was aged about 8 or 9. The actual record, I think, is absolutely brilliant. The bootleg label is white, done by the same person who did Tommy Bush, Dawn, Donna King etc. Not top sound quality.

Social source share

Des is right about the had drawn label, it's a white label and someone has drawn a sketch of a "cityscape" by hand, I would guess the person who did it was aged about 8 or 9. The actual record, I think, is absolutely brilliant. The bootleg label is white, done by the same person who did Tommy Bush, Dawn, Donna King etc. Not top sound quality.

All pressed late 70s @ Bestway, New Jersey on poor quality styrene, with very little attention paid to mastering..ya right they all sound pretty awful.

Social source share

I bought one off Tim Brown about 3 Years ago for £300, so I suppose that's about the right value, unless someone can cheer me up & tell me it's worth loads more.

Des

Yeah but unfortunately it's worth half that amount Des!

Well it is if you get it off me or Mick Smith - I had one off him 18 months back for £125

Social source share

Yeah but unfortunately it's worth half that amount Des!

Well it is if you get it off me or Mick Smith - I had one off him 18 months back for £125

I have an original to trade somewhere. I also have an original of the perma-hit 45 (perma hit has messed up labels but a clean VG vinyl, have to pull out the other one to check the condition still). People can PM me if interested.

Social source share

demos are white, think there is a rarer issue which is red

same group also did another good track on perma hit label

called -keep on looking

Floyd

I thought all of them are white - not arguing with you or saying there isn't a red one - but if there is, now that would certainly be worth £300!

Social source share

demos are white, think there is a rarer issue which is red

same group also did another good track on perma hit label

called -keep on looking

Floyd

Any stock copies I've had have always been white, I would be truly astonished if someone showed me a red label release.

I sold a VG copy recently for £250... £300 that Tim charged seems about right if it was a nice clean copy and £125 once again confirms Peter as the ASDA of rare vinyl.

Social source share

Any stock copies I've had have always been white, I would be truly astonished if someone showed me a red label release.

I sold a VG copy recently for £250... £300 that Tim charged seems about right if it was a nice clean copy and £125 once again confirms Peter as the ASDA of rare vinyl.

This is true. What's also true is that I actually did sell it for that price (actually I think I bought it for 125 and sold it for 150) and anyone who doesn't believe me can have access to all my old lists on yahoo groups. About 300 of them. I don't just say these things for effect. :lol:

Social source share

Just out of interest, i have a little story about this sort of thing.

About 12 years ago a friend of mine was in America at some producer guys house (cant remember who).

He fetched up a box of 1960`s laquers which had all been crayoned by his kids at the time they had been cut, and he explained he let the kids "invent" record label designs for him on the blank (the white label bit anyway) laquers. So maybe this is how this label design came about. A bit of a wild guess i know, but nothing would surprise me.

Mark

Social source share

I'm gonna did my copy out tonight, dust it down and play it. All I can remember about the record is that it's white! Mind you - given my DIY accident when removing the chimney breast recently it may well be black.

Any serious offers for a very rare, black, one off pm me!

Social source share

I thought all of them are white - not arguing with you or saying there isn't a red one - but if there is, now that would certainly be worth £300!

Hi Pete, i may be wrong about the red issue

i thought i remembered seeing a knackered one on ebay

ages ago, but im probably wrong i have the w/d and apart

from the one i thought id seen on ebay all the others ive seen

have been white wouldnt mind the perma hit disc if anyone has one

in at least EX condition at a realistic price

Floyd

Social source share

All pressed late 70s @ Bestway, New Jersey on poor quality styrene, with very little attention paid to mastering..ya right they all sound pretty awful.

bought mine off john approx 30 years ago for 40 quid on the white label ZTSC 126024

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert