Request To Dj's

• Replies 96
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I sometimes say "that was ****** and this is *******" every now and then.. just to bereak it up so people know i'm not standing there playing a CD but not before or after every record..

as I think if you talked between everyone you would loose 2, 2.30 minute records in an hour long set..

Social source share

Guest Simon

Djs should definitely talk imo, good djs use their voice to create an atmosphere anything else is just playing records.

Part of the problem with lots of djs playing short sets is that the dj doesn't have enough time to verbally connect to the audience, i'd like to see more 'djs' & less 'spinners' personally.

Simon :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Djs should definitely talk imo, good djs use their voice to create an atmosphere anything else is just playing records.

Part of the problem with lots of djs playing short sets is that the dj doesn't have enough time to verbally connect to the audience, i'd like to see more 'djs' & less 'spinners' personally.

Simon :lol:

I agree with that :lol:

Simon whats your take on a Djing talking too much though and in an accent we cant all understand.

Social source share

I agree that a DJ should talk - good ones can create an atmosphere.

A good DJ in my opinion is someone who is excited about the tunes he's playing - I think a good example is Mr Barnfather. He's always excited about the stuff he plays - and that's infectious, it spreads to the dance floor. Richard S was another good example.

This applies not only to DJing - but to other work as well. Particularly marketing and selling - how can a punter get excited about your product if you're not excited about it.

Having said all this I don't like mumblers who you can't understand.

:lol:

Social source share

Simon :)

...I usually find that connecting via the music and trying to cross smoothly from one tune to another, so as not to break the flow of dancing helps. Depends on club, I suppose. I know im sick of dj's telling me how rare, how much, the tunes are etc. Screaming at me through a distorted sound system that barely carries the records.."trust me! This Is the bollocks" "Come on LUUUUNDUN" or whatever and then after a 30 second build up, a piece of shite comes on!! :lol: Im on the soul scene for music, not waffle or celebrity dj's. I want to connect with the other dancers....on the floor. Just my personal taste. :huh:

Social source share

Guest Simon

[quote name='Bearsy' date='Jul 16 2007, 05:06 AM' post='539012'

Simon whats your take on a Djing talking too much though and in an accent we cant all understand.

Social source share

anyone can just stand there and play record after record, those who don't use the mic might as well just make up a cd/tape stick that on :huh::lol:wicked.gif I also think dancers might like a few seconds or so between records now and then to have a drink, wipe the sweat away or whatever else they might want to do :)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

nobody understands a bloody word i say but hells bells its good fun anyway hahaha and i try to not swear too much

Social source share

anyone can just stand there and play record after record, those who don't use the mic might as well just make up a cd/tape stick that on :huh::lol:wicked.gif I also think dancers might like a few seconds or so between records now and then to have a drink, wipe the sweat away or whatever else they might want to do :)

Totally agree Chalky, when i occasionally do a spot i always try to say a few words but not over do it, this i don't find easy as i'm not at all comfortable with the mic (and it probably shows) but as you say any fool can cue records in and out for a hour!

Best tip i ever recieved - if your not sure what to say at any time then don't say anything,

And you know if you say where a tune was first played or made popular your gonna get a queue of peeps correcting you :lol:

So gets a tad tricky as you don't wanna be to opinionated or worse controversial or even derogatary (spell?) about well....... anything really thumbsup.gif

Social source share

What a cracking idea....

I might just hold one at the next Back Beat.

Will there be black Pudding?

A DJ should create atmospher using the mic :lol:

Any thing else just aint the same gravy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Totally agree Chalky, when i occasionally do a spot i always try to say a few words but not over do it, this i don't find easy as i'm not at all comfortable with the mic (and it probably shows) but as you say any fool can cue records in and out for a hour!

Best tip i ever recieved - if your not sure what to say at any time then don't say anything,

And you know if you say where a tune was first played or made popular your gonna get a queue of peeps correcting you :huh:

So gets a tad tricky as you don't wanna be to opinionated or worse controversial or even derogatary (spell?) about well....... anything really :lol:

I might do that for a laugh just to see how many times i get corrected :)

i do enjoy hearing a good talking Dj but dont really care if a dj dont talk as its the records that make me dance not the dj.

Social source share

I might do that for a laugh just to see how many times i get corrected :huh:

i do enjoy hearing a good talking Dj but dont really care if a dj dont talk as its the records that make me dance not the dj.

Oh you will Bearsy, you will,

Did a spot not long ago and introduced a Gladys Knight track with ' in my opinion (making sure i got that in first) the first lady of Motown the wonderful Gladys Knight' or something like that, anyway at the end of my 'spot' a lady came to me and gave me some very kind compliments on my efforts, but couldn't resist 'correcting' me on a comment i made.... 'you got it wrong the first lady of motown was Brenda Holloway' she said, oh please accept my apologies i said i will remember in future :lol:

Social source share

And you know if you say where a tune was first played or made popular your gonna get a queue of peeps correcting you :lol:

So gets a tad tricky as you don't wanna be to opinionated or worse controversial or even derogatary (spell?) about well....... anything really :huh:

LOL Pete,

Biting my lip!!! :thumbsup: ... dont suppose you're accent helps either...x.

maybe we're a sad bunch but we've had some giggles taking the piss out of DJ's getting the original venue's wrong... I've seen some T.Wheel regular's get very offended when people play Torch or Wigan records as Wheel tunes.. it's very true.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i am deffo gonna have a mic available at my next night. didnt bother with the first couple but gonna give the dj's the option from now on. i think that is only right.

anyway, i like a dj who can use the mic well

shane

Social source share

LOL Pete,

Biting my lip!!! :huh: ... dont suppose you're accent helps either...x.

maybe we're a sad bunch but we've had some giggles taking the piss out of DJ's getting the original venue's wrong... I've seen some T.Wheel regular's get very offended when people play Torch or Wigan records as Wheel tunes.. it's very true.

Jayne.x.

Excuse me Jayne, what may i ask what is wrong with my accent? Also i didn't mean i always got the venue where a tune was 'broke' incorrect, i actually meant the queues of peeps each had a different opinion on the origins of the tune LOL so what i'm trying to say is even if a DJ is correct with his info theres always somebody to dispute it,

Anyhows as posted on your Bury thread hope to see you Friday, and you can tell me in detail all about my incoherrent accent LOL

Pete

Edited by pete60
Social source share

Excuse me Jayne, what may i ask is wrong with my accent? Also i didn't mean i always got the venue where a tune was 'broke' incorrect, i actually meant the queues of peeps each had a different opinion on the origins of the tune LOL so what i'm trying to say is even if a DJ is correct with his info theres always somebody to dispute it,

Anyhows as posted on your Bury thread hope to see you Friday, and you can tell me in detail all about my incoherrent accent LOL

Pete

Ah, I see Sorry!.. well there's not always.. remember after playing a martha reeves/vandellas track when a DJ announced that Martha Reeves had played a stormtrooper in the original star wars film?, no one told him he was wrong & people actually believed that!... :lol:

:thumbsup: ....looking forward to seeing you on friday...ask Sean about your 'boltonian accent' 'appen..

Good tip though, I think I've heard Mr Bicknell say that to someone a good few years ago.. :huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Got a tape of Keb at Stafford:

"The Delcos"

boom boom boom boom aaahhhh ray be yah

"And thats the title"

Simple.

Mind you it became tradition there for the hours that Pat, Dave, Keb and Guy were playing to respond to all their announcements in the same way.

eg

DJ "This is Bobby Paris - Someday"

US "No it aint!"

Happy days.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

As with everything, it's a matter of personal taste.

I don't care whether a DJ talks or not... if they do... fine... if they don't... that's fine too.

I don't go to venue's to see DJ's... I go to hear their records.

No amount of waffle... no matter how well it's delivered over the mic... is going to get me excited about crap records.

I... myself... don't talk on the mic... but that's just because I talk too fast anyway... so I know no one would be able to understand a word I said!

Plus... I don't consider myself a DJ... I'm 'one of those ones' that just plays records.

However, I disagree with the comments that anybody can stand up there and put a set together... they can't.

I suppose when you don't talk you need to make sure one record flows into another.

Give them a load of waffle in between... they will have forgot what the last record you played was by the time you start the next one... therefore removing the need for them to flow... quite clever really laugh.gif

PS: for the record... i don't think i talk too fast... its you lot... you don't listen fast enough! :lol:

Social source share

i am deffo gonna have a mic available at my next night. didnt bother with the first couple but gonna give the dj's the option from now on. i think that is only right.

anyway, i like a dj who can use the mic well

shane

Thats the problem shane..Some are very good with a mike and add to the night while others have done the bingo calleer training course...A few words through a good sound system are whats reqired in IMO,not feedback from some with a bag of marbles in the mouth...The mic is better for a big event or all niter but not really needed for small events,folk can come up to you and ask without having the vault the stage...

Social source share

Thats the problem shane..Some are very good with a mike and add to the night while others have done the bingo calleer training course...A few words through a good sound system are whats reqired in IMO,not feedback from some with a bag of marbles in the mouth...The mic is better for a big event or all niter but not really needed for small events,folk can come up to you and ask without having the vault the stage...

Its good for plugging other gigs too!...Dj's annoucing other gigs is far cheaper than flyers!. wink.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

anyone can just stand there and play record after record, those who don't use the mic might as well just make up a cd/tape stick that on :lol:whistling.gif:ohmy: I also think dancers might like a few seconds or so between records now and then to have a drink, wipe the sweat away or whatever else they might want to do thumbsup.gif

Well, if you plan a set before the event...I dont, a cd might be a viable option. I like to be there from start to finish and contribute to a whole night. Im listening to the OTHER dj's playing and trying to feel what will follow....If I like a record , I go up and ask what it is, that way i get to speak to a person, not a personality!! You see, I dont think its my place to tell a dj what to play, what to say, how to dance (although I think they should!), or whether to use a mike. Some dj's are ALL talk and crap tunes....does that make it OK , because they can waffle on the mike.? :D The cd thing is true Chalky, because I keep hearing dj's playing the same old sets.... :huh:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

save it for the meat raffle :thumbsup:

Spot on - you can never understand them anyway!!? :(

One exception is Sean Chapman, always makes me laugh and has always added to the atmosphere when he's done Stoke etc.

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

The best dj ever for working a crowd up, even tho he could not string a sentence together without the word fcuk in it was BUB (god rest his soul) he could work a crowd to a frenzy brilliant stuff. Who out there today can do that?

Social source share

In moderation it does add the personal touch to a DJ's set...you get to know who they are, what they are playing and so on

However for some people its an excuse to boast...a night I went to a few weeks back had a DJ spent about 20 seconds at the start of their set explaining how we were gonna wet ourselves at the quality/rarity of tunes he was about to play...and then he hadn't checked his settings and we treated to the sound of silence for another 30 until he sorted it out :thumbsup:

But each to their own..a few of us DJing in Italy last year were pretty harassed into talking to the crowd by the promoters and one mate couldn't bring himself to day much more than 'hello' before going bright red with embarrassment...

Social source share

The best dj ever for working a crowd up, even tho he could not string a sentence together without the word fcuk in it was BUB (god rest his soul) he could work a crowd to a frenzy brilliant stuff. Who out there today can do that?

TRUE...I knew BUB and there is no one who can do that today! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Simon

TRUE...I knew BUB and there is no one who can do that today! :thumbsup:

He was a proper dj/entertainer, wasn't bothered about originals or expensive records just played the stuff he loved, remember having chats with him at the Cleethorpes weekenders, he thought it was crazy to play expensive records on generally cr*p decks at venues, said he used to keep his expensive stuff in his wardrobe.

Dunno if the scene is relaxed enough nowadays to produce another Bub more empthasis on other things other than entertaining & enthusing the crowd.

Simon

Social source share

I like a bit of talk from a dj...Mark Bicknell, Sam, Butch are good ...but my favourites on the mike are Pat Brady and Roger Banks as they remind me of my youth :thumbsup: But I also don't mind if they don't say owt...the only thing that bothers me is I have to get off my bum and ask if I don't know a record!!

Social source share

I like a bit of talk from a dj...Mark Bicknell, Sam, Butch are good ...but my favourites on the mike are Pat Brady and Roger Banks as they remind me of my youth :thumbsup: But I also don't mind if they don't say owt...the only thing that bothers me is I have to get off my bum and ask if I don't know a record!!

Humbled i'm sure but as i don't really DJ anymore in the true sense of the word i.e. on a regular basis, i don't really feel i am a good example.....lol always tried to be professional and entertaining, however i feel there are some stunning DJ's currently out there who do a fantastic job with or without a mic, big difference between being a DJ and a record collector, if you can hit the middle ground and balance the collector/DJ ethic then i feel that's why so many are doing well currently, Joan, Karl Rhodes, Paul Sadot, Karl Heard, James Trouble, Flanny, Barry Maleedy, John Weston, Neil Jones, Mr Rimmer, Mr Banks etc. etc. these and a few others all have a simple edge...passion, a connection with the music and the dance floor and i would like to think i made that connection from time to time.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Humbled i'm sure but as i don't really DJ anymore in the true sense of the word i.e. on a regular basis, i don't really feel i am a good example.....lol always tried to be professional and entertaining, however i feel there are some stunning DJ's currently out there who do a fantastic job with or without a mic, big difference between being a DJ and a record collector, if you can hit the middle ground and balance the collector/DJ ethic then i feel that's why so many are doing well currently, Joan, Karl Rhodes, Paul Sadot, Karl Heard, James Trouble, Flanny, Barry Maleedy, John Weston, Neil Jones, Mr Rimmer, Mr Banks etc. etc. these and a few others all have a simple edge...passion, a connection with the music and the dance floor and i would like to think i made that connection from time to time.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Spot on Mark ,a connection with the dance floor is what its all about.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

As with everything, it's a matter of personal taste.

I don't care whether a DJ talks or not... if they do... fine... if they don't... that's fine too.

I don't go to venue's to see DJ's... I go to hear their records.

No amount of waffle... no matter how well it's delivered over the mic... is going to get me excited about crap records.

I... myself... don't talk on the mic... but that's just because I talk too fast anyway... so I know no one would be able to understand a word I said!

Plus... I don't consider myself a DJ... I'm 'one of those ones' that just plays records.

However, I disagree with the comments that anybody can stand up there and put a set together... they can't.

I suppose when you don't talk you need to make sure one record flows into another.

Give them a load of waffle in between... they will have forgot what the last record you played was by the time you start the next one... therefore removing the need for them to flow... quite clever really laugh.gif

PS: for the record... i don't think i talk too fast... its you lot... you don't listen fast enough! :thumbup:

Joan, those 2 spots you done at the 100 club last year proved to me that a Dj dont need to speek on a mic, bloody awsome for someone that just puts records on :thumbsup: ,

another point i would like to make too, Does anyone dance to the Dj when he is talking on the mic and then sits down to the music itself :(

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

As a punter i'd much prefer the Dj to connect with the dance floor through playing great records one after each other. Most of the time I can't understand whats being said anyway and it can be a bit distracting when you have just been getting right into something and then you get some bloke mumbling on or a load of feedback. A bit of chat at the start of a set so you know whats what and that should be it if you ask me. The first time i went to a northern soul club i thought the oddest thing about it was the fact that the DJ talked!!! weird. :no:

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

As a punter i'd much prefer the Dj to connect with the dance floor through playing great records one after each other. Most of the time I can't understand whats being said anyway and it can be a bit distracting when you have just been getting right into something and then you get some bloke mumbling on or a load of feedback. A bit of chat at the start of a set so you know whats what and that should be it if you ask me. The first time i went to a northern soul club i thought the oddest thing about it was the fact that the DJ talked!!! weird. :lol:

:no:

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

sorry, some bloke or bird................

Im not making it any better am I? :no:

I'm sure that what you meant when you mentioned mumbling is ladies are so good at speaking they never mumble, its only blokes.

Has that made it any better? :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I'm sure that what you meant when you mentioned mumbling is ladies are so good at speaking they never mumble, its only blokes.

Has that made it any better? :no:

the way this is going you gonna need this little tool

post-4635-1184704752_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Me n Bearsy were talking 'bout this the other night. I agree with others that when you can't understand a bloody word it just interupts the flow, and i couldn't give a toss how much a record costs when it's announced as if that alone makes it a great tune.

I love to see the dj connecting with the tunes they are playing.

Bearsy does it coz he sings his heart out all the way through his set and he so obviuosly loves the music he's playing it is infectous. If he plays something i don't know it makes me pay attention to it more as if i should love it as much as he obviously does. :no::lol:

Sean chapman is another one whos energy makes you take notice. He can whip up the crowd and get em begging for more. He is the best DJ to put on early in the night IMHO as he really builds up your expectations for the night to come.

Saying that the music is King (or Queen not to be sexist!!) and i really enjoyed Barbara Grassi's set at Talk of the south even though she didn't say a word ( hang on a minute i feel a song coming on....)

I'm no dj but as a punter it seems to me that the skill is reading the room. Mischief is a master at this, what goes down well on one night with one crowd can bomb on another ocasion If you go with a full box, attend the event instead of just turing up for your slot, and can get a feel for the way the crowd is then thats tallent.

I don't think anyone would argue that a good dj does a hell of a lot more than cue up a few records whether they talk or not.

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

Guest NorthernDancer

all for a intro if u playing somethin special, not a monologue (mrs spelt it) before every bloody tune! unless ur brummie or from the black country forget it, can't understand ya! let the music do the talking brummie carl :no:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Me n Bearsy were talking 'bout this the other night. I agree with others that when you can't understand a bloody word it just interupts the flow, and i couldn't give a toss how much a record costs when it's announced as if that alone makes it a great tune.

I love to see the dj connecting with the tunes they are playing.

Bearsy does it coz he sings his heart out all the way through his set and he so obviuosly loves the music he's playing it is infectous. If he plays something i don't know it makes me pay attention to it more as if i should love it as much as he obviously does. :lol::lol:

Sean chapman is another one whos energy makes you take notice. He can whip up the crowd and get em begging for more. He is the best DJ to put on early in the night IMHO as he really builds up your expectations for the night to come.

Saying that the music is King (or Queen not to be sexist!!) and i really enjoyed Barbara Grassi's set at Talk of the south even though she didn't say a word ( hang on a minute i feel a song coming on....)

I'm no dj but as a punter it seems to me that the skill is reading the room. Mischief is a master at this, what goes down well on one night with one crowd can bomb on another ocasion If you go with a full box, attend the event instead of just turing up for your slot, and can get a feel for the way the crowd is then thats tallent.

I don't think anyone would argue that a good dj does a hell of a lot more than cue up a few records whether they talk or not.

Helen

XXXX

oh Helen you made me blush :no:

using the mic is very daunting to start off with but the more you use it the better your confidence gets, Im getting there but i dont know what i sound like but no ones chucked any fruit or veggies at me yet :lol:

Sean is quality on the mic imo and yes Mischief is very underated and and uses the mic very well too and everywhere ive seen him Dj he gets the place buzzing (MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT HE IS SEAN CHAPMANS LOVE CHILD) , Barbara Grassi didnt need the mic like you say as her set just flowed beautifully.

its suits some and not others but does it really make a difference, i dont know :lol:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert