Records Ready For A Second Go On The Scene

As the debate continues here and on the scene about what records are over played as I've been sorting through a few bits to sell off, swap, trade or whatever I've become aware of a few tunes which I've not played in ages perhaps a few years either on the show or out and about at the gigs, I think you tend to keep hold of certain records that hold that special quality and magic perhaps for those rainy days and it would seem to be pissing down with the present comments and mood on music policy issues at some venues, one such tune I've just played upstairs is Tommy Bush - I Don't Like It (But I Love You) - Rika.....perhaps not played that much anymore because it's a bloody rare record, a very popular tune way back and I seem to remember it getting bootlegged? no matter not heard it in years anywhere? Northern R'n'B crossover of the highest order before we used the R'n'B tag lol, certainly up there with Little Richie, Mickie Champion etc. and others in that style there must be scores of records like this waiting for a second wind??????? or is Tommy Bush and it's like also old hat?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 163
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I can never remember the oldies that I really liked - doh! And now because I don't get out that much I don't know what isn't being played - double doh!!

Some oldies that I do like though are:

Arin Domain - Silent Treatment

Gil Blanding - Rules

That track that I can never remember that RS had covered up as Roddy Joy - Vivian (somebody)

Keep Away From Me - Elbie Parker

By Yourself - JD Martin

etc

Does this stuff get played out much at the moment - I don't know? I'll think of some others.

Peter thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I can never remember the oldies that I really liked - doh! And now because I don't get out that much I don't know what isn't being played - double doh!!

Some oldies that I do like though are:

Arin Domain - Silent Treatment

Gil Blanding - Rules

That track that I can never remember that RS had covered up as Roddy Joy - Vivian (somebody)

Keep Away From Me - Elbie Parker

By Yourself - JD Martin

etc

Does this stuff get played out much at the moment - I don't know? I'll think of some others.

Peter thumbsup.gif

vivian carrol - oh yeah yeah yeah - merban....covered up as roddie joy - learning how to dance

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Gil Blanding - Rules

Peter thumbsup.gif

Gil Blanding was played at Middleton a few weeks ago. Sounded very nice and fresh :P

Social source share

As the debate continues here and on the scene about what records are over played as I've been sorting through a few bits to sell off, swap, trade or whatever I've become aware of a few tunes which I've not played in ages perhaps a few years either on the show or out and about at the gigs, I think you tend to keep hold of certain records that hold that special quality and magic perhaps for those rainy days and it would seem to be pissing down with the present comments and mood on music policy issues at some venues, one such tune I've just played upstairs is Tommy Bush - I Don't Like It (But I Love You) - Rika.....perhaps not played that much anymore because it's a bloody rare record, a very popular tune way back and I seem to remember it getting bootlegged? no matter not heard it in years anywhere? Northern R'n'B crossover of the highest order before we used the R'n'B tag lol, certainly up there with Little Richie, Mickie Champion etc. and others in that style there must be scores of records like this waiting for a second wind??????? or is Tommy Bush and it's like also old hat?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

hi mark, good topic mate jimmy conwell - too much - gemini & cheryll ann - i cant let him - patty are two that spring to mind

Social source share

vivian carrol - oh yeah yeah yeah - merban....covered up as roddie joy - learning how to dance

Yep that's the one - love it!

Somebodys been teaching you

Showing you how...................

Searling class! Has anyone heard this out lately - get it played!

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

CODY BLACK-GOING GOING GONE,DUG IT OUT THE OTHER NIGHT SOUNDED BLOODY BRILL,ALSO BILLY BUTLER-SWEET DARLING,THERES NUMEROUS TRACKS,EDDIE PARKER-NEED A TRUE LOVE ,ETC.HAVE NOT HEARD DANNY WAGNER FOR YONKS -LOST A TRUE LOVE ANOTHER ONE WORTH DUSTING DOWN. thumbsup.gif

BAZ A

cody black...good call, if i remember rightly, the other sides not too bad

Social source share

CODY BLACK-GOING GOING GONE,DUG IT OUT THE OTHER NIGHT SOUNDED BLOODY BRILL,ALSO BILLY BUTLER-SWEET DARLING,THERES NUMEROUS TRACKS,EDDIE PARKER-NEED A TRUE LOVE ,ETC.HAVE NOT HEARD DANNY WAGNER FOR YONKS -LOST A TRUE LOVE ANOTHER ONE WORTH DUSTING DOWN. thumbsup.gif

BAZ A

Hi

The constant in almost all of these records, either forgotten or over played is quality.

The reason some were forgotten is the sheer amount of brilliant records our scene has discovered over the years.

Look forward to more, & I hope refosoul is back soon so we can all have a listen.

Social source share

cody black...good call, if i remember rightly, the other sides not too bad

Somebodys gonna`end up loving,yes it good too!!i thought going going gone too,ace thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Great thread!

I don't get out much so I 'm not really up on what's current and what's not but this thread appealed to me as i had a sit in the room and play records afternoon. The following were spun for the first time in ages. They sounded great ....to me at least and as good as the last time I played them, which was a while ago.

Tony middleton - Spanish maiden Speed

The Impacts - Jerkin' in your seat - Counsel

Bobby Taylor - Oh I've been blessed

Willie Kendrick - You can't by pass love/Give me lots of lovin' - RCA Victor

Gary

Social source share

Great thread!

I don't get out much so I 'm not really up on what's current and what's not but this thread appealed to me as i had a sit in the room and play records afternoon. The following were spun for the first time in ages. They sounded great ....to me at least and as good as the last time I played them, which was a while ago.

Tony middleton - Spanish maiden Speed

The Impacts - Jerkin' in your seat - Counsel

Bobby Taylor - Oh I've been blessed

Willie Kendrick - You can't by pass love/Give me lots of lovin' - RCA Victor

Gary

I ALWYS GIVE BOBBY TAYLOR A SPIN,THE FLIP IS STNNING CROSSOVER ALSO [bLACKMAIL].DONT FORGET ROSES SOMEWHERE IS THIS WORLD ON SUNFLOWER ,NOW THAT DOES NEED A PLUG AGAIN.

baz a thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

thumbsup.gif

Phil plays it at Burnley for me, one of my faves too!

Social source share

Good thread this...lol oh bugger I started it did'nt I?.................. Just been messing about with a few records and bang! The New Wanderers - This Man In Love - Ready sounded as good as it did all those years ago...followed by The Millionaires - You've Got To Love Your Baby - Castle....proper Northern!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Good thread this...lol oh bugger I started it did'nt I?.................. Just been messing about with a few records and bang! The New Wanderers - This Man In Love - Ready sounded as good as it did all those years ago...followed by The Millionaires - You've Got To Love Your Baby - Castle....proper Northern!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

MILLIONAIRES-CHERRY BABY-BUNNY [bEST 25 QUID EVER SPEND]IMHO.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest rachel

thumbsup.gif

Yes, quite a bit over the last few years. Like it though :ohmy:

Social source share

I ALWYS GIVE BOBBY TAYLOR A SPIN,THE FLIP IS STNNING CROSSOVER ALSO [bLACKMAIL].DONT FORGET ROSES SOMEWHERE IS THIS WORLD ON SUNFLOWER ,NOW THAT DOES NEED A PLUG AGAIN.

baz a thumbsup.gif

Baz

Wise words indeed, Forgot how good the flip is so I just dug it out and played it.....nice!

gary biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Simon

United Four - She's puttin' you on @ Harthon

Only cause i've recently bought a copy mind biggrin.gif

Great dancer imho, wiith all the NS bits in the right place.

Simon

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Anything (almost !!) played at the Torch thumbup.gif:ohmy::(

Social source share

how about.......

sharon soul - his love is amazing - coral

ernie andrews - fine young girl - capital

marlina mars - put my love on strike - mgm

the chimes - bring him back - okeh

betty fikes - prove it to me - southbound

ann perry - thats the way he is - theoda

greg perry - love control - chess

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

how about.......

sharon soul - his love is amazing - coral

ernie andrews - fine young girl - capital

marlina mars - put my love on strike - mgm

the chimes - bring him back - okeh

betty fikes - prove it to me - southbound

The flip of Betty Fikes - I can't lie to my heart is superb!

gary

Social source share

Dare i be so bold as to nominate the following. I've never even looked at it for decades and after playing it earlier today i'm on the brink of wearing it out.

The Emotions - I can't stand no more heartaches - Brainstorm

Cheap as chips too

gary

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

June Jackson. Its whats underneath that counts.

Frankie Lydon. Dont go away baby.

Nikkie Blu. I love him so.

Steve

Social source share

Tommy Bush - I Don't Like It (But I Love You) - Rika

Yes Mark, I play it in my set quite a lot at Burnley, goes down a storm. thumbsup.gif

Phil.

========

yes gr8 track

one of mr winstanleys finest wigan spins

glad i got my original before the price shot up

ps

what about the pallbearers - music with soul

gr8 old wigan stomper not played out for ages!

Social source share

Tommy Bush - I Don't Like It (But I Love You) - Rika

Yes Mark, I play it in my set quite a lot at Burnley, goes down a storm. thumbsup.gif

Phil.

Not been there yet but now with a change in work circumstances I intend to visit a few more venues and yours is the top of my list Phil...Tommy Bush top tuneage!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

pat lewis - lets go together / i cant shake it loose - golden world

renaldo domino - you dont love me no more - smash

kris peterson - just as much - top dog

dennise chandler - im walking away - toddlin town / lock

leroy taylor - oh linda - brunswick

I know lets just have a "oldies allnighter" sleep3.gif

Social source share

pat lewis - lets go together / i cant shake it loose - golden world

renaldo domino - you dont love me no more - smash

kris peterson - just as much - top dog

dennise chandler - im walking away - toddlin town / lock

leroy taylor - oh linda - brunswick

Leroy Taylor...top tune...quality plain and simple.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert