Soul Shack To Finish - Eddy Emondson Takes Over Northern Show On Solar

It's with regret that after giving it a great deal of thought and consideration I have just sent Solar an Email expressing that due to several reasons and issues I would like to finish presenting 'The Soul Shack', the main reasons are the constant funding issues and the fact that recently I feel I have been going through the motions and the show is suffering because of it, I have been in this frame of mind for several months and there are no other outside influence or reasons behind this.

I hope to present a few more shows to say farwell and thank all the loyal and dedicated 'Friends Of The Soul Shack' special thanks to all the sponsors and donations over the years, thanks to the many record companies for all the promo and preview CD's and 45's, thanks to the many Guest DJ's and collectors who have been on the show over almost seven years.

I've enjoyed every minute of presenting the show, it's been a special buzz but I feel I can't take it any further and because of the various issues I have no other option but to finish.

I would like to thank Tony Monson, Keith Renton and all at Solar for giving me the chance to play a few tunes on a Sunday night, I'm sure there will be another Northern based show on the station so please support whoever takes over www.solarradio

Special big thank you to Mike and all on 'Soul Source' for letting me plug and beg at times on here.

Special big thanks to John Manship, Steve Plumb, Universal Music, Kevin Cox, Rob Moss, Andy and Paula Crane, Dave And Val Box, The Attic Boys, Dean, Garry, Kev and Steve from Mansfield, Paul And Sue from Doncaster, Keith Williams, Chris Waterman - 'New Century Soul Club', Ady Croasdell, Tony Rounce and all at Ace/Kent, Tim Brown at Anglo American, Andy McCabe - 'Soultown', Neil Jones/Jayne Malone - 'North Manchester Soul Club', Paul Donnelly and all at 'Different Kettle Of Fish', Stuart Cosgrove, The Orwell Boys - Flanny, Steve C, Steve P and Barry, Jo Wallace, Sean Chapman, all the many independent donations and sponsors and 'Friends Of The Soul Shack', Dave Greet, Alan Eames, Garry J. Cape and John Anderson at Grapevine 2000, Dave Moore - 'There's That Beat Magazine' and many others who have tuned in, supported and helped me along the way since November 2000.Sorry if I have forgotton anyone but they know who they are.

Thanks to everyone out there for the many Emails, requests, mentions and dedications over the years and for the wonderful direct personal feedback out and about at the gigs.

I'm sad to finish but feel it's the right thing to do, all things have a shelf life and I think 'The Soul Shack' has come to the end of the road for the reasons I've stated.

Just heard from Eddy Edmondson and it seems he will be taking over to present a Northern based show on Solar starting from September 8th, all the very best to you Eddy I hope it works out.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mark - I'm gutted, the show has been a highlight of the weekend for me (ask my wife, my Sunday revolves around 8pm !!)

Sounds like you've really made your mind up this time.

All i can say is thanks for the all the efforts and the education you've passed on.

cheers

alan

Social source share

I'm sorry that you are finishing the Soul Shack Mark. I haven't listened to it as often as I should have done, Sunday evening always finds me trying to catch up with things. But the ones I've heard have been great. A friend sent me a CD with MP3s of some of the shows, and I've been listening on my MP3 player going to work. The one you did some time ago featuring beat ballads, mid tempo records was just sensational, loved everything on it.

Pity you can't get a show on Radio 2, that's where the Soul Shack should be imo.

Social source share

Guest trickbag

realy sorry to here this mark, i for one will miss

this wonderful weekly show, been listening since

it was on a friday evening,all the best mark and

good luck in the future.

ricky.

sock it to em mark.

Social source share

Pity you can't get a show on Radio 2, that's where the Soul Shack should be imo.

Wouldn't it be great to get a proper northern show on national radio!

Sorry to here the news Mark

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It's with regret that after giving it a great deal of thought and consideration I have just sent Solar an Email expressing that due to several reasons and issues I would like to finish presenting 'The Soul Shack', the main reasons are the constant funding issues and the fact that recently I feel I have been going through the motions and the show is suffering because of it, I have been in this frame of mind for several months and there are no other outside influence or reasons behind this.

I hope to present a few more shows to say farwell and thank all the loyal and dedicated 'Friends Of The Soul Shack' special thanks to all the sponsors and donations over the years, thanks to the many record companies for all the promo and preview CD's and 45's, thanks to the many Guest DJ's and collectors who have been on the show over almost seven years.

I've enjoyed every minute of presenting the show, it's been a special buzz but I feel I can't take it any further and because of the various issues I have no other option but to finish.

I would like to thank Tony Monson, Keith Renton and all at Solar for giving me the chance to play a few tunes on a Sunday night, I'm sure there will be another Northern based show on the station so please support whoever takes over www.solarradio

Special big thank you to Mike and all on 'Soul Source' for letting me plug and beg at times on here.

Special big thanks to John Manship, Steve Plumb, Universal Music, Kevin Cox, Rob Moss, Andy and Paula Crane, Dave And Val Box, The Attic Boys, Dean, Garry, Kev and Steve from Mansfield, Paul And Sue from Doncaster, Keith Williams, Chris Waterman - 'New Century Soul Club', Ady Croasdell, Tony Rounce and all at Ace/Kent, Tim Brown at Anglo American, Andy McCabe - 'Soultown', Neil Jones/Jayne Malone - 'North Manchester Soul Club', Paul Donnelly and all at 'Different Kettle Of Fish', Stuart Cosgrove, The Orwell Boys - Flanny, Steve C, Steve P and Barry, Jo Wallace, Sean Chapman, all the many independent donations and sponsors and 'Friends Of The Soul Shack', Dave Greet, Alan Eames, Garry J. Cape and John Anderson at Grapevine 2000, Dave Moore - 'There's That Beat Magazine' and many others who have tuned in, supported and helped me along the way since November 2000.Sorry if I have forgotton anyone but they know who they are.

Thanks to everyone out there for the many Emails, requests, mentions and dedications over the years and for the wonderful direct personal feedback out and about at the gigs.

I'm sad to finish but feel it's the right thing to do, all things have a shelf life and I think 'The Soul Shack' has come to the end of the road for the reasons I've stated.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark, putting aside our 'the listeners' selfish reasons for wanting Soul Shack to continue until we turn to dust, things come to pass. Far from sounding stale or stilted, you have managed to maintain a feeling of passion and enthusiasm for the life of the show - this coming from someone who worked on a radio show, 6 days a week, for 4 years. So I know how difficult it is for you to smile and say 'it's showtime' every Sunday....have a rest, put your feet up and rejuvinate your soul batteries.....and behind the scenes, you never know what offers will turn up. Chin up Mark - you've 'kept the faith' for 7 long years and had the vehicle to share your love of the music with others. We salute you. :thumbsup: Jo xx

Social source share

Absolutely gutted, what am I suposed to do on a sunday night now - watch heartbeat??

:ohmy: This might just be enough to drive me to drink :lol:

Seriously though thanks for the last 7 years Mark and for your help with the Attic.

Your passion for the music absolutely shone through on every show and was an inspiration. I hope theres someone else out there who can do something similar,

All the best in whatever you do now, Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thank you all for your kind words and comments, I'm really touched by all this, I've not heard back from Solar yet but I suspect the show will run for at least another four to six weeks due to current funding and donations which are still current, I will keep you posted.

I'm not sad infact I'm very upbeat because now I can sit back, collect and do the odd spot when asked...you have all been brilliant.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mark,

This is sad news for the listeners as whoever fills your spot (or trys to) will lack a certain something for me at least. I'm sure you have your reasons for bringing this chapter to a close and hope you know how appreciated the show has been. I'm sure you'll go out with the customary enthusiasm you've always shown even when you say you've not neccesarily felt it it never been apparent.

I'll miss your knowledge and style of presenting.

Good luck in where life takes you next I know what ever medium or part of the scene you interact with it'll be the better for it. :thumbsup:

And just to show this isn't a faux tribute and to show balance I can imagine the headlines in the fanzines now

"Mark Bicknell in I'm Retiring Shock" - No one thought It would ever happen

:ohmy::lol:

Enjoy the rest mate, catch up soon for a beer I hope.

Social source share

Thank you all for your kind words and comments, I'm really touched by all this, I've not heard back from Solar yet but I suspect the show will run for at least another four to six weeks due to current funding and donations which are still current, I will keep you posted.

I'm not sad infact I'm very upbeat because now I can sit back, collect and do the odd spot when asked...you have all been brilliant.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

Sorry to hear it mate, but I know from doing Pure how tough it can get to do these shows week in week out and certainly does clash with my work/family life at times (more often than not!!), and like you I have also gone through the motions from time to time mate. But I have no doubt that you will have plenty of guest spot invites, and no doubt you will continue to do thoise spots!! anytime you feel like popping along to Pure Radio Stockport for a guest spot (or two) give me a shout!

ATB Grant

Social source share

Mark,

This is sad news for the listeners as whoever fills your spot (or trys to) will lack a certain something for me at least. I'm sure you have your reasons for bringing this chapter to a close and hope you know how appreciated the show has been. I'm sure you'll go out with the customary enthusiasm you've always shown even when you say you've not neccesarily felt it it never been apparent.

I'll miss your knowledge and style of presenting.

Good luck in where life takes you next I know what ever medium or part of the scene you interact with it'll be the better for it. :thumbsup:

And just to show this isn't a faux tribute and to show balance I can imagine the headlines in the fanzines now

"Mark Bicknell in I'm Retiring Shock" - No one thought It would ever happen

:ohmy::lol:

Enjoy the rest mate, catch up soon for a beer I hope.

Cheers Ged, I'm not retiring mate just finishing the show which I have loved doing, the funding issues have been the major factor plus other things but nothing bad from Solar's or my side, I just think it's the right time to finish, never say never as I may be able to present the odd 'special' but musically I'm pretty spent at this time and unable to apply that sharpness and passion I once did.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mark,

Really sorry to hear this, I know many, many people appreciate your proffessional work in presenting proper soul show.. I think you should reconsider, as a replacement of your quality is gonna be very tough to find.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Mark,

Really sorry to hear this, I know many, many people appreciate your proffessional work in presenting proper soul show.. I think you should reconsider, as a replacement of your quality is gonna be very tough to find.

John

Wow John, what can I say? I'll send you a message or Email soon once I've got my head around this, to discuss what we have to discuss (John has been a very good friend to the show)

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Im Gutted Mark and now i have to tell all my friends ive been badgering over the last couple of years to listen in that now its soon to end, i and many friends wish you all the best and thank you for some great SOUL on Sunday nights thats helped me hear tunes i may never of got round to hearing,

Sundays nights just wont be the same again :ohmy:

thanks again Mark and good luck in whatever you do but dont ever stop enjoying it :thumbsup:

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest nubes

Mark, putting aside our 'the listeners' selfish reasons for wanting Soul Shack to continue until we turn to dust, things come to pass. Far from sounding stale or stilted, you have managed to maintain a feeling of passion and enthusiasm for the life of the show - this coming from someone who worked on a radio show, 6 days a week, for 4 years. So I know how difficult it is for you to smile and say 'it's showtime' every Sunday....have a rest, put your feet up and rejuvinate your soul batteries.....and behind the scenes, you never know what offers will turn up. Chin up Mark - you've 'kept the faith' for 7 long years and had the vehicle to share your love of the music with others. We salute you. :thumbsup: Jo xx

You have put that quite succintly ..Jo...for me ..Mark.. your show educated me in appreciating a wider spectrum of rare soul music..... and for that i will always be grateful to ya...you know what feels right for you..go with it...once again...Thank you...Delxxx

Social source share

all the best Mark

you have done me proud with loads of plugs,and playing things i stock

your a top man

sunday will be empty without your show

i know its tough when things dont go to plan

but have you thought about doing it with someone a co presenter

less pressure,say a x-over person.........covering both ends of spectrum then

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

musically I'm pretty spent at this time and unable to apply that sharpness and passion I once did.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Ere Mister, I'll look after your records :lol::thumbsup: And don't forget, Rose St John 'Fool Don't Laugh'....you don't have a 'pooh' shelf lol (sorry, a bit off topic but Mark knows what I mean) :lol: Jo x

Social source share

all the best Mark

you have done me proud with loads of plugs,and playing things i stock

your a top man

sunday will be empty without your show

i know its tough when things dont go to plan

but have you thought about doing it with someone a co presenter

less pressure,say a x-over person.........covering both ends of spectrum then

Well done Mark,

I can not imagine the stress of all your hard work putting on the show week in week out.

As Keith says will you consider trying to find other DJ's to help you continue your much valued show.

If you decide you really have to give it a rest I am sure everyone on here will understand, but I really would miss not hearing you on a Sunday evening though.

Good luck with what ever you decide is the best for you.

Much love as allways

Paul

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark sad news indeed regular listener, hope you get your mo jo back soon.i know that its hard trying to get sponsors etc & all you want to do is play the music that you love.

all the best for your future.

Daryl & the rest of us at Hull Soul Club

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

Sundays won't be the same, respect your decision however sad that it should come to an end.

All the Best in whatever it is that you decide to do next.

Social source share

Thanks again for all the feedback and comments here, gonna collect, enjoy, play and share the music be it at venues (when asked) at house parties, here on SS, i really don't want to make a big fuss about this but from the bottom of my 'Soul' thanks for listening over the past well almost seven years.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Thanks again for all the feedback and comments here, gonna collect, enjoy, play and share the music be it at venues (when asked) at house parties, here on SS, i really don't want to make a big fuss about this but from the bottom of my 'Soul' thanks for listening over the past well almost seven years.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Just want to add my "four penneth worth" for what its worth..... FANTASTIC JOB!!! - Your time at the Shack has been truly appreciated and has been a significant contribution to the wider enjoyment of the music that we all love... You have done a great job and all the praise that has been placed here on SS is well deserved.. Thanks Mark, may whatever you choose to do in the future be as successful and enjoyable for you, and hopefully the rest of us... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Thanx for enlightening me on Sunday evening's & giving me two hours of aural delights. All the best in what you do in the future & maybe at somepoint we can hear a "Big Daddy" special.

Cheers,

Dave,

Doncaster

(Proud to be a Friend of the Soul Shack)

:D

Social source share

Mark ,

It's an understatement to tell you how gutted we feel about this, for us, but more for you as I know how passionate you feel about this show and it must have been one hell of a decision to call it a day. Having said that we totally understand why you have come to this decision and totally respect this.

I have only been back on the scene about 5 years but without your show I would have probably only stayed about 6 months. After returning to the scene and going to lots of venues locally I was beginning to tire of the same old few hundred records hammered to death everywhere, when a work colleague of mine Roger (45 Cellar) told me about your show and I started to listen every week and eventually taped every show on cassette,video and more recently Sky+, most of which I still have.

I was absolutely amazed at the music you played as not much of it was played out anywhere and not being collectors most of it was new to us, the information about each record you gave was second to none and has learnt me a lot about artists and the scene in general.

This then made me realise that this scene of ours was worth the effort and we started to attend other venues where we could hear something different and we are enjoying it today more than ever.

With brilliant guests and spotlighting new CD's plus of course your own contribution you have brought to us a fantastic ATB selection of Soul week after week and we will really miss your show each Sunday.

If you do decide to change your mind you will always have our support and if you don't we wish you and your family the best of luck whatever you do.

Hope to see you soon at some venue or other.

Paul & Sue :D:lol:

Social source share

8-8-07

Dear Mark

I have read your e-mail, and have to say that I am very sorry you are leaving after all these years, but I understand why this has got to be. I would like to thank you for all the hard work you have put in - and also for bending over backwards to get the show funded. If at a later date you can build up enough interest to get another show funded - not necessarily at the same time as at present - please let us know immediately, and we will see what is available. I would also point out that there are sometimes midnight-2AM slots available on various nights - and we could offer these at approximately half-price.

It seems that your sponsorship would run out late in August; however, if you are aggreable, we will run the show until early September, making Sunday September 2nd your last show - giving you plenty of oppurtunity to inform your listeners.

All the best

Tony Monson - Solar Radio.

This is an Email reply from Tony Monson at 'Solar Radio' which has humbled me big time, you will see that the door is open for me but I would only consider this offer if the funding issues were covered and in place and well in advance with block funding over a 12 month period rather than month by month, week by week as it's sometimes been which has been the problem in recent times and a major pressure always hanging over me, however funding is not the only reason to stop as i explained in my original posting.

I thought you would all like to see this and it confirms that the final show will broadcast on Sunday September 2nd. I love doing this show but circumstances have finally forced my hand. Thanks again for the many private Emails, messages and phone calls showing support, no one is more upset than me on this trust me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest nubes

8-8-07

Dear Mark

I have read your e-mail, and have to say that I am very sorry you are leaving after all these years, but I understand why this has got to be. I would like to thank you for all the hard work you have put in - and also for bending over backwards to get the show funded. If at a later date you can build up enough interest to get another show funded - not necessarily at the same time as at present - please let us know immediately, and we will see what is available. I would also point out that there are sometimes midnight-2AM slots available on various nights - and we could offer these at approximately half-price.

It seems that your sponsorship would run out late in August; however, if you are aggreable, we will run the show until early September, making Sunday September 2nd your last show - giving you plenty of oppurtunity to inform your listeners.

All the best

This is an Email reply from Tony Monson at 'Solar Radio' which has humbled me big time, you will see that the door is open for me but I would only consider this offer if the funding issues were covered and in place and well in advance with block funding over a 12 month period rather than month by month, week by week as it's sometimes been which has been the problem in recent times and a major pressure always hanging over me, however funding is not the only reason to stop as i explained in my original posting.

I thought you would all like to see this and it confirms that the final show will broadcast on Sunday September 2nd. I love doing this show but circumstances have finally forced my hand. Thanks again for the many private Emails, messages and phone calls showing support, no one is more upset than me on this trust me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Oh mate...times like this..words fail me...the email says it all...just shows how much respect that guy has for ya...Delxx

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

8-8-07

Dear Mark

All the best

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark, this is a ludicrous reply...........I have NEVER known a radio presenter have to seek funding for his own show - whatever next - vanity broadcasting??? Any radio station worth their salt have their own department dealing with sponsorship relevant to each show that is aired. Having worked and broadcast on two major commercial stations, I know what I'm talking about - they would never put the onus on the presenter to find their own sponsors. The burden and responsibility that Solar are placing on you to find funding is outrageous - and the strain has been more damaging to you than you realise. Ofcourse they're sorry to see you go - you're immensly popular. But as for offering you midnight to 2am slots....yeah, thanks a bunch. Do they think they're doing you a favour???? It's a joke. Sunday evenings was Soul Shack night - end of. It can't be shunted off into the soul sidings. As much as we love the show and you do - put yourself first, Mark. Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Mark, this is a ludicrous reply...........I have NEVER known a radio presenter have to seek funding for his own show - whatever next - vanity broadcasting??? Any radio station worth their salt have their own department dealing with sponsorship relevant to each show that is aired. Having worked and broadcast on two major commercial stations, I know what I'm talking about. The burden and responsibility that Solar are placing on you to find funding is outrageous - and the strain has been more damaging to you than you realise. As much as we love the show and you do - put yourself first, Mark. Jo

Jo, basically this is the very reason I'm quiting, I love the music, playing the music and being part of the scene but I refuse nor can I exspect 'Friends Of The Soul Shack' to constantly bail me out when funding is needed or use the begging bowl approach from my part when funds are needed, there is some advertising on the table generated by me but even with this the future would still prove difficult, thanks for your concerns and reply....... who knows I might get some other offers now...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Mark, this is a ludicrous reply...........I have NEVER known a radio presenter have to seek funding for his own show - whatever next - vanity broadcasting??? Any radio station worth their salt have their own department dealing with sponsorship relevant to each show that is aired. Having worked and broadcast on two major commercial stations, I know what I'm talking about - they would never put the onus on the presenter to find their own sponsors. The burden and responsibility that Solar are placing on you to find funding is outrageous - and the strain has been more damaging to you than you realise. Ofcourse they're sorry to see you go - you're immensly popular. But as for offering you midnight to 2am slots....yeah, thanks a bunch. Do they think they're doing you a favour???? It's a joke. Sunday evenings was Soul Shack night - end of. It can't be shunted off into the soul sidings. As much as we love the show and you do - put yourself first, Mark. Jo

Jo

Internet radio is basically vanity broadcasting. There are of course some very good shows. But mainly IMO it's CB radio with records much of the time.

Derek

Social source share

Jo

Internet radio is basically vanity broadcasting. There are of course some very good shows. But mainly IMO it's CB radio with records much of the time.

Derek

Derek, Solar Radio is very slightly different as not only is it on the net it also has a Digital Channel on Sky 0129 as I'm sure you are aware, but I take your very straight talking comments.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Derek, Solar Radio is very slightly different as not only is it on the net it also has a Digital Channel on Sky 0129 as I'm sure you are aware, but I take your very straight talking comments.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I wasn't having a pop at you Mark. You are a good radio jock.

It just seems that everyone and their dog has a show somewhere on the net and most of them are just not very good, mates of mates i suppose.

Derek

Social source share

Now heres a suggestion, assuming Mark wants to continue and based on what he has said about block funding for 12 months.

I have no idea how many listeners Mark has but I would think it must be upwards of 500 , probably many more ( certainly should be ).

Anyway supposing it was 500 and every one of those 500 were to contribute a measly £5 pounds per year which is equivalent of one night entrance fee to most venues up and down the country each week and less than many Sky TV subscriptions monthly to watch films or football which IMO are far less entertaining than the Soul Shack, this would I believe be more than enough to fund the Soul Shack for at least another year and then repeat the process all over again in a years time. If the number of listeners is less than this or some don't want to contribute then increase it to £10 per year which is equivalent to 20 pence per week.

Compare this to Setanta Sport charging £9.99 per month for Premiership Football.

Obviously this would have to be done in an organised manner but I'm sure all the soul lovers in this country and abroad would not begrudge paying such a small amount to keep this quality Radio show afloat for a little longer.

I totally agree with Jo that Solar Radio should pay Mark for presenting this show not the other way round but if that's the way it works then surely we can get our heads together and save our Soul Shack.

Paul & Sue , Doncaster.

Social source share

Now heres a suggestion, assuming Mark wants to continue and based on what he has said about block funding for 12 months.

I have no idea how many listeners Mark has but I would think it must be upwards of 500 , probably many more ( certainly should be ).

Anyway supposing it was 500 and every one of those 500 were to contribute a measly £5 pounds per year which is equivalent of one night entrance fee to most venues up and down the country each week and less than many Sky TV subscriptions monthly to watch films or football which IMO are far less entertaining than the Soul Shack, this would I believe be more than enough to fund the Soul Shack for at least another year and then repeat the process all over again in a years time. If the number of listeners is less than this or some don't want to contribute then increase it to £10 per year which is equivalent to 20 pence per week.

Compare this to Setanta Sport charging £9.99 per month for Premiership Football.

Obviously this would have to be done in an organised manner but I'm sure all the soul lovers in this country and abroad would not begrudge paying such a small amount to keep this quality Radio show afloat for a little longer.

I totally agree with Jo that Solar Radio should pay Mark for presenting this show not the other way round but if that's the way it works then surely we can get our heads together and save our Soul Shack.

Paul & Sue , Doncaster.

Paul/Sue, as ever your comments and support is most welcome, however what you suggest with the funding issues is a good idea but the fact is it would still mean people, you, others and the many 'Friends Of The Soul Shack' would be bailing me out and that I feel is unfair and something although I have been very moved and humbled that the donations have kept me going it somehow does not sit right anymore with me, to be honest I've never liked the begging bowl approach to this but have continued doing the show because I simply loved doing it. Asking for money has always been difficult for me to publically ask on here in the past has been something I've hated doing as is sending out generic Emails, writing to people and as Tony Monson at Solar stated basically bending over backwards to get the funding from people is something that I'm not prepared to do anymore as it's chipped away at me to the point of well this basically.

Regards the numbers of people who listen to the show I have no idea what that figure is but would suspect it's far more than 500 but who knows? if it was 5 it's still been a blast to do over the past almost seven years.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Anyway supposing it was 500 and every one of those 500 were to contribute a measly £5 pounds per year which is equivalent of one night entrance fee to most venues up and down the country each week and less than many Sky TV subscriptions monthly to watch films or football which IMO are far less entertaining than the Soul Shack, this would I believe be more than enough to fund the Soul Shack for at least another year

Paul & Sue, an excellent idea - subscription radio but...

Obviously this would have to be done in an organised manner...that's where your geniusly simple idea comes unstuck. If Solar was organised then Mark wouldn't be in this position. What seems blindingly obvious to us seems to be rocket science for the management of Solar......and it isn't down to Mark to organise and handle funding or receive monies off anyone. :D

Jo

Social source share

Jo, thanks for your support and all the comments and suggestions from everyone but in the past couple of days I've been getting the two play boxes sorted out and getting ready to I hope get out there on a far more regular basis and do what I enjoy best and that's playing a few tunes which has something I've let slip in recent years mainly due to work, family circumstances and commitments which I always put first now, looking at the tunes in the boxes as I have with the show I still feel I can make a contribution to the scene and will continue to do so when kindly asked...but basically with the green light from Jacqui I'm up for it again big time!, I feel that the radio gig made me a little lazy with the real deal stuff which is of course club based. never say never with the radio thing but for the time being it's very much over. Sure I would loved to been able to do both the radio and the venues together but as I've stated I'm not prepared for people and friends to keep me going with the generous contributions and donations anymore.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

LIKE MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY SAID,SUNDAY NIGHTS AIN`T GOING TO BE THE SAME.

RECOVERING FROM AN ALL-NIGHTER ON A SUNDAY NIGHT WITH SOLAR ON THE RADIO,BECAME THE NORM IN MY GAFF.(PEN & PAPER ON THE TABLE,FOR THEM LITTLE TREATS YOU NOW AND THEN USED TO THROW IN).

THANKS ALSO,FOR THE MENTIONS ON YOUR SHOW ABOUT PIEARCEBRIDGE SOUL NIGHTS AT THE GEORGE HOTEL.I BELIEVED THIS HELPED AS WELL AS HARRY`S PROMOTING IN IT`S EARLY LIFE.

LIKE ALL GREAT BOXERS,FINISH A WINNER.DONT MAKE COUNTLESS COMEBACKS.......HENRY COOPER,SAID THAT. :D .

BEST REGARDS.....NEIL.

Social source share

LIKE MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY SAID,SUNDAY NIGHTS AIN`T GOING TO BE THE SAME.

RECOVERING FROM AN ALL-NIGHTER ON A SUNDAY NIGHT WITH SOLAR ON THE RADIO,BECAME THE NORM IN MY GAFF.(PEN & PAPER ON THE TABLE,FOR THEM LITTLE TREATS YOU NOW AND THEN USED TO THROW IN).

THANKS ALSO,FOR THE MENTIONS ON YOUR SHOW ABOUT PIEARCEBRIDGE SOUL NIGHTS AT THE GEORGE HOTEL.I BELIEVED THIS HELPED AS WELL AS HARRY`S PROMOTING IN IT`S EARLY LIFE.

LIKE ALL GREAT BOXERS,FINISH A WINNER.DONT MAKE COUNTLESS COMEBACKS.......HENRY COOPER,SAID THAT. :D .

BEST REGARDS.....NEIL.

Cheers Neil.....Henry Cooper was right mate so no problems there regarding comebacks, if something else comes my way radio wise in the future then who knows but never go over old ground.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Just to let anyone know who's interested that the final 'Soul Shack' will broadcast on Sunday September 2nd, regular shows until then, thanks again for all the messages, emails, phone calls showing support and good wishes for my efforts over the past seven years.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mr B such sad news, persoanally thought the soul shack was one of the best on the radio, he's cost me a small fortune since I tuned in to listen :lol: . But serously Mark like many others have said already, its never gonna be the same on Sundays as it was the end of the weekend for me, and set me up til friday night came along again. I have enjoyed all the guests and the varied sounds they have, thank you so much for the invite, just a shame I never made it over due to my studies (4 years is a long time but nearly over thank god). I will enjoy listening to your remaining shows and am certain that the last on September the 2nd will be a very memorable broadcast, give it all you've got hun and go out with a bang. We are gonna miss ya here in Lincoln babycakes :lol: . :D:huh:

Sister D xxxxxxxxxxx

Social source share