Levine's New Album

Had an mp3 of a track I lost I think Levine have put organs or someth. to?? I can´t help this feeling

or someth. like that. abs brill anyone that can provide with an mp3 ?? They play it in the strange world video if thats a clue

Social source share

• Replies 231
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest martyn

irespective of whether its good or bad,who is it aimed at ? I mean the teens & twenty year olds won't buy it & judging by our response on here nor will we !

Social source share

irespective of whether its good or bad,who is it aimed at ? I mean the teens & twenty year olds won't buy it & judging by our response on here nor will we !

people who have given up with and who are bored with life :lol::yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Let's be honest. Outside of the UK northern soul scene there is a great big world full of people who are equally passionate about the music they like. And many of them are more open minded - musically and politically.

As I said before, I actually respect the fact that Ian Levine is being self-indulgent to a degree with his music. And my own opinion is that his new tracks have a far more natural musical feel to them. As someone who has produced records myself, I know what a difficult - and expensive - task it can be.

Of course I like some tracks more than others - we're all different - but I'm impressed with his new material and it's obvious that many others are too. Just look at the "hits" on youtube ...almost 40,000 people have viewed the Voices Of Soul video in just ONE MONTH. I wish ten percent of those people were showing interest in product I have recently released.

So who are we to question who he's making this music for??? The figures speak for themsleves.

And let's not forget that the northern soul scene in the UK is badly in need of new blood - and younger people in particular - if it is to survive or make progress.

Is anyone else even trying to do anything?

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Let's be honest. Outside of the UK northern soul scene there is a great big world full of people who are equally passionate about the music they like. And many of them are more open minded - musically and politically.

As I said before, I actually respect the fact that Ian Levine is being self-indulgent to a degree with his music. And my own opinion is that his new tracks have a far more natural musical feel to them. As someone who has produced records myself, I know what a difficult - and expensive - task it can be.

Of course I like some tracks more than others - we're all different - but I'm impressed with his new material and it's obvious that many others are too. Just look at the "hits" on youtube ...almost 40,000 people have viewed the Voices Of Soul video in just ONE MONTH. I wish ten percent of those people were showing interest in product I have recently released.

So who are we to question who he's making this music for??? The figures speak for themsleves.

And let's not forget that the northern soul scene in the UK is badly in need of new blood - and younger people in particular - if it is to survive or make progress.

Paul Mooney

WELL SAID PAUL :lol: IAN AS MADE SOME GREAT TRACKS OVER THE YEARS ONE OF MY FAVS IS THE LOVETONES TRACK " FIRE ALARM " AND LETS NOT FORGET WHAT IT THE DANCE FLOOR LAST YEAR

" SIDNEY BARNES " . I WISH IAN ALL THE BEST WITH THE NEW ALBUM.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Paul Mooney

I just can't see it selling,thats all-I think it's a quite legitemate question to ask anyone in any walk of life who their product is aimed at.For example in my line (developement),why would I build a house without asking local people/estate agents whether they recon it will sell?I don't see my question as rude at all,I have been known to buy a record or two !

Tell you what,if my 14 year old walks in with it in her C.D. wallet & says "Dad,I was totally wrong about this Northern Soul stuff,have you heard this,its far better than the Drum & Bass I usually buy ?"I will not only eat my hat,I will also wear it to my local soul night after I have passed it :huh:

Social source share

I just can't see it selling,thats all-I think it's a quite legitemate question to ask anyone in any walk of life who their product is aimed at.For example in my line (developement),why would I build a house without asking local people/estate agents whether they recon it will sell?I don't see my question as rude at all,I have been known to buy a record or two !

Tell you what,if my 14 year old walks in with it in her C.D. wallet & says "Dad,I was totally wrong about this Northern Soul stuff,have you heard this,its far better than the Drum & Bass I usually buy ?"I will not only eat my hat,I will also wear it to my local soul night after I have passed it :huh:

Fair enough, Martyn, but I think it well sell to some northern soul fans and it should also sell in more mainstream markets around the world. The videos themselves should create extra interest.

Ian Levine is never short of enthusiasm and I'm sure he'll get maximum exposure.

As Ian also has a 'fan base' of his own as a successful producer, it should also sell in oulets where northern soul doesn't typically get stocked very much. And these days that also means selling "virtual records" as downloads via itunes etc.

Of course sales of physical product is down for everyone in the industry (many albums struggle to sell a couple of thousand, many singles struggle to sell a few hundred) so it will be interesting to add up all the sales and downloads at the end of the day.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Guest martyn

Fair enough, Martyn, but I think it well sell to some northern soul fans and it should also sell in more mainstream markets around the world. The videos themselves should create extra interest.

Ian Levine is never short of enthusiasm and I'm sure he'll get maximum exposure.

As Ian also has a 'fan base' of his own as a successful producer, it should also sell in oulets where northern soul doesn't typically get stocked very much. And these days that also means selling "virtual records" as downloads via itunes etc.

Of course sales of physical product is down for everyone in the industry (many albums struggle to sell a couple of thousand, many singles struggle to sell a few hundred) so it will be interesting to add up all the sales and downloads at the end of the day.

Best regards,

Paul

It will be interesting to see how it goes Paul :huh:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Hello,

My earlier posting got a response from Ian himself who called to tell me that the total number of hits for his youtube videos is 313,681 for a period of about three months. He's also had 10,000 visitors to his own myspace page.

These figures prove that interest in the actual music itself goes far beyond the UK northern soul scene and I can see now why he is so frustrated with those who say there isn't an audience for his music.

In fact, he asked me to post his comments - see next posting - as published on his "Northern Soul 2007 " page on myspace. It's obviously a response to some of the things recently said on soulsource.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

The Northern Soul Scene is a very strange phenomenon. It can be quite wonderful , and around the world there are thousands and thousands of people who really appreciate the music and love the sound and want it to continue into the next generation. It is for these people that I make my music - eleven thousand people who have looked at my MySpace page, over quarter of a million who have watched my videos on YouTube, and so far forty thousand people who have watched the new Voices With Soul video. All this would be wonderful, but...and it's a BIG "But".........The Northern Soul scene has this small insular bunch - just a few hundred but boy oh boy are they loud and nasty - who think it's their little scene. They can't stand progress - they dismiss everything I do without giving it a chance - they want their records to be forty years old on vinyl, and heaven help anyone who DARES to wanna make something new with that classic sound. No matter how much work you put into something, no matter how wonderful it sounds, they have to have their digs, they have to have their spite, and they have to do everything they can to dissuade all their friends from supporting it, because they have to keep their little private uncommercial secret scene closed to outsiders. The problem is that they're all in their mid fifties, and are gonna end up like a Grandad's war veterans reunion, dancing to beat ballads in their zimmer frames.

To this useless and sad bunch, I proudly stick two fingers up with this album. It's not for you. Instead of shaking your heads and wondering why these records are being made, get it through your skulls - IT'S NOT FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!

Just please ignore it. Forget it exists. Carry on with your own little closed world. It has nothing to do with you. NOTHING - NOW REMEMBER THAT. Now go away and dance to your Shrine releases, and leave the decent music to those who care.

"Let the doorknob hit you where the dog should have bit you", as Marlena Shaw said.

And GOODBYE.

Ian Levine

Social source share

The Northern Soul Scene is a very strange phenomenon. It can be quite wonderful , and around the world there are thousands and thousands of people who really appreciate the music and love the sound and want it to continue into the next generation. It is for these people that I make my music - eleven thousand people who have looked at my MySpace page, over quarter of a million who have watched my videos on YouTube, and so far forty thousand people who have watched the new Voices With Soul video. All this would be wonderful, but...and it's a BIG "But".........The Northern Soul scene has this small insular bunch - just a few hundred but boy oh boy are they loud and nasty - who think it's their little scene. They can't stand progress - they dismiss everything I do without giving it a chance - they want their records to be forty years old on vinyl, and heaven help anyone who DARES to wanna make something new with that classic sound. No matter how much work you put into something, no matter how wonderful it sounds, they have to have their digs, they have to have their spite, and they have to do everything they can to dissuade all their friends from supporting it, because they have to keep their little private uncommercial secret scene closed to outsiders. The problem is that they're all in their mid fifties, and are gonna end up like a Grandad's war veterans reunion, dancing to beat ballads in their zimmer frames.

To this useless and sad bunch, I proudly stick two fingers up with this album. It's not for you. Instead of shaking your heads and wondering why these records are being made, get it through your skulls - IT'S NOT FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!

Just please ignore it. Forget it exists. Carry on with your own little closed world. It has nothing to do with you. NOTHING - NOW REMEMBER THAT. Now go away and dance to your Shrine releases, and leave the decent music to those who care.

"Let the doorknob hit you where the dog should have bit you", as Marlena Shaw said.

And GOODBYE.

Ian Levine

:thumbsup: sorry Ian, but that is pretty funny. Oh my god, I just thought am I part of this small insular bunch :lol:

The truth is you miss this 'scene' more than you'd ever admit too, so best not burn bridges you may want to cross again. I have no axe to grind with you, apart from the fact you ate most of my curry when we last talked, but I for one would like to wish you well with your venture, I can't comment on your album or MySpace thingy as i've not looked or listened to it, but good luck with it :huh:

Goodbye :yes:

Social source share

And GOODBYE.

Ian Levine

A bit over the top Ian, BUT, quite a bit of truth in it as well.

We may do well to disect what Ian has said, pick out the relevant bits, and if we tried to take on board some of the criticism, try to work with some of it, we just might make the scene a little less introverted, attract new blood, thus guaranteeing its future.

If we do nothing, what will happen?

Social source share

A bit over the top Ian, BUT, quite a bit of truth in it as well.

We may do well to disect what Ian has said, pick out the relevant bits, and if we tried to take on board some of the criticism, try to work with some of it, we just might make the scene a little less introverted, attract new blood, thus guaranteeing its future.

If we do nothing, what will happen?

Brian there is a lot that can be done to encourage new blood onto the scene. But flooding the scene with Levine's synthetic pop pap isn't one of them.

Derek

Social source share

They can't stand progress - they dismiss everything I do without giving it a chance - they want their records to be forty years old on vinyl, and heaven help anyone who DARES to wanna make something new with that classic sound.

Sadly, a drum machine and a synth don't make that classic sound no matter how hard you try! That said, Ian HAS made some good tracks, for instance Barbara Pennington's "On a crowded street" and "Fan the flame" have always been in my collection, but they weren't NS aimed.

Social source share

wether you like it or not levines music aint northern soul its his music not mine,if you like it fair enough, but im staying with music made pre 1970 mostly in the usa ,it just sounds REAL and of its time ...its when people pretend new stuff is old when i get bugged ,if he aint doing that who cares as long as pikey dont start playing it at 6.30 am at middleton!!!!!!!!!!! regards proggression i hear new records every week all from the era stated , theres still loads of great early music to find so go out and look ,its fun!!!!

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

And GOODBYE.

Ian Levine

So take That tongue.gif

Social source share

Sadly, a drum machine and a synth don't make that classic sound no matter how hard you try! That said, Ian HAS made some good tracks, for instance Barbara Pennington's "On a crowded street" and "Fan the flame" have always been in my collection, but they weren't NS aimed.

Ian told me that every instrument on this album is real...as in not synthesised. Just saying what he told me!

Social source share

Paul Mooney

And that's all fine and dandy and to be honest I have no truck with what Ian decides to cut and put out. Having seen his wall full of silver and gold discs the man clearly has a talent in making popular music.

What I do have truck with though is this ongoing insistence on calling what he's making "northern soul". It isn't. Instead it's commercial pop music made by someone who just happens to have or had an affection for northern soul. As long as he continues to insist that it's northern soul that he is making then us 40 somethings ohmy.gif will continue to say "Oh no it isn't".

Social source share

I have listened to the music & I quite like some of it. I would be very suprised indeed if there wasnt some kinda minor hit amongst this lot. But why oh why does Ian insist on calling it NS. If he was to produce this stuff & just put it out, even under an AKA Im sure it would do very well if it was marketed correctly. But IL has an ego that needs to be fed & this often over shadows the music. There are too many references to 'me' on the myspace page for my liking, let the music speak for itself Ian, yeah promote & market it, but leave your personalality out of it its not required.

I wonder if IL has considered getting any of these tracks remixed by lets say Master at Work..........eeermmmmmmmmmmmmmmm unlikely tho' as IL wouldnt then be rsponsible for any subsiquent action said remix got.

Some of the tracks are enjoyable, but ditch the ego.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I'm on the fence here mate it's nothing to do with me, I just thought it'd be an interesting debate, I don't like it though when people save up a years worth of viciousness and spend it all on attacking I.L., especially when there are better targets around. Bogue for instance laugh.gif

huh.gif Only just noticed that bit you follicular challenged yam yam laugh.gif God i really have hit rock bottom in the popularity stakes ! :(:lol:

Just had a listen & just what i expected really :( I still find it baffling how someone who once had such a fine ear for the mega records that built the scene can get it so fundamentally wrong every time now !

Why even mention the words Northern Soul on the LP ? it's nothing of the sort. Every track that i listened to on there just sounded like another version of 'Donna Summer's - Last Dance' ! as has most of his other recent stuff.

As someone else said earlier, he should get in touch with Godz mate who did the re-work of 'Ramsey Lewis'. & if IL is insistent of keeping the link with Northern Soul, by combining talents he might then be able to come up with a real gem.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Just heard The Voices with Soul " Like a lady " on Richard's show , got to say the vocals blew me away - so soulful !! Best ,Eddie

Hello Eddie,

Yes, great vocals. I must admit I haven't tuned in to Richard's show for a couple of months. Does anyone know if it's archived for streaming or downloading?

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

In answer to "Who is this aimed at?" then the answer is pretty obviously 'the same people who think Gnarls Berkley is NS too. And lets face it, that and Amy Whinehouse have sold enbough to make it worthwhile trying?

As for Wellers 'Left Right and Centre'? Sorry, exactly the same... thats NEVER NS in a million years, but because its 'the modfather' and not Ian Levine its OK.

The hypocracy of this scene never fails to astound me.

In its own right this stuff is 'OK'. Its not brilliant, its not piss poor, but it is not NS either.

And someone should point out that 1/3 million hits could just be one person endlessly reloading his stuff to get the hits up, not 1/3 million different people

Social source share

Hello Eddie,

Yes, great vocals. I must admit I haven't tuned in to Richard's show for a couple of months. Does anyone know if it's archived for streaming or downloading?

Paul Mooney

I don't think it is Paul ,he played some great stuff tonight tho' including a Mike Terry hour , which is right up my Soul street !! Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Ian told me that every instrument on this album is real...as in not synthesised. Just saying what he told me!

Along with "This wont hurt a bit love!" and "I will give it you back on pay day" etc.......etc :yes::wicked:

Social source share

Well I'll be listening. Bout time we had a decent dj on the radio round here.

Wait on.......This is the bloke (with the french guy) who discovered all them old classics. We must respect him! Butch and Ady never got all this sort of stick!

Hang on a min..................they have never done anything but dig up quality 60s ! NOT REGURGUTATE IT ! :yes:

If that was what "Northern Soul" really was...............I would be a "Rocker" biggrin.gif

Quality that is best left in the past, with all the old lads :wicked:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Wait on.......This is the bloke (with the french guy) who discovered all them old classics. We must respect him! Butch and Ady never got all this sort of stick!

Hang on a min..................they have never done anything but dig up quality 60s ! NOT REGURGUTATE IT ! :yes:

If that was what "Northern Soul" really was...............I would be a "Rocker" :wicked:

Well last time I looked they weren't record producers...

Social source share

Well last time I looked they weren't record producers...

With respect Pete............. :wicked: You dont need to be when Mike Terry was doing a better job years ago! :yes:

Social source share

I know mate,I know :yes:

Love you :)

I do hope the record does well for him! BUT HE SHOULD HAVE CALLED IT SOMTHING ELSE!

.............................WHEN IS NEW / RE-RECORDED MOD MONSTERS COMING OUT !!! :wicked:laugh.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Real instuments on songs no more than 3 minutes is the key to me for a 1960's style melody. Time and a place for a remix etc, maybe on Philly stuff, however, as constantly pointed out to me at work by younger members in the department, they love to hear 1960/70's songs but 'updated' for some reason. Probably the same as me liking 'Zing went the strings of my heart' by the Trammps and not the original 1940's version, if that makes sense. This is current it seems:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3kC_4xURA

In addition these friends at work also like new material like this Frank Popps fellow. The advantage of this is they create new songs to enjoy and can perform them at gigs wherever they go.

I want my songs to have a 1960's/70's flavour, without synths (except for 14 to 7 which I intended to be electronic).

I do like Angelo Starr's new song though. It's refreshing and good to see him on YouTube singing it.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Have people off here been annoying ian again?

These are from the comments section for the Voices of Soul video.

...these small minded obsessives make my flesh crawl. I have less respect for these people than I do for a squashed cockroach. I wish they'd leave me alone, to make decent records for people who actually care. They are so small minded, that they've ruined what could have been a magical and thriving scene. They truly make me sick.

3 days ago

The problem with some Northern Soul obsessives is that they can't stand progress and they can't bear the music to reach a wider audience. "Like A Lady" is, all at the same time, Northern Soul, Disco, High Energy, and just a glorious fun filled dance extravaganza. Everyone loves it (40,361 views as I type this), but because it's on the upcoming album, "Northern Soul 2007", some fools keep complaining on Northern Soul forums.

3 days ago

He seems to have lost it.

Social source share

Real instuments on songs no more than 3 minutes is the key to me for a 1960's style melody. Time and a place for a remix etc, maybe on Philly stuff, however, as constantly pointed out to me at work by younger members in the department, they love to hear 1960/70's songs but 'updated' for some reason. Probably the same as me liking 'Zing went the strings of my heart' by the Trammps and not the original 1940's version, if that makes sense. This is current it seems:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3kC_4xURA

In addition these friends at work also like new material like this Frank Popps fellow. The advantage of this is they create new songs to enjoy and can perform them at gigs wherever they go.

I want my songs to have a 1960's/70's flavour, without synths (except for 14 to 7 which I intended to be electronic).

I do like Angelo Starr's new song though. It's refreshing and good to see him on YouTube singing it.

Angelo starr great track :rolleyes: Vanessa Haynes video .........great :boxing:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Had someone asking if I had this in the shop today, unfortunately I didn't so lost a sale. Have to say this will sell to the masses, but not to the SS crowd. I would guess the SS crowd very rarely buy new Uk released records/cd's, due to the you know what factor, how many of you can hold your hands up and say you have all the (new) grapevine releases or even the old ones, the music on these 45's is mind blowing, but have we bought them, same goes for some of the more modern 45/cd releases, yet we kick ourselves years down the line, when we suddenly want them and start paying silly money for them. If you don't like it ignore it there's lots more music out there, in fact more than any of us will ever get around to hearing never mind owning.

Social source share

Had someone asking if I had this in the shop today, unfortunately I didn't so lost a sale. Have to say this will sell to the masses, but not to the SS crowd. I would guess the SS crowd very rarely buy new Uk released records/cd's, due to the you know what factor, how many of you can hold your hands up and say you have all the (new) grapevine releases or even the old ones, the music on these 45's is mind blowing, but have we bought them, same goes for some of the more modern 45/cd releases, yet we kick ourselves years down the line, when we suddenly want them and start paying silly money for them. If you don't like it ignore it there's lots more music out there, in fact more than any of us will ever get around to hearing never mind owning.

I would have bought the Grapevine releases if they were of a type of music that I liked but 70% of them were crossover and modern, I bought all the 'northern' ones...how many copies can they expect to sell of something like "Sex" compared to The Magnetics? Bad bad choices I thought...and thats why there's millions of copies around now.

Social source share

I think it's a bit rich saying that there's no way these tracks can be called "Northern Soul". Why exactly?

The breadth of stuff that have been played, through even the short amount of time since I first got on the scene, and called "Northern Soul" is unbelievable. And doesn't IL's Sidney Barnes track (21st century recording I believe?) get raved about in certain quarters.

Northern Soul is only a nametag at best, not really a genre of music in the truest sense of the word.

If "Northern Soul" is meant to be uptempo dance music performed by mainly African American artists then these tracks surely fall in to that category, just as much as the 50's rock n roll that some DJ's play as Northern Soul.

I personally like most soul music and in particular mid to uptempo soul music made in the 1960's, but I do (since the turn of the century anyway) have time for a broader spectrum of music, and some of these tracks are, to my ears anyway, really quite good.

I am sure that this latest album from IL is not aimed at the hardcore of people on this list. If it was made by someone that nobody had heard of would people dismiss the muisc as quickly?

As for who it is aimed at? People who like catchy, uptempo songs performed by really good vocalists, perhaps?

It doesn't matter one iota to the vast majority of the music buying public who produced it, whether the drum is real or synth or anything beyond whether they like it or not. A lot of people obviously do like this, and I'm sure a lot of people will buy it.

Phil

Social source share