• Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest rachel

Tut... play nicely boys :)

One more day to go in the voting.. never mind the local elections or the Big Brother evictions, this is obviously the big issue of the year :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

:yes: Mike - the next poll will be around how the Carstairs was first discovered - two very different stories there too.....

Do elaborate... :shades:

The poll was biased from the start giving too many options!

I felt that this complex issue required a wide range of possible responses, tomorrow's final results will be subject to thorough statistical analysis to give an accurate and fair representation of the situation. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Do elaborate... :rolleyes:

Story 1 is something like:

"I was driving in my car (when I was 16-ahem) and this record came on the radio.....I just had to get it so I went and traced down the radio station and got them to look up the playlist, and find the record. I got the details of the label but when I rang them I found they had gone bust about 6 months previously"

Story 2 is something like "I found it in the 50p bin at Soul Bowl"

Sorry, as always I am being a bit mischevous Rachel. wicked.gif

Social source share

Story 1 is something like:

"I was driving in my car (when I was 16-ahem) and this record came on the radio.....I just had to get it so I went and traced down the radio station and got them to look up the playlist, and find the record. I got the details of the label but when I rang them I found they had gone bust about 6 months previously"

Story 2 is something like "I found it in the 50p bin at Soul Bowl"

Sorry, as always I am being a bit mischevous Rachel. wicked.gif

hi steve thanks for that i always remembered story one but that brought back story 2, however the first one i remember is story one so i am sticking with that one :rolleyes:

hope that makes some sense.

mark

Social source share

Guest bill storey

I like it, I can't help it, I know bugger all about lables, issues or any of that all I know is it makes me smile and want to dance a bit. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest rachel

Well, after three days, the results are in - around 67% of the voters have positive views about the record, about 19% are neutral, leaving 14% who have good taste, er I mean, dislike it :rolleyes:

Taking this out of a total membership of 3881, it could be said that about 3% like this record, while 0.3% of the forum members think they're Pete Smith... ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Dante

Well, after three days, the results are in - around 67% of the voters have positive views about the record, about 19% are neutral, leaving 14% who have good taste, er I mean, dislike it :rolleyes:

Taking this out of a total membership of 3881, it could be said that about 3% like this record, while 0.3% of the forum members think they're Pete Smith... ohmy.gif

And wich is the percentage of psychologists who can deal with our schizophrenia? :shades:

But, let's be realistic. Who would be accept being analyzed by some who likes the Carstairs? if that's nut being absolutely mad then what is it?

Cheers

Social source share

Guest Jamie

What's the opposite of silent majority? :shades:

Social source share

Well, after three days, the results are in - around 67% of the voters have positive views about the record, about 19% are neutral, leaving 14% who have good taste, er I mean, dislike it whistling.gif

Taking this out of a total membership of 3881, it could be said that about 3% like this record, while 0.3% of the forum members think they're Pete Smith... :ohmy:

And 3,600 Soul Source members couldn't care less!

Amusing though it has been, I thought this debate was done and dusted in 1975/76 unsure.gif

Good to see we've all moved on............ :(

PS I Like The Carstairs but am sick of hearing it!

Dave

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

And 3,600 Soul Source members couldn't care less!

Amusing though it has been, I thought this debate was done and dusted in 1975/76 :(

Good to see we've all moved on............ whistling.gif

PS I Like The Carstairs but am sick of hearing it!

Dave

Err, I was 5 years old then mate.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I like it and given i could post up a top 100 i am sure Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl would be in it. That song is also Blackpool Mecca classic at his best. Don't mock it play it

Social source share

The thing is that everybody will dislike some records that the majority like.

In the same way everybody will like some records that the majority dislike.

There lies the greatness of this scene, where musical preference opinions 'should' be respected.

This particular song did open the door to a change in style from the traditional 60s Detroit / Motown / Stax sound, in a similar way that today some of the stuff played at a Northern Soul event is way too slow or too rock and roll to have been considered 30 years ago.

In any case, like it or not, it will always be an important part of the scenes history.

Personally as long as I only hear it 2 or 3 time a year, its always welcome.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Channel Four Film: reviewed by Mel-vin Brat

CARSTAIRS-PLAY

Based on the Book "GOODBYE TO BORIN' (oldies)" by Christopher Isherwood

A harrowing tale of blind intolerance and grossly bad taste set against the backdropping antics of the German Vee-Jay Republic of 1919-1933. The film is set around a North Berlin Soul club, where self-absorbed Silly Bowlegs persues her career as a All-Night Cabaret DJ, seemingly unaware of the growing mayhem encroaching on her lifestyle.

The hyper-inflation of rare-Soul prices, and mass unemployment in record pressing plants creates an climate where extremism thrives. Anything seen as remotely "Modern" is anethema to a small-minded group of brainless neo-fascists in baggy trousers who rampage around "pretending" to smash up any record that doesn't fit the definitions of 'das Uber-Northern', as laid down by their delusional, self-proclaimed "Fuerer" in his semi-literate booklet 'Mein Kopf Hurts, Duhh!'

The film's poignant theme song perfectly evokes the sultry, emotion-charged atmosphere of the Vee-Jay Republic, as the whole scene slides (with the aid of copius amounts of talc!), inexorably toward mind numbing banality, and a new dark age threatens to submerge all that is even remotely soulful and replace it with "rare" uptempo pop tunes and jack-bootlegs...

post-4950-1181161223_thumb.jpg

Too near the truth mate! :thumbsup:

Social source share