Do Soul Jocks Make Enough Money?

Guest j-g

Sorry but this is ballocks! As a promotor you need to cover your costs, and that includes paying the DJ people who have agreed to grace your venue. It's no good saying you don't know how many are going to turn up, you need to treat it as if enough people will turn up and have enough dosh in your old wallet to cover those costs. If punters don't turn up and you lose money, then sorry but don't promote gigs. It's simple really and a promotor should always pay their DJs - end of.......

EXACTLY :thumbsup:

Edited by epic
Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sorry but this is ballocks! As a promotor you need to cover your costs, and that includes paying the DJ people who have agreed to grace your venue. It's no good saying you don't know how many are going to turn up, you need to treat it as if enough people will turn up and have enough dosh in your old wallet to cover those costs. If punters don't turn up and you lose money, then sorry but don't promote gigs. It's simple really and a promotor should always pay their DJs - end of.......

Pretty much what i was trying to say in an earlier post! well said!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

When you put it like that how can anyone argue, i cant, spot on Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

What exactly are you saying is ballacks, because i seem to remember saying-

"we have always paid the agreed prices to all concerned." and

"If we run at a loss than that is our problem, that is the bottom line"

So I think we are in agreement, are we not?

Magoo

Social source share

What exactly are you saying is ballacks, because i seem to remember saying-

"we have always paid the agreed prices to all concerned." and

"If we run at a loss than that is our problem, that is the bottom line"

So I think we are in agreement, are we not?

Magoo

The suggestion that DJs should not be paid in full is ballacks. Glad we're agreed about that..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

The suggestion that DJs should not be paid in full is ballacks. Glad we're agreed about that..... :thumbsup:

Sorry, for some reason I thought you wre having a dig at me, but reading back, I see you hadn't quoted me. Please accept my humblest.

Yes, for sure , if you have booked a dj you have to agree a figure and stick to it. But don't you think that people who are asking to come and dj is another story?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

You support charlton , dont ya .. Youve got Steve G's team next year .. :yes:

My team the year after :thumbsup:

Would a promoter ever admit to making a profit, i dont think so in most cases, as it would be scorned upon by some i thinks,

Pay the DJ what you agree and then there is no argument is there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

My team the year after :thumbsup:Why, who do you support then? :thumbsup:

Would a promoter ever admit to making a profit, i dont think so in most cases, as it would be scorned upon by some i thinks,You'll know when we make a profit coz you'll start getting paid.

Pay the DJ what you agree and then there is no argument is there :yes:Clearly theres no arguing going on here. I'll have to try another thread. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Would a promoter ever admit to making a profit, i dont think so in most cases, as it would be scorned upon by some i thinks,

why would anyone scorn at making a profit ...... sign of a successful night surely ? i'm sure anyone running the big niters makes money from it and why shouldn't they , i'd love to make a profit then spend it all on tunes lolol

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

You support charlton , dont ya .. Youve got Steve G's team next year .. :thumbsup:

Yeah, if Boogaloo at Greenwich coincides with Charlton v Palace, p'raps he might want to come with me while I celebrate a Charlton victory! :thumbsup:

Oh, it's good to be back down, means we might win a few! :yes:

Social source share

Yeah, if Boogaloo at Greenwich coincides with Charlton v Palace, p'raps he might want to come with me while I celebrate a Charlton victory! :thumbsup:

Oh, it's good to be back down, means we might win a few! :thumbsup:

I think you'll be straight back up mate .. you can bash the Palace , and be " Glad all over" hahahha

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

Somat like, tha dunt do nowt fo nowt unless its fo thi sen.

HOWEVER, just to be in front of 3000 punters playing a quality toon, a little less known ( perhaps - My Sweet Baby - The Esquires, or similar) MUST be worth it for the minute of fame.

Ed

Precisely! By the way what did your dog look like after you ironed him? :thumbsup:

Edited by kent soul club
Social source share

Guest kent soul club

Attention seeking hoond. Sunday neet. Shut the Mutt up by making him the COA. 5 MINS back in check. Watch Heartbeat in Peace. Tha nos ow it is.

Ed

Oh yes! my mutt is telling me he's an hour late for his last walkies of the day. Better go.

Magoo

Social source share

Guest kev such

If you are asking a "Name" dj to come and do a spot you have to ask them what the damage is going to be. This is what we have done, and the couple that we have had have been more than fair.

On the other hand, if someone asks to dj for us, than I assume they are happy just to dj for the enjoyment of it.

I don't think Northern Soul makes millionaires of many people, and thats why most of the people on the scene are genuine, down to earth people.

Magoo

Have to agree with that. At the Cracker Me and the other resident DJ's have a gentlemans agreement, i.e. scratchy back system. However now that we have a couple of guests each time, then the guests will and do get paid for their services. Also if they have to travel, i will either book them into accommadation or pay their traveling expenses.I agree with the statement that if i approach someone to do a spot then it is only right that they should be paid for their services. If a named DJ comes to do a spot, then invariably they will bring along a crowd, which is great for the venue. So not to pay them would be rude. However when i am approached by a DJ to do a spot and i can fit them in, i work on the assumption that as they have asked me and me not asked them initialy i also believe that they want to do it for varying reasons and not neccessarily for a wage.

Regards

Kev.

Edited by kev such
Social source share

On reading this thread I noticed the bit about 1 hour sets. It's something I've never quite understood. Most DJ's would rather the opportunity to be up there for more than an hour, christ they've travelled far enough a lot of the time, well certainly if they're up in the North-East.

We went along these lines with our recent event in Sunderland with our two headline DJ's Mark Bickenell & James Trouble happy to oblige us with Hour & a half spots ... and then more by doing spots in our second room as well. For us this meant we didn't have to get someone else, incurring more costs - it was our first one and we were on a strict budget! In fact our 2nd room was built around the idea that all DJ's have a special niche interest within the soul genre and utilised everyone in that way. I think it worked well with lots of interest with what was going on and rave reviews about all our guests efforts in there.

All the guests helped us in promoting the event, not least Mark's plugs on Solar Radio. I'm sure the airtime we were given would have exceeded his small fee many times over. Our travelling jocks (no offence Mr. Brass) would've been lucky if after travel expenses and some sustinance they left the North-East in the black. They were their because of a desire to share their love of soul music and I'm sure this is generally the case.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert