Do You Only Play Expensive Hot Records

Simon M

Deejays ...Do you only take a record off the shelf after its gone at a high price on auction or on a dealers list ?

Could you play lots of cheap records or would that destroy your reputation like it did Sean Hampsey's ? ( only joking Sean I bought most of your spins :rolleyes: )

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'd love to say price doesn't come into it, because it shouldn't, but there is some expectation at some venues that known but still rare records will be played certainly if you judge by the requests you get.

Next friday at the Bitter Suite in Preston I'll be trying to play things few people know whatever the price. The following Saturday at Thorton Social Club in the 'rare' room, with the line up, some one-up-manship is bound to be on the cards but that won't stop me playing a couple of $5 unknowns (no doubt only to told how common they are and who played them first and where :rolleyes: ).

Social source share

Deejays ...Do you only take a record off the shelf after its gone at a high price on auction or on a dealers list ?

Could you play lots of cheap records or would that destroy your reputation like it did Sean Hampsey's ? ( only joking Sean I bought most of your spins :D )

Simon

I certainly think a lot of DJs lack any sort of initiative but do have big bank balances & so can buy the currently popular big plays or tips from mags or perhaps suggestions on here. They just don't have the gumption to play things that won't instantly pack the floor zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nothing wrong with cheap records & as Chalky says there are actually loads of cheapies that the majority of people don't know, some of us don't have a reputation (at least not a good one :lol: ) so couldn't give a shit :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I buy tunes i really want and its a complete gutter for me if it ends up being expensive as i would love all my tunes to be cheap, the feeling you get when you find a tune you really like and its a cheapy £5 etc is great but what a bummer when you find a tune to discover its a few hundred quid upwards, some cheapies sound like big tunes and visa versa, i think the problem is the not so good tunes that are bloody expensive and the DJ is just saying to the crowd i only play expensive tunes even if they are shite.

price is a factor but not an answer to quality.

Bearsy

imvho of course

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

what counts as a cheapie?

under £50, £100 or is it less than £25?

Just intrested in what people count as cheap...

I would say less than a single note of the royal mint £50, but then again thats a lot of dosh when you can buy a CD album for a tenner.

about £20 tops give or take a few quid.

Social source share

It's all relative really Mischief, to somebody on the dole anything is expensive.

Not me by the way as I'm back amongst the tax payers :thumbsup:

Social source share

Less than £25 would qualify as cheap for me. I'd have loved to see the planned "everything less than £50" allnighter come off. so I guess the planner of this had anything less than £50 as a cheapie in their book.

Social source share

I'd say anything less than £20 is probably classed as a cheapie thesedays. It used to be a fiver ! But then if you wade through Ebay / Record Fairs / Dealer Boxes at 45s sold or selling at less than a fiver you can on any given day find terrific SOUL 45s.

Case in point this week - Percy Sledge Rainbow Road b/w Standing On The Mountain (UK Atlantic Demo) - £2.50 Inc. P&P........ Okay not a 'nighter' sound but then so what? Who's missing out? Hot Box dj's with a couple of hundred tunes or the armchair collector with several thousand soul 45s albeit not crammed full of 'big tickets'. Personal choice of course but I think if you let price/rarity dictate what you collect and/or play your missing out. Big time.

Regards

Rich

Social source share

I play stuff that I really like and believe the dance floor will like as well. Value has little to do with it, as it has never been a very good measurement of quality.

I try where I can to visit venues I am going to dj at before the night I'm booked to get a feel for the venue, but where that is not possible, get there as early as possible to listen to the other dj's and watch the crowd.

I try to ignore trends, whats hot etc and play from my heart. But there again, I've always lived in my own little world :thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Yes Chalky is a very interesting DJ .. Hes not on many places though is he ?

allways plays a great spot top dj is chalky

cheers bish

Social source share

Depends , some people might say under £250 is cheap these days :thumbsup:

yea but who are them people that say £250 is cheap these days to me its expensive to others who pay £1000 plus for a record its cheap

Social source share

i'm having a feling of deja vu here.

is this just the hot box thread just re-packaged ?

My view is if you travel a long way you want rare sounds you can't hear at home or on CD's but also they must be quality sounds or else whats the point. Rarity alone is not enough.

but having said that my memory from the yarmouth weekender was Joe Tex "All the heaven a man realy needs" so my arguement is flawed.

I'll sit on the fence for this debate as I enjoy hearing the big money rarities but also enjoy a few lesser played ceapies thrown into the mix.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I've always lived in my own little world :(

Dave, I'll come and live in it but there has to be cake :D

I was going through some of my old Port 45s to put into my playbox - Carol Fran 'Anyday', Chris Towns Unit, Jets, Gees, Intrigues etc which I still class as 'cheapies'....most cost me 60p and then I saw Carol Fran on a list for £100. So my cheapies are now £100+ :lol: Which has meant that I've had to go out and buy more cheapies....Eddie Bo 'Every dog' was $35 last week and a couple at $10....so bit by bit I'm clawing back my 'cheapies' selection :Dlaugh.gif It's often been said that I'm cheap and now it's official :thumbsup: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Yep you have played some cracking cheapies , over the years Dave ... Anacostia being a favourite and a Big record too !!

and a few more

Persuaders-Trying to love two woman

Mahattans-Crazy

Johnny Gilliam-Room full of tears

Robert Tenard-Gotta get goin

21st Century Ltd-Your smallest wish

Gene Dozier-The best girl I ever had

TSU Toronadoes-What good am I

Willie Johnson-What am I going to do

Four Sonics-If it wasn't for my baby

Jimmy McCloud-The night the angles cried

Al Perkins-Yes my goodness, yes

Well they were cheap when I played them

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

There are some cracking cheapies out there just waiting to be played you just gotta have the balls to play them also loads of unknown or semi known tracks just waiting to be heard and if they get the dancefloor moving then i say play them, imo some £5 records can be as good if not better than some megabucks big tune its all about the confidence you have in the records themselves that matters.

cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

and a few more

Persuaders-Trying to love two woman

Mahattans-Crazy

Johnny Gilliam-Room full of tears

Robert Tenard-Gotta get goin

21st Century Ltd-Your smallest wish

Gene Dozier-The best girl I ever had

TSU Toronadoes-What good am I

Willie Johnson-What am I going to do

Four Sonics-If it wasn't for my baby

Jimmy McCloud-The night the angles cried

Al Perkins-Yes my goodness, yes

Well they were cheap when I played them

Cool list :thumbsup: . how much did you aquire Pyramid for Dave ?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I shall be playing tunes from £15-£500+ at the Harold on Saturday. Price and quality are not the same thing :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Isnt price just relative to how much that person earns, i have never paid more than £300 for any thing i play and that was only one record, i tend to spend as little as i can and try to get records as cheaply as possible, if it is too expensive i sell some to pay for it or trade some. so most of my records are cheapish :thumbsup:

back to the subject i would say for me from 10 to 50 is cheap but that is just me.

mark

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

I never take out records of a value more than about £20 to any venue simply because I wouldnt want the risk of them being damaged or stolen. Although I am predominantly an 80's collector/DJ, I would never consider taking a record such as Hipnotic, Rome Jefferies or Jagg out of my house, largely because I know from the minute I put it in the car to the moment I had left the venue I would not be relaxed. Anyone else identify with that ?

Social source share

I never take out records of a value more than about £20 to any venue simply because I wouldnt want the risk of them being damaged or stolen. Although I am predominantly an 80's collector/DJ, I would never consider taking a record such as Hipnotic, Rome Jefferies or Jagg out of my house, largely because I know from the minute I put it in the car to the moment I had left the venue I would not be relaxed. Anyone else identify with that ?

Yeah I had a box of 100 Northern and Modern titles , at the airport in Copenhagen and securtiy walked off with it ..I started to sweat and felt a bit sick :lol: They came back and said "Ahhh old records Sir " :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I tend to look out for the cheapies , they're the ones people seem to pass over. Last week i had chance to obtain LILLIAN DUPREE - I'VE GOT A SHEILD ROUND MY HEART .Not at an big price but instead I got FRED HUGHES - WALK BACK TO YOU and BILLY STEWART - CRAZY ABOUT YOU BABY both extremely cheap . I must say IMHO BOTH are as good in there own rights as LILLIAN DUPREE

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I play stuff that I really like and believe the dance floor will like as well. Value has little to do with it, as it has never been a very good measurement of quality.

I try where I can to visit venues I am going to dj at before the night I'm booked to get a feel for the venue, but where that is not possible, get there as early as possible to listen to the other dj's and watch the crowd.

I try to ignore trends, whats hot etc and play from my heart. But there again, I've always lived in my own little world :thumbsup:

Well said that man !! As the legend goes . . . . Its what's in the groove that counts !

Social source share

Could you play lots of cheap records or would that destroy your reputation like it did Sean Hampsey's ? ( only joking Sean I bought most of your spins :lol: )

Simon

That really made me smile, Simon.

:D

I trust you're still enjoying them?

But you're right. I took a helluva lotta stick (or was it sh#t?) at the time.

Nevertheless, I'm privileged to have a reputation as the nighter Jock that bucked the 'Rare Soul Only' trend. It gave me the chance to call upon an abundance of really good records.

To be honest, I always felt I was more of a Soul DJ than purely a 'Northern' one.

Good to see that in recent times there's a lot more people that feel the same.

But... it's been a long time coming!

:thumbsup:

Sean

(Reputation Almost Intact)

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

ive only been collecting a couple of years, so i dont fall into to the category of " bought it for 1 groat 40 years ago" unfortunately.

so i have had to cough up for records i really like, benny harper / martiniques / kings of soul.

but my favourite 2 records at the moment are - major lance / story of my life ( bought a number of years ago ) &

tyrone davis / can i change my mind ( bought yesterday)

i would play them out no problem :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

forgot to say,

i think the DJ who plays a set littered with cheapies that sit nicely alongside hot box records, gets my vote :thumbsup:

and surely this would enhance his reputation :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes Chalky is a very interesting DJ .. Hes not on many places though is he ?

allways plays a great spot top dj is chalky

cheers bish

Why thanks the pair of you :thumbsup: My last set I played out....

CL Blast - What Can I Do - United

Harold Melvin - Hot Chills Cold Thrills & Fever - Dash

Contours - Jealousy

Chuck Henley - Broken Hearted - Coach

Sounds Four - Keep On Lovin' - Saintmo

Aristocrats - Loving You Is Mellow - Unissued

Act 1 - Goodbye Love (We're Through) - Spring

Bill Sampson - Stronger and Wronger - Motion

Frankie Sanders - Take Another Look - Juana

JJ Daniels - Mr Lonesome - SureShot

Ad Libs - Love Keeps Knocking At My Heart

Patrice Holloway - Sugar Coated Words

Oliver Norman - Drowning In My Own Despair - Decca

Kell Osborne - Can't Outsmart A Woman - Loma

Dealers - You Got It - Big Bunny

Larry chubby Reynolds - Sweet Tooth - Tri Spin

Soul City - I Shot For The Moon - Mercury

Ernest Sparks - I'll Be Glad - Soul O Sonic

Sugar Lumps - Won't You Help Me - Uptown

Jean Wells - With My Love - Calla

Mary Hunt - I Want To Love And Be Loved - Soul Mate

Ollie Jackson - Just A Little While - Pepper

Wallace Johnson - Baby Go Ahead - Sansu

Meditations - It's Wrong To Fight - Checker

Faithful Wonders - Ole John (Behold Thy Mother) - Checker

Benny Latimore - Girl I Got News For You - Dade

Chris Morgan - Who Am I - Bell

Composers - Chances Go Round - Complex 3

Gerri Daimond - Only You - Counterpart

Tina Florence - Too Much For Me Baby - Apt

something for most there I reckon, including plenty of cheapies!!

As for not about at many venues, It's something I don't really worry about, I did bookings week after week some years ago but these days I think too many promoters afraid to take a chance, they see what I have to say on here at times and think I will carry that over into my DJ sets and play to an empty floor for an hour or so :thumbsup: if I get a booking great, I will try and play a varied set to suit the dancefloor, don't think I've had too many complaints in the past. But if I never DJ'ed again it wouldn't worry me, I'm a collector first and foremost.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

As a teenager on the scene I noted down the rare ones , but I was glad Jocks played brilliant soul records I could aquire at the nighter or via Soul Bowl on a Monday morning .. after a little while I gave up chasing rare Northern and bought loads of cheap Modern soul and Unrare groove :thumbsup: No regrets at all !! .. :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

As a teenager on the scene I noted down the rare ones , but I was glad Jocks played brilliant soul records I could aquire at the nighter or via Soul Bowl on a Monday morning .. after a little while I gave up chasing rare Northern and bought loads of cheap Modern soul and Unrare groove :thumbsup: No regrets at all !! .. :thumbsup:
and we both had a full head of hair back then :thumbsup:
Social source share

2 Fabulous records and still under/around the £20 mark! And would certainly fit into that older chestnut 'If it was dog-rare, how much?' theory

Rich

NOT WISHING TO BE DISRESPECTFUL ,ONLY MHO BUT PERSONALLY "WHAT GOOD AM I " IS A NICE RECORD TO LISTEN TO ,BUT AS FOR DJ'N A RECORD TO DANCE TO ,ITS A FLOOR CLEARER!

NOW TSU TORONADOES-GOT TO GET THROUGH TO YOU,IS PROBABLY CHEAPER BUT IMHO FAR BETTER DANCEFLOOR MATERIAL OH AND WHILE WE ARE ON TSU "I STILL LOVE YOU" AGAIN DANCEFLOORABILITY(IS THAT A WORD) SUPERB! ONE IN TODAYS SALES ON OVIDE FOR £30!BE QUICK SOMEONE, BE4 IT GOES.AND BEFORE ANYONE SUGGESTS IT,ITS NOT ME SELLING IT!

NEV :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Hi Adam

As you say a cracking double sider that with a bit of luck should do well now if only i could find a few more copies :0).

Cheers Ruffsounds

Social source share

One of Seans many Clifton/Cleethorpes Bradford admirers :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Nice picture.

I remember it well.

It is you Steve isn't it?

Joking apart... did you ever break or play any cheapies... back in the day?

Always seem to remember you for Shadows, William Powell, Quit While I'm Ahead etc.

All decent money things at the time.

RSVP

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert