Just Into It ?

Simon M

• Replies 54
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So have you just got into Soul in the last few years and ventured out to some events .. I'm sure Bearsy can start the ball rolling here , his enthusiasm knows no bounds :lol:

ATB

Simon M

Looks like you're the only one who has got into soul over the last few years Simes and it also looks as though the bounds of Bearsy's enthusiasm have been found!

Seriously, I'd be interested on the thoughts of any newbies and how intimdated they are by the motley collection of "born in the 50's" old farts on here!

Social source share

Looks like you're the only one who has got into soul over the last few years Simes and it also looks as though the bounds of Bearsy's enthusiasm have been found!

Seriously, I'd be interested on the thoughts of any newbies and how intimdated they are by the motley collection of "born in the 50's" old farts on here!

The fifties! I'm a very young soul boy then - I'm a sixties child.

:lol:

Social source share

Poses the question

Whats the youngest soul person you know

Not your kids or your mates kids

A geniuine young soulster

Personaly I dont know any one under 40

F***n hell I am getting old

(62) before you ask, oh and thats the year I was born not my age

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So have you just got into Soul in the last few years and ventured out to some events .. I'm sure Bearsy can start the ball rolling here , his enthusiasm knows no bounds :)

ATB

Simon M

ball rolling.

as many know im quite a newie as i only found this scene about 3 years ago and started to get more and more into it and especially the last 2 years ive been getting out more all the time and just absolutely love every minute of it, for me first and formost it was the music and still is but since i found Soul Source its opened up the scene even more to me and have since got to know so many more people in the scene and visited quite a few different venues with the plan of visiting many more in the near future, the people on this scene are very special and when you mix that in with all the quality music and then the different venues with there different music policies make this for me something i wish i had found many years ago, a hell of a lot of it is still very new to me so i get the buzz and enjoyment out of many tunes so many are now maybe getting a bit tired of hearing, being able to go somewhere say 100 miles plus from home on your own and walk in and be greeted by people you have maybe only met once or twice before and also people you never met and feel like you have known them a lifetime is something you just dont get anywhere else in this world these days and its just something special and everyone thats apart of this scene creates that, Am i intimidated by the older brigade :thumbsup: no cos everybody is older than me laugh.gif if anyone feels intimidated and feels they should go with what someone else tells them because thats what they want to do then thats up to them but me im my own person and old enough to make my own decisions on what i like and want to do and how i want to do it, personally i aint met no one yet that has made me feel unwelcome to the scene and when that day comes it wont make a single difference to me cos the scene is far more inportant and bigger than any one person.

would i want to see anything change or be different :( keep at as it is cos for me thats all part of the package.

This Friday im off to Letchworth and have been invited to dinner if i get there early enough by Toby & Mandy at Toby Towers and these smashing people i only met a few months ago and then off to Letchworth to be treated to some top quality soul by some of the best DJs ive not had the privelige of hearing before with some of the best tunes in existence ive not heard before either, does life get any better (apart from at home with the wife and kids of course) yes it does every bloody week thumbup.gif

thats enough drivel from me for now :D

Bearsy

Social source share

Poses the question

Me! At a very young 31 biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

ball rolling.

as many know im quite a newie as i only found this scene about 3 years ago and started to get more and more into it and especially the last 2 years ive been getting out more all the time and just absolutely love every minute of it, for me first and formost it was the music and still is but since i found Soul Source its opened up the scene even more to me and have since got to know so many more people in the scene and visited quite a few different venues with the plan of visiting many more in the near future, the people on this scene are very special and when you mix that in with all the quality music and then the different venues with there different music policies make this for me something i wish i had found many years ago, a hell of a lot of it is still very new to me so i get the buzz and enjoyment out of many tunes so many are now maybe getting a bit tired of hearing, being able to go somewhere say 100 miles plus from home on your own and walk in and be greeted by people you have maybe only met once or twice before and also people you never met and feel like you have known them a lifetime is something you just dont get anywhere else in this world these days and its just something special and everyone thats apart of this scene creates that, Am i intimidated by the older brigade :thumbsup: no cos everybody is older than me laugh.gif if anyone feels intimidated and feels they should go with what someone else tells them because thats what they want to do then thats up to them but me im my own person and old enough to make my own decisions on what i like and want to do and how i want to do it, personally i aint met no one yet that has made me feel unwelcome to the scene and when that day comes it wont make a single difference to me cos the scene is far more inportant and bigger than any one person.

would i want to see anything change or be different :( keep at as it is cos for me thats all part of the package.

This Friday im off to Letchworth and have been invited to dinner if i get there early enough by Toby & Mandy at Toby Towers and these smashing people i only met a few months ago and then off to Letchworth to be treated to some top quality soul by some of the best DJs ive not had the privelige of hearing before with some of the best tunes in existence ive not heard before either, does life get any better (apart from at home with the wife and kids of course) yes it does every bloody week thumbup.gif

Bearsy

Spot on what you say about walking in a venue on your own 70% of the time that i started to get out 22 odd years ago i mainly went by myself but as you say people were always spot on A1 , even now when i occasionally venture out it is mainly on my own, you are always garrenteed to bump into a familar face or another 100 unfamiliar faces just as freindly, that my 10 penneth worth :)

Social source share

ball rolling.

as many know im quite a newie as i only found this scene about 3 years ago and started to get more and more into it and especially the last 2 years ive been getting out more all the time and just absolutely love every minute of it, for me first and formost it was the music and still is but since i found Soul Source its opened up the scene even more to me and have since got to know so many more people in the scene and visited quite a few different venues with the plan of visiting many more in the near future, the people on this scene are very special and when you mix that in with all the quality music and then the different venues with there different music policies make this for me something i wish i had found many years ago, a hell of a lot of it is still very new to me so i get the buzz and enjoyment out of many tunes so many are now maybe getting a bit tired of hearing, being able to go somewhere say 100 miles plus from home on your own and walk in and be greeted by people you have maybe only met once or twice before and also people you never met and feel like you have known them a lifetime is something you just dont get anywhere else in this world these days and its just something special and everyone thats apart of this scene creates that, Am i intimidated by the older brigade :D no cos everybody is older than me :thumbsup: if anyone feels intimidated and feels they should go with what someone else tells them because thats what they want to do then thats up to them but me im my own person and old enough to make my own decisions on what i like and want to do and how i want to do it, personally i aint met no one yet that has made me feel unwelcome to the scene and when that day comes it wont make a single difference to me cos the scene is far more inportant and bigger than any one person.

would i want to see anything change or be different :no: keep at as it is cos for me thats all part of the package.

Bearsy

Great post Bearsy thumbsup.gif

Just wish there were 1000's more like you coming onto the Soul scene :)

Not sure if I could cope with e'm all posting on SS at the same time though :(

Social source share

Poses the question

I was fifty on saturday nite and had a 16 year old lad Dj for me. He never put a foot wrong and kept the dance floor full, along with Keith Minshull & Eddy Edmondson. And there he was in the queue later to get his records signed by Tommy Hunt. For me thats fantastic.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Poses the question

James Trouble was born after I visited my first alldayer, and yet he knows shed loads more about collecting than I do.

Git tongue.gif

Social source share

What a great thought

A venue packed full of youngsters dancing there brains out to a bit of Northern

You sat there admiring the back flips etc

And then having the odd one come over and ask

Who this, its f***n great, I gotta get me a copy of that, and then me pretending to be an oracle on soul music, and giving him or her all the info on the said tune

sad.gif

never mind

Wheres me horlicks & hot water bottle

Its way past my bed time

Maitron can you tuck me in please

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Great post Bearsy thumbsup.gif

Just wish there were 1000's more like you coming onto the Soul scene :(

Not sure if I could cope with e'm all posting on SS at the same time though laugh.gif

thanks Cunnie, yeah but i bet they wouldnt go off topic and talk as much crap as me though :thumbsup:

Social source share

What an interesting thread!

Two point spring to mind

1 the post has been running for a day and so far bearsy is the only person who has said he is 'new'(ish) to the scene.

2 With the exception of a few the majority of folk (me included ) are over 40!

I can't help wondering where it's all going to end, and at this rate it looks like it might be sooner than we'd all like. I've been into Northern for 27 years, which scares the bejesus out of me when i think about it but what happenes when we all get too old, tired and dribbly?

It was great reading Bearsy's post, I havn't been at a doo for years but clearly the old spirit remains but who is there to take over?

I like most will enjoy Northern till the end of my days I've no doubt but I've thought about this many times reading some of the debates (arguments); why does this scene not attract young blood or is this the way we or 'they' want it.

If I'm being over analytical i'm sorry. huh.gif

Gary

Social source share

What an interesting thread!

Two point spring to mind

1 the post has been running for a day and so far bearsy is the only person who has said he is 'new'(ish) to the scene.

2 With the exception of a few the majority of folk (me included ) are over 40!

I can't help wondering where it's all going to end, and at this rate it looks like it might be sooner than we'd all like. I've been into Northern for 27 years, which scares the bejesus out of me when i think about it but what happenes when we all get too old, tired and dribbly?

It was great reading Bearsy's post, I havn't been at a doo for years but clearly the old spirit remains but who is there to take over?

I like most will enjoy Northern till the end of my days I've no doubt but I've thought about this many times reading some of the debates (arguments); why does this scene not attract young blood or is this the way we or 'they' want it.

If I'm being over analytical i'm sorry. huh.gif

Gary

I think theres quite a few thinking like that .. There is younger people abroad in their 20's and now early 30's into it .. perhaps the 3rd genaration uk mods are northern souls new blood ?

Social source share

I think theres quite a few thinking like that .. There is younger people abroad in their 20's and now early 30's into it .. perhaps the 3rd genaration uk mods are northern souls new blood ?

I can't help thinking that people of influence (promoters, dj's etc) and perhaps everyone in the scene have a degree of responsibility to widen our horizons and I don't mean in an Ian Levine style. If not then ther's going to be a very few lucky youngsters going about with some MONSTER record collections with no one to share them with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Social source share

I can't help thinking that people of influence (promoters, dj's etc) and perhaps everyone in the scene have a degree of responsibility to widen our horizons and I don't mean in an Ian Levine style. If not then ther's going to be a very few lucky youngsters going about with some MONSTER record collections with no one to share them with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Well if everyone keeps going like Soul Sam has .. the Northern scene has at least another 20 years , modern/funk oldies scene even more ph34r.gif

Social source share

Well if everyone keeps going like Soul Sam has .. the Northern scene has at least another 20 years , modern/funk oldies scene even more ph34r.gif

Perhaps we sould have something similar to the Tupperware scene of the 70's/80's where we can visit people's houses show our wares and drum up some interest...........for wares I mean music. I hear the Tupperware scene was pretty hot in it's day!!!!

wink.gif

gary

Social source share

Gary

Good call Gary!.

What chance have younger people got on this scene when there are still so many older guys trying to make a name for themselves?. So many 'pull rank' and expect their 'service to the scene' or greater knowledge should allow them to take priority over younger and less experienced soulies.

Older soulies usually have more expendable income too, making it easier for them to buy the rarer sounds.

Now this isn't a plug, it's an example -

We've got two of our DJ's under the age of 21 this Friday. Manchester Mods Paul Walker & Vic will be DJ'ing for us in November, both younger than I am. I dont know if I'm still a newby, anyhow me and Tracey will be celebrating our 31st & 33rd birthdays at Bury this month too...

Bury Town Hall - Plenty of young stuff goin' on! LOL biggrin.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

we get a quite few youngsters in at our doos, we dont do any thing to encourage them whistling.gif , if they come they are made to feel welcome by most people, (i do get the odd complaint, "They're dancing funny" or "they're laughing" etc) can't do fook all right :( but to be honest i counldn't care less, we only promote doos to have a good night our selves (selfish i know :thumbsup: ) i did get a young lad in his earley 20's at our last doo come and ask me were he could get more info on other nights/music etc, that makes me smile thumbsup.gif

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Been into northern soul on and off since about 1983 (am 36) . Bought a few tunes along the way. Got more into the scene about 18 months ago and even started doing a bit of djing locally. I dont recall ever going to a soul do and there be any trouble, its always been a friendly scene. I do come across folk who try to tell you what you should be listening to and who pull their faces when certain tunes are played. Surely these 'overplayed' tunes are what got them into northern soul in the first place, and they should remember that just because they might have heard them zillions of times over the years, there will be people like me who havn't tired of them yet as we are newbies to the scene!! I think the scene on the whole is fantastic, even with the chin-strokers and the ones who know best!!

and as for no young people getting into the scene, there is a fourteen year old girl who regularly attends soul dos local to me and she even had a go on the decks on an all girl dj night and did a brill job!

Deb C

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Poses the question

Im 40 next Feb :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was fifty on saturday nite and had a 16 year old lad Dj for me. He never put a foot wrong and kept the dance floor full, along with Keith Minshull & Eddy Edmondson. And there he was in the queue later to get his records signed by Tommy Hunt. For me thats fantastic.

Was this Ben?

If so, is he only 16, thought he was knocking on at least 17 or 18 nowadays biggrin.gif

A nice lad with a proper passion for Northern.....pity he won't get to pop his cherry on this scene (unless it's with someone older than his mum :thumbsup::unsure: )

Social source share

I've said it before and I'll say it again this scene is about passion for the tunes and has nothing to do with how old you are or how long you have been on the scene, time is the only thing that will at some stage catch up with it and then perhaps it will slow down or possibly end.

I'm very much a 60's child coming in bang on 1960, been doing this Northern thing since the summer of 1976....you do the maths....lol met some of the best people on the planet on this scene and I can honstley say I'm very proud to be part of such a diverse unique scene, I love it all! as for getting new or young blood interested I don't really have an answer on this one? but I'm sure many of you know 'Robbo' from Stockport pretty much summed it up to me a few years ago by saying "you either have it, feel it, live it, embrace it, or you don't".....'It' being something very special and inside you and with us all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Bearsy you should meet martin aka Cunnie one day .. hes a soulful disco king too :unsure:

Cheers Simon.

Made me sound like some sort of modern day John freaking Travolta :thumbsup:

Gotta dash.

Just off to get the white suit from the cleaners biggrin.gif

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

My partner is 28 and was on the Spanish soul scene before moving here a few years ago. Even though it too has it's older stalwarts, the Spanish scene is generally a much younger, (and very enthusiastic) one.

Social source share

Was this Ben?

If so, is he only 16, thought he was knocking on at least 17 or 18 nowadays biggrin.gif

A nice lad with a proper passion for Northern.....pity he won't get to pop his cherry on this scene (unless it's with someone older than his mum :thumbsup::unsure: )

LOL - You're a rotten sod!!. :shhh: ..

Do you remember that night that Dave Evo used to run?, I remember he put Josh and Sean Livesey on there when they were both only 13.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Poses the question

I was born in 1970..............and as Mark pointed out.................Its the way we are made! IMO :thumbsup:

We put on our local things now and again in N WALES, and I would say we have an even balance of ages!

From 20s to 60s, thats a great thing IMO. Where else would that happen?

We get Scooterists, Soulfans, Mods, of all ages together having a carry on! :unsure:

We have young lads of 17 coming along that have got into Soul through Scooters recently, and old Wigan boys n girls that have been into Soul music for years! A right mixed bunch.......but a great bunch thumbsup.gif

Mossy

Social source share

Was this Ben?

If so, is he only 16, thought he was knocking on at least 17 or 18 nowadays :D

A nice lad with a proper passion for Northern.....pity he won't get to pop his cherry on this scene (unless it's with someone older than his mum :thumbsup::shhh: )

Hi Mace

Yes mate it was Ben !!

I thought he was only 16 but he is under 18 cause he can't get served at the bar :lol::lol::lol:

He did a cracking job for me on saturday, and yes mate he has got passion for Northern.

I can't say for sure if he's lost his cherry yet :unsure:ohmy.gif but he will kill if he reads this :lol::lol:

Social source share

Hi Mace

Yes mate it was Ben !!

I thought he was only 16 but he is under 18 cause he can't get served at the bar laugh.gif:shhh::lol:

He did a cracking job for me on saturday, and yes mate he has got passion for Northern.

I can't say for sure if he's lost his cherry yet :thumbsup::unsure: but he will kill if he reads this :lol::lol:

I have to mention young Callum Turner who I think is 16/17 place played a blinding spot in the modern room at the last Cleethorpes pier mini nighter, when he aint djaying hes dancing. Laura Dixon 17 who got a residency on the decksat Sam Moores place, same as Cal, when she aint spinning shes dancing, same as little miss soul Rosie whos 12 and can spin a set 2nd to none, no they arent a novelty factor just youngsters who perhaps, for now, are into it big time and hope it makes that good an impression on them they adopt it for life just like us old gits :lol:

Social source share

My partner is 28 and was on the Spanish soul scene before moving here a few years ago. Even though it too has it's older stalwarts, the Spanish scene is generally a much younger, (and very enthusiastic) one.

Isn't it just - it's a brilliant scene they have over there.

Social source share

Guest vic-shot

I'm 30 but have been into it for 15 odd years in one way or another with the mod side first,but allways went to soul clubs and loved it and now just the northern dos really.I don't get out to many dos in the UK at the moment as I'm living in Italy and the sceen here in pretty poor,but I'm moving back in about March so hopefully will be out as much as possible then.Cant wait!!

Social source share

I'm 27 and been into it for about five or so years after the mod scene......absolutely can't get enough of rare soul records....high art imho....can't actually believe how good the sounds are sometimes.

Can't imagine wanting to devote any time or energy to anything else either when this is so good :thumbsup:

With me to stay now I think for good or bad! cool.gif:unsure:

As for ages on the scene, I feel very lucky that I can count people in their 40s and 50s as some of my very best mates alongside people of my own age and younger......we all love and cherish the same thing and really the age difference means nothing to me (apart from the fact you codgers have been able to stock up on loads of good records when they were cheap) wink.gif

ps. Went to Madrid in May for the weekender, its absolutely brilliant the scene there, the people are fantastic, the knowledge and the passion for the records is brilliant.....and some superb DJs too....will try to go back every year now.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

I think the next generation will come via another mod revival as it offers the whole package, clothes, style, gangs, image, dancing, etc etc. As before what goes around comes around.

As before once youve got the bug, youve got the bug.

Some offspring who have been forced to hear NS from birth will carry it forward, but to get new blood in numbers (14 -18 year olds) there has to be a complete package just like there was 30 -35 years ago.

Not sure how 14 year olds and 65 year olds will mix. I remember going to Cleggy WG in 76 and thinking Soul Sam was ancient, and he must have 30 something.

Ed

Social source share

Perhaps we sould have something similar to the Tupperware scene of the 70's/80's where we can visit people's houses show our wares and drum up some interest...........for wares I mean music. I hear the Tupperware scene was pretty hot in it's day!!!!

:unsure:

gary

Yes - throw in some fondue and we're onto a winner!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Good call Gary!.

What chance have younger people got on this scene when there are still so many older guys trying to make a name for themselves?. So many 'pull rank' and expect their 'service to the scene' or greater knowledge should allow them to take priority over younger and less experienced soulies.

Older soulies usually have more expendable income too, making it easier for them to buy the rarer sounds.

Now this isn't a plug, it's an example -

We've got two of our DJ's under the age of 21 this Friday. Manchester Mods Paul Walker & Vic will be DJ'ing for us in November, both younger than I am. I dont know if I'm still a newby, anyhow me and Tracey will be celebrating our 31st & 33rd birthdays at Bury this month too...

Bury Town Hall - Plenty of young stuff goin' on! LOL :wicked:

Jayne.x.

That certainly is encouraging! 31 and 33 is only old if you add them together!!

gary

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Been into The soul scene properley for about 4/5 years or so (im 27). Been going to the 100 club and various other london do's along with prestatayn and cleethorpes weekenders. Have met some great people and made some real friends, and killed millions of braincells.

I think once it gets into to your blood there is no going back.

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Been into The soul scene properley for about 4/5 years or so (im 27). Been going to the 100 club and various other london do's along with prestatayn and cleethorpes weekenders. Have met some great people and made some real friends, and killed millions of braincells.

I think once it gets into to your blood there is no going back.

Hiya

Met you briefly at Cleethorpes - how's the driving instruction going? Not managed to locate you a cheap copy of "Brothers of Soul" - I'd be grateful "on Boo" yet but will keep looking - you probably won't remember me, due to brain cell damage :) . The future of the scene is perfectly safe and lies with people like you plus other youngsters I have met who love the music, are willing to respect their elders and learn from more experienced soulies as we have all done in our time (unlike the odd newbie who claim that they are the saviours of our scene, when nothing could be further from the truth, because they have no soul, don't love the music and just don't get what it's all about.)

Paul

Edited by Paul Brennan
Social source share

So have you just got into Soul in the last few years and ventured out to some events .. I'm sure Bearsy can start the ball rolling here , his enthusiasm knows no bounds :unsure:

ATB

Simon M

Just got into this Northern Soul thing.......... really liked it at first.............loads of fun and ace people.......Quality vintage tunes.................then i bought "Northern Soul Monsters 07"

Now you can all f..ck off.................Back to Techno and Jungle music for me !!! :(

only joking :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Hiya

Met you briefly at Cleethorpes - how's the driving instruction going? Not managed to locate you a cheap copy of "Brothers of Soul" - I'd be grateful "on Boo" yet but will keep looking - you probably won't remember me, due to brain cell damage :( . The future of the scene is perfectly safe and lies with people like you plus other youngsters I have met who love the music, are willing to respect their elders and learn from more experienced soulies as we have all done in our time (unlike the odd newbie who claim that they are the saviours of our scene, when nothing could be further from the truth, because they have no soul, don't love the music and just don't get what it's all about.)

Paul

Hi Paul,

yeah i remember meeting you outside having a ciggie at cleethorpes, still have a few brain cells hanging about. hopefully catch up again soon!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I have to mention young Callum Turner who I think is 16/17 place played a blinding spot in the modern room at the last Cleethorpes pier mini nighter, when he aint djaying hes dancing. Laura Dixon 17 who got a residency on the decksat Sam Moores place, same as Cal, when she aint spinning shes dancing, same as little miss soul Rosie whos 12 and can spin a set 2nd to none, no they arent a novelty factor just youngsters who perhaps, for now, are into it big time and hope it makes that good an impression on them they adopt it for life just like us old gits :(

I'm all for new blood on the scene, but this is a joke, surely?? 12? spinning a set? come on, get real!

I could go round to 'phillydogs' house, show his 12yr old daughter how to operate the decks, and give her a playlist and my playbox. She would then play a blinding set, but why??? And calling her "little miss soul"! it's so sickeningly,cringingly twee! I just get visions of these pushy parents that shove their little darlings 

into 'talent contests' just to vicariously fulfil their own failed ambitions.. New blood yes, but it's an insult to those that have built up collections over many years,and never get a spot, to have a 12 year old DJ'ing. Northern soul at its sickest and most naff, IMHO.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert