Motown & The Mojo Awards

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

I'd just like to acknowledge the hard work and research that the compilers undertook to deliver the Complete Motown Box Set series - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....and what a coup....For once, something decent and worthwhile in the soul genre wins an award :thumbsup:

The MOJO Catalogue Release Of The Year

Voted by a panel of MOJO and HMV pundits to recognise the best re-issue concept and package of the year.

The Complete Motown Singles Vol 6. 1966 (USM/UMGI)

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'd just like to acknowledge the hard work and research that the compilers undertook to deliver the Complete Motown Box Set series - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....and what a coup....For once, something decent and worthwhile in the soul genre wins an award :thumbsup:

Voted by a panel of MOJO and HMV pundits to recognise the best re-issue concept and package of the year.

Yeah, it's just such a pity that HMV couldn't have got their act together when Vol 1 was released so that we could buy it here in the UK. Because of the difficulties in obtaining the early sets, I never bothered, and now don't want to start playing catch up.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Remind us all again, which record company is it that you work for, Jo :thumbsup:

TONE (who couldn't seem to find the trumpet-blowing emoticon...) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah, it's just such a pity that HMV couldn't have got their act together when Vol 1 was released so that we could buy it here in the UK. Because of the difficulties in obtaining the early sets, I never bothered, and now don't want to start playing catch up.

You can order all sets from here:

https://www.soulmusicstore.com/comosiboxse.html

They deliver to all destinations in the world.

Definitely do pick them up.

Superb box-sets. :thumbsup:

Social source share

You can order all sets from here:

https://www.soulmusicstore.com/comosiboxse.html

They deliver to all destinations in the world.

Definitely do pick them up.

Superb box-sets. :thumbsup:

Hi Sebastian,

At a cost of over $800 ! I don't think so. If I could have bought each one as it was released I would probably have done it, but as soon as they stopped accepting orders from UK addresses that was it, and I'm not now prepared to play catch up. Their loss, as well as mine.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Volume 6 contains the 'MYNAH BIRDS - It's My Time / Go On And Cry' .........never heard of this??? Anyone know what it's like?

Yes, The Mynah Birds was a Canadian rock group - its membership included Neil Young and Ricky Matthews, who did rather better for himself with Motown in the late 70s when he changed his name to Rick James...

...it's a really good record of its kind, but possibly not something that most Sourcers would get too excited over.

BTW, please don't think that I'm not glad to see any black music win an award from what is primarily a rock magazine - but I should point out that CMS Vol. 6 actually won its award for its packaging, not its content....

Social source share

I'd just like to acknowledge the hard work and research that the compilers undertook to deliver the Complete Motown Box Set series - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....and what a coup....For once, something decent and worthwhile in the soul genre wins an award thumbsup.gif

Just wonderful collections , I've got 3 so far , from Fopp at around £55 , just essential purchases in my book , the packaging , research , photos etc are second to none . Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Volume 6 contains the 'MYNAH BIRDS - It's My Time / Go On And Cry' .........never heard of this??? Anyone know what it's like?

this was posted up on here a while ago on a Motown theme thread, the side was 'If That's The Way It's Feels', very folk-garage rock feels, kinda of the Byrds meets British invasion.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Yes Tony, I work for Universal and yes, I have an involvement with Motown as the compiler of the Soul Satisfaction series (toot, toot, toot). BUT, the guys who compiled this series don't work for Universal and I just thought they deserved a heads up for their work.....until I saw from your post that the award was for packaging and not for content...........derrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Like Dave, I wasn't able to get the early sets as there was some sort of distribution set up via Hippo-O Select and I never understood how that worked. I still haven't got a copy of this box set yet but I'm aiming to get one soon - and probably NOT via work LOL.

BTW Tony, when is the release date for the Johnny Guitar Watson CD - keep us posted - not able to get Emitcoms to work but a thumbs up if I could. Thanks, Jo

Social source share

At a cost of over $800 ! I don't think so. If I could have bought each one as it was released I would probably have done it, but as soon as they stopped accepting orders from UK addresses that was it, and I'm not now prepared to play catch up. Their loss, as well as mine.

I'm not going to try to persuade you to buy these sets, but can't you buy one volume per month (or every two months) and in about a year you'll have all of them? You don't have to buy ALL at once? huh.gif

And "It's My Time" by The Mynah Birds is a superb piece of jingle-jangle garage pop. A real pity that it never was released on a 45. Would've fit perfectly on the first "Nuggets" box-set. :wicked:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert