Maxine Or Tammi?

Reg

My favourite female artists...how can I chose between them? The dulcit tones of Bella Mia or the heartfelt passion of Let me Give you my lovin....but then all Tammi can think about is you :ohmy: ....examples would be nice-I am sure it will be a close call :thumbsup:

Edited by Reg
Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sorry Maxine, for me it's Tammi everytime :yes:

Such a shame she died so young. Still a legend though !

stubbsy,my words exactly mate whistling.gif:lol::lol: ...soulie55...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

for " all i do " and the picture with the short hairstyle it has to be the ever gorgeous Tammi Terrell everyday ....no doubt

Social source share

I love them both dearly but the tragic outcome of Tammi's life sways the sentiment towards her slightly, here's one of my faves from her,

Lenny

top tune bigsoulman i love this tammi track more than you!!!!!!... rolleyes.gif:lol::lol: ...im playing it now!!!...soulie55... :yes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Tough one both superb. 'All I Do..' is a fabulous song and Tammi's duets with Marvin Gaye are second to none, but in terms of quality and breadth of output Maxine does it for me. 'One Step At A Time', 'Put Yourself In My Place' 'You're In Love' etc.. the list goes on for Maxine, all quality. Maxine has more quality songs than Tammi.

Mind you i thought there was a consensus on here that Linda Jones was number 1?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Mind you i thought there was a consensus on here that Linda Jones was number 1?

By a country mile Sir!

I once heard Linda Jone's voice described as an "adequate yodeller!". Needles to say the guy was born deaf, had both ears amputated at birth and decided for aesthetic reasons to paint some new ones on. tongue.gif

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Love em both, but i guess if someone backed me into a corner & said your answer or your life it would have to be Tammi for me yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Unquestionably Tammi in my view - 'Come on and see me', 'Tears at the end of a love affair' and the stunning 'Just too much to hope for' ... plus all her stuff with Marvin Gaye - 'What you gave me', and 'If I could build my whole world around you' just put her head and shoulders above Maxine Brown - IMVHO ... of course!!

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Unquestionably Tammi in my view - 'Come on and see me', 'Tears at the end of a love affair' and the stunning 'Just too much to hope for' ... plus all her stuff with Marvin Gaye - 'What you gave me', and 'If I could build my whole world around you' just put her head and shoulders above Maxine Brown - IMVHO ... of course!!

Brian thumbsup.gif

my favorites:

Linda Jones

Barbara Lynn

Dee Dee Warwick

Patti Hamilton (not a solo artist though)

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

Brian couldn't agree more with Tammi's "Just Too Much To Hope For" thumbsup.gif Maxine's "Yesterdays Kisses" :lol: top class sound to on the same par.Two top class acts.

Cheers Ady

Social source share

Tammi for me

'All i do is think about you' was mine and Pauls record, i played it at his funeral and i think if anyone wasnt crying before they were after that had played

Social source share

Come on lads you're going off the subject!! Tammi or Maxine....mentioning Linda Jones etc just confuses the issue :wub: for me anyway :thumbsup: doesn't take much :thumbsup:

100 lines...I will not change the subject on Reggie's thread tongue.gif

And where is Ms Shirley when I need her...did you hear me Rachel I said MAXINE BROWN!!!

Social source share

Guest rachel

Come on lads you're going off the subject!! Tammi or Maxine....mentioning Linda Jones etc just confuses the issue laugh.gif for me anyway :wub: doesn't take much :thumbsup:

100 lines...I will not change the subject on Reggie's thread :(

And where is Ms Shirley when I need her...did you hear me Rachel I said MAXINE BROWN!!!

:P

I was maintaining an appropriate moderatorial* lack of bias :thumbsup:

Of those two, Maxine for me, for a truly unique and expressive voice, and just a little more gutsiness than Tammi. I still haven't quite finished my completist collecting of Ms Brown (damn album tracks) but I'll get there one day.

* I think I've made this word up.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

:wub:

I was maintaining an appropriate moderatorial* lack of bias :thumbsup:

Of those two, Maxine for me, for a truly unique and expressive voice, and just a little more gutsiness than Tammi. I still haven't quite finished my completist collecting of Ms Brown (damn album tracks) but I'll get there one day.

* I think I've made this word up.

:thumbsup: how daaaaaah you ....stunned ya maxine brown lover ya

Social source share

Maxine is wonderful but my vote goes to Tammi. I've always had a soft spot for her.

Even when Valerie Simpson sang for her it still felt like Tammi Terrell to me.

I'm easily fooled.

:lol:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

What about this one from Maxine?

this was one Randy really liked too (one step at a time)

he was helping her sing to it at her rehearsals - think he knew it better than her.

Edited by hertssoulgirl
Social source share

My favourite female artists...how can I chose between them? The dulcit tones of Bella Mia or the heartfelt passion of Let me Give you my lovin....but then all Tammi can think about is you :yes: ....examples would be nice-I am sure it will be a close call :lol:

Both artists gave us some wonderful examples of soul music, 45s & album tracks

For me it has to be Tammi, her solo releases as Tammi Montgomery & Terrell were superb, her duets with other Motown greats will stand the test of time, a very beautiful lady who died so young.

I play her un-released Jobete acetate (as a 45) 'All I Do' whenever I can, it still does something for me and many others, (judging by the amount of people who ask me about it)

Maxine has also recorded some superb tracks, apart from her classy Wand 45s, her Epic LP contains some very underestimated tracks

Buy it, play it, love it!

Social source share

For me it has to be Tammi, her solo releases as Tammi Montgomery & Terrell were superb, her duets with other Motown greats will stand the test of time, a very beautiful lady who died so young.

I play her un-released Jobete acetate (as a 45) 'All I Do' whenever I can, it still does something for me and many others, (judging by the amount of people who ask me about it)

Maxine has also recorded some superb tracks, apart from her classy Wand 45s, her Epic LP contains some very underestimated tracks

This is a tuff call (cos only 2 to chose from) any technical folk wanna put a poll on "Fave Femme"? Justa thought

Oh yeah, TT by a short head BUT wodda head lol

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

Couldnt of put it better meself !

Edited by toffee lady
Social source share

Max

and still going strong

- and also one of the kindest and loveliest people I have ever met and spent time with (and I don't give out many compliments).

Even before that, it's MAXINE a million times over for me.

It's her voice that does it to me. I wish I could have chosen some of her material, as her passionate voice was never fully exploited due to her incredible sensuality some say, but maybe also because she was categorised for commercial appeal.

My personal fav tracks from her recordings are: "Don't Leave Me Baby" and "It's Torture"

...but that woman could make me turn when she starts singing "I'm the kind of girl who likes to take it, s-l-o-w a-n-d e-a-s-y..." and don't even get me started on "Let Me Give You My Lovin'" blush.gif

I jumped on a plane from Sydney to see her in Cleethorpes a few years ago. It was a mind-blowing week away, so emotional. Can't wait for her to return to the UK some very special day.

m

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

TAMMY FOR ME DON'T GET ME WRONG I LOVE LISTENING TO MAXINE BUT FOR ME TAMMY ESPECIALLY WHEN I HEAR ALL I DO THE VOICE OF AN ANGEL

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert