Ian Levine On Mary Fox Soul Show

I suppose because I said I liked his stuff and said it had a right to be called Northern Soul, you maybe label me as a Levine disciple?

Well I'm not. And I certainly don't agree with the way IL launched into folks the way he did on the radio show. But then again I believe in turning the other cheek. But that's because I'm actually a disciple of a different jewish bloke - one who was crucified 2000 years ago and whose entry into m y life changed everything for me.

Whether Levine's album has the right to be called northern soul will be proven if it gets played and accepted at northern events.. pretty doubtful IMHO.

Not too sure what the religous stuff has got to do with it, but....

post-1535-1186362936.jpg

:lol:

Social source share

• Replies 81
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Whether Levine's album has the right to be called northern soul will be proven if it gets played and accepted at northern events.. pretty doubtful IMHO.

Well on the other Levine related topic Hitsville Chalky said he played the AngeloStarr track and indicated that others would too, and that people liked it so I think at least one track can now be called Northern Soul?

Not too sure what the religous stuff has got to do with it, but....

Well like all fanatics I have to get my point across any chance I get :lol:

Social source share

Well maybe Thora Hird then :lol: Can't take him seriously, although I probably shouldn't have lsitened and I wouldn't have if my attention hadn't been drawn to it by this thread. Prefer Messrs Searling and Bicknell on the radio to be honest :lol:

Just in case anybody doesn't know, Ian Levines nickname in the mid Seventies was ENA after the Coronation St character Ena Sharples. Some of the factual information about "names & places" he mentioned was interesting. Unfortunatly the usual.... I discovered northern soul / Kiosk in Blackpool .....etc scenerio was inevitable I suppose.

No one person is bigger than the "Scene", and I dont think Ian Levine has embraced that fact yet.

Regards Ritchie :lol:

Social source share

Please note, I have deleted my two posts connected with this thread as I wish to have nothing more to do with this topic, getting nasty Emials from third parties leaves me cold to the behavior of some people connected with this scene and the subject of this thread.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Who from Mark, leviens disiples?

f*** them lot :lol:

Social source share

Please note, I have deleted my two posts connected with this thread as I wish to have nothing more to do with this topic, getting nasty Emials from third parties leaves me cold to the behavior of some people connected with this scene and the subject of this thread.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark,

If these emails are abusive or nasty then that kind of behaviour simply cannot be condoned. I think whoever has sent these emails should be named and their content exposed. If they habve used SS PM facilities then possibly banned from the site for abuse. Mods ?

This is supposed to be a forum for discussion and debate isn't it?

Northern Soul is and always has been a very broad church, and as such will lead to conflict of opinion from time to time, but when it disintegrates to abusive or nasty personal messages and emails then that's taking things waaayyy too far.

That's how I feel anyway.

Phil

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Does this have anything to do with you stopping doing the radio show?

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Name the f*ckers Mark

been laughing at some of the antics have read on here

but now at point where enough is enough

anyone who has read or recieved threating/abusive emails/pms involved with posts on here , ask can you please get in touch either via pm or the contact us link

Social source share

Does this have anything to do with you stopping doing the radio show?

None what so ever Pete, if it needs to come out then I will keep you all posted, but this has nothing to do with me stopping doing the radio show as I've been considering my options and future of the show for sometime now, thanks for your concern Pete.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Name the f*ckers Mark

been laughing at some of the antics have read on here

but now at point where enough is enough

anyone who has read or recieved threating/abusive emails/pms involved with posts on here , ask can you please get in touch either via pm or the contact us link

Hi Mike, I think it could be just me mate who has recieved an email, guess I'm an easy target with the show, but if you can find anywhere on SS where I have slagged off anything connected with this or other threads with reference to Mr Levine then please show me, I may have perhaps been a little glib and disrespectful but that's it, all I said was that the subject was of no interest to me and not to fuel the fire and often people can shot themselves in the foot without any help from others, at no time have I questioned the merits of certain recorded work, it would seem and has been suggested in a second Email that as Disc Jockey's I/we have to champion records, yes is the case if I/we feel that it falls into what I/we are about, I have certainly never said a bad word about anybody or anything connected with the Soul scene on my seven year time on Solar. I have never played a tune for the sake of it either when DJ'ing out at the venues or on the show, I would like to think that I have some integrity musically and always have to be honest and true to myself...what happened to free speach and opinion anyway?

I replied to this Email in a professional and polite manner and passed on copies to others it concerned which is no one connected directly with SS.

Have no fears Mike if this gets out of hand I will print the contents of the Email in full which again will cement and confirm just how costic this whole episode really is.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Thanks for the reply Mark, appreciated.

Sure you can understand why any member feeling a need to delete posts on here is a major concern to me, espically when take into account other recent news.

Soul Source is supposed to be a site about soul music, where soul fans can post their view on all soul related matters without looking over their shoulder

Does seem there are some f*****s who can't accept this and are tryng to censor/controls members views on here

All for a easy life me, but have to say that am taking these attempts to influnce what is posted on here as deliberate attempts to damage what we have got going on here ...

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

bump for chris l

Social source share

Hi Mike, I think it could be just me mate who has recieved an email, guess I'm an easy target with the show, but if you can find anywhere on SS where I have slagged off anything connected with this or other threads with reference to Mr Levine then please show me, I may have perhaps been a little glib and disrespectful but that's it, all I said was that the subject was of no interest to me and not to fuel the fire and often people can shot themselves in the foot without any help from others, at no time have I questioned the merits of certain recorded work, it would seem and has been suggested in a second Email that as Disc Jockey's I/we have to champion records, yes is the case if I/we feel that it falls into what I/we are about, I have certainly never said a bad word about anybody or anything connected with the Soul scene on my seven year time on Solar. I have never played a tune for the sake of it either when DJ'ing out at the venues or on the show, I would like to think that I have some integrity musically and always have to be honest and true to myself...what happened to free speach and opinion anyway?

I replied to this Email in a professional and polite manner and passed on copies to others it concerned which is no one connected directly with SS.

Have no fears Mike if this gets out of hand I will print the contents of the Email in full which again will cement and confirm just how costic this whole episode really is.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark I understand your approach and I've always noticed how diplomatic and polite you are in your replies over the years. However, now and again, sometimes you just have stand up to people and tell them to f*ck off.

Social source share

Mark I understand your approach and I've always noticed how diplomatic and polite you are in your replies over the years. However, now and again, sometimes you just have stand up to people and tell them to f*ck off.

Ab-so-lute Lee. :thumbsup:

I haven't received any offensive emails from these earthworms, and am slightly disappointed :lol:

Social source share

Sure you can understand why any member feeling a need to delete posts on here is a major concern to me, espically when take into account other recent news.

Soul Source is supposed to be a site about soul music, where soul fans can post their view on all soul related matters without looking over their shoulder

Does seem there are some f*****s who can't accept this and are tryng to censor/controls members views on here

Thanks for that Mike.....That why I hardley post on here any more.

Some people won't accept others point of view. :D:lol::no::lol:

Social source share

I am enjoying my new life as a cocroach, how about every one else. At least us roaches have hard shell not like a cetain mr levine who's dummy is thinking of leaving him cos he is fed up of living outside the pram :D oooops I think I am turning into mr darcy, no offensive terry just I am not used to being stroppy :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Can't listen to this when the BBC player comes up i get no sound? anyone else have this problem. Pissing me rite of as i cant listen to stuart cosgroves show either. only happens with BBC radio all other downloads and links play no probs. Anybody got a solution would like to hear this interview.

Can you not download the link and listen to it in Real Player?

I think 'The Wrong Side Of Town' proves IL can make northern soul these days. But the kind of soul fans I know don't like being told what to like. They like to discover a track by the Volumes (for example)where originality, 40 years and three thousand miles separates them. Difficult to arrive at the same credibilty level with this bloke dancing next to me at the Rocket ...

Social source share

Can you not download the link and listen to it in Real Player?

I think 'The Wrong Side Of Town' proves IL can make northern soul these days. But the kind of soul fans I know don't like being told what to like. They like to discover a track by the Volumes (for example)where originality, 40 years and three thousand miles separates them. Difficult to arrive at the same credibilty level with this bloke dancing next to me at the Rocket ...

Still not happening will try downloading real player again might be a fault with that?

Social source share

Anyway.................Good luck to Ian with his new Lp , I dont think he really meant to offend us with the Cockroach thing!!! :lol:

You will either like it and buy it or you will think it is shite! Thats it..........................!!!!

I would thank Soul Source for the Great FREE PUBLICITY ............. Everyones a winner! :D

And I do wish IL the very best with his latest product !

Not to my taste....but I am sure someone out there will like it! :D

"dont let the buggers grind you down" :thumbsup:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert