Ian Levine On Mary Fox Soul Show

Ian Levine appeared on this show this evening and spoke highly of the contributors to this forum :lol:

Should you wish to hear what he had to say then the show is available on the Internet "listen Again" He comes in about half way through the show.

I must admit as a new member I had no axe to grind either way in the great Levine debate but after listening to him for the last hour I can now see why he engenders such strong feelings.

After a "how great I am, How I discovered every great northern record and everything else after me is rubbish" speech he then proceeds to take up the rest of the show with a massive plug for his new album, a slagging off of Soul Source and proceeds to interrupt Mary whenever she tries to get a word in edgeways...

I now know why.....

Phatspinner

Social source share

• Replies 81
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Ian Levine appeared on this show this evening and spoke highly of the contributors to this forum :lol:

Should you wish to hear what he had to say then the show is available on the Internet "listen Again" He comes in about half way through the show.

I must admit as a new member I had no axe to grind either way in the great Levine debate but after listening to him for the last hour I can now see why he engenders such strong feelings.

After a "how great I am, How I discovered every great northern record and everything else after me is rubbish" speech he then proceeds to take up the rest of the show with a massive plug for his new album, a slagging off of Soul Source and proceeds to interrupt Mary whenever she tries to get a word in edgeways...

I now know why.....

Phatspinner

even if he was nice......i still think his new stuff could have been better produced? :yes:

But I am only in my early 30s - never went to the mecca - spent all my youth at the 100 club, so I have no fond memories of Ian !

What do I know........Im only a kid :D Im still not buying his new thing!

Never seen anyone spoil decent vocals like this before :yes: Real bad Production

At least "Harry Starr" got played :yes:

And I am not a big fan of 70s...............But leave our "Sam" alone you "Cocksucker"...............

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Bogue

even if he was nice......i still think his new stuff could have been better produced? :yes:

But I am only in my early 30s - never went to the mecca - spent all my youth at the 100 club, so I have no fond memories of Ian !

What do I know........Im only a kid :D Im still not buying his new thing!

Never seen anyone spoil decent vocals like this before :yes: Real bad Production

At least "Harry Starr" got played :lol:

Think you best get off this site then Mossy ! You have to be 55 to be on this site IL just told me on my headphones :yes: & Keb Darge & the Stafford guys only played the shit he threw out years earlier :wave: & Soul Sam :yes: can't repeat it :D

Social source share

Think you best get off this site then Mossy ! You have to be 55 to be on this site IL just told me on my headphones :yes: & Keb Darge & the Stafford guys only played the shit he threw out years earlier :yes: & Soul Sam :ohmy: can't repeat it :lol:

ALL THE BEST FROM THE COCKROACH COLLECTORS :thumbup:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Just heard IL has just re-recorded Freddie Houston - If I had known (THE shit) remix

GO EGO EGO GO CHAP............................................IF YOU WERE AT THE 100 CLUB IN 1991 YOU WOULD STILL HAVE RESPECT!

THEY WERE NICE CHAPS ASWELL :thumbup:

ALL THE BEST FROM THE COCKROACH COLLECTORS :ohmy:

:lol: One thing Mossy, at least we will survive a nuclear attack !

Always said i didn't have a problem with IL the person, think i might rethink that, he's just a childish tw*t !

Bit that cracked me up was after launching in to a tirade about us 'cockroaches' & the Stafford guys not knowing what the real Northern Soul sound is, out booms that rediculus beat box drum roll that starts 90% of his recordings :yes:

I think the people who were sticking up for him & castigating everyone who said they didn't like his music in the Pete S thread about the album would do well to listen to that show, might change their mind somewhat !

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

:lol: One thing Mossy, at least we will survive a nuclear attack !

Always said i didn't have a problem with IL the person, think i might rethink that, he's just a childish twat !

Bit that cracked me up was after launching in to a tirade about us 'cockroaches' & the Stafford guys not knowing what the real Northern Soul sound is, out booms that rediculus beat box drum roll that starts 90% of his recordings :yes:

I think the people who were sticking up for him & castigating everyone who said they didn't like his music in the Pete S thread about the album would do well to listen to that show, might change their mind somewhat !

ANYWAYS...............................DETROIT 60S COCKROACH PARTY AT BIG DADDYS HOUSE :yes:

I STILL LOVE IT FOR WHAT IT IS FOR ME NOW......TODAY !!!!! NOT FOR WHAT IT DID FOR ME 20 YEARS AGO!!!!

NOW...................CAN WE HAVE A CHAT ABOUT STAFFORD???????????????

COCKROCHES EVERYWHERE...................UNITE AND FIGHT :ohmy: !

WHATS OUR SAM DONE TOO YOU? :thumbup: LEAVE SAM ALONE!!!!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

If we where cokc-roaches wouldnt allnighters be pakced every week with young cokcer-roaches,with a new allnighter opening every weekend,in every town :thumbup:

Social source share

If we where cokc-roaches wouldnt allnighters be pakced every week with young cokcer-roaches,with a new allnighter opening every weekend,in every town :lol:

"tHE COCKROACH" ......................... 7 TILL LATE....................FREE BAR

:thumbup:

MY LAD ASKED................................ARE YOU AN ORIGINAL COCKROACH.........?????????????

I PUT ON GEORGE FREEMAN AND SAID.............................YUP :ohmy:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

"tHE COCKROACH" ......................... 7 TILL LATE....................FREE BAR

MY LAD ASKED................................ARE YOU AN ORIGINAL COCKROACH.........?????????????

I PUT ON GEORGE FREEMAN AND SAID.............................YUP :yes:

(DONT SEE ANY COOL LADS BEHAVING IN THIS WAY :ohmy: )

The "original" :lol: cokcroach favourit at the mo`"three feet from the gutter".

Social source share

Think you best get off this site then Mossy ! You have to be 55 to be on this site IL just told me on my headphones :yes: & Keb Darge & the Stafford guys only played the shit he threw out years earlier :yes: & Soul Sam :lol: can't repeat it :lol:

BUT ITS TRUE...........I AM A LATE 1970S KID..................NOT LIKE ALL YOU OLDIES!!

OR SHOULD I SAY...................................................COCKROACHOLDIES :thumbup:

AND IF YOU ARE INTO RNB YOU ARE A "POPCOCKROACHCORN " FAN :yes:

WHAT ABOUT A "COCKSUCKINGROACHE" SORT OF GEEZER :lol:

:yes::ohmy:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

BUT ITS TRUE...........I AM A LATE 1970S KID..................NOT LIKE ALL YOU OLDIES!!

OR SHOULD I SAY...................................................COCKROACHOLDIES :thumbup:

AND IF YOU ARE INTO RNB YOU ARE A "POPCOCKROACHCORN " FAN :lol:

WHAT ABOUT A "COCKSUCKINGROACHE" SORT OF GEEZER :lol:

:yes::ohmy:

Anyway, if you have nothing good to say ..... :yes: then i am going to bed

Edited by mossy
Social source share

ANYWAYS...............................DETROIT 60S COCKROACH PARTY AT BIG DADDYS HOUSE :yes:

I STILL LOVE IT FOR WHAT IT IS FOR ME NOW......TODAY !!!!! NOT FOR WHAT IT DID FOR ME 20 YEARS AGO!!!!

NOW...................CAN WE HAVE A CHAT ABOUT STAFFORD???????????????

COCKROCHES EVERYWHERE...................UNITE AND FIGHT :yes: !

WHATS OUR SAM DONE TOO YOU? "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN" :lol: LEAVE SAM ALONE!!!!

"DONT PROMISE TO DELIVER SOMETHING THAT ARRIVED 20 YEARS EARLIER" :thumbup:

SWEAR WORDS OMMITTED BY THE OWNER :ohmy:

Post deleted.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

I just feel sorry for Mary Fox who had to endure an hours worth of deluded ranting from him. Then again if it had been my show he would've been chucked out of the door after 5 minutes.

Was this was supposed to be part of the promotional campaign for his new album?

A Gerald Ratner moment or what?

Derek :thumbup:

Social source share

I just feel sorry for Mary Fox who had to endure an hours worth of deluded ranting from him. Then again if it had been my show he would've been chucked out of the door after 5 minutes.

Was this was supposed to be part of the promotional campaign for his new album?

A Gerald Ratner moment or what?

Derek :thumbup:

He was a bit upset about soul source wasn't he?

I thought the Vanessa haynes track wasn't bad...tbh none of them were that bad but the production just seemed a bit Stock Aitken and Waterman like his usual stuff....like the cds you get from morrisons! I know it's been said before but I'm not a 55 year old chin stroker who likes out of tune Shrine recordings :ohmy:

Social source share

He was a bit upset about soul source wasn't he?

I thought the Vanessa haynes track wasn't bad...tbh none of them were that bad but the production just seemed a bit Stock Aitken and Waterman like his usual stuff....like the cds you get from morrisons! I know it's been said before but I'm not a 55 year old chin stroker who likes out of tune Shrine recordings :ohmy:

Just listened to the show, and yes he is just a self gratifying Tw*t. The one record he most definatley made is the one for using "I" or "ME" the most times in any interview..

How did Mary put up with him for all that time especially when he kept butting in :thumbup: I had to laugh when he said to Mary about one of his new tracks "Don't you think that just screams Northern Soul" and all she could say was "um mmm".

QoFxx

Social source share

Sorry i was not gonna interject or contribute to this thread further but how about this......have you ever heard the saying 'all publicity is good publicity'? so as with the Album debate don't fuel it or even give this coverage here? as it seems far easier to let some people shoot themselves in the foot without help from anyone else!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

The same can be said for Soul Source! We may get a few more members who want to see what all the fuss is about. I think he loves it really...as you say as long as folk are talking about him it he doesn't care what they're saying :thumbup:

Social source share

No offence Mossy but I would rather stay out of this one mate, i never contribute to threads on here that don't interest me or one's which have very little importance to me,(slight contridiction as i'm posting this reply...lol) this and the Album debate certainly have no interest to me so like all good Cockroches i'll cruel back under my stone on this one if it's all the same to you, often better to ignore such things as Little Anthony once said 'I'm On The Outside Looking In' which is very much the case here, which is reference to some people leaving the party many years ago who's contribution was without question huge and very important to the scene's history, I would like to think that the music is King and no one else.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

You are of course bang on as usual Mark. A Dignified silence is probably more positive. I just bit when he started insulting the Soul scene and Soul Source in the way he did.

I just dont think it is on!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

you are of course bang on as usual Mark. A Dignified silence is probably more positive. I just bit when he started insulting the Soul scene in the way he did.

I am 53 this year, around the same age as Ian, however I have to say that my parents didn't own a car,

we went everywhere by train, bus or walked. At 16 Florida wasn't even a dream, it was impossible.

If the guy made the most of his circumstances, then fair play, but he should remember that not all have had that chance in life.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Special mention of The Carstairs for Pete Smith :thumbup:

I must admit i find the whole Levine thing just funny these days. I met Ian a few times and he was always a nice enough bloke, very nervous almost. I remember when he came back on the scene about ten or so years ago and he was at Stoke just picking huge piles of records out of boxes and passing them to an aide for purchase, the record bar was very aware of him and Butch and Tim Ashebende were joking with him and commenting to him that he'd lost weight, no animosity. This was before the Crossfire/Rocket debacle which caused him real problems and was probably the reason he cleared off again.

I have no feelings either way towards Ian, i don't him well enough, but i think the scene is more interesting for these characters and i take my hat off to anyone who promotes successful venues past or present.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I am 53 this year, around the same age as Ian, however I have to say that my parents didn't own a car,

we went everywhere by train, bus or walked. At 16 Florida wasn't even a dream, it was impossible.

If the guy made the most of his circumstances, then fair play, but he should remember that not all have had that chance in life.

Well said Roger, i totally agree.

I dont see his new album as going forwards in the Soul Scene, its just looking back.

As i see it Frank Popp with Hip Teen got it right for the scene going forward.

I await a barage of abuse :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm not really bothered, but just stuck it on out of interest while I was having a bath this morning, that Mary Fox seems a nice lady and played some nice tunes.

I think alot of what Ian Levine said would probably be right on, apart from the glaring fact that this new album of his is rubbish. BUT imagine if it was amazing, powerful, really good, power house northern, much like what Desco and Daptone did and are doing with their stuff, and everyone was still slagging it off. Then he would have a point, but he doesn't. It's rubbish, and people are hating on it because it is rubbish and he's obviously a bit mad and deluded, I feel a bit sorry for him.

I can guarantee that if you do as he suggests and play this new "northern soul 2007" to anyone in their teens or early 20s and tell them this is northern soul, they will have a little chuckle at because it sounds like a Take That tune or Boy Zone from the early 90s, and they'll go away thinking northern soul is shite.

It's an irrelevent album to everyone, because it's basically rubbish, so it should be ignored, but obviously it can't because it says "northern soul 2007" on the front of it, and is being pushed in everyone's faces. But IF it wasn't rubbish and it was really good, he might have a point. But he doesn't and it's a bit sad.

The cockroach thing is funny. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Maybe Ian Levine should listen to a couple of Sharon Jones tunes to put "northern soul 2007" into perspective...

>>Sharon Jones "What Condition.."

>>Sharon Jones "How Long..."

If he makes tunes as good as those I'm sure they'll become 'northern soul' without having to write "Northern Soul 2007" on the CD case.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I'm not really bothered, but just stuck it on out of interest while I was having a bath this morning, that Mary Fox seems a nice lady and played some nice tunes.

I think alot of what Ian Levine said would probably be right on, apart from the glaring fact that this new album of his is rubbish. BUT imagine if it was amazing, powerful, really good, power house northern, much like what Desco and Daptone did and are doing with their stuff, and everyone was still slagging it off. Then he would have a point, but he doesn't. It's rubbish, and people are hating on it because it is rubbish and he's obviously a bit mad and deluded, I feel a bit sorry for him.

I can guarantee that if you do as he suggests and play this new "northern soul 2007" to anyone in their teens or early 20s and tell them this is northern soul, they will have a little chuckle at because it sounds like a Take That tune or Boy Zone from the early 90s, and they'll go away thinking northern soul is shite.

It's an irrelevent album to everyone, because it's basically rubbish, so it should be ignored, but obviously it can't because it says "northern soul 2007" on the front of it, and is being pushed in everyone's faces. But IF it wasn't rubbish and it was really good, he might have a point. But he doesn't and it's a bit sad.

The cockroach thing is funny. :ohmy:

Social source share

Thought it was a good interview, always nice to hear tales of finding records back in the old days, in fact we even had a thread about it on here a few weeks back, oh but I guess since it's Ian Levine it's not interesting at all is it :wub:

he didn't really slag of anyone on here except Tim, he complained about Soul Sam and quite right too, awful taste in music.

Shame about the carstairs but there you go

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

It was a simple but excellent question which wasn't answered

Yes, I noticed that an answer wasn't forthcoming!

Social source share

Thought it was a good interview, always nice to hear tales of finding records back in the old days, in fact we even had a thread about it on here a few weeks back, oh but I guess since it's Ian Levine it's not interesting at all is it :P

he didn't really slag of anyone on here except Tim, he complained about Soul Sam and quite right too, awful taste in music.

Shame about the carstairs but there you go

He really was in the right place at the right time. Can't see why anybody would want to hold that against him. In fact he wasn't alone, so was Richard Searling and Martin Kappell ( hope I've spelt it right, anyway the bloke who lives in Canada, he was selling records end '71 begining '72). Loadsa people used go write a wants list and use it at some far flung record supply, usually with success (in NS terms)

Soul Sam - I try to avoid going to anywhere where he's down as a DJ, I'm sure he's trying to do something, guess one day we'll all know what.

Social source share

Maybe Ian Levine should listen to a couple of Sharon Jones tunes to put "northern soul 2007" into perspective...

>>Sharon Jones "What Condition.."

>>Sharon Jones "How Long..."

If he makes tunes as good as those I'm sure they'll become 'northern soul' without having to write "Northern Soul 2007" on the CD case.

He doesn't understand funk stuff James. He doesn't understand deep soul either - but I suspect he's not alone there laugh.gif

Anyway nice to know for a man who "left the scene forever" he's now back and spitting venom everywhere - I also note four pages of the latest Manifesto WASTED with more slagging off from the man, same old same old. I guess that as he hasn't got the records anymore, all he has is his voice :P

Before his little "disciples" come on here to attack us "roaches", I reiterate nothing against the guy personally, he just needs to change the (Carstairs) record :wave:

Social source share

He doesn't understand funk stuff James. He doesn't understand deep soul either - but I suspect he's not alone there :D

Anyway nice to know for a man who "left the scene forever" he's now back and spitting venom everywhere - I also note four pages of the latest Manifesto WASTED with more slagging off from the man, same old same old. I guess that as he hasn't got the records anymore, all he has is his voice whistling.gif

Before his little "disciples" come on here to attack us "roaches", I reiterate nothing against the guy personally, he just needs to change the (Carstairs) record :D

Does anybody else think he's started to sound like Alan Bennett in his old age....???

Social source share

He doesn't understand funk stuff James. He doesn't understand deep soul either - but I suspect he's not alone there :lol:

He's not alone there then :lol: (bit scary having something in common with Mr Levine)

Anyway nice to know for a man who "left the scene forever" he's now back and spitting venom everywhere - I also note four pages of the latest Manifesto WASTED with more slagging off from the man, same old same old. I guess that as he hasn't got the records anymore, all he has is his voice :lol:

Before his little "disciples" come on here to attack us "roaches", I reiterate nothing against the guy personally, he just needs to change the (Carstairs) record :P

I would like to change the Carstairs record, into a blue peter style flower pot :P

QoFxx

Social source share

No Reg, he's not that intelligent :lol:

QoFxx

Well maybe Thora Hird then :lol: Can't take him seriously, although I probably shouldn't have lsitened and I wouldn't have if my attention hadn't been drawn to it by this thread. Prefer Messrs Searling and Bicknell on the radio to be honest :lol:

Social source share

Before his little "disciples" come on here to attack us "roaches", I reiterate nothing against the guy personally, he just needs to change the (Carstairs) record :lol:

I suppose because I said I liked his stuff and said it had a right to be called Northern Soul, you maybe label me as a Levine disciple?

Well I'm not. And I certainly don't agree with the way IL launched into folks the way he did on the radio show. But then again I believe in turning the other cheek. But that's because I'm actually a disciple of a different jewish bloke - one who was crucified 2000 years ago and whose entry into m y life changed everything for me.

However, that said, I can understand the frustration that makes him react the way he does. He creates something that he, and indeed many others, feel is valid work. Gives artists who would otherwise never be heard a chance to perform again (just like he did with Motorcity). And all he gets is slagged off for it. The Flirtations, Jimmy James etc etc. Who else would give them the opportunity to have their voices heard again?

Like I say I understand the frustration - he's an emotional bloke, but personally don't agree with how he handles it.

Phil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert