• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest EType69

Hi,

Can someone tell me the two serial numbers For Do I Love you on Tamla Motown?

Thanks

Steve

I know one issue is TMG 1170, wasn,t it also issued with another number?

Social source share

Guest EType69

If you mean when it was re issued with Chris Clark version on the other side then the number is

CAT NO 982 153 0.

One on eBay now if you are looking.

Thanks Tabs, I may be wrong but I thought it was issued twice on TM with the same B side.

Steve

Social source share

Thanks Tabs, I may be wrong but I thought it was issued twice on TM with the same B side.

Steve

You are not wrong, it was issued in 1979 and 1981 with the same B isde -Sweeter as the days go by.

From memory both issues had the same matrix number.

I think the difference is the label / paper but I'm sure someone will provide more details.

Cheers

Tabs

Social source share

You are not wrong, it was issued in 1979 and 1981 with the same B isde -Sweeter as the days go by.

From memory both issues had the same matrix number.

I think the difference is the label / paper but I'm sure someone will provide more details.

Cheers

Tabs

Easiest way to tell is the 1979 issue is distributed through EMI, the 1981 issue distributed through RCA.

Also, the recent one with Chris Clark on the flip is a slightly different take.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Easiest way to tell is the 1979 issue is distributed through EMI, the 1981 issue distributed through RCA.

I thought it had been pressed up four times in the UK - but maybe I dreamt that? I think there may be some subtle differences in the deadwax matri.

:D

Social source share

I thought it had been pressed up four times in the UK - but maybe I dreamt that? I think there may be some subtle differences in the deadwax matri.

:D

Yeah, that's right, several pressings, but anyone of these worth having. RCA took over about 1981 (my copy came with an orange Tamla Motown sleeve RCA distributed and on the label). Some early ones on EMI have perforated middles, rest have solid centres.

Social source share

isn't it a very recent re-recording?

Do you think? I know it's been re-recorded/mixed cause' it's on my missus KFC cd and sounds 'newer', also on the Motown CD which came free with Q magazine (think it was that one). It's the drum beat which gives it away on these CD recordings, newish sounding like on a lot of Ian Levine's Motor City tunes.

The 45 doesn't sound the same as these though, the backing is identical to the 60's cut, just Frank's slightly different vocal cut, bit of an "ah" here and a "huh" there and so on. I could be wrong though, perhaps he re-recorded the vocal over the 60's rhythm. Haven't played it for a while so will dig it out and give it another spin....

Social source share

Here's my hastily recalled and open to question time line.

The original UK Tamla release was mixed in the late seventies using an "Eddie Foster" as a reference. The next official release was on This is Northern Soul which was a bit of a rush job without a few of the original master tapes available. But Do i Love You appeared in an alternative stereo mix with a slightly different vocal to the familiar single. It then appeared in a slightly different mix on Northern Soul Connoiseurs and I believe this version was on the KFC ads.

This is Northern Soul was reissued as part of a double CD with the original master tapes used this time but Do I Love you was the same version as above. And then the 45 with Chris Clark's cover using the same instrumental tapes as Frank Wilson wasissued a couple of years ago.

There's an alternative Chris Clarke on Cellarful of Motown

I don't have connoiseurs nor an Eddie Foster and if truth be told i cannot be arsed digging the others out out and listening to them.

However why would Motown re record any of the above for a minor re issue in the UK. They've got the master tapes.

Social source share

Here's my hastily recalled and open to question time line.

The original UK Tamla release was mixed in the late seventies using an "Eddie Foster" as a reference. The next official release was on This is Northern Soul which was a bit of a rush job without a few of the original master tapes available. But Do i Love You appeared in an alternative stereo mix with a slightly different vocal to the familiar single. It then appeared in a slightly different mix on Northern Soul Connoiseurs and I believe this version was on the KFC ads.

This is Northern Soul was reissued as part of a double CD with the original master tapes used this time but Do I Love you was the same version as above. And then the 45 with Chris Clark's cover using the same instrumental tapes as Frank Wilson wasissued a couple of years ago.

There's an alternative Chris Clarke on Cellarful of Motown

I don't have connoiseurs nor an Eddie Foster and if truth be told i cannot be arsed digging the others out out and listening to them.

However why would Motown re record any of the above for a minor re issue in the UK. They've got the master tapes.

Thanks for that Felo, it's all clear now :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert