Top Modern Tracks At Northern Events

Guest phillybuster

• Replies 73
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

At many allnighters where 6ts is the predominant music there are 6ts fans that are also 7ts fans. Whats the harm in playing a few 7ts records throughtout the night? Some people might not want to hear 7ts soul played alongside 6ts but many want to hear both together in one room.

Nothing wrong with playing a few I suppose, but it's not to my personal taste and I would avoid places that played across the board - thats all...

Social source share

love R&B,love northern, tend to like anything uptempo....uptempo all night,you will find this at Burnley

all night....no joke...they keep it up all night :wicked: ......its the only place i know that does this at the moment

When you get them throwing in the modern,slower,cross over stuff at a northern night,the floor will be full

as people are still buzzing from the uptempo stuff,but the more they play the emptier the floor gets...and the mood

drops off,sometime to a state where its diffficult to get it back,and people slope off home...Me personaly at the end of

the night,want to end on hard and fast,not slow down...but thats me!! :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

i could do a 60s only nighter no problem i love it all

i couldnt do a R&B nighter but i like plenty of the stuff

i couldnt do a modern nighter as same reasons above

But for me i really like a night with a bit of it all mixed in as long as its quality which to be honest it always is,

bollox i just love it all, best way i suppose then im not missing nothing :wicked:

Social source share

Yes, tent music, two step, soulful house, contemporary, popcorn, boogaloo, across the board & probably another ten or so.............when actually all we need is the one 'RARE SOUL' & BTW preferably in one room, played to open minded people who dont care about the decade that a record was released in, they just wanna dance if it has the X factor, played by innovative exciting DJ's, supported by forward thinking promoters..............................& before the flack starts nobody is advocating that the room shouldnt be 60% or so traditional & 40% or so other or what the dancefloor dictates on any particular night.............most of the legendary venues had an open music policy & that is a fact, its just that we have more years of soul music to choose from now..........................

'Take coverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!'.

I'll stop talking sense now & get me coat..........................

Russ

Couldn't agree more....all this obsessive pigeon holing causes more problems than it sets out to solve. Single room venues with broad, quality music policies are where I generally head. As far as legendary venues with open music policies are concerened my list would include Stafford, Cleethorpes, St.Ives, Yarmouth, and (not quite yet legendary) Lifeline. :huh:

Social source share

[

Couldn't agree more....all this obsessive pigeon holing causes more problems than it sets out to solve. Single room venues with broad, quality music policies are where I generally head. As far as legendary venues with open music policies are concerened my list would include Stafford, Cleethorpes, St.Ives, Yarmouth, and (not quite yet legendary) Lifeline. :huh:

Must agree-I am a bit partial to a decent across the board policies...there aren't that many about tbh but MIDDLETON is about as near as it gets I think.

Social source share

love R&B,love northern, tend to like anything uptempo....uptempo all night,you will find this at Burnley

all night....no joke...they keep it up all night :huh: ......its the only place i know that does this at the moment

When you get them throwing in the modern,slower,cross over stuff at a northern night,the floor will be full

as people are still buzzing from the uptempo stuff,but the more they play the emptier the floor gets...and the mood

drops off,sometime to a state where its diffficult to get it back,and people slope off home...Me personaly at the end of

the night,want to end on hard and fast,not slow down...but thats me!! :ohmy: .

I think this is a very poinient observation & thats why promoters should pay particular attention to the DJ's they book & where they slip em in during the night. Dj's should also be proffessional enough to know what tempo is required when...........everyone needs a breather now & again, so nowt wrong with a soulful stepper thrown in for a rest, but on the whole keep the tempo up, altho the hands in the air anthemic Modern stuff does tend to lift a room when you build it & build it & build it & build it..................................then let the little bitches have both barrels with a full on soulful dancer or two, then drop it down & build the set again.......................Modern DJ's tend to be better at this, not sure why really..............I would love to be able to have the dancefloor in the palm of my hand, say like Terry Jones or Sam on occasions & deffo Rod Dearlove when he was behind the wheels of steel, I can only aspire to this level of proffessionalism tho'...............maybe one day.

Russ

Social source share

all night....no joke...they keep it up all night :huh: ......its the only place i know that does this at the moment

the night,want to end on hard and fast,not slow down...but thats me!! :ohmy: .

Now you've hit the nail on the head! It's not the fact that it's 70s.. it's the nature of the music.

Too much wishy-washy mid-tempo stuff. Nothing like it for killing the mood at a nighter.

I never understand why the oldie style uptempo 70s records are so unfashionanble? :)

Social source share

Even the 6T's 100 club all-niters played a fair amount of modern when I went .. How did Clarkie get away with "no stranger to love" there ? :huh:

The 100 Club has always had the odd modern moment thru out the years, I have personally played both 8ts & 9ts records in my sets at the 100 Club on occasions to a fantastic response & I have had loads of requests for 7ts stuff when I have DJ 'd there too.

One venue that I really loved to DJ at was the Capitol Soul Club with Greg, Flynny & co, I did it on two occasions, but the first time I was very nervous & quite conscious of the fact that it was a predominantly 6ts Northern Venue................Greg, gave me the pep talk before I went on & I kinda intimated that I wouldnt play any 7ts stuff & he replied that I should do my normal set & thats why they had booked me, he was dead right too, the predominantly 6ts crowd did not mind the odd modern dancer what so ever & was even expecting & antiscipating it.............I found this very refreshing as Greg, Flynny & co arnt known particularly for thier love of more modern stuff. Just goes to prove, that most venues will enjoy the more modern tracks if they are worked into the set properly.

Russ

Social source share

one room playing 40 years of soul has got to come, probably hung my soul boots up by the time it comes mind you but Anne nesby to Cody Black sounds fine to me

dont you just admire artists who have changed the sound over the years to keep up with the times, the dells didnt go up to Sonny sanders in 81 and say All about the paper? no we cant record that we are into the sixties stuff we did for chess

Dells, Tymes, melvin davis, frankie beverley, you could play any of those in northern or Modern rooms and I admire all their back catalogue not just a small part of it, they have had to adapt for longevity and I think we should as a few people have said we are not getting younger

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

One venue that I really loved to DJ at was the Capitol Soul Club with Greg, Flynny & co, I did it on two occasions, but the first time I was very nervous & quite conscious of the fact that it was a predominantly 6ts Northern Venue................Greg, gave me the pep talk before I went on & I kinda intimated that I wouldnt play any 7ts stuff & he replied that I should do my normal set & thats why they had booked me, he was dead right too, the predominantly 6ts crowd did not mind the odd modern dancer what so ever & was even expecting & antiscipating it.............I found this very refreshing as Greg, Flynny & co arnt known particularly for thier love of more modern stuff. Just goes to prove, that most venues will enjoy the more modern tracks if they are worked into the set properly.

Russ

This is absolutely true. When i started going to the Dome it was perdominently 60s but significantly after the Rocket closed the range became much wider. In the end i reckon it was probably the most across the board soul night in the country at that time and pretty much any era got a good reception.

I miss it :rolleyes:

Social source share

'RARE SOUL' & BTW preferably in one room, played to open minded people who dont care about the decade that a record was released in, they just wanna dance if it has the X factor, played by innovative exciting DJ's, supported by forward thinking promoters..............................

Russ

Russ, when you are back on these shores, you will have to get to Lifeline, you'll love it mate :rolleyes:

Social source share

This is absolutely true. When i started going to the Dome it was perdominently 60s but significantly after the Rocket closed the range became much wider. In the end i reckon it was probably the most across the board soul night in the country at that time and pretty much any era got a good reception.

I miss it :rolleyes:

yeah and it closed pretty sharpish too after that

Social source share

Now you've hit the nail on the head! It's not the fact that it's 70s.. it's the nature of the music.

Too much wishy-washy mid-tempo stuff. Nothing like it for killing the mood at a nighter.

I never understand why the oldie style uptempo 70s records are so unfashionanble? :rolleyes:

I agree. I like the uptempo 70's records, never said I didn't. In fact I actually did a podcast called STOMPING 70'S SOUL or something like that, it's still up there, have a listen! Starts off with Kim Tolliver, Sisters Love, Brothers Sisters & Cousins, Ladies Choice, Prince George, Game Players etc etc. So you see Mel Bratt, I do like some of your records...

https://www.raresoul.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=11

right at the bottom of the page

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Absolutely right Pete - I JUST DONT LIKE ANYTHING MADE LATER THAN THE EARLY 70S FULL STOP :thumbsup::lol::D Stop trying to tell me how good it is and that I must like it, please

Ditto steve L these modern guys tryed it on the in late 70ts... you can remember, it didnt work then :lol: .30 years on they return and try again :lol: .Will they ever give up :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I agree. I like the uptempo 70's records, never said I didn't. In fact I actually did a podcast called STOMPING 70'S SOUL or something like that, it's still up there, have a listen! Starts off with Kim Tolliver, Sisters Love, Brothers Sisters & Cousins, Ladies Choice, Prince George, Game Players etc etc. So you see Mel Bratt, I do like some of your records...

And here I was biting my tongue all this time and staying well out of it! But congratulations on your evolving a slightly broader taste in Soul music after 30 plus years Pete. Black America will be SO proud of you!

Frankly, until I came onto this site I had no idea that these arguments between 60s and 70s Soul were still going on, and I took it for granted that everyone on the scene was a little wiser and more mature after all this time. It appears that I was wrong. As for me, I don't give a damn when a song was recorded, provided it's not a half-baked pop record being passed off as "Soul", and I'm more than happy to hear so-called "traditional" Northern Soul alongside Seventies/Contemporary recordings since I remember many of them being played as "new" discoveries. You can even throw in some funk if you like!

Also bear in mind that many of the 60's records played on the Northern scene in the 70's were at most, 6 or 7 years old when first spun - far newer than many "modern" sides now being played, if that's worth anything!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest soultan

What modern tracks r doing the biz on the Northern scene?

at cleethorpes they played curtis mayfield-move on up followed with candi staton-young hearts run free !

Social source share

at cleethorpes they played curtis mayfield-move on up followed with candi staton-young hearts run free !

Not sure I'd call these "modern soul" tunes, they were both played in main rooms at major venues as new releases. I remember Candi Staton being played regularly in the main room to an appreciative floor at St.Ives alongside most of the tunes that Pete has listed. It just goes to show the differences in definition of "modern soul" that abound.

Given that the term was coined over 20 years ago to differentiate a type of soul that included the likes of David Sea, King Tut, Will Collins, Bobby Thurston etc. etc., and has been stretched to cover almost all types of soul played in a modern soul room including house and R&B (that's the new R&B that has to sound vocally like Stevie Wonder, not proper R&B according to Roger Banks and Hoss), it's no wonder that "modern soul" can be as varied in definition and inclusion as "northern soul" is. I prefer to keep things simple and call it SOUL. :rolleyes:

So back to the thread - on the upside Stevens and Foster has been getting plays in "northern" rooms :thumbsup: , on the downside the DJ Genisis "Tribute To Betty" thing also seems to go down well. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert