Just Wondering

At one time we would travel to see certain dj's play but of late that dosnt seem to be the case we were just wondering who you would travel to see, oldies dj past & present, upfront dj's again past & present and crossover dj's. Also any collectors you would travel to see.

Andy Rix, Carl Willingham, Dave Flynn, Alex Jones, Phil Threlfall to name but a few.

Edited by munchkin
Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Soultown andy

Still think theres a lot of people travellin half our crowd will be from the other end of the country.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

wandering or wondering?

i am wandering round the house wondering what you mean :(whistling.gif

i always used to wander round the country to see roger banks but i am now wondering who i would wander round the country to see these days huh.gif

shane

Social source share

We have got Ian Levine appearing at The Connaught Hotel next year on Friday May 2nd. Don't really know what to expect as not many people have a good word to say about him but I bet we have a massive turnout that night with people travelling for the occasion.

Social source share

wandering or wondering?

i am wandering round the house wondering what you mean :(whistling.gif

i always used to wander round the country to see roger banks but i am now wondering who i would wander round the country to see these days huh.gif

shane

Ok Shane get your point my spelling is usually pretty good but it's getting late, thanx for the reply though.

Sharon S

Social source share

At one time we would travel to see certain dj's play but of late that dosnt seem to be the case we were just wandering who you would travel to see, oldies dj past & present, upfront dj's again past & present and crossover dj's. Also any collectors you would travel to see.

Andy Rix, Carl Willingham, Dave Flynn, Alex Jones, Phil Threlfall to name but a few.

Regret to say not heard of the last 2 DJs on your list.

Personally don't travel much myself these days.

Tho' some one like Arthur Fenn gets me off my butt....as I'm more into Across The Board.

Social source share

At one time we would travel to see certain dj's play but of late that dosnt seem to be the case we were just wandering who you would travel to see, oldies dj past & present, upfront dj's again past & present and crossover dj's. Also any collectors you would travel to see.

Personally don't travel much myself these days.

Tho' some one like Arthur Fenn gets me off my butt....as I'm more into Across The Board.

Social source share

Still think theres a lot of people travellin half our crowd will be from the other end of the country.

Andy

I agree that you do have loads from all over the country...The question was what djs would you travel to see djs move, venues dont.....

Social source share

We have got Ian Levine appearing at The Connaught Hotel next year on Friday May 2nd. Don't really know what to expect as not many people have a good word to say about him but I bet we have a massive turnout that night with people travelling for the occasion.

whos ian levine.....

Social source share

Om the subject of Arthur Fenn, be nice if somebody offered him a residency.

Last spoke to him about a year ago & the only residency he had was in Europe!

had Arthur on at our do last year did a great spot, poss ask him back later this year

Social source share

Are you serious? I didn't know he was still djing...and why the Connaught? This is a wind up right Craig?

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I'd travel to any R&B/Soul nights for a line up that tickles the toes but...... Mik Parry & Gav Arno would have me TWOCing cars to get there!!!!

Social source share

Realistically, its not often punters would travel far unless there was something on offer that was unique (usp - as my kids tell me).

When a DJ had a massive sound that no-one else had, the only way to hear it was to go to wherever they were on.

Apart from new stuff, crossover, etc its hard to think which DJ has any tracks that are not on a cd somewhere.

I think punters more go for a travelling venture that offers an all round good event. The venues that have been around longest by definition must meet that requirement.

I went to the LA2004 gig to see, hear, and talk to the artists. We pissed off to Vegas to see Gladys Knight after the main event rather than attend the soul nights at the hotel. No disrespect to the DJs but we had the same toons on the car CD etc.

Time changes things - as the 'Ms' sang.

Ed

Social source share

You are missing a treat. You only have to look in the sales section to see what Phil T is selling to know how good is spots are. Both he and Alex Jones were superb at the last Thornton in the rare room.

Social source share

I think it's an almost accepted fact that there is no ONE D.J. that pulls "crowds" into a venue any more, which is a shame if you want to make a few bucks out of an event, without having to go through the tiresome trauma of promoting it. I think the more "musical minded" now look at the overall package of D.J.'s for the event, but even then, there seems to be no guaranteed "winning" combination! There are many that will have their choice also influenced by factors such as decor, size of dancefloor, cleanliness of Toilets, availability of "Bitter", parking, talc restrictions, type of fruit machine, possibility of blagging a "D.J." spot at a future night, drugs availability and drinks prices.

DES PARKER

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think it's an almost accepted fact that there is no ONE D.J. that pulls "crowds" into a venue any more, which is a shame if you want to make a few bucks out of an event, without having to go through the tiresome trauma of promoting it. I think the more "musical minded" now look at the overall package of D.J.'s for the event, but even then, there seems to be no guaranteed "winning" combination! There are many that will have their choice also influenced by factors such as decor, size of dancefloor, cleanliness of Toilets, availability of "Bitter", parking, talc restrictions, type of fruit machine, possibility of blagging a "D.J." spot at a future night, drugs availability and drinks prices.

DES PARKER

Thats a good point Des. I'd add, where my mates are going.

If a group of mates are all off to Middleton, thats where my first choice would be, despite any of the components above.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's been decades since I've travelled anywhere specifically to hear any one DJ - the potential overall content of the night is always the key factor in my occasional forays into dance land these days...

Having said that, I'd always take more interest in a night if someone like Sean Hampsey, Niki Golding, Ivor Jones or my good mate Tony Ellis was playing, if only because I knew that they would be playing a set that would not be dictated by price guide valuations and that would always put the music first.

Social source share

Guest just mo

Arthurs always on at Thorne:

For the next Boomerang, we're very pleased to announce a

*** AN 8 HOUR SUMMER SPECIAL ***

with a 4PM start!!!

Guest DJ's

SOUL SAM

ARTHUR FENN

ANDY WHITMORE

join resident MARIA O

spinning a quality soul selection, featuring 60's & 70s soul

at

The CANAL TAVERN

South Parade, Thorne (Doncaster), DN8 5DZ

4PM - 1AM

£7 on door (extra venue costs for this one)

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I would rather go to hear the so called best DJs play but there are a lot of very good DJs out there that you might not have to travel so far to see,

for me its getting back in time to grab a few hours sleep so the missus dont moan her ass off if im in bed all day,

Social source share

Are you serious? I didn't know he was still djing...and why the Connaught? This is a wind up right Craig?

As Chalky says no wind up Pete , he is booked for May next year. No wind up.

Getting him to actually turn up might be a different matter altogether. :unsure:

Watch this space.

Social source share

Guest Mart B

had Arthur on at our do last year did a great spot, poss ask him back later this year

No disrepect to Arthur Fenn but hes an out and out" Modern soul"! dj :unsure: whats he doing on the rare and northern soul thread?.

Social source share

You are missing a treat. You only have to look in the sales section to see what Phil T is selling to know how good is spots are. Both he and Alex Jones were superb at the last Thornton in the rare room.

go to aree with you there Ged

Social source share

DES PARKER

spot on there Des, does seem to be a lot ofg same old same old......

one time venue didnt matter (flooded loos etc) now got to be top class

Social source share

I would rather go to hear the so called best DJs play but there are a lot of very good DJs out there that you might not have to travel so far to see,

for me its getting back in time to grab a few hours sleep so the missus dont moan her ass off if im in bed all day,

lol, back to normal life asap

Social source share

DES PARKER

you have hit the nail right on the head des .

Social source share

No disrepect to Arthur Fenn but hes an out and out" Modern soul"! dj :unsure: whats he doing on the rare and northern soul thread?.

He's certainly not just an out and out Modern soul dj....he's guested at The Orwell I think, wouldn't describe that as a modern night. I've heard Arthur a couple of times this year, he certainly has rare soul records that are older than me!, I wouldn't deem that 'modern'..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

personally I will travel when I know that the DJ,s booked are going to play some great upfront soul, and not the same old overplayed tunes .however time and money factors also dictate where its possible to go, and there are places I would love to go, but never get the chance to.and maybe we tend to stick to the same venues because we know we will enjoy it there. some of my fav DJ,s are Dickie W.George hunt.Kieth money Kenny burrel. Des parker, woody, yeah, OK, its my old man, but I speak the truth, always err in favor of those brave men and women who have the for sight to play past the safe zone.and a good knowledge to play stuff that gonna be massive in time.

Social source share

Some of these replies have still left us wondering, there's 29 replies on this thread but only a few named dj's that you would travel to see. We do travel to see certain dj's but looks like were the exception rather than the rule.

Sharon

Social source share

I'm afraid he is not interested in being a resident DJ in the uk. I expected he would say 'yes' for a residency at Thorne, but can only get him as a regular guest dj there ...at every one I hope :lol:

Thanks for the plug MO!

No disrepect to Arthur Fenn but hes an out and out" Modern soul"! dj :lol: whats he doing on the rare and northern soul thread?.

Check out our playlists from the website link in my footer, if you want to confirm that he's not a modern soul dj

- coz I refuse to be his groupie (nuff said).

m

ps. I hate the whole dj obsession over here and would rather applaud the artists and records. However, I can understand how one would travel when a certain DJ is on, because it's their sounds they are really following.

(My current fav uk dj is Dave Ripolles :no: )

Social source share

I'm afraid he is not interested in being a resident DJ in the uk. I expected he would say 'yes' for a residency at Thorne, but can only get him as a regular guest dj there ...at every one I hope laugh.gif

Thanks for the plug MO!

Check out our playlists from the website link in my footer, if you want to confirm that he's not a modern soul dj

- coz I refuse to be his groupie (nuff said).

m

ps. I hate the whole dj obsession over here and would rather applaud the artists and records. However, I can understand how one would travel when a certain DJ is on, because it's their sounds they are really following.

(My current fav uk dj is Dave Ripolles thumbup.gif )

thats what I was trying to say, its the records I know they have, and I know they will play, yes I suppose I am following the music and not the dj, so,s to speak, its about having the guts to do it though, sometimes, it does not always pay for a person to play somewhat diff stuff.: not getting many bookings ect, but then the love of the music will overide this ,and at the end of the day, thats what we are doing this for, to hear some great music while we can.there are a lot of men and women with some fantastic records, who never get the chance to play them out for anyone, I feel that most venues tend to favour the mates syndrome, you book me, I book you ect, and then i think, mmm what about the music!!!OK, some ones going to shoot me down now, go for it.

Social source share

Some of these replies have still left us wondering, there's 29 replies on this thread but only a few named D's that you would travel to see. We do travel to see certain D's but looks like were the exception rather than the rule.

Sharon

no you are not, we travel when poss, read above, you will see where I am coming from, heres a few more

Kieth Williams Alex Jones

jumping Joan

john weston..both these people have the VENTURA'S, and would go where they DJ, just to hear it.

Phil T

asbo annie

Richie Adams

and Dave rimmer does a brilliant rare spot, but never gets the chance

theres loads more dont get offended if I did not mention you. tongue.gif

and yes some of the above are freinds, so what, and yes, I do not always go where these people dj.because i dont have the time to go everywhere unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Its not a wind up Pete if only it was whistling.gif

Social source share

thats what I was trying to say, its the records I know they have, and I know they will play, yes I suppose I am following the music and not the dj, so,s to speak, its about having the guts to do it though, sometimes, it does not always pay for a person to play somewhat diff stuff.: not getting many bookings ect, but then the love of the music will overide this ,and at the end of the day, thats what we are doing this for, to hear some great music while we can.there are a lot of men and women with some fantastic records, who never get the chance to play them out for anyone, I feel that most venues tend to favour the mates syndrome, you book me, I book you ect, and then i think, mmm what about the music!!!OK, some ones going to shoot me down now, go for it.

Hi Lou

Hope you and Woody had a good nite on Saturday, thats what we mean you'd travel to see a certain dj coz of the records that they play or have but dont always get the chance as you have quoted in your other reply. I agree about the amount of people that have some great tunes but never get the chance to play them out which is why we have people like Kit on at Holmes Chappel for the first spot, and dont forget your doing the first spot in August, am looking forward to that.

See you soon.

Sharon

Social source share

Hi Lou

Hope you and Woody had a good nite on Saturday, thats what we mean you'd travel to see a certain DJ coz of the records that they play or have but dont always get the chance as you have quoted in your other reply. I agree about the amount of people that have some great tunes but never get the chance to play them out which is why we have people like Kit on at Holmes Chappel for the first spot, and dont forget your doing the first spot in August, am looking forward to that.

See you soon.

Sharon

cheers for that, yes, its always got to be about the music for me woody and loads of other people aswell, as regards to playing a few tunes, and I dont have many, it started, because, there was stuff I wanted HIM to buy, but he wanted other records, but I am digressing here,over the years on this scene, I have heard loads of peeps play some marvelous tunes, and cant always remember their names, unknown people, as well as well known big DJ,s, I suppose, most people, have to play to the dancefloor, lets not forget, its the paying punters that count, not the DJ,s ego, look at my records, they are shit rare, look what I have got scenario. I am sure some collectors, DJ,s would agree with me here that , and I know its difficult, because they have to get heard, thats its their reputation that would come first, molly is a good example of this, hes been collecting for what 25-30 years, got some bloody great stuff, but he is a gentleman at the same time, do you see where I am coming from, and of course Carl willingham , but it takes years to build up that kind of reputation, and not mentioning Carl, just because, maria has posted up, if fact, I hate the mod stuff he plays, .most people who know me know I dont bull shit, I just tell it how it is, here are some underrated DJ,s..

Martyn Bradley

col kidson

when I say underated, I mean you dont get to hear what they play very often. flippin heck, you really got me started, me fingers hurt ohmy.gifsmile.gif

Social source share

Some of these replies have still left us wondering, there's 29 replies on this thread but only a few named dj's that you would travel to see. We do travel to see certain dj's but looks like were the exception rather than the rule.

Sharon

would travel to hear sean chapman love the way he gets the crowd up for it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert