Record Shops In Hawai'i

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

If its still there you must try "JELLYS" in Honolulu on University Avenue + their other branch in Pearl Harbour.

Had probably my biggest haul ever there in the late 80's!

Everything... 10 for a dollar!

Spent just over $25 and came out with a suitcase full of stuff.

(Them were the days!)

Happy hunting!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

I've just come back from Kauia spent 10 days there, absolutely beautiful place. You'll love it....

there's a Salvation Army depot on one of the roads going south of the airport about 12 miles.. it's by the side of the main road, small village (forget the name). They had records, and get them in every day the assistant said.. you may get lucky.

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

I've just come back from Kauia spent 10 days there, absolutely beautiful place. You'll love it....

there's a Salvation Army depot on one of the roads going south of the airport about 12 miles.. it's by the side of the main road, small village (forget the name). They had records, and get them in every day the assistant said.. you may get lucky.

Hi John

trust your well.

You mentioned you had a contact in LA who cleared records from skips in a recent post, in 60's.

Just checking if it's same guy i know of, Dan D ???

Regards

ALAN

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Hi John

trust your well.

You mentioned you had a contact in LA who cleared records from skips in a recent post, in 60's.

Just checking if it's same guy i know of, Dan D ???

Regards

ALAN

Just thought on their is a 20th Century guy who does vocals for Hawaii at 50, says You can count on me, Sammy Davis his name thumbup.gif Sorry......

Social source share

I'm going there for 10 days in September. Was hoping to check out any local record shops but if JM's already been there will no doubt be nothing left :D

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya,

thanks everybody, found a few more shops myself, including one in Honolulu called Detroit Soul Connection....

Also made contact with a couple of scooterclubs, one founded by two expats from Maidenhead, now living on Kauai. Really looking forward to get away from the irish "summer". Only 3 weeks now :thumbsup:

I'm going there for 10 days in September. Was hoping to check out any local record shops but if JM's already been there will no doubt be nothing left :thumbup:

Stubbsy, where and when will you be going ? We're leaving on the 21st September, staying for 3 weeks, Oahu, Big Island, Kauai.

cheers,

Mick

Social source share

I'm going there for 10 days in September. Was hoping to check out any local record shops but if JM's already been there will no doubt be nothing left :thumbup:

I didn't look for records (much), if you go Kauai and look for records you gotta be pretty ill. Things do change everyday, everywhere, one minute there's no records, then there's a load turns up. Right place, right time..

Hope you do well, but if you don't you'll find the island is incredible and the food is sumptuous. One of the few places in the world without vinyl, I'd gladly visit again.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

I didn't look for records (much), if you go Kauai and look for records you gotta be pretty ill. Things do change everyday, everywhere, one minute there's no records, then there's a load turns up. Right place, right time..

Hope you do well, but if you don't you'll find the island is incredible and the food is sumptuous. One of the few places in the world without vinyl, I'd gladly visit again.

And ive seen the pictures ,very nice :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Arcticsoulboy

I tried to find the Detroit shop (very promising name) when I went to Oahu, Hawaii for our honeymoon last year, as I had some sort of dream that they might have this big haul of soul records from some Army radio station or whatever. I had the adress and patrolled the street up and down but I couldn´t find it... In the end it kinda dawned on me: here I am on a paradise island and what am I doing? Looking for records...

So I turned round, bought a sixpack of Coors (avoid at all costs) and went back to planning which beach to visit the next day instead. You´ll love Hawaii even if you don´t find any records. Good luck hunting though!

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

aww hawaii, my home ... miss it every day.

if you are on the big island (hawaii) please do stop in and give my

mother a hug. she has a bed and breakfast in hilo ($50 a night ... real cheap!).

as for records, i was there last year, and there are some floating around.

do stop in at Jellys in Pearl City (on Oahu). best to check trift/antique stores

around the island.

my stepfather, who was a musician in the 50s there once told me

that honolulu was a test market for a lot of labels back in the 50s and

60s. might be a cache somewhere ... believe me, there are no

collectors there at all so competition is non-existant.

enjoy the beaches, the weather and ESPECIALLY THE FOOD. i suggest

dropping in at a Zippys and ordering something with gravy on it. we have

a saying back home, "Eat Til You Sleep."

Malama Ka A'ina.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!