The Dome & The Boys

Wiganer1

Just down loaded that picture of the Dome and can't find it in my Mac but found my playlist when I did a warm up spot.

Date on the file is 29/03/04

1 THE MARROITS TELL IT LIKE IT IS ABC.

2 UNTOUCHABLES RASING' SUGAR CAIN MADISON.

3 LIZ VERDI THINK IT OVER COLOMBIA. DJ

4 HERMAN GRIFFIN DREAM GIRL MERCUARY.

5 LITTLE JOE ROYAL MAMA DIDN'T RAISE NO FOOLS TOLLIE. DJ.

6 JACKIE & THE TONNETTES YOU GOT TO CHOOSE WHEELS CITY.

7 ACCENTS WHO YOU GONNA LOVE ONEDERFUL.

8 IMPACTS PIGTAILS DCP. DJ.

9 MONTCLAIRS HEY YOU ARCH.

10 ANNABEL FOX LONLEY GIRL SATIN. DJ.

11 MARJAYS FIND A WAY OUT MAGIC TOUCH.

12 BOBBY COLMAN PLEASURE GIRL BOUNTY. DJ.

13 BOBBY MARCHAN FUNNY STYLE DIAL. DJ.

14 JAMES COIT BLACK POWER PHOOF. DJ.

15 INSPARATIONS YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND MIDAS.

16 JACK MONTGOMERY DO YOU BELIEVE IT SCEPTER

17 MOSES DILLARD I'LL PAY THE PRICE MARK V.

18 ARTHER ALEXANDER KEEP HER GUESSIN DOT

19 COURT DAVIS TRY TO THINK EAST COAST.

20 THE DEADBEATS NO SECOND CHANCE STRATA

21 CHAUMONTS NOW YOU'VE GONE BAYSOUND.

22 ROCK CANDY ALONE WITH NO LOVE DONTEE . DJ.

How can I scatch my name on the picture I am behind Simsy

Edited by Prophonics 2026
Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Had some great nights at the Dome, going up on the coach, meeting up with Mark George for the first time in years at Wetherspoons in Victoria then onto the tube, staying over chez Flynn and getting very little sleep...Paul O'B and I drove up a few times after that, have to say some of those memories rank with the best, including driving back over the Cotswolds just as it got light on a summer morning with a pile of vinyl purchases on the back seat, then doing my old niter habit of cleaning them all up and playing them before trying to get to sleep :) ...priceless...

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Ooo-err! That looks like me with Matt & Mike (our esteemed administrator) and someone else, my missus says it is anyway!

Cheers

Paul

Can't be you Paul - the shirt's not loud enough :)

Social source share

Can't be you Paul - the shirt's not loud enough :lol:

You're probably right, on looking again it seems that the person I thought was me got a tenner out of his pocket ..... in front of people!

Jock Mitchell! (As John Weston would say)

Mind you it disappeared pretty quick too, Helen thought I was doing some sort of conjuring trick :)

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

You're probably right, on looking again it seems that the person I thought was me got a tenner out of his pocket ..... in front of people!

Jock Mitchell! (As John Weston would say)

Mind you it disappeared pretty quick too, Helen thought I was doing some sort of conjuring trick :)

Helen's normally a very good judge of character :lol:

Social source share

Definately one of the best places i've ever been, the people, the atmosphere, the totally across the board music, and who can forget the dancefloor :lol: nearly broke my neck several times. Matt Jahans had time for everybody, the DJs would talk music with you while they worked, it was a real old fashioned 'soul club' atmosphere the sort of thing i could imagine going on the 60s.

The thing i liked about the Dome was seeing people i hadn't met before, Simon Bridger, Martin Thompson, Andy Faulkner, Sue P. I don't think i've seen any of them since the Dome ended (although most are on here) because the furthest south i seem to go these days is Worcester, which is a shame :lol:

Isn't Dave Flynn in Japan now and Matt Jahans went to Australia?

Social source share

OOPs sorry for last non post.

would just like to say that i went twice to the Dome whilst in the uk from Aussie and it was one of the best nights i have visited in years in the UK ; besides the 100 club of course , great f**k off speakers , great choice of tunes (ie not the run off the mill same old tunes) the highlight for me was Irish Gregs sets.

A man with imagination ... met some old mates and new ones.on these few occasions visiting ..when i think of UK fond memories for great nights this crappy old venue for me shines through every time !! well done all involved and thanks for the memories....

pete m

Social source share

Went a few times whilst i was working down in Essex with Rob Messer and his wife, also went with Paul Macnamara had some great night's, good memory's and bad head's the next day. Yeah Great times :lol::wicked:

Yeah I think the bad heads was due to them never cleaning the pipes, I always had a headache after the Dome, mind you I did get slightly tipsy on occasion (but not every time :lol: ) But yes great times & without doubt my favourite night anywhere since getting back on the scene 8 years ago - cheers fellers

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

A few flyers from the first year

post-1175-1187114971_thumb.jpg

post-1175-1187115003_thumb.jpg

post-1175-1187115026_thumb.jpg

Trying to work out who DJed when for Flynn's site, was that 28 Jan 2000 Dave? And 8 October which year? Only got 1999 in Shoreditch as an October date. My head hurts, Flynn has sent me a spreadsheet.

Social source share

Trying to work out who DJed when for Flynn's site, was that 28 Jan 2000 Dave? And 8 October which year? Only got 1999 in Shoreditch as an October date. My head hurts, Flynn has sent me a spreadsheet.

The colour flyer was deffo the first event at the Dome, because I was honoured to be booked for the first one, the second flyer was in between the two because the third one is for the first anniversary in November and the Christmas party in December. Now assuming I haven't mis-filed the Dome flyers by a year, the first one is October 1999, the second January 2000, and the third November / December 2000. So I think you may be wrong with your Shoreditch October 1999 date.

Funnily enough I thought I'd just check to see if the website still existed. It doesn't. and the domain name is now being used as

M(ichael)J(ackson)promotions.com

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The colour flyer was deffo the first event at the Dome, because I was honoured to be booked for the first one, the second flyer was in between the two because the third one is for the first anniversary in November and the Christmas party in December. Now assuming I haven't mis-filed the Dome flyers by a year, the first one is October 1999, the second January 2000, and the third November / December 2000. So I think you may be wrong with your Shoreditch October 1999 date.

Funnily enough I thought I'd just check to see if the website still existed. It doesn't. and the domain name is now being used as

M(ichael)J(ackson)promotions.com

Thanks, just noticed that Flynny has got September and October reversed so that might explain it, there is some more information frmo the later period here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040923223123/...olsoulclub.com/

Social source share

Thanks, just noticed that Flynny has got September and October reversed so that might explain it, there is some more information frmo the later period here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040923223123/...olsoulclub.com/

That's interesting because in the CSC story Alan states that the first night was 24th November 1999. Now I know I DJ'ed at the first one, and can't imagine how I have a flyer for October 1999 if that was the wrong month. I'm still convinced that the first night was the one on the flyer, October 1999.

Right I've been and dug out Issue 40 of SKM. The first night was definitely the 8th October, 1999 because I wrote a review of the night and referred to it being the first one at the venue.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

I remember going to the first night, Dean Parish was supposed to be on but it got cancelled, was this the mystery of the nights.

That was before Matt teamed up with CSC. He tried to put Dean Courtney on (Don't think Dean Parrish had been found then), but that fell through which left him with the venue, and CS joined him. That's why it was MJ Promotions and CSC.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

That's interesting because in the CSC story Alan states that the first night was 24th November 1999. Now I know I DJ'ed at the first one, and can't imagine how I have a flyer for October 1999 if that was the wrong month. I'm still convinced that the first night was the one on the flyer, October 1999.

Right I've been and dug out Issue 40 of SKM. The first night was definitely the 8th October, 1999 because I wrote a review of the night and referred to it being the first one at the venue.

I forgot to ask Greg, he'll remember. Dave's list has a March and a September 1999 on it. Jo Wallace as the guest in September at the Bar (Jo?) I went to the second night at the Dome and I'm fairly sure that Andy Rix was the guest but Dave has that down as the first night. Your review must be right and rings a bell, think I decided to go as a result (or maybe because Jo Wallace accosted us in the queue at the 100 Club and instructed Craig and I to go :( )

Social source share

That was before Matt teamed up with CSC. He tried to put Dean Courtney on (Don't think Dean Parrish had been found then), but that fell through which left him with the venue, and CS joined him. That's why it was MJ Promotions and CSC.

my recollection is that Matt had offered to help some promoters from up north with a venue for this gig as you say Dave, and this led him to the venue.... and around the same time the shoreditch place was found (IIRC) not to have a licence (!) and promptly shut down.... and the rest, as they say....

twas a magic night indeed and a great time to be out and about on the soul scene in London generally really.

Martin

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Flynn has it on a spreadsheet ! That's cracked me up :(

Social source share

my recollection is that Matt had offered to help some promoters from up north with a venue for this gig as you say Dave, and this led him to the venue.... and around the same time the shoreditch place was found (IIRC) not to have a licence (!) and promptly shut down.... and the rest, as they say....

twas a magic night indeed and a great time to be out and about on the soul scene in London generally really.

Martin

From memory it was Bernie O'Brien that tried to do the Dean Courtney thing up north

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I forgot to ask Greg, he'll remember. Dave's list has a March and a September 1999 on it. Jo Wallace as the guest in September at the Bar (Jo?) I went to the second night at the Dome and I'm fairly sure that Andy Rix was the guest but Dave has that down as the first night. Your review must be right and rings a bell, think I decided to go as a result (or maybe because Jo Wallace accosted us in the queue at the 100 Club and instructed Craig and I to go :( )

Guest on the first night at Shoreditch was Carl, and after his spot was asked to be a regular I think. Jo used to hand out the tapes on the door as well down there didnt you?

I found some earlier this week, and just had to stick on Greg's and fast forward to an old Yate tume

Shammettes - Dont Waste Your Time.

Pushed back the settee and danced like a loon. Well Mod, well Northern Soul.

Social source share

Martin

===============

Really was a great time in London. The 100, these old shoes, scenesville and the dome all set the standards. Went to most of the Dome nights, and have to say it was the most innovative soul night of it's kind and at that time I was travelling all over. Great days

Winnie:-)

Social source share

===============

Really was a great time in London. The 100, these old shoes, scenesville and the dome all set the standards. Went to most of the Dome nights, and have to say it was the most innovative soul night of it's kind and at that time I was travelling all over. Great days

Winnie:-)

At the same time we had Albrighton running in the Midlands. You're right, it was a fabulous time !

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Flynn has it on a spreadsheet ! That's cracked me up :(

Me too :unsure: Got to finish it before I go on holiday.

So Carl guested first one, next one Ion as the guest, then Jo, then to the Dome with Dave R, then Andy Rix, who did March 2000?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Me too :( Got to finish it before I go on holiday.

So Carl guested first one, next one Ion as the guest, then Jo, then to the Dome with Dave R, then Andy Rix, who did March 2000?

I think Shifty was one of the early guests, before he decided to go in a different direction.

Social source share

I think the first one I got to was the 1st Anniversary, still got the free tape that was given away.

I was totally blown away by the place and only missed one or two before it closed.

Still got the video that Steve Heinsen did with Winnie interviewing all the guys and Sidney Barnes doing an impromptu set on the stage. Met a lot off good mates at the Dome, Scenesville and TOS and later SITC.

Happy days indeed :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Me too :lol: Got to finish it before I go on holiday.

The first in town I have on file at work is #15 March 2002. That had Kenny Burrell filling in for Carl that month.

Next week I should have more time, I can fill in the guests from then on.

Fri 22nd Capitol Soul Club. Dome Tufnell Park. Northern Soul, Resident Dj's, with Kenny Burrell stepping in for Carl. Guests are Dave Holt and Mark White. £7 members only. 9.30-3am.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I forgot to ask Greg, he'll remember. Dave's list has a March and a September 1999 on it. Jo Wallace as the guest in September at the Bar (Jo?) I think that was my first guest spot there and then I dj'd at the last night at the 'sauna' Capitol Soul night.

I decided to go as a result (or maybe because Jo Wallace accosted us in the queue at the 100 Club and instructed Craig and I to go :lol: ) As if I'd do a thing like that laugh.gif:( I remember it well....I think I was djing at the 100 and was generally harrassing people in the queue to go to the Dome - guerilla tactics but it worked :D Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Jo used to hand out the tapes on the door as well down there didnt you?

Nah, I was just stealing them :lol: I don't think I did much door whoring at Capitol Mk1 but I did help with 'security' at the bottom of the stairs and did the cloakroom after Sue left for sunnier climes at Capitol Mk2...and dj'd there a couple of times too. Jo

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Best soul club there was in the London without a doubt wink.gif

I'm sure there will be a reunion when the boys are ready and can all get togther rolleyes.gif and what a reunion that will be biggrin.gif . SX

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I can't get the scanner to work so no flyer scans but me and Roger Banks guest dj'd one night. And from the Mk1 CSC, I compiled tape number 7 - coz I've just found it during my unpacking boxes!! Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert