Off Centre Pressings

NEV

HI ALL

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A COPY OF "TRYING TO GET TO YOU"-IMPERIAL WONDERS ON BLACK PRINCE.

WHEN I PLAYED IT ,IT SEEMS TO ME ,PRESSED OFF CENTRE AND I'M SURE IT SOUNDS DISTORTED ,ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNING .WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE,WHO OWNS THIS RECORD HAS NOTICED SAME ?

DON'T THINK "BLACK PRINCE" IS A BIG LABEL AND MAYBE THEY WERE MASTERED THIS WAY WHEN ORIGINALLY PRESSED AND THE OFF CENTRE IS IRELEVANT RATHER THAN CAUSE??

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

THANKS

NEV :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

HI ALL

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A COPY OF "TRYING TO GET TO YOU"-IMPERIAL WONDERS ON BLACK PRINCE.

WHEN I PLAYED IT ,IT SEEMS TO ME ,PRESSED OFF CENTRE AND I'M SURE IT SOUNDS DISTORTED ,ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNING .WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE,WHO OWNS THIS RECORD HAS NOTICED SAME ?

DON'T THINK "BLACK PRINCE" IS A BIG LABEL AND MAYBE THEY WERE MASTERED THIS WAY WHEN ORIGINALLY PRESSED AND THE OFF CENTRE IS IRELEVANT RATHER THAN CAUSE??

THANKS

NEV :thumbsup:

Hi Nev

I will check my copy, I'm at work tonight but I can look tomorrow. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Sue Males

Hi Nev,

Only record I have on that label is the Soul Suspects - Funky Drop, & that plays badly off centre.

Talking about that, can anyone sell me one that doesn't play off centre please.

Thanks,

Sue.

Social source share

Guest upsetterfc

HI ALL

THANKS

NEV thumbsup.gif

Speaking from experience with off-center 45s, the sound distortion caused by being off-center is most noticeable towards the end of the 45. Most 45s that are off slightly play OK with a little distortion or pitch change towards the end of the track.

If the distortion from being off-center is at the beginning, it probably can't play through since the sway will pull the needle off the groove before you get 3/4 of the way through the track. So if it plays through OK, the start distortion is a bad master, plate or vinyl.

Social source share

On the subject of off centre pressings -

I have a copy of Eddie Whitehead which is pressed off centre, so badly that the last owner had doctored a curly type plastic centre and cellotaped this in!

Darent risk removing as I dont know whats worse - off centre or damaged label! looks none too pretty in its current state!

M

Social source share

Guest franky m

On the subject of off centre pressings -

I have a copy of Eddie Whitehead which is pressed off centre, so badly that the last owner had doctored a curly type plastic centre and cellotaped this in!

Darent risk removing as I dont know whats worse - off centre or damaged label! looks none too pretty in its current state!

M

Hi Mark , sellotape can be removed with amberklene fe 10 , a fast drying solvent , it dissolves the glue without damaging the label , or vinyl , any excess glue can be wiped off gently , on dark labels you might end up with a light stain where the tape was , but no stickyness , this works on most stuck on labels to , frank m

Social source share

Hi Mark , sellotape can be removed with amberklene fe 10 , a fast drying solvent , it dissolves the glue without damaging the label , or vinyl , any excess glue can be wiped off gently , on dark labels you might end up with a light stain where the tape was , but no stickyness , this works on most stuck on labels to , frank m

Beware, it melts Styrene.

I had a go at cleaning some really poor conditon records with it and it flattened the groove.

Social source share

Guest franky m

Beware, it melts Styrene.

I had a go at cleaning some really poor conditon records with it and it flattened the groove.

yes some strene can be unstable , but it still works well if used with care on the label , and is totaly safe on vinyl , but i would only recomend it for sticker removal and not cleaning records . frank m

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert