Invaders - Best Is Yet To Come - Brewtown

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Apparently out of Milwakee according to a lad whos just picked one up on Modculture. But comped on Goldmine's 'Northern Soul Of Chicago' Vol 2.

Is there a Chicago connection with it?

Cheers,

Joel

no, it's milwaukee, the goldmine comp has a few non-chicago things, that brewtown record actually has absolutely no connection to chicago. Even the label name makes it obvious that it's milwaukee.

Social source share

Guest lotusland

no, it's milwaukee, the goldmine comp has a few non-chicago things, that brewtown record actually has absolutely no connection to chicago. Even the label name makes it obvious that it's milwaukee.

Outside the name, I have never found any connection between this label and Milwaukee. None of the Milwaukee artists I have ever spoken to remember either of the groups that have records on here or any of the names on the labels. Not saying with any degree of certainty that this means it's not Milwaukee, but what's the proof? Does anyone know?

Social source share

Outside the name, I have never found any connection between this label and Milwaukee. None of the Milwaukee artists I have ever spoken to remember either of the groups that have records on here or any of the names on the labels. Not saying with any degree of certainty that this means it's not Milwaukee, but what's the proof? Does anyone know?

Obviously you would know more than me. But didn't you or one of the guys get into the good intentions group and it was milwaukee?

Social source share

Guest PHILN

According to "The R & B Indies" by Bob McGrath (An expensive but brilliant publication !)

Brewtown was a Milwaukee label.

Only 3 releases listed:

003 Johnnie LeMac - Mama Take Care Of Your Baby / ?

1012 The Ebo-Nees - Dollage / Is There Someone For Me

1013 The Invaders - The Best Is Yet To Come / ?

Would be grateful if anyone could let me know the missing B side titles.

Social source share

According to "The R & B Indies" by Bob McGrath (An expensive but brilliant publication !)

Only 3 releases listed:

there are many other titles on the label. My favorite are the ebo-nees and the creators featuring vic pitts cheaters "why why why".

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Only 3 releases listed:

OK, in response to Boba, the Good Intentions 'Brewtown' is a COMPLETELY different label.

In respose to this VERY ill informed R+B Indies listing, the Johnnie Lemac is also a COMPLETELY different label.

Look at these 3 labels, then listen. The northern (ebonees/invaders) label sounds 12 years older than the Good Intentions, and about 5 years older than the Johnnie Lemac (and Vic Pitts/Eddie Jackson/etc that R+B Indies leaves out). Not to mention the design is not even close.

This is Milwaukee we're talking about. There must be 100+ Brewtown labels over the years (CD/LP/tapes/etc)

I think no one knows where this label's from. I'm guessing it's not Milwaukee.

Social source share

Guest PHILN

Lotusland.

Thanks for your reply. As you've obviously got / seen / listened to the records in question

you're in the best position to make a judgement.

It just goes to show you can't believe everything in print !

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Lotusland.

Thanks for your reply. As you've obviously got / seen / listened to the records in question

you're in the best position to make a judgement.

It just goes to show you can't believe everything in print !

you can say that again. it actually nullifies the justification of these books' existance when they print such unbelievably unresearched FACTS.

Social source share

OK, in response to Boba, the Good Intentions 'Brewtown' is a COMPLETELY different label.

In respose to this VERY ill informed R+B Indies listing, the Johnnie Lemac is also a COMPLETELY different label.

Look at these 3 labels, then listen. The northern (ebonees/invaders) label sounds 12 years older than the Good Intentions, and about 5 years older than the Johnnie Lemac (and Vic Pitts/Eddie Jackson/etc that R+B Indies leaves out). Not to mention the design is not even close.

This is Milwaukee we're talking about. There must be 100+ Brewtown labels over the years (CD/LP/tapes/etc)

I think no one knows where this label's from. I'm guessing it's not Milwaukee.

That's fine, but I don't think the brewtown is Chicago. I think I'm at least more informed that the people who put out the goldmine CD, which contains more than just this one non-chicago track. One thing that's interesting, though, is if you search the web you will find an invaders on a brewtown label (a white group) active TODAY. Maybe they have some connection to the original group? I have also seen a different garage-ish invaders 45 from the 60s on a label that I think was from either milwaukee or chicago (I saw it at a record show last weekend and didn't buy it, I will try to contact the guy who had it).

Also, I was specifically giving the good intentions as an example of a brewtown that was milwaukee, I thought you were saying that no "brewtown" records were from milwaukee and not that this brewtown was different from the 70s brewtown.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Guest lotusland

That's fine, but I don't think the brewtown is Chicago. I think I'm at least more informed that the people who put out the goldmine CD, which contains more than just this one non-chicago track. One thing that's interesting, though, is if you search the web you will find an invaders on a brewtown label (a white group) active TODAY. Maybe they have some connection to the original group? I have also seen a different garage-ish invaders 45 from the 60s on a label that I think was from either milwaukee or chicago (I saw it at a record show last weekend and didn't buy it, I will try to contact the guy who had it).

Also, I was specifically giving the good intentions as an example of a brewtown that was milwaukee, I thought you were saying that no "brewtown" records were from milwaukee and not that this brewtown was different from the 70s brewtown.

Invaders on Brewtown now is a ska band w/ no ties to the old stuff. Actually a great example of how almost everyboy that ever put out a record in Milwaukee thought it was a great idea to call their 'label' Brewtown!

You're right though, I don't think it's Chicago either.

My working 'theory' on this is that the money guy may have been from here originally, then went on to put out some records somewhere else. Those bands (old Invaders (not new ska one) and Ebo-nees) are almost definitely not from Milwaukee. Especially sounding that accomplished, SOMEONE would of heard of them. When you hear these records like Upheaval/Black Aces of Soul/i.e amateurish in certain ways.. you can see how they might not of been 'scenesters' exactly and people don't 'know' them socially. But groups that sound all 60s polish like Ebo + Invaders.. people would of heard of them.

Social source share

Invaders on Brewtown now is a ska band w/ no ties to the old stuff. Actually a great example of how almost everyboy that ever put out a record in Milwaukee thought it was a great idea to call their 'label' Brewtown!

You're right though, I don't think it's Chicago either.

My working 'theory' on this is that the money guy may have been from here originally, then went on to put out some records somewhere else. Those bands (old Invaders (not new ska one) and Ebo-nees) are almost definitely not from Milwaukee. Especially sounding that accomplished, SOMEONE would of heard of them. When you hear these records like Upheaval/Black Aces of Soul/i.e amateurish in certain ways.. you can see how they might not of been 'scenesters' exactly and people don't 'know' them socially. But groups that sound all 60s polish like Ebo + Invaders.. people would of heard of them.

a related question then: have you ever found a copy of either of the two records in milwaukee? can anyone post a scan of either to give a clue?

Social source share

Guest lotusland

a related question then: have you ever found a copy of either of the two records in milwaukee? can anyone post a scan of either to give a clue?

good question!

no one I know in town has ever found a copy of either of these. i guess this would be another factor in my thinking it's not local. we've found chef's, upheaval (25 copies ever made , and in prison to boot), mar j's, jerome jones, roy turner, list goes on and on... impossible 45s.. but never even 1 whipped red Brewtown?? not likely. but anything's possible. everyday i'm surprised by what does and what doesn't turn up around here.

Social source share

The Invaders & The Ebo-Nees on BREWTOWN are part of the well known CHIRRUP of Chicago label group. Lonnie Brooks, Johnny Ross etc recorded for them. Both 45s are typical 60s Chicago pressings and state Chicago on the label.

Scans and sound clips follow the links

https://raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/20

https://raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/32

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The Invaders & The Ebo-Nees on BREWTOWN are part of the well known CHIRRUP of Chicago label group. Lonnie Brooks, Johnny Ross etc recorded for them. Both 45s are typical 60s Chicago pressings and state Chicago on the label.

Scans and sound clips follow the links

https://raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/20

https://raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/32

I've seen the scans on your website, they're not readable, I'm looking for a readable scans. Thanks.

ps. being distributed by chirrup DOESN'T mean it's not milwaukee, for example, the venus label which was distributed by one-der-ful, but it was all milwaukee artists

Social source share

One point I'd like to make, after tasting almost every conceviable AMERICA BEER over the last 30 years. No USA record label has the right to be called BREWTOWN. It is the equivilant of a record label from BRADFORD calling themselves CHARDONNY.

Social source share

I've seen the scans on your website, they're not readable, I'm looking for a readable scans. Thanks.

ps. being distributed by chirrup DOESN'T mean it's not milwaukee, for example, the venus label which was distributed by one-der-ful, but it was all milwaukee artists

Boboa,

You seem to know much more than anybody else on this thread, so we'll go with you..It's definately Milwaukee..

Social source share

Boboa,

You seem to know much more than anybody else on this thread, so we'll go with you..It's definately Milwaukee..

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic and trying to make fun of me. Either way, lotusland knows way more about milwaukee than me, he's talked to the many milwaukee artists. If this were about a Chicago artist, I would be more adamant about what I was saying.

Also, I can't think why in the world any Chicago label would call itself "brewtown".

Edited by boba
Social source share

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic and trying to make fun of me. Either way, lotusland knows way more about milwaukee than me, he's talked to the many milwaukee artists. If this were about a Chicago artist, I would be more adamant about what I was saying.

Also, I can't think why in the world any Chicago label would call itself "brewtown".

Yes I was making fun, a little. Sorry about that..

I think you'll find The Invaders is a SUDCITY PRODUCTION, the same as LONNIE BROOKS and the 4 Souls on Chirrup 522 both sides of that 45 are also a SUDCITY PRODUCTIONS. Lonnie Brooks is most certainly Chicago, so I figure The Invaders IS most probably Chicago also. Maybe the group were renowned drinkers and the label is a tribute to them. Or could the Chicago 50s label owner C. H. Brewer be involved??

The scans on the website R-O-T-R are scanned so they are NOT that easy to read, we do find that dealers use them to track owners and stuff like that. I figure people who do that in their spare time, should at least have a copy of their own, before doing that, don't you?

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Yes I was making fun, a little. Sorry about that..

I think you'll find The Invaders is a SUDCITY PRODUCTION, the same as LONNIE BROOKS and the 4 Souls on Chirrup 522 both sides of that 45 are also a SUDCITY PRODUCTIONS. Lonnie Brooks is most certainly Chicago, so I figure The Invaders IS most probably Chicago also. Maybe the group were renowned drinkers and the label is a tribute to them. Or could the Chicago 50s label owner C. H. Brewer be involved??

I know of other sudcity productions on chicago things (for example, I have a title on the related MARSI label). Either way, I don't think this is Chicago. I have talked to literally hundreds of Chicago artists (many more than the probably ~100 people interviewed on my web page). No one has also heard of these groups. Of course, that still doesn't mean that it's not Chicago, as there are some very obscure groups from different parts of the city that no one has also heard of. However, I still think that these are not Chicago. I will ask around more about this and see what I come up with, I know some people who had some connections to Chirrup, now that I know that the label says chirrup on it (which I did not know before, can anyone produce a scan?) and see if I get more info.

Social source share

I know of other sudcity productions on chicago things (for example, I have a title on the related MARSI label). Either way, I don't think this is Chicago. I have talked to literally hundreds of Chicago artists (many more than the probably ~100 people interviewed on my web page). No one has also heard of these groups. Of course, that still doesn't mean that it's not Chicago, as there are some very obscure groups from different parts of the city that no one has also heard of. However, I still think that these are not Chicago. I will ask around more about this and see what I come up with, I know some people who had some connections to Chirrup, now that I know that the label says chirrup on it (which I did not know before, can anyone produce a scan?) and see if I get more info.

I'm sorry, but because you can't find anyone who has heard of them and the label refers to BEER. Doesn't mean it's not from Chicago, which is a pretty big place, I hear.

I might be a jumping the gun, but the name CHICAGO on the label, the fact is was distributed by CHIRRUP and was produced by a Chicago production team who produced Lonnie Brooks, just tips it for me, from Milwaukee to the Windy City.

As much as I love beer, I think I got go with the facts, so far. And I've always found 60s musicians/producers to have lousy memories when it comes to recollecting a few hours work from 40 years ago.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

I'm sorry, but because you can't find anyone who has heard of them and the label refers to BEER. Doesn't mean it's not from Chicago, which is a pretty big place, I hear.

I might be a jumping the gun, but the name CHICAGO on the label, the fact is was distributed by CHIRRUP and was produced by a Chicago production team who produced Lonnie Brooks, just tips it for me, from Milwaukee to the Windy City.

As much as I love beer, I think I got go with the facts, so far. And I've always found 60s musicians/producers to have lousy memories when it comes to recollecting a few hours work from 40 years ago.

That's fine, I'll post when I get "facts". You're constantly making assumptions about stuff (e.g. even in this thread -- "maybe it was run by CH Brewer" -- and coming up with more random theories about how it related to beer -- the guy who ran the chirrup label died in the early 70s and was not "CH Brewer"), often coming up with straight up wrong information, and posting it as "FACT". In that rouser thread, there were two long convoluted theories about how the record got pressed on rouser, both were speculation, yet you presented yours as "FACT". Neither one is 'FACT' as there isn't complete information there. Here there really isn't complete information either. I don't send you smart-ass emails making fun of you every time (frequently) there's misinformation in your auctions. There's no need for you to be rude or self-righteous. I agree that frequently artists have wrong information themselves, but at least they were there and it's usually more correct than record collectors speculating from across the ocean. Also, certain people are very knowledgable and have good memories and other people don't, it's easy to tell based on who you're talking to.

I also don't understand why you pointed me to the scans on your website when they're unreadable. If you don't want to make them readable fine, but it's pointless to tell me to look there then. You then go on to quote all sorts of info from the record that I obviously don't have a copy of to read myself. Do you want me to have the info or not? Or do you just want to present whatever bits of info help out your argument? For example, if I saw some names, I could connect them to people I know in Chicago or people potentially outside of Chicago.

I'm actively trying to uncover the history of Chicago vocal soul groups to interview them (often before they die, as many people are dying). I am very interested in these groups if they are Chicago (which I still think they're not). I will post a follow up (and hopefully an interview) if I find they're chicago. I have made contact with probably more than half of the soul groups that have recorded in Chicago between 1960 and 1980 (even ultra-obscure ones that only recorded one record), so it's at least not totally meaningless that I've not found the ebo-nees or invaders. I also have pretty much never gotten a record from a single artist I've contacted -- they NEVER have copies of their own records, I give away pretty much any double I have to the original artist (that is, if it's worth $100 or less). Thanks.

Social source share

"You're constantly making assumptions about stuff (e.g. even in this thread -- "maybe it was run by CH Brewer" -- and coming up with more random theories about how it related to beer .."

Sorry, in the UK it's called "taking the piss"....a type of humour the Amercians don't seem to quite understand... I don't assume the label, the recording or the artists are anything to do with Mr. Brewer or beer... although after taking part in this thread, i could certainly do with one. My sincere apologies if i offended you..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Here's the info you need:

Invaders A -The Best IsYet To Come - wrote by T. Bassett - Lovejoy Music - Sudcity Production

B - Just A Little Understanding - wrote by T. Bassett - Lovejoy Music - Sudcity Production

Brewtown 1011 Chirrup Chicago under the logo

Ebo-Nees A - Doll Age - wrote by J.Cobb - Lovejoy Music - Sudcity Production

B - Is There Someone - wrote by J.Cobb -Lovejoy Music - Sudcity Production

Brewtown 1012 Chirrup Chicago under the logo

You owe me a beer!

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Invaders A -The Best IsYet To Come - wrote by T. Bassett - Lovejoy Music - Sudcity Production

B - Just A Little Understanding - wrote by T. Bassett - Lovejoy Music - Sudcity Production

You owe me a beer!

Are you sure you are right ? :wicked:

Social source share

You owe me a beer!

Thank you, I will email you and publicly reply if I find anything, I appreciate it. Obviously there was the Chicago DJ Joe Cobb, but he didn't really write songs, so I don't know if that was him and that is a common last name. Thanks.

Social source share

Thank you, I will email you and publicly reply if I find anything, I appreciate it. Obviously there was the Chicago DJ Joe Cobb, but he didn't really write songs, so I don't know if that was him and that is a common last name. Thanks.

PS I missed your point on the ROUSER Frank Beverley 45 within your comments.

I've had both Fairmount and the Rouser 45. The Rouser test press & labelled copy carries FAIRMOUNT matrix numbers in the deadwax. So if someone can tell me how ROUSER could be the first press, I'm very open to any plausible theories.

Social source share

Guest lotusland

One point I'd like to make, after tasting almost every conceviable AMERICA BEER over the last 30 years. No USA record label has the right to be called BREWTOWN. It is the equivilant of a record label from BRADFORD calling themselves CHARDONNY.

If you're talking about the big ones (miller/pabst/etc) , you're correct, they're shit. Lakefront/Sprecher/New Glarus etc, that's quite a different matter though...

Back to the 45s, JM's info would certainly support my theories. Now the only mystery is, why the label/publishing names??

Even without all this info, I could of told you it wasn't Milwaukee just because the production value was waay ahead of what we were coming up with in that era.

Social source share

PS I missed your point on the ROUSER Frank Beverley 45 within your comments.

I've had both Fairmount and the Rouser 45. The Rouser test press & labelled copy carries FAIRMOUNT matrix numbers in the deadwax. So if someone can tell me how ROUSER could be the first press, I'm very open to any plausible theories.

my only point was that whichever one was the first press, whatever was posted was pretty much just a theory, not "fact", as both explanations were sort of long and convoluted, and without the support of anyone actually involved (even if one ended up being a correct explanation). I've seen all sorts of crazy things happen with pressings and labels, so it's hard to know what actually happened just by speculating.

Thanks again for the info on the brewtown 45s.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert