• Replies 19
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest soulville

Cheers guys, Not too keen on the bigdug as its for a spare room but the really useful is a new approach. Toad do you have these? I take it you have to lift the boxes out to browse and they lift them back up to put them back. Would double as a workout!! Great for archive storage though but too much mucking about for me I think.

What I'd like is a floor to celing along one wall. Would do the trick nicely so some modular stuff would make best use of the space. Ikea is winning at the moment with their bonde range to mix and match or possibly deconomix.

The 7" boxes look tempting though, never easy to store those.

keep em coming

soulville

Social source share

Cheers guys, Not too keen on the bigdug as its for a spare room but the really useful is a new approach. Toad do you have these? I take it you have to lift the boxes out to browse and they lift them back up to put them back. Would double as a workout!! Great for archive storage though but too much mucking about for me I think.

What I'd like is a floor to celing along one wall. Would do the trick nicely so some modular stuff would make best use of the space. Ikea is winning at the moment with their bonde range to mix and match or possibly deconomix.

The 7" boxes look tempting though, never easy to store those.

keep em coming

soulville

I'm 100% ikea bookshelves (not totally floor to ceiling but works well):

post-5120-1186242421_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest soulville

post-8622-1186242460_thumb.jpg

WWW AUDIO AFFAIRS

I like this style but would be too expensive at £25/cube or at least thats what they were where I saw them. I'll check out the audio affairs later. I'm off to see the simpsons movie with the kids.

George

Social source share

I like this style but would be too expensive at £25/cube or at least thats what they were where I saw them. I'll check out the audio affairs later. I'm off to see the simpsons movie with the kids.

George

post-4912-1186250840_thumb.jpg

The B/W boxes look great and hold loads of 45s, Ikea about £4 each, enough leveredge to store on top of each other.. The shelving for albums is made up of 16 cubes to store your l.ps and soul books, Ikea £65....bargain! Available in black or white.

post-4912-1186251099_thumb.jpg

Half the size (and price) than the 16 cuber, turned on its side makes a great top for your decks! Just the right height too! Ikea!

Social source share

Guest soulville

Are those the expidite ones soulsider? £65 for 16 cubes sounds good.

I can't find any website for the audio affairs, athough I've seen similar. Bet they lok real cool all neatly stacked. The beauty with modular is you can just add and stack as you like. I posted on the soul-source forum as well and there are some novel ideas on there.really useful products have great plastic boxes for 7" but the 12" looks like a lot of heavy lifting would be involed.

george

Social source share

Are those the expidite ones soulsider? £65 for 16 cubes sounds good.

I can't find any website for the audio affairs, athough I've seen similar. Bet they lok real cool all neatly stacked. The beauty with modular is you can just add and stack as you like. I posted on the soul-source forum as well and there are some novel ideas on there.really useful products have great plastic boxes for 7" but the 12" looks like a lot of heavy lifting would be involed.

george

Yes George, Expidite, that's them. Great value @ £65, seen the same one's in John Lewis for over £200!! Then in Habitat for nearly £300!!

Of course, Ikea all comes flat pack so no problem in getting it home.

Social source share

I'm planning on kitting out my reacord room and I posted thread on the essentialmodern soul list on the off topic pages.

What say you serious hard core collecting folks. Ikea, bespoke joiner or bricks and planks?

https://www.essentialmodernsoul.nl

George

...went and got loads of nice wood from a wood merchant (not the sh*te you get from B&Q etc) and made them - floor to ceiling - took about 3-4 days, but beats anything you can buy. If you've able to make your own, always best.

Social source share

My knees aren't the best and never liked having records on 'show' so I had a bespoke cabinet made for most of my 45s. A mate came across a guy who made them for a record company back home. It was deep because it had draws that fit in instead of records single stacked across in shallow shelves, so the quantity looked much less too.

The best bit was that each draw came out and you could sit on a chair and comfortably put it on your lap near the player. Or sit on a lounge and flick through in comfort. The cabinet looked nothing like a record store with the right varnish and handles, so visiting friends and family didn't think you were "weird" (as my cousin said when I accidently left some draws open one day). Also, these cabinets are so sturdy that 2 people struggle to lift each carcass and the draws are 20mm MDF .

Since the move here, I use a mix of boxes stacked away. For me, I don't use my records often here, so they don't need to be handy. There's record dj boxes, a cheap pine blanket box with carboard boxes for 25 or 50 45's stacked inside, but I also bought some great plastic 45 storage boxes from the USA - >CLICK HERE<. They're a real b** to put together, but worth it. The smaller ones might even work well on open shelves with a cover over for privacy

Thing is, you need to think how you'll use them and how often you want to dust them... and then there's the other consideration: how much you want to spend

m

Social source share

Yes George, Expidite, that's them. Great value @ £65, seen the same one's in John Lewis for over £200!! Then in Habitat for nearly £300!!

Of course, Ikea all comes flat pack so no problem in getting it home.

For 12" records I also use the Expedit , and at that price i think it's a crime not to use it. I should've bought the bigger type though, which has 25 compartiments insteas of 16 for the normal size.

I think expedit's spelt without an e in the end, not trying to be a know-it-all, but better get the spelling right if you're looking for something on the net me thinks.

For 7" records i use >>>THIS<<<, but i'm looking for something better, some real shelves instead of the boxes.

Social source share

Guest soulville

For 12" records I also use the Expedit , and at that price i think it's a crime not to use it. I should've bought the bigger type though, which has 25 compartiments insteas of 16 for the normal size.

I think expedit's spelt without an e in the end, not trying to be a know-it-all, but better get the spelling right if you're looking for something on the net me thinks.

For 7" records i use >>>THIS<<<, but i'm looking for something better, some real shelves instead of the boxes.

Yeah I think I'll go with the expidit. What are the 7" boxes made of? My German is not too good:o)

soulville

Social source share

The 7" boxes are cardboard, but it's heavy duty stuff. I've done a few record fairs with it, and people have even used the boxes to sit on, and they're still in good nick.

If your german is not all that you can buy the boxes on ebay. their ebay name is protectedgmbh, and you can pay via bank transfer. Shipping costs stay the same, whatever amount of boxes you buy i think.

Social source share

£10 in materials and half an hour to knock together. Just MDF, a few screws, some shelving batons and then cardboard trays to put your 45s in:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I can also vouch for the Ikea Expedit unit, in particular the 25 compartment one which I am just looking at now in my study.....an absolute bargain at £99! It is especially suitable for albums and 12" although not so great if you are a 7" only collector.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert