Frank Popp

dave with the greatest of respect.... reckon youve got the wrong end of the stick were the northern scene is concerned..there would have been no breakaway without the soul communicators so how the f*** can it PISS all over it....we dont want mass produced piss..hence we got into rare soul music,,,still like hip teens ,,but asbsolutely nothing to do with soul music

Don't get me wrong, I love the Soul Communicators.

But occasionally i think when someone does a cover or reworking of something and does it better, you have to hold your hand up. Sometimes covers, reworkings are better than the original. That's true in any musical genre. Unfortunately in this case, it wasn't done by a black American hence the controversy. On the subject of mass produced piss.....some people would class a lot of Tamla Motown as just that. Doesn't make all their top ten hits crap, though.

Social source share

• Replies 96
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

im not saying it is not northern but some do as i said i like um and will play they say its new so it cant be northern which takes us back to what is northern

Hi Dave....deffinately not Northern...If I had to pigeon hole frank popp, closest would be Popcorn

Bazza

and "leave me alone" is far better than hipteens IMHO

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I just wonder how many other artists are recreating the soul sound they love and are being completely over looked for the likes of Frank Popp, Emma Bunton and Amy Winehouse.......... and who will then be discovered in 30 years time by soul collectors of the age.

Will they be northern soul or just retro pop then?

Social source share

I'm just back from my monthly gig in Perth Australia and once again there were multiple requests for "Hip Teens", from both Twisted Wheel graduates & newcomers to the scene alike. The floor was rammed so it doesn't really matter what label you put on it, or what colour/age the bloke is. No doubt about one thing though - its a dancer.

Cheers

Pete

It's also a complete rip off of I Need Help by Detroit Land Apples but no sample is mentioned on the album sleeve

Social source share

'It fills the dancefloor' so it must be OK

So did Tim Tam, Muriel Day, Weakspot, Hawai 5/0, and the like. All the DJs that played this crap used the same excuse that they play what the crowd want to hear.

Net Result - Northern Soul almost died.

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

Sorry I cant be PC on this subject, but its going once again in the wrong direction.

Ed

Social source share

'It fills the dancefloor' so it must be OK

So did Tim Tam, Muriel Day, Weakspot, Hawai 5/0, and the like. All the DJs that played this crap used the same excuse that they play what the crowd want to hear.

Net Result - Northern Soul almost died.

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

Sorry I cant be PC on this subject, but its going once again in the wrong direction.

Ed

You chose the wrong record with Weak Spot - for a short time it WAS the biggest record and more or less everyone wanted to hear it and it was a good record. Hawaii 5-0 - supposedly played by Sam as "a joke" came at a time when northern had never been more popular so I doubt if that many people left because of that. Tim Tam and Muriel Day were indeed crap of the highest order.

Social source share

Hip Teens is a throw away pop record, nothing less nothing more.. just a bit of fun.. its certainly the top of the tree of its type...

I can understand everybody liking it, I especially as some mad man :thumbsup: paid me £70 odd quid for mine off here... cost me £2.50..

Mal cool.gif

Social source share

I have always condemned the exploitative sampling of someone's backing track for someone else's untalented rap or lyric writing, and that includes the non-talents of Frank Poop. So when can we expect to hear "Rockefeller Skank" by Fatboy Slim being played at a Northern nite?

Bet the Soul Communicators, Edward Hamilton, Detroit Land Apples et al haven't earned any royalties on the success of these records either. If he were to release another single that got nationwide plays at Northern events, I won't waste time buying it. About as much finesse and Northern Soul content as a dog shitting on the kerb.

On a lighter note - Bearsy, this one's for your dad.........................

post-953-1186414982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest mel brat

(Frank Popp) ...has achieved exactly what Mr Levine (God bless him for his past discoveries) has tried to do and failed....

Dave

My sentiments (almost) exactly!

Social source share

Guest Dante

Agree with those who say that Frank Popp has achieved what Mr. Levine has not. I heard the his new productions on that myspace site and thought they were sh*te.

Now, about Frank Popp, I think a lot of people is misunderstanding it by calling it taylor made.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what's known in the northern scene as a taylor made record (Fotsee, Skiing in the snow, etc), is a song produced with the only will of make it succesfull in the northern dancefloors and by that earning money, isn't it? It's like a "reality show singer". It's not really an artist recording what he likes. It's a bunch of business men and producers who don't care about the music, copying an image and a sound just to make a hit. That's bullshite. That's not even music for me, it's just another manufactured product in the market for alienated customers.

And, from my point of view, Frank Popp Ensemble is not that at all. They're not trying to make a song that can be played in the northern soul scene just to make money off it. It's a group of young boys who LOVE the same music we love, that dance to the records we like to dance, etc. they play instruments and decide to put a band together to play the MUSIC, beacause, again, they love it. There are another two groups that I know of that do the same: The Inciters ( https://www.myspace.com/theinciters ), form LA, and The Elevations ( https://www.myspace.com/theelevations ) from Detroit. They're not guys in fancy studios, with image designers caring for the last inch of they outfits. They are people from the scene, playing the music of the scene, for the scene. They're guys in little underground studios, looking for an independent label trying to release their stuff because they want the world to discover the music that we care about.

I think FP Ensemble is a true soul group which is doing northern soul after more than 40 years than their idols. So, if you like it, the people like it, and you have it in your box, play it and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Dante

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Have just watched Frank Popp on you tube,heard it recently at various clubs in north west,just like to know what any one else thinks should it be played at a northern night?

Edward Hamilton samples.......... blond singers with 60s haircuts...................

I love them..................but they still aint Mike Terry are they!

And I dont think they were trying to be?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Juddy

Bet the Soul Communicators, Edward Hamilton, Detroit Land Apples et al haven't earned any royalties on the success of these records either. If he were to release another single that got nationwide plays at Northern events, I won't waste time buying it. About as much finesse and Northern Soul content as a dog shitting on the kerb.

Funny this should come up - I've just done a story on Chuck Corby for one of the local papers, and had the "pleasure" of telling him about Frank Popp's "Breakaway" sampling his Soul Communicators composition ... and while he'd never heard about it before last week, and certainly no royalties, Chuck was somewhat pleased that at least somebody cared. After all, most of these guys never got royalties anyway! :thumbsup:

How "successful" have Popp's records been in Europe? I read online that the "Breakaway" single hit #70, though I don't know where. (Germany?)

Was the album successful?

juddy

pittsburgh

Social source share

Funny this should come up - I've just done a story on Chuck Corby for one of the local papers, and had the "pleasure" of telling him about Frank Popp's "Breakaway" sampling his Soul Communicators composition ... and while he'd never heard about it before last week, and certainly no royalties, Chuck was somewhat pleased that at least somebody cared. After all, most of these guys never got royalties anyway! :thumbsup:

How "successful" have Popp's records been in Europe? I read online that the "Breakaway" single hit #70, though I don't know where. (Germany?)

juddy

pittsburgh

Probably a bit of a tangent - Chuck Corby was pleased that some one cared enough to sample his tracks, did'nt FP get a bit annoyed when their tracks were booted not long ago.

Doesnt seem right in my eyes. If you sample a track and the guy who sang it is still alive and you have a passion for the NS and its artists - surely spreading the love would include a bit of cash if you done alright out of the single?

Doesn't answer the thread lead but does kind of fit with some of the explanations about just being in it for the money.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Have just watched Frank Popp on you tube,heard it recently at various clubs in north west,just like to know what any one else thinks should it be played at a northern night?

Just had a look/listen to some Frank Popp tunes on You Tube as well, and though I do like some of his stuff, that live version of Ann Sexton's "You've Been Gone To Long" is pretty dreadful isn't it?

Social source share

pS Has any heard Amy Winehouse Rehab. :rolleyes: .....it's brilliant and cool and CURRENT!!!!!

While we're on the subject of Amy :yes: ....I was at a mates a week or so ago and he played a Dee Irwin track....think it was t'other side of "You Satisfy My Needs", I could be wrong, it was on Rotate though.....he asked me what current tune it reminded me of and .....blow me, it was "Rehab"...anybody else think so? or was it the Chateauneuf :wicked:

Social source share

While we're on the subject of Amy :wicked: ....I was at a mates a week or so ago and he played a Dee Irwin track....think it was t'other side of "You Satisfy My Needs", I could be wrong, it was on Rotate though.....he asked me what current tune it reminded me of and .....blow me, it was "Rehab"...anybody else think so? or was it the Chateauneuf :rolleyes:

yup, i reckon there is some truth in that? Big Dee Whitehouse ? What do you think?

dee_irwin.mp3

post-6465-1186541379_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Funny this should come up - I've just done a story on Chuck Corby for one of the local papers, and had the "pleasure" of telling him about Frank Popp's "Breakaway" sampling his Soul Communicators composition ... and while he'd never heard about it before last week, and certainly no royalties, Chuck was somewhat pleased that at least somebody cared. After all, most of these guys never got royalties anyway! :yes:

juddy

pittsburgh

I've not heard any Frank Popp, so cannot really comment at this point, but when the media says Chuck Corby was quite pleased- I think they really mean "flattered" in as much as someone has taken one of his long forgotten pieces of work and done it up - Jees, I'd be flattered if that happened to me, not sure I'd be pleased though without due credit for my work..... unsure.gif

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

There are many hundreds of records made in America by black artists in the requisite time period that don't get the attention they deserve.

Until these have been fully exploited I fail to see why a recording artificially manufactured as a soundalike of these fantastic records should have any place on a scene which is meant to be about celebrating the works of Black America.

Dave Godin returns from the grave, God help us.

It is NOT about celebrating the works of Black America. Do all records have to pass an authenticity test or something?

Social source share

I have now heard "Hip teens" having ventured into "youtube". Cockroaches are allowed to do this things with impunity apparantly.

As a piece of music it's quite vibrant and although borrowing heavily from other influences it has a certain something (and no programmed drumming) in the same way as I liked Lord Large;

I wouldn't class it as northern soul though, and would not wish to hear it at a club ph34r.gif

Social source share

Here goes then, in for a penny in for a pound. whistling.gif:yes:

The clue to me is in Northern SOUL, yes I know you don't have to be black to be soulful but it bloody well helps. Mr Popp's stuff reminds me of early 60's Mod stuff like Georgie Fame etc, just my humble opinion, and I agree it's danceable but it don't do it for me. :no:

As for Mr Levine he was the main man for me in the early 70's but his attempts to recreate the Northern formula has failed miserably with possibly 2 or 3 decent tracks out of his entire output, as Phil intimated bland & too similar to each other. By the way Phil will you be playing it at Burnley? If so let me know cos I'll be having me legs waxed that night, it'll be a lot less painful. :shades:

Awaiting missile strike in atomic bunker,

Spot. :thumbup:

Edited by spot
Social source share

Dave Godin returns from the grave, God help us.

It is NOT about celebrating the works of Black America. Do all records have to pass an authenticity test or something?

Maybe the scene would be better if they did. :thumbsup:

If it's not about celebrating the genius of the (predominantly) Black Americans who made the music then please enlighten us all as to what exactly a "RARE SOUL" scene should be about.

Social source share

Maybe the scene would be better if they did. :thumbsup:

If it's not about celebrating the genius of the (predominantly) Black Americans who made the music then please enlighten us all as to what exactly a "RARE SOUL" scene should be about.

You can keep your 'rare soul' scene, I'll stick with the 'northern soul' scene thanks.

Would you like to tell well-known white singer Dean Parrish his records are not a patch on certain 10th rate black artists who can't sing too well but are more worthy because of their colour?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

yup, i reckon there is some truth in that? Big Dee Whitehouse ? What do you think?

dee_irwin.mp3

post-6465-1186541379_thumb.jpg

Well, I hope Amy's saved some of the royalties she earned from "Rehab" because I'm just about to send this to Dee's widow Peggy and his former publisher (and close friend of us both) Alan Warner. and see what they make of it. I'm sure that there's sound grounds for a plagiarism case here...

Social source share

You can keep your 'rare soul' scene, I'll stick with the 'northern soul' scene thanks.

Would you like to tell well-known white singer Dean Parrish his records are not a patch on certain 10th rate black artists who can't sing too well but are more worthy because of their colour?

Who said anything about 'worthiness'?

When I buy records in a soul context (Northern or otherwise) then yes, I prefer them to be made by black artists. Like it or not, soul music was a black American invention and IMHO is best done by black American artists. Others seem to prefer this approach too. I wasn't aware that this constituted a unique or radical view.

A bad record is a bad record and I'd no more buy a bad record made by a black artist than I would a bad record made by a white artist. There's no need to.

And no need to play Frank Popp. Even on the Northern scene. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Who said anything about 'worthiness'?

When I buy records in a soul context (Northern or otherwise) then yes, I prefer them to be made by black artists. Like it or not, soul music was a black American invention and IMHO is best done by black American artists. Others seem to prefer this approach too. I wasn't aware that this constituted a unique or radical view.

A bad record is a bad record and I'd no more buy a bad record made by a black artist than I would a bad record made by a white artist. There's no need to.

And no need to play Frank Popp. Even on the Northern scene. :lol:

For those who do not know what Mr Popp looks like .....

Then if you cross paths you can give him a slap for what he parades as music ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1186596713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

For those who do not know what Mr Popp looks like .....

Then if you cross paths you can give him a slap for what he parades as music ......

Malc Burton

I've got nothing against Herr Popp - he's good at what he does, but I personally don't believe that it has a place on a rare soul scene.

I bet he's just as bemused that people are playing his records in place of the records that inspired his music.

Social source share

to be fair pete, sweeney did use the word predominantly which obviously doesn't mean exclusively.

dean told me in madrid that one of the great honours of his life was being told by ben e king that he was a fantastic soul singer, the other great honour was being able to sit in on an R&B jam session with the young jimmy james, later to become jimi hendrix. both gentlemen were decidedly black, dean, as we all know, is decidedly white. dean has earned his laurels. frank? well, frank is frank. & as dylan said in the sleeve notes to JWH, the key is frank. sadly, my feet tap as much to hip teens as they do to determination.

fetch me a quack...

Social source share

Well, I hope Amy's saved some of the royalties she earned from "Rehab" because I'm just about to send this to Dee's widow Peggy and his former publisher (and close friend of us both) Alan Warner. and see what they make of it. I'm sure that there's sound grounds for a plagiarism case here...

:lol: I would suspect so

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Dave Godin returns from the grave, God help us...

This comment particularly stinks. Dave Godin could wipe the floor with any writer on Soul music I've ever read, so show some respect for once.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Surprised to see Frank Popp has finally arrived on the island. He's been around in Germany for a few years and i must say i've always had a good time seeing him and band perform as well as putting on his records. Not quite sure if it is Northern or not though. Anyway, as long as he's putting out good records and not taking the piss put of good records, he does deserve some respect for his work. Think he really does know what he's doing and really loves the music. This should be kept in mind.

i went to see frank popp last year and i thought they were excellent,

Social source share

hi all,

i personally feel that if the sound is right and it is played at northern nights then it must be ns. nichol willis and the soul investigators, are creating new songs but with a northern/ funk sound and attitude, this is not manufacturing or reproduction, and certainly not pop.

as for frank popp, definately a dancer, and if it has the right sound and the crowds enjoying it whats the problem?

Social source share

Funny innit?

For years owd bastads (I'd qualify!) have been moaning on "Music today PFHAAA!! not a patch on the stuff I was brought up on!"

Then as soon as someone makes music in the same vein as the stuff they were brought up on..... :wicked::thumbsup:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert