Levine's New Album

Only to people still in touch with or actively involved in the scene. You play most Joe Public of a certain age "Right Back Where We Started From" and Drizabone, guess which one they'll say is Northern Soul?

That's my point, Phil, it's very subjective. The term is no longer accurate to describe the music.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

• Replies 231
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wonder if he was playing the released 12" version - I seem to remember that having a very long intro?

Could have been. I never had the 12". But I remember John Vincent playing an extended version with a very long intro, so I suppose that fits.

Social source share

At least Ian is true to what he is trying to do, is being creative and is trying to spread his own version of 'The Faith' irrespective of the torrents of abuse he has to suffer. Why not just let him get on with his own thing? I wish I had the talent to 'create' which (whether or not you think it's channelled in the 'right' direction) Ian clearly has.

This kind of project can provide a real opportunity to open up our music to a wider (maybe a younger) audience. The self-appointed, chin stroking, 'Soul Police' surely weren't introduced to the scene by hearing Arthur Willis & The Soulful Dynamics or Butch's 'latest cover-up' at their local youth club? It was maybe 'Love on a mountain top', 'Landslide', 'What', or some Motown/Atlantic/Stax thing which lit that very first fuse?..... And onwards from there, on the quest for more and more..........

But no! Don't let our genie out of the bottle eh? Let's all hide away imperially until we disappear up our own arseholes. Let's keep this music all for ourselves because we are so special and clever and cool (ahem)

I, for one, would love to see a 'new breed' of soul boys & girls coming through to be exposed to the wonder of soul music. From whatever source. And projects like this can offer a perfect 'crossover' (in the marketing sense of the word) opportunity.

Ian, if you're reading this then 'Carry On Regardless' (although you will anyway). If projects like this can bring new converts to the scene and put them on the fantastic journey of discovery which gave me the opportunity to ultimately derive the pleasure which soul music (in whatever guise) has given me over the years and years, then (to quote our own Moses) 'Keep On Strivin'.

Don't keep the faith. Share it.

Social source share

At least Ian is true to what he is trying to do, is being creative and is trying to spread his own version of 'The Faith' irrespective of the torrents of abuse he has to suffer. Why not just let him get on with his own thing? I wish I had the talent to 'create' which (whether or not you think it's channelled in the 'right' direction) Ian clearly has.

This kind of project can provide a real opportunity to open up our music to a wider (maybe a younger) audience. The self-appointed, chin stroking, 'Soul Police' surely weren't introduced to the scene by hearing Arthur Willis & The Soulful Dynamics or Butch's 'latest cover-up' at their local youth club? It was maybe 'Love on a mountain top', 'Landslide', 'What', or some Motown/Atlantic/Stax thing which lit that very first fuse?..... And onwards from there, on the quest for more and more..........

But no! Don't let our genie out of the bottle eh? Let's all hide away imperially until we disappear up our own arseholes. Let's keep this music all for ourselves because we are so special and clever and cool (ahem)

I, for one, would love to see a 'new breed' of soul boys & girls coming through to be exposed to the wonder of soul music. From whatever source. And projects like this can offer a perfect 'crossover' (in the marketing sense of the word) opportunity.

Ian, if you're reading this then 'Carry On Regardless' (although you will anyway). If projects like this can bring new converts to the scene and put them on the fantastic journey of discovery which gave me the opportunity to ultimately derive the pleasure which soul music (in whatever guise) has given me over the years and years, then (to quote our own Moses) 'Keep On Strivin'.

Don't keep the faith. Share it.

That's exactly what I was trying to say Steve.

On first exposure the scene (whether it be Rare Soul scene, Northen Soul scene or whatever you want) doesn't appeal at all to the vast majority of younger people. A project like Northernsoul 2007 could well be responsible for introducing new blood to the scene. The Mod revival in the early 80's brought plenty in (some of whom are on here now). And the Mod revival music was, whilst not soul, nothing more than people trying to make 60's sounding records to cash in wasn't it?

And yet some of those former Mod revivalist types are IL's fiercest critics. Hypocrisy? Perish the thought.

Phil

Social source share

On first exposure the scene (whether it be Rare Soul scene, Northen Soul scene or whatever you want) doesn't appeal at all to the vast majority of younger people. A project like Northernsoul 2007 could well be responsible for introducing new blood to the scene. The Mod revival in the early 80's brought plenty in (some of whom are on here now). And the Mod revival music was, whilst not soul, nothing more than people trying to make 60's sounding records to cash in wasn't it?

And yet some of those former Mod revivalist types are IL's fiercest critics. Hypocrisy? Perish the thought.

Phil

Dont want a revival,keep it............and it was more punk than mod with them wannabe mods.I know lets make a film,bollox!!........we can show it in our theme caffe gaf!!

Social source share

Dont want a revival,keep it............and it was more punk than mod with them wannabe mods.I know lets make a film,bollox!!........we can show it in our theme caffe gaf!!

I can't really comment on the Mod revival, never having been a part of it. But there was an influx of people dressed in 60's stuff on the northern scene around 79/80 I seem to remember. But a Northern Soul revival? Great idea!

Social source share

I can't really comment on the Mod revival, never having been a part of it. But there was an influx of people dressed in 60's stuff on the northern scene around 79/80 I seem to remember. But a Northern Soul revival? Great idea!

The day they start playing northernsoul revival music i`m off :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

That Barbara Pennington record - 24 hours a day - just how great is that record...it's SUPER GREAT! Stands up against any other new releases of the time (1976) and still sounds brilliant. Come to think of it - Running In Another Direction is also great (but not as great as 24..)

Wow! We agree on something, at long last! laugh.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Phil

huh.gif

As regards bringing new blood into the scene how is it going to do that ? If they come on the strength of something tailored to sound like the stuff they already listen to then that is what they are going to want to hear when they get there, their tastes are pretty much already set . They arn't going to suddenly change tack & prefer the wonderful music that we like. So what is the point ?

I'm not against spreading the word, have said before on this thread that i personaly have never been in love with the exclusivity of the scene.

But on that score my views only extend to getting the music as "it is" into the mainstream not doctored to fit ! Just dosen't work in my opinion.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

huh.gif

As regards bringing new blood into the scene how is it going to do that ? If they come on the strength of something tailored to sound like the stuff they already listen to then that is what they are going to want to hear when they get there, their tastes are pretty much already set . They arn't going to suddenly change tack & prefer the wonderful music that we like. So what is the point ?

I'm not against spreading the word, have said before on this thread that i personaly have never been in love with the exclusivity of the scene.

But on that score my views only extend to getting the music as "it is" into the mainstream not doctored to fit ! Just dosen't work in my opinion.

The first time I heard (and was blown away by) Amy Winegum's most recent offering, I texted all of my address book on my phone (in a tongue in cheek manner to try to share how great I thought the album was) to the effect of "cancel your plans for the day, go out now, buy this, play it and the next step is you will be asking me to run you off Northern Soul c.d.'s!!". And it happened. Some bought, listened, rung me to thank me for the recommendation and I'm still running off the c.d.'s for several of these people (including people who I thought would NEVER get into our soul). I KNOW Amy Winegum ain't 'Northern Soul'. I KNOW Ian's album ain't 1960's produced U.S. Northern Soul. But to the un-initiated and un-aware it could be a tremendous stepping stone. Just maybe. And if not, then no big deal.

Spread the faith.

Social source share

huh.gif

Well, plenty changed tack from the influx of the Mod revival that I mentioned earlier. Their tastes couls have been seen as set. But on the contrary many went from listening to the tailor-made 60's soundalike records of the current Mod groups to wanting to hear more of the original music that inspired their heroes. Then from there many of them went into Northern soul

If this true of that scene then why not of the Northern scene now?

And as for your little jibe about my not being able to comment on the Mod revival. I can't from the inside, and indeed didn't try to. But I can comment as to what I saw as regards the Mod influx to the Northern scene in the 79/80 era.

Also I have over the years spoken to several mods and ex-mods. In fact some my best friends are people who have spoken to mods too :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

The first time I heard (and was blown away by) Amy Winegum's most recent offering, I texted all of my address book on my phone (in a tongue in cheek manner to try to share how great I thought the album was) to the effect of "cancel your plans for the day, go out now, buy this, play it and the next step is you will be asking me to run you off Northern Soul c.d.'s!!". And it happened. Some bought, listened, rung me to thank me for the recommendation and I'm still running off the c.d.'s for several of these people (including people who I thought would NEVER get into our soul). I KNOW Amy Winegum ain't 'Northern Soul'. I KNOW Ian's album ain't 1960's produced U.S. Northern Soul. But to the un-initiated and un-aware it could be a tremendous stepping stone. Just maybe. And if not, then no big deal.

Spread the faith.

With Amy Winehouse, & i'm probably basing this answer on 'Rehab' i would say that it has a more R&B feel to it Steve. So the progression to 60's gritty tracks is a bit more likely, whereas with the 4 that i heard off the Northern Soul 2007, it's still got that disco ish pop'y feel to it that to me takes it too far away from what we (or i) call Northern Soul & so the progression to me is just further away & would eventualy just end up being the same as any of the other conveyor belt stuff that is thrust upon the youth of today.

If it did work out like you say Steve then that would be great & wouldn't bother me two hoots thumbsup.gif But at the moment i guess i just don't see it.

Probably a good point to end my contribution to this thread & reiterate that i have nothing whatsoever against IL the person , i am in awe of his record finding contribution to the scene ! but i guess i just don't get his direction with his present day offerings.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Well, plenty changed tack from the influx of the Mod revival that I mentioned earlier. Their tastes couls have been seen as set. But on the contrary many went from listening to the tailor-made 60's soundalike records of the current Mod groups to wanting to hear more of the original music that inspired their heroes. Then from there many of them went into Northern soul

If this true of that scene then why not of the Northern scene now?

And as for your little jibe about my not being able to comment on the Mod revival. I can't from the inside, and indeed didn't try to. But I can comment as to what I saw as regards the Mod influx to the Northern scene in the 79/80 era.

Also I have over the years spoken to several mods and ex-mods. In fact some my best friends are people who have spoken to mods too :lol:

I was only joking Phil :lol: It just looked really funny when i read it back thumbsup.gif

Damn ! iv'e just broke my promise of my last post :yes:

Social source share

Gave The Angelo starr track a spin on Friday night at the Connaught hotel soul night. had a few ask me about the track after my set ( also a couple of local djs who said also they would give it a spin) and a few agree nice track they also asked when the cd comes out so there is a few who is intrested :D so well done Ian thumbsup.gif

Edited by hitsville chalky
Social source share

Gave The Angelo starr track a spin on Friday night at the Connaught hotel soul night. had a few ask me about the track after my set ( also a couple of local djs who said also they would give it a spin) and a few agree nice track they also asked when the cd comes out so there is a few who is intrested :lol: so well done Ian :thumbsup:

It sounds a lot like Edwin, good choon, got it about right. IF I was a dancer (never have been)

I'd shuffle away happily to it, will have to make do with toe-tapping. I have the CD and some singles

there's some good stuff in there, makes a nice change.

Social source share

It sounds a lot like Edwin, good choon, got it about right. IF I was a dancer (never have been)

I'd shuffle away happily to it, will have to make do with toe-tapping. I have the CD and some singles

there's some good stuff in there, makes a nice change.

very pleasant

thanks for sharing

doubt if you be recieving any abusive emails

what time is phil on?

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Yes we did exactly that,

From The Who and The Small Faces and The Action through to the early Motown and Club Soul, Latin,RnB and SKA of course.

Many Mods got into British beat n late 60s stuff ...and many like myself fell in love with 60s RnB and Soul. The Stafford Sounds were a big influence on me. I got to love the "Beat Ballads" Ray Pollard, Sam Fletcher,Doug Banks, Romance Watson, Kurt Harris,George Pep....etc....etc The 80s were a great time for myself, And the 100 club was my second home !

IMO Mod people by the very nature of their very 60s taste quite naturally dug into the rarer 60s stuff, always wanting to here something new, including Ska, Jazz, Latin, and RnB of course - Which has become more popular on the Soul Scene these days!

Quality 6ts is where it is at for me. Call me small minded if you want, but I happen to believe that the best music was made in the 60s

and that is my taste!

I don't personally like what Ian Levine produces, as it is not to my taste! ...........And that's that!

To draw comparisons about Mod Folk getting into Soul through the late 70s revival and a potential "Northern Soul" revival on the back of this album is missing the point. We were already stuck in a 1960s time warp by the age of 14!

I hope his thing does well for him, even after his comments on Mary's show. I must admit initially I was really angry with his comments but if that is how he perceives 60s Soul fans then that is that .......... so what?

The people who like it will buy it and the people who don't wont - Simple!

Social source share

very pleasant

thanks for sharing

doubt if you be recieving any abusive emails

what time is phil on?

How amusing.

I assume from this comment that you're inferring that there's some sort of collusion between people who post positive comments about the Northernsoul 2007 album?

I have met and spoken to Chris L once only in my entire life and that was 8 years ago.

Just because people have different views to the minority majority on here doesn't mean there's a conspiracy.

I speak as I find, always have done and always will. Although nowadays I do it in a non-abusive manner.

Phil

Social source share

How amusing.

I assume from this comment that you're inferring that there's some sort of collusion between people who post positive comments about the Northernsoul 2007 album?

I have met and spoken to Chris L once only in my entire life and that was 8 years ago.

Just because people have different views to the minority majority on here doesn't mean there's a conspiracy.

I speak as I find, always have done and always will. Although nowadays I do it in a non-abusive manner.

Phil

Phew !! Was that 8 years ago Phil ? I've dreamt about you a lot, honest !!! I really do like

the Angelo Starr single, love Rocq-E-Harrell and Standing on solid ground. I hate Harry Starr

(even though I know his ex-wife and daughter) Troy Dodds slow grungy, wortha drillion,

only 3 known copies type of "rare soul". It's all a personal taste thing.

I am open to abusive e-mails, especially from females (only good looking mind you) between

the ages of 16 - 36 in tight jeans, wet T-shirts, etc.........................

Social source share

Always amuses me when Ian's name is brought to the fore once more. Love him or loathe him he certainly causes a stir one way and another.

There's only one thing worse than being talked about - that's NOT being talked about.

Think Mr L will be having a liittle chuckle to himself about all this.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

"On first exposure the scene (whether it be Rare Soul scene, Northen Soul scene or whatever you want) doesn't appeal at all to the vast majority of younger people. A project like Northernsoul 2007 could well be responsible for introducing new blood to the scene"

I dont think this is true, as a younger soul fan if i had first heard Northern soul 2007 as an example of "northern soul" it would of put me right off. I dont like it, I think it sounds tacky and a bit like 90's pop. IT'S NOT COOL.

If i played any of this "northern soul 2007" to any of my mates who are my age (27) or younger they would tell me to turn it off.

Its embarassing to think that the public may think this guff is northern soul.

The idea of making "northern" sounding records today is not a bad one and can be done well, and actually bring it up to date ie - Nicole Willis, also the quantic Soul Orchestra. They dont make tacky sounding cheese, they make soul records. And these artist are the ones who have more chance of connecting with "new blood" becuse they are good at what they do.

As for mr lavine I think his hearts in the right place but, i just dont think he makes very good music, but fair play to the bloke for having a go.

Social source share

I have now got hold of a copy of the controversial album and have had only a quick listen so far.

I am going away for a few days and I will be taking this along to listen to (not exclusively of course).

When I have listened a few times I will give an honest appraisal of the tracks. But on first listen there are a couple of tracks that stand out as being rather good to my ears.

Phil

Social source share

I have now got hold of a copy of the controversial album and have had only a quick listen so far.

I am going away for a few days and I will be taking this along to listen to (not exclusively of course).

When I have listened a few times I will give an honest appraisal of the tracks. But on first listen there are a couple of tracks that stand out as being rather good to my ears.

Phil

Have a nice holiday Phil. Presumably this thread will disappear now for a while..... :thumbsup:

Social source share