Look at your box.

Moving.

nice enough 45, but not the next big thing IMHO

sold mine recently for £20 i think

might snaffle the one on ebay mind, just in case :thumbsup:

shep

Social source share

Always loved this choon!

Bought it as a new release and in the mid 70's even had a T Shirt Printed with GROVER MITCHELL "WHAT HURTS" in Big Black Type on the front!

Bit extreme, I know, but just thought it was a bit more original than Ric-Tic or frickin' Okeh!

Been a regular on my decks ever since.

Sean

Social source share

nice enough 45, but not the next big thing IMHO

sold mine recently for £20 i think

might snaffle the one on ebay mind, just in case :thumbsup:

shep

your'e right its not the next big thing.First purchased this as a new release from a shop in Mansfield when Phil Kingswood worked there.Quality tune ,so different at the time to most i was buying.

I'm guessing it's one of those tracks that's sat at the back of many boxes.Never quite reached "dancefloor" status(?),but just right for "now" IMO.

Sold my copy to Garry Churm for peanuts a long time ago,as he keeps reminding me.KEV. :ohmy:

Social source share

Whats the other side like? cos I've only got a US demo?

John

Ah, you've got the ST/Mono, Red one Side, White t'other side, copy John?

The UK issue has a track called "Super Heroes" on the flip. A fairly nondescript tribute to Muhammed Ali etc.

This same flip is used on the 'other' Grover Mitchell, Vanguard 45 release "Ah Feel She Really Doesn't want To Do It". An old spin of mine from the late 70's... a quite scarce and bloody good midtempo (but quite unusual) record

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

When we said the "next big thing" we certainly didn't mean in MONEY we were thinking of dancefloor reaction..ie "Prayin" " Man Of Value" "See You When We Get There" etc

in no way we're we hinting it'll be worth loads of money, it isn't rare enough to go big in value.

But as a tune, it certainly has what it takes to be "the next big thing".

Remember the price for the copy on auction, was for a MINT UNPLAYED UK DEMO still in it's original sleeve.

If you want a USA demo we do that at 1/2 the price.

Social source share

Ah, you've got the ST/Mono, Red one Side, White t'other side, copy John?

The UK issue has a track called "Super Heroes" on the flip. A fairly nondescript tribute to Muhammed Ali etc.

This same flip is used on the 'other' Grover Mitchell, Vanguard 45 release "Ah Feel She Really Doesn't want To Do It". An old spin of mine from the late 70's... and quite scarce and bloody good midtempo (but quite unusual) record

Sean

Yep, thats the one and Dearlove is selling it for a ton :thumbsup: . I got mine as it was the only one around for a price I was comfortable paying as I usually don't go for demo's or UK releases.

I did a search on John Manships site and he has the US release 1971 and the UK as a 1976 release and they have a different flips. Glad to know that the other side of the UK release is quite nondescript, but I am interested in the other side of the US release "I Remember Mama". The title doesn't really inspire me, but I could be wrong, look at Len Jewell the Elevator Song.

John

Social source share

When we said the "next big thing" we certainly didn't mean in MONEY we were thinking of dancefloor reaction..ie "Prayin" " Man Of Value" "See You When We Get There" etc

in no way we're we hinting it'll be worth loads of money, it isn't rare enough to go big in value.

But as a tune, it certainly has what it takes to be "the next big thing".

Remember the price for the copy on auction, was for a MINT UNPLAYED UK DEMO still in it's original sleeve.

If you want a USA demo we do that at 1/2 the price.

Ah glad we got that sorted - the 'next 70's 45 to cross over to the Northern scene' :thumbsup:

Had me worried for a bit cos it's been a 70's/Modern Soul floor filler for years and has had a price of £50-£75 (US or UK) for at least 10 years!

Dare I say that I disagree with you Mr Manship in rarity terms too! I reckon if this took off it would easily be a £150 in-demander. I also personally think the US copy is rarer than the UK issue OR demo too!

I'm prepared to be proved wrong though :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

what does man of value go for these days then?

i had a box of 10 (might have even been 20) in about 1988 and knocked them out for a fiver apiece... should i have held on? i thought it was a £20 record now? please someone tell me i'm right? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ah glad we got that sorted - the 'next 70's 45 to cross over to the Northern scene' :thumbsup:

Had me worried for a bit cos it's been a 70's/Modern Soul floor filler for years and has had a price of £50-£75 (US or UK) for at least 10 years!

Dare I say that I disagree with you Mr Manship in rarity terms too! I reckon if this took off it would easily be a £150 in-demander. I also personally think the US copy is rarer than the UK issue OR demo too!

I'm prepared to be proved wrong though :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

sorry, but in my disorganised office the UK one is rarer, slightly.

Social source share

sorry, but in my disorganised office the UK one is rarer, slightly.

Hi John

Thanks for the info

It's just that i've only ever had a couple of US copies and approx ten UK over time - i know that's not scientific and not a great number to work with but we only tend to call it from our own experience.

Either way, as i said before, both US &/or UK would be circa £150 (imho) if demand outstripped supply from spins on the Northern scene. I also don't think that it'll do an 'up and then down' price thing like say, Ace Spectrum etc cos it is a pretty tough 45 and there's not guzzilions around.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

Guest Adam G

Cheers

Steve

I agree Steve it always reminds me of the early Soul Essence weekenders.

A great record. I think I outbid you on Ebay for a copy about 7 years ago.

Give it a twirl on the 24th !

Adam

Social source share

Hi John

Thanks for the info

It's just that i've only ever had a couple of US copies and approx ten UK over time - i know that's not scientific and not a great number to work with but we only tend to call it from our own experience.

Either way, as i said before, both US &/or UK would be circa £150 (imho) if demand outstripped supply from spins on the Northern scene. I also don't think that it'll do an 'up and then down' price thing like say, Ace Spectrum etc cos it is a pretty tough 45 and there's not guzzilions around.

Cheers

Steve

In my experience, the US ISSUE is by far the hardest format.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've championed this record since its inception (a Charade Rotherham in 75, Windmill Rotherham in 1980, Clifton Hall Rotherham in 1981, PITCHES Rotherham in 1995) spin for me.

Just stuck with it for over 30 years... and having bought every reasonably priced copy I've ever seen in a sales box I've had at least a dozen UK copies and only 2 US copies in all that time.

Remember discussing it with Gouch around 10 years ago. He thought it was "a bit twee".

He might be right.... but you can't get away from the essence of the storyline, the notion that it's not whether or not you do wrong but that you 'want to' that really hurts. A killer plot, if ever there was one, to a slab of vinyl.

And then the lyrical Genius and structure of the record... "The Toast Is Burned And My Eggs Aint Turned And My Coffee's Awfully Thin".... nowadays we call it "Passive Aggressive Behaviour" :yes: but Grover summed it up much better!

I always used to play this alongside Fantastic Puzzles "Come Back" back in the 70's and early 80's... and look how that's taken off in the past year or two... been around for decades... but Sudddenly... the masses take notice!

Could well happen with Grover Mitchell... and I'd be the happiest man on here if it did.

30 years late (for my liking) but much better late than never.

Think I'll play it before I go to bed!

:lol:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I really like the record now ,though didn't really rate it when Dave Godin was championing it in B& S in the mid 70's , which was unusual for me , as I loved his other tips at the time like Debbie Taylor , Roger Hatcher ,Barbara Hall , Jeff Perry etc .One point that doesn't seem to get mentioned is how way different Grover's voice is , compared to his deep soul screamers on Decca and Josie .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert