Cleaning Vinyl

just had some records come from the states

some of them a really dirty not scrathed ,anyone got any tips for cleaning them up .

usually use meths can anyone suggest anything else

many thanx markymole :ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Why not try warm/tepid soapy water gently rinsing them ,then use a clean duster to wipe off any residue etc,it may take 4 goes but it works for me(i only buy f*** records anyway)thats what im told by some folk :D .

If it dont work skip 'em.

Social source share

some of them a really dirty not scrathed ,anyone got any tips for cleaning them up .

many thanx markymole :ohmy:

Hi Marky, - suggest you ditch the meths and quick! :thmbdn:

some while ago there was a post on here by Geordiejohnson, - you may find it on here archived somewhere, at the time he was working for an international plastics company and had some of their lab techs do some testing on various detergents/solvents and their effects on record grade vinyl and styrene,

-cant remember the outcome but until you find out more I should stick to a VERY mild weak detergent/water mix and a microfibre cloth. Solutions are available on the net from the vestax dealers but

these are expensive.

Hope this helps

M.

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

This just reminded me, on "How clean is your house" the other week the big bird used triple distilled vodka and a shaving brush to clean up records :laugh: What a waste.

Blake

I,m sure Tesco value vodka works just as well,thats what I use plus the warm soapy water thing

Edited by Black Gold of the Sun
Social source share

Best record cleaner I've ever used -

image-90399.jpg

Agreed.... bit of washing up liquid on vinyl and bowl of warm water.... I've got an old very very soft tooth brush that I use dipped in the water to then go around the vinyl with.... a couple of times like that and it's surprising the ammount of sh*t that gets lifted out.... then rinsed off with the warm water to get rid of all the washing up liquid :( ....

Goes without saying.... avoiding thelabel off course rolleyes.gif ....

Social source share

Agree with Pete - Fairy Liquid - works a treat

Wet the vinyl, use one of those little washing up spongey things, wet with warm water to work FL well into the vinyl. Then rinse under cold tap, carefully avoiding label. Leave to dry.

Someone did tell me once he had cleaned up scratched records with T Cut :huh: , not something I'd try though!

Social source share

Guest hudsoul

is there anything out there or any ideas [besides t-cut,,oh dear] to clean up scratched records,surface noise,,,clicks etc....

Social source share

Fair active foam is different to wahing up liquid though - get the record wet, then give the bootle a good shake and squirt about 3 blobs of foam onto the record, then start rubbing it in a circular motion. After about 20 seconds it will turn from a think liquid to a bubbling foam and you just leave it like that for a minute, then wash it off with water, and it really does take some washing off. While the foam is on there, you can often see the dirt actually being lifted out of the grooves.

I absolutely swear by this stuff but I wouldn't want to be responsible for it going wrong and damaging a rare record so try it on one of your Nans Jim Reeves singles first

Social source share

Agreed.... bit of washing up liquid on vinyl and bowl of warm water.... I've got an old very very soft tooth brush that I use dipped in the water to then go around the vinyl with.... a couple of times like that and it's surprising the ammount of sh*t that gets lifted out.... then rinsed off with the warm water to get rid of all the washing up liquid :( ....

Goes without saying.... avoiding thelabel off course rolleyes.gif ....

Mark-you`re ahead of me again. :unsure: That`s exactly what I`ve done for years. And despite what the "normal people in the street" think, toothbrushes ARE softer than vinyl or styrene. Seems to get right down into the groove. Remember not to get the water too warm though (tepid is good- so the groove minutely expands) or you`ll end up with some expensive ashtrays. Also someone once told me how to remove the "brown" from the groove . Spray the record with Original Pledge (Original mind! They might have changed the formula of the stuff over the years though..) Don`t polish it off -leave the Pledge on. Play it through. Notice a huge great golf ball of brown sh*t starts to appear on the end of your stylus. Clean it off the stylus. Do it all again. Sound quality improves instantly because the stylus can get to the very bottom of the groove (for the first time in many years).

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Mark-you`re ahead of me again. :unsure: That`s exactly what I`ve done for years. And despite what the "normal people in the street" think, toothbrushes ARE softer than vinyl or styrene. Seems to get right down into the groove. Remember not to get the water too warm though (tepid is good- so the groove minutely expands) or you`ll end up with some expensive ashtrays.

Stuart, I did say "warm" water mate rolleyes.gif ....

Wouldn't try any old toothbrush myself.... would imagine some of the sturdier "nylon" ones do more harm than good....

I'll just add that on the really "dirty" ones I leave a film of the water on vinyl instead of drying it off with a soft cloth and play it through.... you notice the stylus picks out the "stubborn" stuff.... have to lift arm a couple of times and replace where lifted to clean off stylus.... many a "pop" and "click" got rid of by doing this :ohmy: ....

P.S. Wasn't there a thread some time back regarding some "machine" you could get over the internet which created air bubbles in the water that forced out any muck :( ....

Social source share

Didn`t this machine also clean cutlery or something? :mellow:

What I mean is :Was it one of those ultrasonic cleaners?

BTW There was a couple of those old K-TEL battery operated record cleaners (still sealed-unused!) from the 70`s/80`s going on eBay a short time ago. Remember those? Wouldn`t imagine they`d be much good for the heavy duty work we`re talking about though.

If I had the money though I`d go for something like a KEITH MONKS?

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Didn`t this machine also clean cutlery or something? :mellow:

That was a kind of electro static cleaner made specifically for cleaning jewellery, cutlery, spectacles and dental appliances. I got one of these from aldi for £15. And it sure works. The on,y snag is that the vessell that the record goes in is very small so at any given time, only a third of the playing surface can be covered and so you have to slowly rotate it by hand for the 3 or 4 minute cycle. This machine is best for getting out grained in dirt, I mean the kind of dirt that's actually been played into the grooves and won't come out by ordinary washing.

Social source share

That was a kind of electro static cleaner made specifically for cleaning jewellery, cutlery, spectacles and dental appliances. I got one of these from aldi for £15. And it sure works. The on,y snag is that the vessell that the record goes in is very small so at any given time, only a third of the playing surface can be covered and so you have to slowly rotate it by hand for the 3 or 4 minute cycle. This machine is best for getting out grained in dirt, I mean the kind of dirt that's actually been played into the grooves and won't come out by ordinary washing.

Cheers Pete.... I thought some sort of "machine" had been the topic of a thread sometime back and now you mention it you said then you'd get one to try.... is it filled with water or am I mixing it up with something else that was discussed unsure.gif ....

Social source share

Cheers Pete.... I thought some sort of "machine" had been the topic of a thread sometime back and now you mention it you said then you'd get one to try.... is it filled with water or am I mixing it up with something else that was discussed unsure.gif ....

Yeah-the one I`m talking about was a small bath of water with ultrasonic sound shot through it creating a mass of bubbles-hard to keep the label dry if you lay the record down in it though. No label at all in fact if you lay it down in that! :( You`ll have to stand it up so it`s time consuming.

BTW A shop up Ecclesall Road sells these.

Social source share

Yes it is - looks like this

_CD-5800_FINISHED_LONG_SHOT_copy.JPG

Social source share

I use isopropanol that you can get from the chemist. It's a powerful cleaning agent and doesn't damage the vinyl. Would use it in a well ventilated room though.

Have used that many times, specially when I had a professional record cleaning machine, but honestly, the fairy active stuff does a better job than isopropyl alcohol

Social source share

Have used that many times, specially when I had a professional record cleaning machine, but honestly, the fairy active stuff does a better job than isopropyl alcohol

Never tried it cause I read somewhere (record collector i think) that tap water and surfactants (washing detergents) leave a residue that gradually builds up and can cause problems. Deionised water was what they recommended.

But fair enough Pete you probably know more about this than I would

Social source share

Never tried it cause I read somewhere (record collector i think) that tap water and surfactants (washing detergents) leave a residue that gradually builds up and can cause problems. Deionised water was what they recommended.

But fair enough Pete you probably know more about this than I would

Not really, but I do like experimenting. I wouldn't recommend the dishwasher method though. :D

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Not really, but I do like experimenting. I wouldn't recommend the dishwasher method though. :shades:

What about chucking them in the washing machine with all your smalls and a bit of comfort iron easy :D

Social source share

BTW A shop up Ecclesall Road sells these

Anyone know how much these are? They sound fantastic.

Not cheap. 400-500 quid. But (for the price of two good original 45`s) worth the investment if you have a valuable vinyl collection. Look on eBay. I think there is a German version which is slightly cheaper.

Social source share

I use isopropanol that you can get from the chemist. It's a powerful cleaning agent and doesn't damage the vinyl. Would use it in a well ventilated room though.

I used to use isopropanol but when I melted a Rodd Keith Preview acetate I bought from Wigan when I was "under the influence" :D kinda put me off since. :shades: I used to buy a big bottle for a fiver from the chemist.

But as (according to the news) it`s now being (allegedly) used by terrorists in the production of bombs won`t they ask questions?

Social source share

I used to use isopropanol but when I melted a Rodd Keith Preview acetate I bought from Wigan when I was "under the influence" :D kinda put me off since. :shades: I used to buy a big bottle for a fiver from the chemist.

But as (according to the news) it`s now being (allegedly) used by terrorists in the production of bombs won`t they ask questions?

Probably depends on the quantity you buy i'm sure a small bottle would be fine. I get mine from my place of work so haven't had to go to a chemist to find out

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

STOP- DO NOT OPEN ANY SOLUTIONS UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THIS

I have read a lot of diabolical and dangerous advice in this thread. I've been a pro record dealer since 1991 and in my first few years I experimented with loads of different cleaning products and also possess the VPI cleaning machine, I know what I'm talking about.

DO NOT use Isop' Alcohol, Lighter Fluid or Meths, all three of these products will invariably seriously damage 45's and are likely to do similar to other formats. There is no need to risk these type pf chemicals that have acidic tendencies.

I carefully examine and clean all items that I buy in, and for 15 years I have used the following products. The first solution is for reords that do not need the more serious cleaning that the second product will be necessary for :

Standard Supermarket Window and Glass Cleaner, which also has anti-static properties. Typical cost 75p for 500ml in a clear upright triggered dispenser.

Pledge Multi Surface Clean and Dust, Jasmine scent, comes in a blue aerosol can. This will clean records and sleeves to the highest standard possible in my opinion, and is not a wax based product. Spray this on, wipe round in to the groove with a soft cloth and moments later put it on the turntable. Play it and watch the stylus knock out piles of filth you never expected were in the groove, the results can be staggering, previously heard noise simply gone in seconds. Cost approx £1.05 but not available in all Supermarkets, Sainsburys usually have it, not seen it in Tesco. Has to be this exact product, do not buy the lemon scent as it gave me chronic headaches. Not only will your tunes be clean and sound good, but they will smell nice too ! This product will rescue almost anything.

Even though I have one, cleaning machines are an unnecessary investment.

For more advice drop me a message or post on here.

Social source share

I have read a lot of diabolical and dangerous advice in this thread. I've been a pro record dealer since 1991 and in my first few years I experimented with loads of different cleaning products and also possess the VPI cleaning machine, I know what I'm talking about.

DO NOT use Isop' Alcohol, Lighter Fluid or Meths, all three of these products will invariably seriously damage 45's and are likely to do similar to other formats. There is no need to risk these type pf chemicals that have acidic tendencies.

I carefully examine and clean all items that I buy in, and for 15 years I have used the following products. The first solution is for reords that do not need the more serious cleaning that the second product will be necessary for :

Standard Supermarket Window and Glass Cleaner, which also has anti-static properties. Typical cost 75p for 500ml in a clear upright triggered dispenser.

Pledge Multi Surface Clean and Dust, Jasmine scent, comes in a blue aerosol can. This will clean records and sleeves to the highest standard possible in my opinion, and is not a wax based product. Spray this on, wipe round in to the groove with a soft cloth and moments later put it on the turntable. Play it and watch the stylus knock out piles of filth you never expected were in the groove, the results can be staggering, previously heard noise simply gone in seconds. Cost approx £1.05 but not available in all Supermarkets, Sainsburys usually have it, not seen it in Tesco. Has to be this exact product, do not buy the lemon scent as it gave me chronic headaches. Not only will your tunes be clean and sound good, but they will smell nice too ! This product will rescue almost anything.

Isopropanol and meths do not have acidic tendencies.

Window cleaners generally are acidic and contain some form of surfactant that leaves residue.

Social source share

many thanx markymole :wicked:

many thanx to everyone for all your suggestions :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Martin Snow & Vaultofsoul. I have deleted your last posts after being reported to me, If you feel you need to carry on, your differance of oppinion on please do it via PM and not in this topic

Thank you. Miff.

Social source share

whats wrong with the record cleaning fluid you can buy off ebay.

i bot some £4.50(inc p&p),500mls blue stuff with a cloth inc.

cleaned 150 45s,they came up a treat.

by the end of cleaning,the cloth was well black with dirt.

must of worked ok.

Social source share

Agree with Pete - Fairy Liquid - works a treat

Wet the vinyl, use one of those little washing up spongey things, wet with warm water to work FL well into the vinyl. Then rinse under cold tap, carefully avoiding label. Leave to dry.

Someone did tell me once he had cleaned up scratched records with T Cut :lol: , not something I'd try though!

I can confirm that T-cut will remove light scratches, it will also remove deep ones as but will remove the grooves as well. I'd only try it on a record that's unplayable and there's nothing to lose.

Edited by CRUMB
Social source share

If you see what higher strenght glass cleaner does to vinyl you wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Social source share

If you see what higher strenght glass cleaner does to vinyl you wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Yep some high strength glass cleaners are spirit based and can f***k em up proper bad....i know have done it :lol: ..

Social source share

Hi,

If its general dirt & dust it has to be Fairy Liquid & tepid warm water. Be careful of labels that absorb too much water though as some is bound to go on label!

If its mildew, then white sarsons vinegar is what you need.

Alamo

Social source share

I can confirm that T-cut will remove light scratches, it will also remove deep ones as but will remove the grooves as well. I'd only try it on a record that's unplayable and there's nothing to lose.

But doesn't it leave an unnatural glaze on vinyl - a bit like skimming or polishing?

Social source share

I tried Mr Muscle on a few records, you may thing no way but finger grease is acidic so to neutralise Mr Muscle is ideal being caustic soda an alkaline like soap, fairy liquid is as well. One problem is the records are in mono and some of the distortions are not actually there but you can hear them when played in stereo and it's not dirt in the grooves.

While you are at it play a record, get comfortable and have a listen, then clean the plug on the turn tables mains with fine sandpaper and see if you hear any difference.

Social source share

But doesn't it leave an unnatural glaze on vinyl - a bit like skimming or polishing?

I've just checked a reggae LP i T-cutted, what was a deep scratch is now only faint and all the light scratches around it have gone. The area I did is slightly duller than the rest of the surface. Oh, and its totally unplayable, but it was before anyway.

If you T-cut all the playing surface you can probably make a record look better but as for it sounding any better, I doubt it.

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

i have a copy of fantastics on impressario, that plays with easily audible scratches,for the first half of the record. the second half is fine.

ive tried everything mentioned on here so far except the machine and t-cut. nothing has helped so far...

the scratches are not deep, just lots of them making numerous clicks.

it appears the only method left is the T-cut.

could someone post what to do.

and what colour t-cut should i use whistling.gif

shep

Social source share

i have a copy of fantastics on impressario, that plays with easily audible scratches,for the first half of the record. the second half is fine.

ive tried everything mentioned on here so far except the machine and t-cut. nothing has helped so far...

the scratches are not deep, just lots of them making numerous clicks.

it appears the only method left is the T-cut.

could someone post what to do.

and what colour t-cut should i use :D

shep

Don't even think about using T-cut on an expensive record, I should think the best you can hope for is that it looks in better nick than it is, I don't think it will get rid of the noise. You could try getting it skimmed, I'm sure someone on here knows where to get it done.

Social source share

Don't even think about using T-cut on an expensive record, I should think the best you can hope for is that it looks in better nick than it is, I don't think it will get rid of the noise. You could try getting it skimmed, I'm sure someone on here knows where to get it done.

I'm a plasterer and the only records i've skimmed were skimmed in the bin, usually R n B, :D

Social source share

dont laugh but if you have a really fucked dirty record spread wood adhesive generously on the vinyl leave it to dry for 24 hours and then peel off like a flexi frisbee all the shit as stuck to the adhesive .rinse with warm water you wont get it cleaner and its not a piss take it works.wood glue doesnt stick permanantly to plastics

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

dont laugh but if you have a really fucked dirty record spread wood adhesive generously on the vinyl leave it to dry for 24 hours and then peel off like a flexi frisbee all the shit as stuck to the adhesive .rinse with warm water you wont get it cleaner and its not a piss take it works.wood glue doesnt stick permanantly to plastics

merv what the f++k do you put in that pipe :D

Leon

Social source share

Yep some high strength glass cleaners are spirit based and can f***k em up proper bad....i know have done it :yes: ..

yep the one i used burnt off the grooves :thumbsup: luckly tried it on an old record first

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert