Preview Label, Whats What

Guest enchantedrythm

Guest enchantedrythm

post-1914-1182659171.jpg

the above record went for $600 odd, anyone know the story?

post-1914-1182659795.jpg

the above has the same backing, different vocals, anyone know this?

what about:post-1914-1182660078.jpg

or:post-1914-1182660078.jpg

or:post-1914-1182660550.jpg

post-1914-1182659349.jpg

post-1914-1182660338.jpg

post-1914-1182659938.jpg

post-1914-1182659366.jpg

any info gladly recieved

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I don't know of any story behind Terri North - think the seller said it was actually Terri Thornton under a different name. Just a question of a few bidders wanting it - quite a good backing track as I remember, sort of Sandi Sheldon on Okeh tempo. There are a few with the same backing track - The Lord said and Gloria are two that spring to mind and I think there is a third with the same backing but can't remember the title.

I think the common thread with stuff on Preview is that the vocals are generally cr*p! ph34r.gif

Have you got a soundclip of the Bonnie Graham?

Cheers

Mike

Social source share

The Preview label was one of several "song poem" labels. They would advertise in magazines and newspapers saying they wanted budding songwriters to send in lyrics and poems and these would then be set to music by their staff of vocalists and musicians. They would then press up a handful of copies to give to the writers who of course had to pay them money to have their song recorded and made into a record. The main player at Prevue seems to have been Rodd Keith as he appears on hudreds of 45's. The backing tracks were used over and over again to back different sets of lyrics. This is why the lyrics on records on Preview are often absolutely awful - it's because they are not written by professional songwriters but by members of the public.

There are a few websites dedicated to Preview and it's sisters labels. There's also a documentary which I don't have but would love to see.

Obviously I wrote this before checking to see if song poems appeared on wikipedia so if you click below you can get a better explanation to the phenomenon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_poem

Social source share

I don't know of any story behind Terri North - think the seller said it was actually Terri Thornton under a different name. Just a question of a few bidders wanting it - quite a good backing track as I remember, sort of Sandi Sheldon on Okeh tempo. There are a few with the same backing track - The Lord said and Gloria are two that spring to mind and I think there is a third with the same backing but can't remember the title.

I think the common thread with stuff on Preview is that the vocals are generally cr*p! :ph34r:

Have you got a soundclip of the Bonnie Graham?

Cheers

Mike

There's at least 4 versions of Like The Lord Said, in fact I think I've posted 4 up so there must be 5 because there is one on LP only by the MRS Singers which is a totally different version and is the best of the lot (and thats the first time I've actually spilled the beans on that one)

Social source share

There's at least 4 versions of Like The Lord Said, in fact I think I've posted 4 up so there must be 5 because there is one on LP only by the MRS Singers which is a totally different version and is the best of the lot (and thats the first time I've actually spilled the beans on that one)

I remember you getting 'Gloria' what was that last one called you got on 45 with the same backing Pete?

Cheers

Mike

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Does anyone have a sound bite of the Teri North single ?

I would put money on it this lady is also Teri Mathews

Keith masterminded recording sessions for 100's of 45's and dozens of albums working with female singers teri Thornton Charlotte O'Hara and Nita Garfield ( who used 2nomes de disque" Teru Summers , Bonnie Graham and Nita Craig )

Thornton a promissing jazz vocolist in the late 50's and early 60's had fallen on hard times , while the latter were two ambitious singers and song writers who'd had material recorded inthe C&W and the R&B markets.

Teri Thorton appeared in detroit clubs in the 50's she moved to New York city in the 1960's where she found work singing for TV ads and recorded for several different labels.

Late inthe 1960's Thornton faded from public view and only decades later was discovered to have been singing on various song poem records in LA on the preview label as Teri Summers

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Keith masterminded recording sessions for 100's of 45's and dozens of albums working with female singers teri Thornton Charlotte O'Hara and Nita Garfield ( who used 2nomes de disque" Teru Summers , Bonnie Graham and Nita Craig )

Charlotte O'Hara was Bonnie of Bonnie & The Treasures who had that fantastic Phil Spector produced single Home Of The Brave plus a great solo 45 on Warner Bros, if she's got any solo singles on Preview they would be easy to spot as she has a very distinctive shrill voice

Social source share

I have a haunting and slightly awful record called Close to You by Gene Marshall on Preview, nothing like the Rodd Keith or Teri things

Edited by Preems
Social source share

Link to earlier Preview discussion:

:hatsoff2:

DO THE WIGGLY PIG!! oh my god that just made my day in an awful sort of way

Edited by Preems
Social source share

The Terri North thing is pretty competent for a Preview single. Only the lack of a strong hook prevents it from being a very good Northern record.

If it is Teri Thornton I must mention how highly I rate her Columbia 45 "Either Way I Lose" / "Why Don't You Love Me", one of the best 'Island' sounds.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert