Know Your Limits

mischief

:lol:

Afternoon all I was just reading Jo's Wallace's wants "Packin UP" and her and Linda are having a bit of an on line chat..

and I was going to but in, but thought i'd do it here so I can get other peoples views..

I'm sure a few of us on here have set ourselves price limits on records.. a few years a go.. not many my limit was £50 then I bought a copy of the Metros "since I found My Baby" for £85 this then pushed my limit up to a £100.. then a coouple of years ago I bought the Showmen "The Wrong Goirl Of John Mint Demo for £150 and a copy of Emporer of my baby's heart.. can't remeber the price now.. and i've had a few round the £150 mark..

Any way this week i've bought 2 records costing £200 each..

and i was wondering have you always kept a limit with the odd stray like me... or do you find yourself being pushed mentally because people around you are buying bigger tunes and you feel like you are being left behind..

The reason I ask this is I always have felt anyone with money can buy a blinding box of tunes.. but with less money you have to build a box of tunes.

so don't want to know about your personnal finances just wondered if you had a limit.. do you sometimes feel that you need to buy bigger tunes cause other people do or like me do you just build on your box of tunes?

Hope thats clear :ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Afternoon all I was just reading Jo's Wallace's wants "Packin UP" and her and Linda are having a bit of an on line chat..

and I was going to but in, but thought i'd do it here so I can get other peoples views..

I'm sure a few of us on here have set ourselves price limits on records.. a few years a go.. not many my limit was £50 then I bought a copy of the Metros "since I found My Baby" for £85 this then pushed my limit up to a £100.. then a coouple of years ago I bought the Showmen "The Wrong Goirl Of John Mint Demo for £150 and a copy of Emporer of my baby's heart.. can't remeber the price now.. and i've had a few round the £150 mark..

and i was wondering have you always kept a limit with the odd stray like me... or do you find yourself being pushed mentally because people around you are buying bigger tunes and you feel like you are being left behind..

The reason I ask this is I always have felt anyone with money can buy a blinding box of tunes.. but with less money you have to build a box of tunes.

so don't want to know about your personnal finances just wondered if you had a limit.. do you sometimes feel that you need to buy bigger tunes cause other people do or like me do you just build on your box of tunes?

Interesting debate this. I don't have a limit as such but never buy records (or rarely) at the market rate. Dealers turn up copies they can profit on if they sell them at the market rate (or even cheaper if you take PeteS's prices). So I try to aquire such tunes missing out the middle man if you like.

I, as I guess most people on here, have a limited fund to buy with and don't like selling so I can't afford to buy the latest big thing and any way the list of records I want is massive so there's always something I can find to suit my pocket. Today I have ordered five M- 45's and shelled out $97 including postage the 'book' value of these five is £300+. Even if none of them go big in future I've had value and bought 5 records I wanted.

We just have to work harder and look harder to get value now.

Social source share

Hi Mischief,

I think that its subjective to what you want to do. I still buy the cheapies that I like and occasionally I will push the boat out to obtain a wants list item;

Kurt Harris, Cookie Jackson, Ray Pollard etc.

Thing is though there will always be the ellusive records and its up to each individual to pay what they feel is right. So although limits, I suppose, do grow with the obession - some folk will always have that little bit wider tolerance of hefty price tags or the lack of worry about paying them as they have to have a certain track. ( do we know any one like that :lol: )

In some ways as well it depends on if you are a record keeper or you buy them hug them and sell them on.

I like to keep records and wont get castrated so don't have enough sheckles to get all my pricey wants at the moment. Who'd have kids.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hi Paul

as you know we chatted before about this and to be honest i dont have much money to buy tunes (£120 a month) but i duck and dive and do what ever it takes to earn a few extra quid to help buy new tunes, my want list is purely a want list but i have a couple that i just got to have but they aint cheap, i would like to say im building a collection and wish all the tunes i wanted was cheapies £10/20 ish but they aint which then means you have to obvioulsy have to pay more to get a want but they take a lot longer to find and then to be able to afford, i right off the money as soon as i pay for a record so the value means nothing to me wether its cheap or as in my case i paid £400 at most for one. the buzz is not just finding the tune you want or a tune you hear and like its also scamming the money together to get it, ive even been selling some to get a must want so its not easy and its never ending so for me everytime a tunes drops on the door mat its a great day, i also get just as much enjoyment out of a £10 record when it drops through the door as say a £100+ record. once they are in the collection they are all just another peice of magic that i now own.

price dont garauntee quality but quality aint always expensive either.

Bearsy

Social source share

I have alway's simply bought what l like if I have the funds and the means to do it and of course if the records are available...lol with prices the way they are now I think many of us swap, trade, sell and build our collections and play boxes in this way, I never judge a collection on value as quality of records has far more importance to me than the rarity aspect. I think you can get some pretty tasty records nice and cheap, it's when you are chasing the in-demanders and big ticket items where the fun starts, if I'm pushed I'll draw the line at £500.00 that's about top end but I've not done that in a few years to be honest as most of the really top wants of mine are so far out of my reach price wise, well I'm never gonna get them basically, so I tend to stick with what I have and tweek and adjust, add, swap, trade as I said and do it that way rather than breaking the bank all the time.

What I have been doing of late is selling a couple of bits and bobs to put towards a few nice tunes for the play box which works for me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Paul

as you know we chatted before about this and to be honest i dont have much money to buy tunes (£120 a month) but i duck and dive and do what ever it takes to earn a few extra quid to help buy new tunes, my want list is purely a want list but i have a couple that i just got to have but they aint cheap, i would like to say im building a collection and wish all the tunes i wanted was cheapies £10/20 ish but they aint which then means you have to obvioulsy have to pay more to get a want but they take a lot longer to find and then to be able to afford, i right off the money as soon as i pay for a record so the value means nothing to me wether its cheap or as in my case i paid £400 at most for one. the buzz is not just finding the tune you want or a tune you hear and like its also scamming the money together to get it, ive even been selling some to get a must want so its not easy and its never ending so for me everytime a tunes drops on the door mat its a great day, i also get just as much enjoyment out of a £10 record when it drops through the door as say a £100+ record. once they are in the collection they are all just another peice of magic that i now own.

price dont garauntee quality but quality aint always expensive either.

Bearsy

Bearsy I think as you get more and more big money tunes on that wants list , you will stop buying cheaper stuff , coz you will want the funds kept safe for the big money wants ...when and if they appear :ohmy: I binned my wants list years ago , no regrets :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I never judge a collection on value as quality of records has far more importance to me than the rarity aspect

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

See thats how I see it, but I see some dj's showing off thier prize buys and it did make me wonder how people felt..

:ohmy:

Social source share

Bearsy I think as you get more and more big money tunes on that wants list , you will stop buying cheaper stuff , coz you will want the funds kept save for the big money wants ...when and if they appear :ohmy: I binned my wants list years ago , no regrets

isn't a wants list every thing you havn't got :lol:

Social source share

Who'd have kids.

I've had some of my records longer than the kids and the oldest is 24 but if I needed to choose the records would go. When the kids were young and I couldn't afford to buy I didn't. There only a couple of times I've felt really selfish when shelling out for tunes that I shouldn't have bought (Jimmy Burns and Hamilton Movement) at the time but many more times I've passed up 'bargains' as at the time I had more important things to buy (school uniforms etc.) I remember truning down a Groovettes for £50 as I had to pay for a school trip to Germany.

Record collecting is serious and an obsession but lets keep it in perspective. :ohmy:

Social source share

This is avery interesting debate.

In the last few years I have been short of cash and bought and sold records to survive.

I kept the records I really liked to build avery modest collection- some good tunes and some not so good but hey I worked hard for it!

I recently came into to some money and gues what apart from an acetate I paid £200 for I havnt bought anything big. The reason is Im too scared to start shelling out for records that might turn up in quantity at any moment even If I love them to bits and to be honest I like the idea of buying something for $10 selling it for £10 and then buying a record for that same tenner. You get a great deal of satisfaction out of it. So my limit is a psychological one rather than monetary.

Regards Steve

Social source share

I've had some of my records longer than the kids and the oldest is 24 but if I needed to choose the records would go. When the kids were young and I couldn't afford to buy I didn't. There only a couple of times I've felt really selfish when shelling out for tunes that I shouldn't have bought (Jimmy Burns and Hamilton Movement) at the time but many more times I've passed up 'bargains' as at the time I had more important things to buy (school uniforms etc.) I remember truning down a Groovettes for £50 as I had to pay for a school trip to Germany.

Record collecting is serious and an obsession but lets keep it in perspective. :ohmy:

True words, sometimes its about what you don't buy and why. I let Roosevelt Grier go the other night as I couldn't justify the money at the time - only £75 but not the right time.

Social source share

See thats how I see it, but I see some dj's showing off thier prize buys and it did make me wonder how people felt..

I think it depends on how you view your own collection? sometimes I look and think I wish i still had x,y,z records or I wish I had that when I hear a tune played out somewhere by a DJ, it's nice to have a solid box of top tunes when DJ'ing and if it gives some DJ's/collectors as buzz that they have a quality well respected box of records then that's cool....I certainly play records for people to enjoy rather than for any adulation but that sometimes comes from others rather than the person playing them?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy I think as you get more and more big money tunes on that wants list , you will stop buying cheaper stuff , coz you will want the funds kept save for the big money wants ...when and if they appear :ohmy: I binned my wants list years ago , no regrets

Your right Simon but thats why i aint got my bigger price wants cos i keep spending me money on the cheapies as i cant let them go as i want them too, if money was no object i would get my bigger wants but like Mark said some i will never get simply because they are so expensive or just dog rare.

you should never stop dreaming of getting them wants though as one day you just might get one,

whats the average price of a 200 play box, anyone got an idea of theirs, mine about £30/40 i reckon :lol:

Social source share

Mmmm.... interesting question.... don't really have a "limit" I suppose....

Quite simply put.... as much as I'm prepared to pay for something....

Irrespective of guide book prices, hype, etc., if I'm happy with the "deal" that's it.... I'm sorted.... on to the next one....

A want is a want so if it seems I got it cheaper.... great.... if I've gone a little above what "others" thought it should be.... also great as it's me paying at the end of the day....

It's the old cliche.... a "wanted" record is only worth as much as your prepared to pay no matter how much higher or lower other people try to tell you it "should have been" :ohmy: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

put me in you pocket - jeanette harper?

That's a good example probably books at over £150 and it's not a real favourite of mine and if I had it I'd never play it out. But if I saw one for the right price and had the ready cash I'd buy it. So I guess if the price was right I'd rather own it than not.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me but I know what I mean :ohmy:

Social source share

Your right Simon but thats why i aint got my bigger price wants cos i keep spending me money on the cheapies as i cant let them go as i want them too, if money was no object i would get my bigger wants but like Mark said some i will never get simply because they are so expensive or just dog rare.

you should never stop dreaming of getting them wants though as one day you just might get one,

whats the average price of a 200 play box, anyone got an idea of theirs, mine about £30/40 i reckon :lol:

Well ya never know what you might get cheap on the bay but .. I'd rather have a steady flow of good cd's 12's and 7's then wait for a a dozen $$$ records a year if that !! Im packing a box , at the mo , everything is above £250 so far , :ohmy:

Social source share

Mmmm.... interesting question.... don't really have a "limit" I suppose....

Quite simply put.... as much as I'm prepared to pay for something....

Irrespective of guide book prices, hype, etc., if I'm happy with the "deal" that's it.... I'm sorted.... on to the next one....

A want is a want so if it seems I got it cheaper.... great.... if I've gone a little above what "others" thought it should be.... also great as it's me paying at the end of the day....

It's the old cliche.... a "wanted" record is only worth as much as your prepared to pay no matter how much higher or lower other people try to tell you it "should have been" :ohmy: ....

Spot on Mark, the times I've sold things in the past to then be told after the fact that "oh I would have given you more for that" as long as you cover how much you have invested in the record, current inflation/value of the tune and or a little kick back on top then as you say ....done deal...record collecting don't you just love it??

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

That's a good example probably books at over £150 and it's not a real favourite of mine and if I had it I'd never play it out. But if I saw one for the right price and had the ready cash I'd buy it. So I guess if the price was right I'd rather own it than not.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me but I know what I mean :ohmy:

I do the same sometimes :lol:

Social source share

Record buying should be nothing to do with prices just purchasing the tunes you personally like.

I myself haven't got a limit, the most i've paid was £850 but that was for a genuinely rare record & was my holy grail, although some peope do think it's clever to pay that sort of money because they think it impresses people.

I do think also you should only buy what you can afford, i'm amazed some peeps put themselves in serious debt to buy a collection.

Simon

Social source share

i added mine up once quite frightening and made the mistake of telling the other half... :ohmy:

A mate once said to me would you take £x for your play box if someone offered it you. I immediately said "damn right" until I started to tot up the records in there very soon was way past the £x figure.

Even I was suprised

Social source share

A mate once said to me would you take £x for your play box if someone offered it you. I immediately said "damn right" until I started to tot up the records in there very soon was way past the £x figure.

Even I was suprised

That's scary stuff Ged, even with my little box of pressings I would have no problem in raising the funds for a new Ironing Board for Jacqui and maybe a week at the Seaside...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The most i've ever paid is about £250, but i haven't paid much above £100 for a long time.

I've realised that i can put together a nice personal collection of, in my case, underplayed and rarely played cheapies for a lot less than a collection of big sounds would cost me. I've been reading the monster cheapies thread and i'm really encouraged that lots of them i own and have considered putting together as a pretty good set with nothing above £30 in it.

I don't buy big stuff i hear out any more, i buy cheap rarely played quality in the hope that if i ever get any DJ gigs i'll be a lot different from the other DJs. I think Tim Brown or somebody said that if he put 25 big sounds in order at the front of his playbox anybody could DJ.

Personally i'd rather hear a set of 25 from the '£20 monsters' thread than all the current over played big sounds. On the other hand i could stay at home and play them, but i wouldn't be able to dance to them in a big room mind you.

I'm probably coming across as a sad wannabe DJ (yet another) but the only reason is that i'd like to hear and share with people all the thousands of superb sounds that have been left on the shelf for years and never get an airing these days.

So a personal collection (and playbox) and cheap but quality rarely-played sounds for me every time.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

That's scary stuff Ged, even with my little box of pressings I would have no problem in raising the funds for a new Ironing Board for Jacqui and maybe a week at the Seaside...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

:ohmy::lol::lol:

Ironing board on a pleasure cruiser and week in Barbados on your box no problemo Mark

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Record buying should be nothing to do with prices just purchasing the tunes you personally like.

Simon

Absolutely spot on Simon. :ohmy:

Social source share

i spend whatever i have at the time i see a record i want to get the record, depending how badly i want it. if that helps :ohmy:

i do think a lot of the fun has gone out of collecting thanks to the internet... too easy to get the records now, all but the really rare few. if you have the money and want to spend it, you could build up a brilliant collection in six months just by watching ebay, manship and this site.

best thing of all is spending a few quid on something you don't know and finding out it's brilliant.

Social source share

Spot on Mark, the times I've sold things in the past to then be told after the fact that "oh I would have given you more for that" as long as you cover how much you have invested in the record, current inflation/value of the tune and or a little kick back on top then as you say ....done deal...record collecting don't you just love it??

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

A very true comment Mark....

One prime example for me was an issue of Morris Chestnut I let go.... "I wish I'd have known" was what I got prior to the self same comment you state :lol: .... until I reminded them I'd mentioned it 4-5 weeks earlier :lol: ....

Back on topic re limits.... todays prices are in no way reflective of prices from years ago so my "biggest" gripe is at the comments you get from people you know/see and on sales lists on here like "great record, I only paid such and such for it" :ohmy::lol: .... so annoying as I suspect we can all say that on records we have.... so quite rightly you mention inflation and value....

The fact will always remain that the more you earn the more you spend.... that was exactly the same "back in the day"....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

I have no limit and always buy whatever I like.

Fortunately, in the main, nobody else wants the records I buy... at the time I'm buying 'em... so its a fairly inexpensive exercise for me.

Best tip I can give is to never chase other DJ's titles or 'known' tunes.

And Simon... tut tut.

£250 min items in your playbox. Just Shocking! :lol:

Always make room for high quality cheapies.

If you stick with 'em they'll become pricey through demand.

Any fool can buy a £300 record for £300.

The trick is to get em cheap and make 'em big... and pricey!

Always works for me (and many other DJ's if truth's known) :ohmy: .

Sean

Social source share

A very true comment Mark....

One prime example for me was an issue of Morris Chestnut I let go.... "I wish I'd have known" was what I got prior to the self same comment you state :lol: .... until I reminded them I'd mentioned it 4-5 weeks earlier :lol: ....

Back on topic re limits.... todays prices are in no way reflective of prices from years ago so my "biggest" gripe is at the comments you get from people see know/see and on sales lists on here like "great record, I only paid such and such for it" :ohmy::lol: .... so annoying as I suspect we can all say that on records we have.... so quite rightly you mention inflation and value....

The fact will always remain that the more you earn the more you spend....

And very true of tunes we have all let go or pass through our hands over the years...if we knew then what we know now kind of thing...what's done is done, in the past so move on and have the odd cry now and agiain when you see something listed for two or three grand that you sold for pennies...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

well been married to a record collector for over 30 years, and I cant begin to tell you how many places I have trawled through, how many hours spent, time , money, its almost an obsession, but we all have to remember, that its OK saying my box is worth such and such amount of money, but really, will anybody ever get back their investment, ,we have sold a couple of collections in past years, to help pay the mortgage, but it was a hard slog, so I personally tend to go for stuff a big collector would not bother with, like the underplayed stuff, and I keep on saying it over and over again, there is a lot of it out there, if you look, some great tunes to be had, and cheap, at the other end of the spectrum, woody tends to go for the bigger stuff, but will not pay to big bucks,because we cant afford to, and does spend alot of time trawling the internet, and his contacts, and does find big tunes, but at a cheaper cost, anybody can have a big collection if they have the money, but I think it takes a bit more than that, it takes, a certain amount of good knowledge , integrity, and sheer hard work, to build up a really good, bang on set of tunes, and not always the current biggies, you always need to think ahead, what gonna be a great tune, next month, next year, and that takes skill,but at the same time, yes as guilty as anyone, for skinting ourselves out, to buy something fantastic, like I said, it becomes an obsession.are we all mad or what?

Social source share

And Simon... tut tut.

£250 min items in your playbox. Just Shocking! :ohmy:

Can i just make clear that was Simon M that said that & not me!

Simon :lol:

Social source share

Can i just make clear that was Simon M that said that & not me!

Simon :lol:

hahahha , its just happend like that so far Sean .. now theres a couple , ive not seen for sale since I bought em off Sam 1984 , in there ... so no price on them :ohmy: , .. .. Ok Ive just put Sun "Just a minute of your time" in thats under a tenner still I hope .. :lol:

Social source share

hahahha , its just happend like that so far Sean .. now theres a couple , ive not seen for sale since I bought em off Sam 1984 , in there ... so no price on them :lol: , .. .. Ok Ive just put Sun "Just a minute of your time" in thats under a tenner still I hope .. :lol:

I believe you Simon!

You'd be one of the last people I'd expect to see with a box full of 'rare for rare sakes'!

Social source share

The most i've ever paid is about £250, but i haven't paid much above £100 for a long time.

I've realised that i can put together a nice personal collection of, in my case, underplayed and rarely played cheapies for a lot less than a collection of big sounds would cost me. I've been reading the monster cheapies thread and i'm really encouraged that lots of them i own and have considered putting together as a pretty good set with nothing above £30 in it.

I don't buy big stuff i hear out any more, i buy cheap rarely played quality in the hope that if i ever get any DJ gigs i'll be a lot different from the other DJs. I think Tim Brown or somebody said that if he put 25 big sounds in order at the front of his playbox anybody could DJ.

Personally i'd rather hear a set of 25 from the '£20 monsters' thread than all the current over played big sounds. On the other hand i could stay at home and play them, but i wouldn't be able to dance to them in a big room mind you.

I'm probably coming across as a sad wannabe DJ (yet another) but the only reason is that i'd like to hear and share with people all the thousands of superb sounds that have been left on the shelf for years and never get an airing these days.

So a personal collection (and playbox) and cheap but quality rarely-played sounds for me every time.

Hope this makes sense.

I agree with you. I can't justify spending large amounts of cash although if i was determined i probably could aford it. For me there is a great deal of fun to be had (and satisfaction) in scouring the planet for "£20 monsters". It brings the excitement back into 'Discovering' tunes you're not familiar with and gives me a huge smile when I find such tunes. After years of not buying it's great fun buying tunes that i like at reasonable prices and building a collection of tunes that i want to play as opposed to spending huge amounts trying to have the latest big thing.

Hope this also makes sense!!??

Gary

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Hi Mischief.

My limit many years ago was about £10-£15...The more ya hear... the more you want...the more you buy.

It's a sickness that creeps up on you very slowly....and holds you very tight.

I'm no angel though...If I found myself in a higher income bracket....or If I was to 'come into money' ...I have no doubt, I would be buying dearer records, but they would still be semi and unknowns, not just in the hope of a bargain, but because thats what I prefer to collect

I have to say though.....there are one or two records on my wants list that are the exception, as long as I did'nt feel I was being conned over the price...I would find the money to buy them, one way or another.

Linda

Social source share

wink.gif

Hope thats clear :unsure:

Shop at Netto..........feed the kids their baked beans. 27 p a tin ...........use Netto washing up liquid.........it dosn't work very well, its 15 p a bottle and it keeps the missus in the kitchen for ages longer than Fairy! :lol:

Get the School uniforms from Somerfield................a Banger car for her from the auction!!!

Get an Electric, Gas, Water meter - all pre pay cards - then give the cards to the missus !!!! It will always run out when you are at work anyway :lol:

Quietly re-morgage :lol:

And most Importantly..............get her out to work :lol: , Stick the kids in the after school club and claim the money back of the goverment :lol:

Then tell your Farther in law how you are struggling, "times are really hard, they have cut the overtime again (always works" :lol: )

Then......and only then...........stay up on the computer all night, drinking stella..... smoking weed ..... and spending ridiculous amounts of money (which no one even knows you have got) on quality vinyl !!! :(

No ...No.....No No No No.... No No No No ...THERES NO LIMITS!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert