James D. Hall - I Wanna Get Into You

s7oul

Has anyone purchased this 45 on Ebay from the man himself, are they the real deal ? He appears to have a stock of them and apparently is now down to the last two copies.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Pat

Edited by s7oul
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Has anyone purchased this 45 on Ebay from the man himself, are they the real deal ? He appears to have a stock of them and apparently is now down to the last two copies.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Pat

hi yes they are the real deal remember it was his label way back..seems quite reasonable to deal with...i would purchase asap as they will quicklygo up in value

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

yes they are real and its a great 45.

I think he's stopped selling the 12" now and switched to the 7's.

There is a thread onm here about the 12" being an extended mix that is spoilt not imporved.

I found him very polite and a nice person to deal with.

Social source share

Guest Adrian

These seem to be cheaper each time I see them, got mine through a second chance offer on ebay. I wonder how many he has? Anyone an idea?

Since on ebay i think the first went for $350ish and have been steadily dropping.....can't moan what i got one for but would like too know if its about to be a common record!

As the others mentioned I had no probs dealing with him, nice and simple, pay - the record turns up....fair do's.

Social source share

Guest GoodTaste

i got a copy of both 7" & 12" from j.d.hall himself too.

Very easy to deal with but keep an eye on shipping costs.

He will sign every record by request.

Anyway...both sides sounds better on 7"

"i wanna get into you" is a monster of a track!

Social source share

Gary Dennis had this off me 21 years ago in a dodgey trade ..Ive got one back now Gary u cheeky git , now fill your boots on the link below ..GREAT side for jazz funkers !!

https://www.jamesdhall.net/

Gary!!!.....dodgy trades!!!.....never!!!.....

Actually had my copy of the 45 out of Crazy Beat in the early days of me working there......bout £20 if i recall correctly. Some seriously GREAT stuff came thru that shop in the early 90s....

Girf

Edited by Girthdevon
Social source share

Gary!!!.....dodgy trades!!!.....never!!!.....

Actually had my copy of the 45 out of Crazy Beat in the early days of me working there......bout £20 if i recall correctly. Some seriously GREAT stuff came thru that shop in the early 90s....

Girf

Yeah Gary was saying he's still finding obscure 70's and 80's stuff at Yarmouth ..However he was always jealous of my stack at Soul bowl LOL :yes::D:(:P

ps. Thanks John A !!

Social source share

Btw is he selling old press vinyls really? Not reproduction?! Anyone could confirm?? :lol:

I would say definitely old press vinyl......by looking on his site, he's obviously got stock of (nearly??) all his old releases. And some of those are definitely not worth a repress...... :ohmy:

Cheers Girth

Social source share

Just got a copy of the record from the site. :shades:

Got to say, comparing it with the copy I've had for 6-7 years it looks distinctly different but in a subtle way if that's not too much of a contradiction.

The labels are a different quality, the centre dink is different, the one I just got is thicker vinyl and the text has a kind of 'fraying' around the edges that looks scanned rather than set. The run-out is exactly the same and vinyl has a run-in 'ridge' the same as my 'old' copy, so it's confusing. I've asked him if the copies on his site are recent pressings from the original plates - not had a reply yet and I'm not syaing these ARE new pressings but there's something sort of odd about them, mainly in the quality of the text. I could post scans of both copies as comparison but not sure the difference would really come across. Of course there could have been two issues at the time and these were maybe a second pressing run, would maybe explain the difference.

I've uploaded them anyway - just not sure about them at the moment :wub:

(scans don't really illustrate the issue about the text, though it does show it thicker on the right image than the left)

Taking it to really nerdy levels both copies have a small indented circle on the label...on the 'old' copy at the top, on the 'new' one on the bottom so it's a weird one. Just that next to each (hand in hand) other one looks old and the other not so

post-1377-1183551791_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1183551826_thumb.jpg

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Guest ludwigvan

I ordered "I really love you" some time ago, but haven't received it yet. The one I ordered sounded 'old' and cost USD20, but when I just checked the site again the price has gone up to USD100 and the sound clip sounds 'new' (still same song, but bad production and vocals). Does anyone know the deal here? I just hope I get the old one...

Got to say, comparing it with the copy I've had for 6-7 years it looks distinctly different but in a subtle way if that's not too much of a contradiction.

The labels are a different quality, the centre dink is different, the one I just got is thicker vinyl and the text has a kind of 'fraying' around the edges that looks scanned rather than set. The run-out is exactly the same and vinyl has a run-in 'ridge' the same as my 'old' copy, so it's confusing. I've asked him if the copies on his site are recent pressings from the original plates - not had a reply yet and I'm not syaing these ARE new pressings but there's something sort of odd about them, mainly in the quality of the text. I could post scans of both copies as comparison but not sure the difference would really come across. Of course there could have been two issues at the time and these were maybe a second pressing run, would maybe explain the difference.

(scans don't really illustrate the issue about the text, though it does show it thicker on the right image than the left)

Taking it to really nerdy levels both copies have a small indented circle on the label...on the 'old' copy at the top, on the 'new' one on the bottom so it's a weird one. Just that next to each (hand in hand) other one looks old and the other not so

Social source share

Guest Adrian

I ordered "I really love you" some time ago, but haven't received it yet. The one I ordered sounded 'old' and cost USD20, but when I just checked the site again the price has gone up to USD100 and the sound clip sounds 'new' (still same song, but bad production and vocals). Does anyone know the deal here? I just hope I get the old one...

Well I got I Wanna Get Into from ebay awhile back, I hope they are original. Mine did have a pretty old and faded sleeve, not that it means anything....

But anyhow I would be surprised if he has repressed 'I Really Love You' and 100 dollars seems to have two too many zeros to me! , that the one with Wonder Woman on the bside?, i got one from Moerer about a year ago, just based on the artist.

Afraid he is defo a one track artist IMHO

Edited by Adrian
Social source share

Not sure on that one. I just compared the vinyl of I Wanna Get Into you with a couple of other West Coast 80's things - William Bostic, Khaliq - and the centre dink looks the same, so maybe the text bleed is just a strange quirk. The copies they're ebaying at the moment look more obviously 'old' and not like the one I got so maybe there were two pressing runs on it :wub:https://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Modern-Soul-7-J-D...1QQcmdZViewItem

Social source share

Are there matrix numbers in the run out, if so are they the same?

I mailed him on the question of repressings also and have a reply on my email at home, which I will post up tonight.

I bit the bullet and bought one from his site for $80 last week, but still awaiting a debit on my account, which hasnt come through yet.

If consensus is that they are represses I think potentially there will be a lot of returns.

John

Social source share

Guest Adrian

The copies they're ebaying at the moment look more obviously 'old' and not like the one I got so maybe there were two pressing runs on it :wub:

He has always used the same 7" pic.

That pic was used on the one i got, but the 'bleed' thing seems to ring a bell....

Social source share

Are there matrix numbers in the run out, if so are they the same?

I mailed him on the question of repressings also and have a reply on my email at home, which I will post up tonight.

I bit the bullet and bought one from his site for $80 last week, but still awaiting a debit on my account, which hasnt come through yet.

If consensus is that they are represses I think potentially there will be a lot of returns.

John

Matrix details are exactly the same from what I can see. Would this not indicate they'd been pressed with the same plates and as such more than likely be original pressings? Just the blotchiness of the text, the difference of the centre dink and the thickness of the vinyl which made me wonder about them. The edge of the vinly is flat on the one I just got and sharp on the copy I've had for years, also. I'll see what he says when he replies

Social source share

Not sure on that one. I just compared the vinyl of I Wanna Get Into you with a couple of other West Coast 80's things - William Bostic, Khaliq - and the centre dink looks the same, so maybe the text bleed is just a strange quirk. The copies they're ebaying at the moment look more obviously 'old' and not like the one I got so maybe there were two pressing runs on it :thumbsup:https://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Modern-Soul-7-J-D...1QQcmdZViewItem
William Bostic was pressed twice Jason.Bought mine from Arthur Fenn (mid 80s) and was a first press then a year or so later Soul Bowl
Social source share

Not sure on that one. I just compared the vinyl of I Wanna Get Into you with a couple of other West Coast 80's things - William Bostic, Khaliq - and the centre dink looks the same, so maybe the text bleed is just a strange quirk. The copies they're ebaying at the moment look more obviously 'old' and not like the one I got so maybe there were two pressing runs on it :thumbsup:https://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Modern-Soul-7-J-D...1QQcmdZViewItem
William Bostic was pressed twice during the 80s Jason.
Social source share

William Bostic was pressed twice Jason.Bought mine from Arthur Fenn (mid 80s) and was a first press then a year or so later Soul Bowl

Think I've had them both Chris - one with silver the other with gold text? I may be mixing it up with something else though.

Social source share

Guest ludwigvan

Just been told that there were two pressings in the 80's so that clears that up.

Yes, James himself just informed me that there were 2 pressings of "I wanna get into you", both in the 80's almost a year apart, but they were both from the very same plates by the same company.

Social source share

Yes, James himself just informed me that there were 2 pressings of "I wanna get into you", both in the 80's almost a year apart, but they were both from the very same plates by the same company.

Be interesting to know why he had a second press done a year later. Did it sell well the first time out then?

Social source share

Be interesting to know why he had a second press done a year later. Did it sell well the first time out then?

Yep. Apparently the first pressing sold well so they did another run which apparently didn't do so well. Some of the (presumably) second press copies were given out to friends and family and those - along with ones he found stored with some 12's - are the one's now available for sale. I'd never seen the 2nd press copies until May of this year but if they weren't distributed widely (or put into circulation as the ebay listing says) it probably makes sense.

Social source share

I've got one that my son found in a junk shop in L.A., i'll post up a couple of close up photo's, it's the one with the cleaner cut middle.

Both look like the 'first pressing'. I'll try to put up a photo of the one I bought direct.

post-1377-1183721283_thumb.jpg

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert