Soulful Squaddies

RAF boys were into it to ...met a couple of soulies whilst in Belize.

Had my stereo booming out some Northern whilst i was taking a shower and this chap came in the block asking who's music it was.

I joined RE Junior Bleeders Old Park Barrarraks Dover in Sept 77

Waterbeach 79-83 (34 Sqn)

Iserlohn 83-85 (5 Sqn)

Tours in NI, Belize, Canada , Kenya.

know a guy in the raf who joined in the late seventies early eighties told me when he was in training there was a group of about 20 guys in one squadron who were well into northern they used to practice there flips spins etc all week and then travel to wigan cleethorpes at weekends another guy i met said he reguarlly went to wigan think hes still in the raf today

Social source share

• Replies 126
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

know a guy in the raf who joined in the late seventies early eighties told me when he was in training there was a group of about 20 guys in one squadron who were well into northern they used to practice there flips spins etc all week and then travel to wigan cleethorpes at weekends another guy i met said he reguarlly went to wigan think hes still in the raf today

Were they in the Red Arrows then?

Social source share

Hi Kev,i'll be there i hope,so you'll have a stacker on the floor..Ady :wicked:laugh.gif

Make sure you say hello Ady. :thumbup:

Kev Such is being interviewed on local radio re the event - today I think, but can't remember what time/station. They're also gonna do a "lookback".

The price of fame :D

He'll be telling us next that he used to live in the Officers Mess!

"STOLEN HOURS" 1st Anniversary, ***RAMSGATE*** 24th NOVEMBER.

2 Rooms + Accomodation + Free unissued Vinyl (first 100 tickets)

*** Change of venue - see Events thread ***

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Hi john H,small world mate,i'ts Ady Hall here i was at 721 ord must ave been around 90-93,i was at the Chiwell Det,We use to across to Hereford quite a bit,i can allways remember playing golf on the made up course out back.

spend most weekends now out and about,all over,No More Doggin,i see oggie on here somewhere,must know him by sight(6 hills niter RnB room).

Got out in 96 like yourself found my feet again on the scene and aven't looked back since.

Hopefully meet up somewhere al the best ady

Ady,

We must know each other by sight.I DJ with my mate as The Melton Mafia at No More Doggin' I left the Army (RCT) in '92 :)

Oggie.

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

hi Oggie,sure we must,been NMD a few times,bet you were in the RnB room at 6 hills niter on sat,i'll come and say ello next time i see the mafia on some where..cheers Ady..Ps Got out in 96 ex RAOC/RLC..

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest moore572

WAS IN 15TH/19TH HUSSARS FROM 1969 -72

SERVED IN GERMANY WITH DAVE EVISON WHO WAS IN NEXT BARRACKS 16TH/5TH LANCERS

USED TO GO TO MOJO SHEFFIELD, WHEEL AND AFTER DISCHARGE TORCH,MECCA ETC

USED TO DJ IN HAMBURG AT SAHARA CLUB ALSO THE JAMES BROWN IN FALLINGBOSTEL, GERMANY

HIGHLIGHT OF COMING HOME ON LEAVE WAS GOING TO MANCHESTER TO THE WHEEL.............. GOOD DAYS

post-8874-1197393836_thumb.jpg

Social source share

joined in 76 and i've bumped across a few in the RAF into Northern - never met a squaddie into Northern though. There was a few of us who practiced the 'odd move' in Fulton Block during training back in the summer of 77 biggrin.gif

Used to be a few squaddies in Berlin late 80s /early 90s who were more into house/garage and used to come along to the Bockler Park doos. Still in now - and even managed to find a soul bar downtown Pristina cool.gif

Social source share

Guest moore572

FOOTNOTE:

ALSO USED TO PAL ABOUT WITH BRIAN LEAR FROM STOCKPORT, DID MY BASIC TRAINING WITH HIM AT CATTERICK AND DEEPCUT, HE WAS IN 3 D.G. USED TO GO TO 'BLAZES' MET HIM AT THE RITZ, MANCHESTER ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO, UNFORTUNATELY HEARD HE HAD PASSED AWAY, HAS ANY ONE GOT ANY INFO ABOUT HIM PLEASE CONTACT ME

post-8874-1197474593_thumb.jpg

Social source share

WAS IN 15TH/19TH HUSSARS FROM 1969 -72

SERVED IN GERMANY WITH DAVE EVISON WHO WAS IN NEXT BARRACKS 16TH/5TH LANCERS

USED TO GO TO MOJO SHEFFIELD, WHEEL AND AFTER DISCHARGE TORCH,MECCA ETC

USED TO DJ IN HAMBURG AT SAHARA CLUB ALSO THE JAMES BROWN IN FALLINGBOSTEL, GERMANY

HIGHLIGHT OF COMING HOME ON LEAVE WAS GOING TO MANCHESTER TO THE WHEEL.............. GOOD DAYS

Were the 16th/5th Lancers at Hohne? If so I had a mate in 'em in '74.

I didn't know there was ever anything on in Fallingbostel - but that's the price of being a pad I guess.

-Kev

Social source share

Somewhere along the line we must have met. Did you live in Kettering or nearby? I remember the George as thats wher all the punchups were held with the Corby lads, and the bouncers were vicious thugs who liked to pick on 16 year olds!!! Did you see Johnny Johnson and the Equals at th Tin Hat? Whats the scene like in Kent?

Nice to meet you at last, at the Cracker, Derek. :thumbsup:

:unsure: 20 Sqn, ohmy.gif 30 Sqn - seems you were avoiding me after you'd joined up too. :(

- Kev.

Social source share

Guest moore572

Nice to meet you at last, at the Cracker, Derek. :thumbup:

:thumbup: 20 Sqn, :thumbup: 30 Sqn - seems you were avoiding me after you'd joined up too. :thumbup:

- Kev.

16/5th lancers were at Fallingbostel till 1971 from there they went to Armagh for 2 years dont know if they went to Hohne just after that as i got out in '72

Social source share

16/5th lancers were at Fallingbostel till 1971 from there they went to Armagh for 2 years dont know if they went to Hohne just after that as i got out in '72

:thumbsup: Bloody hell! I thought I was the nearest thing to a Chelsea Pensioner on this thread :P .

I think 16/5th were at Hohne in '74 when I was there, but I was also Armagh way in '72 so might be getting my wires crossed.

I hope someone comes up with some info for ya on your old mate Brian.

-Kev.

Social source share

Guest moore572

:thumbsup: Bloody hell! I thought I was the nearest thing to a Chelsea Pensioner on this thread :P .

I think 16/5th were at Hohne in '74 when I was there, but I was also Armagh way in '72 so might be getting my wires crossed.

I hope someone comes up with some info for ya on your old mate Brian.

-Kev.

58 years old on monday 17th december, still going strong, but having trouble with back-drops and spins

Social source share

Me too, Kev. Wherever you found the Army/ Marines/ Navy, you'd find Northern Soul....can't comment on the RAF. Never had any dealings with them :thumbup: Jo

This was also true for us Jo. Kim and Steve noble - who are older than me - got into Northern a few months before me...when two guys - Josh and Ging came down from Chatham to the Elizabethan Barn and were dancing northern. Think they had come off a boat at RN Dockyard. So that supports your theory of the influence the military had on "spreading the word". Of course Dearlove was also stationed at Chatham in the 70s, but I never knew him then. Don't think he ever went out that much.

Steve

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

This was also true for us Jo. Kim and Steve noble - who are older than me - got into Northern a few months before me...when two guys - Josh and Ging came down from Chatham to the Elizabethan Barn and were dancing northern. Think they had come off a boat at RN Dockyard. So that supports your theory of the influence the military had on "spreading the word". Of course Dearlove was also stationed at Chatham in the 70s, but I never knew him then. Don't think he ever went out that much.

Steve

Do you remember the bunch of lads I bought down to the church hall - Dave Boothby from Doncaster and I can't remember the rest. They were all in the Green Howards - based in Gillingham but the barracks were pulled down not long after....they all used to go to various venues during the 7Ts. Always a bunch of matelots at the Pembroke Club in Chatham Dockyard jigging about in their baggies :thumbup: it was that lot that finally dragged me into this mess I'm in now :thumbup: Gawd bless 'em. Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Do you remember the bunch of lads I bought down to the church hall - Dave Boothby from Doncaster and I can't remember the rest. They were all in the Green Howards - based in Gillingham but the barracks were pulled down not long after....they all used to go to various venues during the 7Ts. Always a bunch of matelots at the Pembroke Club in Chatham Dockyard jigging about in their baggies :thumbup: it was that lot that finally dragged me into this mess I'm in now :shhh: Gawd bless 'em. Jo

Think you bought Rylett down once as well. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Steve

Rod tells a funny story about a night out with Dave Greet when he was stationed down there :thumbup:

Social source share

joined in 76 and i've bumped across a few in the RAF into Northern - never met a squaddie into Northern though. There was a few of us who practiced the 'odd move' in Fulton Block during training back in the summer of 77 :thumbup:

Used to be a few squaddies in Berlin late 80s /early 90s who were more into house/garage and used to come along to the Bockler Park doos. Still in now - and even managed to find a soul bar downtown Pristina cool.gif

remember fulton block well was on the bottom floor right hand side beside appos parade square good laugh wasnt many soulies there when i was there. Bumped into a guy who was based in las vegas he had a mate based with him well into northern, record collector says hes making a killing in the record stores over there lucky b**tard never met any grunts into soul in my time few fish heads though

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Think you bought Rylett down once as well. :wicked:

He might have come down under his own steam - I don't remember bringing him....although we did make a fabulous double act at Bogarts in Strood..... rolleyes.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Marcus B

Kevin K,

Great to Meet up with your at the N.H.I.C. last Friday and chat about our experiences from R.E. days.

Blimey NI 4 TIMES.!!!! Lucky man esp. in those darker days!

I never made it to the RSME at Chatham for a longer duration as whenever a course came up I was due a Tour abroad (& I didn't want to miss travelling).

Marcus

Social source share

I knew Dave Gelling when I was stationed at Maidstone '71 - '74 and still got some of the vinyl I swopped with him. Used to knock around a bit with him and a couple of other army soulies - Steve Dartnell from Preston, and Glen Chambers (a Londoner I think), both RE's.

Didn't get up to much down South, stride around Maidstone in our Skinners and Parallels, drink in the "Wig & Gown, occasional nights at The Avenue in Gillingham, or trips to Camberley. There was also a short lived Northern club above a pub in Canterbury St, Gillingham, about '72 - bloody brilliant too.

Also new Stevie Walsh very well, but can't remember if it was at Maidstone or Germany.

Haven't seen any of them since the old days though.

I've always reckoned it was the lads in the services who were responsible for spreading Northern Soul throughout the UK :D

Social source share

i have a lp in my tiny collection ojays on liberty on back cover in ball point pen is written dave gelling soul brother number no 1 twisted wheel 4 right on etc etc.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

You did bring him once cos we all thought he was a bit miserable :P

I was still living at home when I used to come down to the church hall....and I hadn't met Rylatt then - are you sure it wasn't Bill Ayers. Both me and Kim bought chunks of Bill's collection off him and he was fairly miserable. Maybe it was because we bought all the UK at 50p and US at £1 :) It could only have been Rylatt in '80/81 onwards when I was djing in Strood @ Bogarts....unless I'm going senile.

.....plus the Green Howards had left Chatham by then and my mate Dave Boothby had gone back up North.

post-1898-1201541149_thumb.jpg

This is Keith

post-1898-1201541192_thumb.jpg

And the bloke in the middle is Bill Ayers circa '65

post-1898-1201541242_thumb.jpg

And is this Kim the Originator - not the Imitator :P

Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

i have a lp in my tiny collection ojays on liberty on back cover in ball point pen is written dave gelling soul brother number no 1 twisted wheel 4 right on etc etc.

:) Thanks for that Kim. Apart from first Ash and then myself enquiring about about him, this is the only mention of Dave Gelling on here.

I guess he must be out of the scene now - a pity 'cos he was a top bloke and a good mate.

-Kev.

Social source share

Kevin K,

Great to Meet up with your at the N.H.I.C. last Friday and chat about our experiences from R.E. days.

Blimey NI 4 TIMES.!!!! Lucky man esp. in those darker days!

I never made it to the RSME at Chatham for a longer duration as whenever a course came up I was due a Tour abroad (& I didn't want to miss travelling).

Marcus

It was a good night, and nice to chat with you Marcus. Nothing like picking an Irish Centre to reminisce in. :)

I like your avatar mate - does it bring back painful memories :P

Thanks for the little nod re NI too :P . It's a much nicer place now. I've been back a few times and had a couple of nights out over there. I often feel a bit cheated though by missing out on the Falklands and all that has followed.

There'll be a bit of a Sapper reunion as usual at the "Cream Cracker" on 22nd March. They'd better dance in time when I'm on the decks :lol: . I'm looking to get up to one/some of Reg's nights soon (once I find the dates) so no doubt catch you there.

-Kev

Social source share

Kev I'm deffo in Chatham in May for 3 days (16-18 May)

Is there anything on locally on evening 16th?

Be good 2 meet and swing the lead

17th no good as thats our Football Reunion Dinner

Failing that meet up for a beer maybe?

I'll leave it with you m8

UBIQUE

Social source share

Kev I'm deffo in Chatham in May for 3 days (16-18 May)

Is there anything on locally on evening 16th?

Be good 2 meet and swing the lead

17th no good as thats our Football Reunion Dinner

Failing that meet up for a beer maybe?

I'll leave it with you m8

UBIQUE

Ash, nothing springs to mind mate but I'll keep my ear to the ground. A beer would be good anyway :rolleyes: and I look forward to it mate.

-Kev.

"CREAM CRACKER" 22nd March Rothwell Town FC, Rothwell, KETTERING

£4 OTD. 7.30-1.00 DJ's - Mark D, Kevin Kent, Trev Davison, John McDade, Kev Such.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

• 3 months later...

:wave: If any of you Soulful Sappers are in the vicinity of the R.S.M.E. for the R.E. footie next weekend......

There is a free Sunday afternoon session in Gillingham.

Check out AIN'T NO BIG THING on the Events thread and calender for 18th May.

And if you do make it - be sure to say hello!

-Kev.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

this might be of interest to any of you lot who don't make it down to freebasing all that often :lol: picking up the brass

:( Cheers Dan, this should bring back a few memories!

I never did thank you publicly for those copies of "In Foreign Fields".

For those that haven't read IFF,each chapter relates the story surrounding an act of heroism in Iraq or Afghanistan - in the words of those who were awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, Millitary Cross, and other "gongs" - and all put together by Dan. I don't know whether it was a feeling of pride, a sense of affinity, or what but it certainly got me choked a few times.

Very easy to read too. I just read each individual chapter when I had the time, with no need to remember what had gone before. Perfect.

Dan, I'm avoiding reading further snippets of this latest offering 'cos I'm definately going to read the book.

Thanks again :unsure:

-Kev

Social source share

Guest xsquadie

Just read the snippets, and Its spot on. Who didn't get recruited by that guy. He must have worked in every office. They promise you the earth and you finish up not even getting a grass sod. I,m defo getting a copy of the book. Thanks for posting the Int on the book.

Roger out.

P.S I turned into him after 22yrs LOL

Social source share

Guest kev such

Anyone going to Kev Such's "Christmas Cracker" at Rothwell nr Kettering on Dec 8th?

Usually a few sappers on the dancefloor there.

Im going Kev. Oh yeah thats right im promoting it. Also i have got to set the market stalls up. I tell you what mate it aint an easy life you know.

like Mr Kent im Ex Re too. Must admit when i went into the mob, because me mum wouldnt let me back in the house, as it was 83 most of the guys at Gib same time as me were soulies etc. I can remember picking stones up off of the parade square no bigger than my little finger nail in the snow on a Sunday afternoon whilst listening to the soulful tunes coming out of the training block windows. Kids today dont know they are bloody born.

Did anyone on here ever attend the soul nights we held in the 35 Engr Rgt Gym? I did about 4 and gave the dosh to SSAFA? would have been about 85 to 87 (ish)

If you come to the Cream Cracker on the 16th August and prove you are RE i'll buy your first pint. That doesnt include you Mr Kent, i already know you ARE RE (well farmer type), NA NA NA NA NAHHHHH.

Hows Mags doing Ady (blanket stacker) please give her mine and Karens regards?

The photo on the giveaway Cd for the 3rd Anniversary has got a group photo on it and Mags is at the front.

Be good peeps and if you cant get pissed and trash the place (wise words).

Anyone one know Paul Jaundrel. Met him in basic and had some great soul nights whilst doing bullshit stuff.

Kev

Have just looked at the date at the top ansd realised im 7 months out of date. Its only because Taffy Sandal wouldnt let me go to bed once until we had drank the Cpls mess dry, nearly managed it aswell if the duty officer hadnt noticed the broken window and my response rate is well slow now (happy days).

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Can any of you help me find some old mates who were all in the army at some time (and one Navy chap). I need them for my 50th Birthday Party!

• Knocker Cole (Andrew) originally from Stroud - disappeared off the scene when he went into the army. We used to travel all over together
  • Gary Summersgill - ex RHA (Bramcote, Kings Troop, Kirton in Lindsey etc) Sorry not an army type so don't know all the right technical terms for the places!!! Was a PT instructor, chef, horseman - in fact always seemed to be taking on new things
  • Gary Steele from Barnsley - was at Tidworth for a while. Last seen at Trentham Gardens a few years ago.
  • Ginge Halvey - ex Navy - last known working in Thailand but believe he's back now. Features dancing on a famous record cover!

cheers

Judy

Social source share

Guest john f

Any ex Army people on here at all? :P

Be good to see where you were based and what clubs you went to.

Be good to catch up Hopefully with some old soul pals particularly these:-

Dave Gelling - Wythenshaw/Manc - ex RAOC

Stevie Walsh - Manc - ex RE

Dave Hill - Sheffield - ex RAOC

Both Dave's were on courses with me "darn sarf" at Deepcut,Surrey 72

Stevie was in Hameln,Germany 73-76

Anybody know 'em? Cheers :)

Hi to all you pongos, i was Royal signals 75-85, spent time in Harrogate, cant remember the name of the club there, but when we had the money used to go to the Cats Whiskas at Leeds, recently saw a poster for that place on a cd cover ,. Remember getting my clothes and shoes from Blues and Soul mag.Then went to Germany based in Verden , used to drive to Rheindalen on a friday night when there was a good Scottish dj in a club which i cant remember the name of but played some good tunes, anyone know this place ?, remember the drive was about 4 hours each way , lost touch with clubs and the scene when i got married and had 4 kids, trying to get back into it around Northants, good to read about ex-squaddies, lots on here, just been to a re-union in Corsham anyone on here go?? stand easy John

Social source share

Hi to all you pongos, i was Royal signals 75-85, spent time in Harrogate, cant remember the name of the club there, but when we had the money used to go to the Cats Whiskas at Leeds, recently saw a poster for that place on a cd cover ,. Remember getting my clothes and shoes from Blues and Soul mag.Then went to Germany based in Verden , used to drive to Rheindalen on a friday night when there was a good Scottish dj in a club which i cant remember the name of but played some good tunes, anyone know this place ?, remember the drive was about 4 hours each way , lost touch with clubs and the scene when i got married and had 4 kids, trying to get back into it around Northants, good to read about ex-squaddies, lots on here, just been to a re-union in Corsham anyone on here go?? stand easy John

Hi John. You shouldn't have much trouble getting back into the scene in Northants and the surrounding area mate.

One I've yet to check out is "Creative Soul" in Wellingboro, which I reckon caters for the more underplayed and Modern side of things and is on the 26th of this month. Or maybe see you at the "Cream Cracker" Rothwell which is a popular (with some) oldies night that attracts a good few travelling soulies. There's plenty more of course, something for every taste and you're a bit spoilt for choice compared to me down in Kent.

-Kev.

Social source share

Guest john f

Hi John. You shouldn't have much trouble getting back into the scene in Northants and the surrounding area mate.

One I've yet to check out is "Creative Soul" in Wellingboro, which I reckon caters for the more underplayed and Modern side of things and is on the 26th of this month. Or maybe see you at the "Cream Cracker" Rothwell which is a popular (with some) oldies night that attracts a good few travelling soulies. There's plenty more of course, something for every taste and you're a bit spoilt for choice compared to me down in Kent.

-Kev.

Thanks for that Kev, been to cream cracker, thought it was very good, only got one weekend free per month due to 2 weekends with kids and one i work, will try Wellingborough if i can , also need to get to Rugby and Banbury which is where i'm from originally, cheers John

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest the major

Anyone going to Kev Such's "Christmas Cracker" at Rothwell nr Kettering on Dec 8th?

Usually a few sappers on the dancefloor there.

"STOLEN HOURS" 1st Anniversary,***RAMSGATE***24th NOVEMBER.

2 Rooms + Accomodation + Free unissued Vinyl (first 100 tickets)

*** Change of venue - see Events thread ***

Hi Kev,

as it goes I used to DJ back in the early 8Ts at the Archers and(to my everlasting shame) Davinchis in Maidstone, as well as The Clarence in Tunbridge Wells; all the crossover stuff as Jazz Funk was going wild. Would DJ on a Sunday night in the Clarence before belting down the motorway to get back to Sandhurst so I could spend a nice nite on the floor to save me bed block.

Social source share

• 4 months later...

wink.gif C'mon guys - have you all seen the "Dj's Stand Up" thread in the Events forum?

For more information on "Soul for Heroes" try this link www.soulforheroes.webs.com .

I will certainly be at the Sutton in Ashfield dayer, and am looking for a venue in the south too.

By the way, announced today- 27th June 2009 is the first official NATIONAL ARMED FORCES DAY.

Social source share

:huh: C'mon guys - have you all seen the "Dj's Stand Up" thread in the Events forum?

For more information on "Soul for Heroes" try this link www.soulforheroes.webs.com .

I will certainly be at the Sutton in Ashfield dayer, and am looking for a venue in the south too.

By the way, announced today- 27th June 2009 is the first official NATIONAL ARMED FORCES DAY.

:lol: On behalf of SOUL FOR HEROES (SOUTH) I am in the early stages of organising an event, in Chatham, on 27th June 2009.

This will coincide with the ARMED FORCES DAY events which are being centred nationally at Chatham Historic Dockyard.

It'd be great to see some of you guys there!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert