Six Soul Survivors - It's Over My Head

post-4912-1181337386_thumb.jpgGreat Northern 45 I just picked up from L.A by 'The Six Soul Survivors' - 'It's Over My Head / Gotta Find A Way' ....2 blistering (Blue Eyed?) tunes with It's Over My Head just shading it, great dancer!

£100 in Tim Brown's not mentioned in Manship's.

Production credits a G.Soule, is this George Soule who's name i've seen pop up on soul tunes before?

Anybody know anything about this group or the record?

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anybody know anything about this group or the record?

Yes it is George "Get Involved" Soule... the the man behind many great tunes for such artists as Archie Bell, Bobby Bland, Judy Clay, Arthur Connely, Etta James, Dorothy Moore, The Patterson Singers, Dan Penn, Esther Phillips, Wilson Pickett, Lloyd Price, James and Bobby Purify, Percy Sledge, Mavis Staples, Candi Staton, Johnnie Taylor, Ruben Howell, The Temptations, Joe Tex, Dee Dee Warwick, Pep Brown, Bobby Womack....

.....and (along with Terry Woodford) Paul Thompsons "Special Kind Of Woman" / "What I Don't Know"

Soule is up there with Dan penn, Donnie Fritts, Eddie Hinton etc Blue Eyed Soul Genius (IMO).

See the credits George Soule on a 45... just buy it!

To confirm, the group was Blue Eyed, headed up by Paul Davis, the writer of your 45 (and himself, later a Malaco writer, pairing up with George Soule).

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

• 3 months later...

I was fascinated to read these positings as the Six Soul Survivors are featured prominently on a website I run about the music of Paul Davis - best known for his pop and country recordings but also a great soul writer, notably in his work at Malaco and with George Soule in the late sixties.

Details of the Six Soul Survivors recording are here:

Paul Davis Singles

And some memories from a former member of the Six Soul Survivors are here:

Paul Davis Memories

I've been searching for this record for years, with no luck - it simply never turns up.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert