Guest phillybuster

• Replies 73
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Should modern be changed to current?

How long does a 70s tune or even 80s have to wait before its an oldie or traditional.

The original definition was coined when they were 5 years old instead of 15 years old.

That 'Angie Stone' toon filled the floor last do I went to.

Ed

Social source share

So now we have...

northern, modern, 60's, 70's, Y2K, crossover, classic soul, club soul, r'n'b and now Northern Modern. Have I missed any out? unsure.gif

Yes, tent music, two step, soulful house, contemporary, popcorn, boogaloo, across the board & probably another ten or so.............when actually all we need is the one 'RARE SOUL' & BTW preferably in one room, played to open minded people who dont care about the decade that a record was released in, they just wanna dance if it has the X factor, played by innovative exciting DJ's, supported by forward thinking promoters..............................& before the flack starts nobody is advocating that the room shouldnt be 60% or so traditional & 40% or so other or what the dancefloor dictates on any particular night.............most of the legendary venues had an open music policy & that is a fact, its just that we have more years of soul music to choose from now..........................

'Take coverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!'.

I'll stop talking sense now & get me coat..........................

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

What modern tracks r doing the biz on the Northern scene?

my dj partner and i have recently been spinning the following to good reception:

walter (butterball) davis - girl stop begging (la cade)

little beaver - listen to my heartbeat (cat)

al hudson & the soul partners - i'm about lovin' you (atco)

moses - i got my mind together (piedmont)

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Yes, tent music, two step, soulful house, contemporary, popcorn, boogaloo, across the board & probably another ten or so.............when actually all we need is the one 'RARE SOUL' & BTW preferably in one room, played to open minded people who dont care about the decade that a record was released in, they just wanna dance if it has the X factor, played by innovative exciting DJ's, supported by forward thinking promoters..............................& before the flack starts nobody is advocating that the room shouldnt be 60% or so traditional & 40% or so other or what the dancefloor dictates on any particular night.............most of the legendary venues had an open music policy & that is a fact, its just that we have more years of soul music to choose from now..........................

Russ

You're talking absolute sense Russ - what does a date matter. Surely it's soul music that's the criterion. I accept that what touches my soul might not touch everyone elses, but surely we are open minded/open eared enough to acknowledge differences and quality without pigeon-holing everything after 31/12/69 as 'modern' and not to be played/accepted at soul nights at any price.

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

You're talking absolute sense Russ - what does a date matter. Surely it's soul music that's the criterion. I accept that what touches my soul might not touch everyone elses, but surely we are open minded/open eared enough to acknowledge differences and quality without pigeon-holing everything after 31/12/69 as 'modern' and not to be played/accepted at soul nights at any price.

You go your way...I'll go mine.

As ever, it's the people supporting 'modern' who try to inflict it on the people who only want to hear 60's. Why this constant need to try to inflict this stuff on people when it's been made clear that it's not wanted. You just do not get 60's supporters attempting to play their music at modern venues and saying listen to this, you MUST like it or you know nothing about soul music.

Someone, please explain why you are always trying to educate us when it comes to music, are we not able to make our own minds up?

Social source share

As ever, it's the people supporting 'modern' who try to inflict it on the people who only want to hear 60's. Why this constant need to try to inflict this stuff on people when it's been made clear that it's not wanted. You just do not get 60's supporters attempting to play their music at modern venues and saying listen to this, you MUST like it or you know nothing about soul music.

Someone, please explain why you are always trying to educate us when it comes to music, are we not able to make our own minds up?

here bl**dy here

Social source share

Your so right Pete. It's not wanted as you have made so plain and clear nor are the people that like all kinds of soul music, not just 60's. So to make you happy and all the other, 'it has to be 60's only people'. I for one have posted my last on this site. I'll leave you happy in knowledge that you can live in your own world and never have to hear from fools like me again.

See you all.

Dave

Social source share

Your so right Pete. It's not wanted as you have made so plain and clear nor are the people that like all kinds of soul music, not just 60's. So to make you happy and all the other, 'it has to be 60's only people'. I for one have posted my last on this site. I'll leave you happy in knowledge that you can live in your own world and never have to hear from fools like me again.

See you all.

Dave

Close the door on your way out.

It's supposed to be a forum for debate where people are allowed to express opinions.

Mine is that 70's and 80's music shouldn't be imposed on those who don't want to hear it.

And thats enough to make you leave the site?

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Russ

Why stop talking when you are making perfect sense Russ :thumbsup:

Check playlists from Harold club last saturday, a mix of styles floor full all night and EVERY punter happy! I personaly love a dj who mixes it up. As you said QUALITY over-rides era, If it is put toghether right. For example I started with up-tempo 60's moved into up-tempo 70's -mid-tempo 70's mid tempo 60's-up-tempo 60's and back to mid-tempo 60's to finish. No-one seemed to mind, and the same people danced to all styles because they LIKED the music. Isn't that what its all about, giving the punters what they want, as opposed to what you think they want? Sure some only like r&b, or 60's or 70's or oldies, but I suggest the majority like a bit of everything as long as it's good!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

See you all.

Dave

Rethink Dave! Your input is greatly appreciated, as is your depth of knowledge on ALL styles.

Personaly I don't like R&B but I don't mind it being played as I know some do, and enjoy it, and I must grudgingly admit that being exposed to some of it has actualy led me to quite like some tracks! As long as there is quality music played, to suit all tastes why not show a little tolerance towards others people? That way we all get some of what we like, and all are winners. No-one can have everything entirely their own way, thats not how it works. Try and force everyone to like what you like only leads to Nazi-like opression. Iv'e been on this planet quite a while, and I must admit, when I was younger I was pretty intolerant to a lot of things then I wised up. Some people don't like gays-should they get things their own way? or those that don't like blacks? or Jews? Where do you draw the line? Get rid of all ginners cos you dont like 'em? People that like sprouts? Loosen up people and enjoy the rich musical diversity, otherwise your only gonna waste time being angry, and lifes too short!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

See you all.

Dave

Dave,

I know you are being ironic and are not withdrawing from the 60s/modern battle!

The modern threads on here have an incredibly high number of views and quite rightly so and you are an excellent contributor to these rich and varied debates.

See you later!

Social source share

Not sure its quite that cut n dry Pete.

Couple of modern dos that I frequent, Monumental & Chi Soul often throw in a few 60s tracks.

All seems to work out fine.

Social source share

Not sure its quite that cut n dry Pete.

Couple of modern dos that I frequent, Monumental & Chi Soul often throw in a few 60s tracks.

All seems to work out fine.

I don't mean at venues so much I mean on here - we're always being told we've got no taste, got no knowledge, just because we prefer to listen to 60's soul but it's relentless - you've got listen to this 70's stuff or you don't appreciate soul music.

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

I don't mean at venues so much I mean on here - we're always being told we've got no taste, got no knowledge, just because we prefer to listen to 60's soul but it's relentless - you've got listen to this 70's stuff or you don't appreciate soul music.

Agreed, wheres the crime in having "personal taste" ?

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I agree with you Pete insofar as to play 'modern' (whatever that's supposed to mean?) at a specific 60's only night would be just as daft as playing a 60's or RnB record at a specific 'modern' night. Just the same as if going to an opera and halfway through getting a couple of heavy rock numbers performed :wicked: !

But there are so many soul nights that are just that - soul nights. And this is the point I'm trying to make - that every record should be judged on quality (whether that be the singer's voice, the tempo, the backing track, the lyrics, its danceability etc) not on the date on which it was produced.

I for one am not trying to 'educate' anyone when it comes to soul music - I've been part of the soul scene since 1968 - collecting and DJing, but would never class myself sufficiently well educated (soul-wise) to be arrogant enough to try to educate anyone else.

Yes I like 'modern' soul; but equally I like 60's soul; infact I like soul music - soul is the sole criterion!! Not date, not label, not vinyl (apart from DJing), not CD, not single, not LP - just soul.

Hope that explains my position.

Social source share

Guest rachel

I think it's in the nature of forums that it's going to be the people who are most passionate and opinionated about their tastes who are most vocal! I also think that there's plenty of 'ammunition' coming from both sides - the "modern is all sh*te disco" and the "if you don't like everything you're blinkered and narrow-minded". Sometimes it's hard to understand why, when you love something, someone else can't find anything good in it. There's always going to be debates over taste on here, on the scene, everywhere in life - if you enjoy them then get stuck in, but if they annoy you, then shrug your shoulders and let them pass you by...

Social source share

Not many replies to the actual title of the thread - once again it has descended into an oldies v newies battle.

Has this topic not been done to death already?

Don't go to many Northern venues these days so if anyone wants to tell me what "post sixties" records are being played feel free.

Social source share

I think people who just like 60's are really feeling the instrumentation ...the Soul singer is secondary and sometimes might say, "Ignore the vocal it's a good track" . I love singers and songs like L.J Reynolds and Dennis Edwards.. great singers with lots of different productions behind them and. still sounding great today . Thankfully promoters don't ignore the different flavours of NS and Soul Music . :thumbsup:

btw Mike Proctor and Vince Montana are played in NS rooms now

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I think people who just like 60's are really feeling the instrumentation ...the Soul singer is secondary and sometimes might say, "Ignore the vocal it's a good track" . I love singers and songs like L.J Reynolds and Dennis Edwards.. great singers with lots of different productions behind them and. still sounding great today . Thankfully promoters don't ignore the different flavours of NS and Soul Music . :thumbsup:

btw Mike Proctor and Vince Montana are played in NS rooms now

You are absolutely spot on...you go to feel it not analyse it

Social source share

You are absolutely spot on...you go to feel it not analyse it

Yes Pete and if your no feeling it you may as well stay at home your right .. I do analyse what I feel though :thumbsup:

Relvelation "Feel it" Handshake , what a Searling track that was !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Yes Pete and if your no feeling it you may as well stay at home

So we all have to go round 'feeling' the music do we. Not sitting chatting to our mates, having a beer and tapping our feet. We all have to grow little beards so we can stroke them while the we're analysing the music.

Social source share

So we all have to go round 'feeling' the music do we. Not sitting chatting to our mates, having a beer and tapping our feet. We all have to grow little beards so we can stroke them while the we're analysing the music.

Yep theres a time and a place for everything IMO .. :thumbsup: Little beards and analysing the music ,sounds like a jazzz club ..Hmmmm nice

Social source share

I would have thought that whatever is the music policy at the majority of 'soul nights' today is, has evolved due to popular demand. Or else they would fail.

Its the 2 choice option: If you like it - go, if you dont - dont.

I mentioned this before, but just a reminder. In the late 70s and early 80s Northern Soul was not a popular term and got exchanged for Rare Soul in most descriptions of soul nights.

Nostalgia has brought it back, but this time it has become inclusive of all styles, certainly in the main.

In any case, the majority of punters go to soul nights for more than just the music. Its the whole scene that stands out, not just the musical era.

IMO Great soul music has no boundry or limitation, you just know when its good, but at the end of the day its all about personal opinion.

Ed

Social source share

There you go ... who was Djaying there Pete ? :thumbsup:

Local lads - Craig, Chaly, Phil - all got great records - but was just pointing out, we don't all go to do's to cast a critival eye over the music - at the end of the day, it's for dancing to, full stop.

Social source share

See you all.

Dave

I for one would not like to see you go Dave, even tho' I am a sixties man..I would'nt put anyone down for liking 70s plus stuff.........only thing I do strongly object to is people saying 60's R&B is junk :D when obviously to anyone with any taste it is the best dance music and every one should like it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bazza

Social source share

I for one would not like to see you go Dave, even tho' I am a sixties man..I would'nt put anyone down for liking 70s plus stuff.........only thing I do strongly object to is people saying 60's R&B is junk :thumbsup:when obviously to anyone with any taste it is the best dance music and every one should like it :thumbsup:whistling.gif

Bazza

I thought I would have got some stick about this ???

Bazza

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

i think people who like modern eg me also like 60s just as much (usually). i do anyway. total 50/50 split. love both. you get plenty poeple liking 60s and not 70s, but few liking 70s and not 60s, which is why i think modern 'fans' have trouble understanding 60s only.

anybody understand that?

and dave, i don't really know yah, but i know messageboards inside out and back to front. i've seen a 1000 people swear they're never coming back, and only one bloke ever stuck to it - and he resigned in latin!! (long story). take a wee break - yer input and knowledge is most welcome to amateurs like me.

Social source share

Guest Ranger

How can you make your mind up about something if you refuse to listen to it?

As for 'modern' supporters trying to inflict things on 6ts fans, it works both ways. I've actually seen someone run the full length of the dancefloor and give the DJ a loud b*llocking for playing a 7ts tune. Nothing too shocking - Channel 3. It was 10.30 and it was the first non 6ts tune played that evening.

What I can't understand is why stuff like Drizabone, Angie Stone, Mr Day, Lisa Stansfied etc are accepted in a lot of 'northern' venues but decent danceable 7ts tunes aren't.

Kev

Social source share

I think people who just like 60's are really feeling the instrumentation ...the Soul singer is secondary and sometimes might say, "Ignore the vocal it's a good track" . I love singers and songs like L.J Reynolds and Dennis Edwards.. great singers with lots of different productions behind them and. still sounding great today .

Think that sixties is raw in comparrison to advancements with 70's . Think 60's followers see the raw in sixties as pure, therefore modern etc maybe a watered down version.

Love sixties, closely followed by seventies and have and have heard decent tunes from 80's & 90's. thumbsup.gif Whatever floats yer boat!

Come back DT. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Think that sixties is raw in comparrison to advancements with 70's . Think 60's followers see the raw in sixties as pure, therefore modern etc maybe a watered down version.

Love sixties, closely followed by seventies and have and have heard decent tunes from 80's & 90's. thumbsup.gif Whatever floats yer boat!

Come back DT. :thumbsup:

Agree. And you stop logging in anonomously Ian :thumbsup:

Social source share

I cannot for the life of me understand why people get so upset about music policies, I enjoy all kinds of Rare Soul & I consider most of it to be pretty good..............the vast majority of NS venues from the year dot, have played 6ts alongside, soul music from other decades as we move into that decade...............it has always happened & is part & parcel of the scene..............Im not making this up, its a fact, it cannot be denied, whether you like it or not.

I am not dictating to anyone that they should or shouldnt like a particualar decade or type of soul music, but to me NS has always been about hearing new sounds, whether they be 6ts newies or danceable soul music from whenever..........its the x factor within the sound that determines whether its accepted on the scene................I enjoy oldies & 6ts soul just as much as I enjoy soul music from other decades, its just that I get excited about hearing something new & invigorating instead of hearing the records I was dancing to 25 plus years ago week in week out, altho if that is what you enjoy, then fine, but its not right to say that records from other decades arnt NS cos they're not 6ts.............also within a good DJ set I think a few good old fashioned oldies go down well mixed in with everything else.

My observations are based on fact & cant be disputed..........but if you like 6ts only then fine, fill ya boots, just dont critisise the rest of us who enjoy other decades too.

Russ

Social source share

Northern played in't South?

Modern played in Northern rooms even if it is 30+ years old?

Does it make any difference any more????

Scene's getting more & more fragmented day by day, numbers are dropping & none of us are getting any younger are we?

Last thing I look at when I buy a record is the year it was bloody made.

Couldn't care less if it is from the 60s (& yes I do still buy some 60s stuff) or was released last bloody week.

Best scene there is so just enjoy it while you still can.

Rethink Mr Thorley please :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

If you're a Soul fan, either argument (60's is better than 70's or vice versa) seems totally flawed.

If the record is 'Soulful' to ones ear or ones emotions, the period in which it was made is irrelevant.

The fact is, '60's only' fans are often more interested in the production values of the period than in the 'Soul' content, which is why so many 60's POP records have been accepted by those with more of an ear for that period in music.

On the flipside, I find that many 'Modern' fans are equally less interested in the 'SOUL' content than they might be in a more contemporary production. This explains why a great deal of POP DISCO fodder gets programmed in 'Modern' rooms as (to the ear of the fan) it fits the bill.

It's a circle that can't be squared, because on the outside of both is the Soul fan who's much more interested in the Vocal, the Lyrics and the true 'Feeling' (or SOULFULNESS) of the track, so production values, styling, era and genre are almost immaterial.

I'm just so very glad that I happen to love it all... (well, nearly all) but can well understand why some might be much more prepared to have and feel an appreciation for one over the other.

thumbsup.gif

Sean Hampsey

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Russ

Amen to that rant mate! All styles in one room would keep me happy.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

At many allnighters where 6ts is the predominant music there are 6ts fans that are also 7ts fans. Whats the harm in playing a few 7ts records throughtout the night? Some people might not want to hear 7ts soul played alongside 6ts but many want to hear both together in one room.

Social source share

me fav play at the moment The way you love me(part1) by Ron Hall and the Motherfunkaz feat Mark Evans (Dims T.S.O.P version) 7 in .... followed closely by D.C La Rue's Cathedrals (old cleethorpes pier play) ....

my most recent purchased vinyl DuShons you better think it over on down to earth 70 ...... yes.gif showing an across the board taste in soul as it should be and how I like it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert